Healing the Gut Tribe ~ February - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 443 Old 02-21-2006, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zsel
Ok-I am reading and reading, and wonder if any of you can tell me where to start. I know my family has yeast issues and maybe even food allergies. We eat "healthy" and "organic" mostly vegetarian, few to no processed food. But we rely on grains for most of our meals-rice/beans, pasta, breads. I don't know where to start-looking into NT and the SCD, reading about suppliments and enzymes-it's just overwhelming. I appreciate any ideas and attempts to point me in the right direction! Thank you!
Ah... the diet that led to my problems too! Whole grains, if not soaked, will lead to digestive problems as the phytic acid in them impairs digestive enzymes. Also binds to minerals and can cause deficiencies. Whole grains if not digested fully, ferment in the intestines and feed yeast.

read Beginners section here: www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info for SCD explanation.

NT approach is to soak grains and use fermented dairy and veggies to provide enzymes: http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/be_kind.html
You might want to read the Vegetarian Tour at the Weston Price website too, very eye opening.

All about enzyme supplements here: www.enzymestuff.com including treating yeast with enzymes.

It also makes a big difference as to what oils you use... your immune and digestive system.

I know it's overwhelming, but keep reading, you'll be an expert in no time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 443 Old 02-21-2006, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
Ok, I'm sold on this approach but I don't know how to start.

I ordered the book.

I'm very confused trying to figure out what we can eat at first.

Where might I find dry curd cottage cheese?

Also, I'm anemic and on iron. What should I do?

And we are ttc. I'll know in a few days if we were sucessful this cycle. Can I/should I try to follow this while pg?
Dry curd cottage cheese info here: http://www.scdiet.org/8resources/drycurd_sources.html
We use Friendship.

What kind of iron are you taking? I think Floradix or whatever that herbal stuff is called is supposed to be easier on the gut... artificial iron is very hard on the intestines.

I think this diet is perfectly nutritious to eat while pregnant especially if you need to knock out yeast problems. Also see the "Preppying for Pregnancy" thread in Vaccinations.
#243 of 443 Old 02-21-2006, 08:37 PM

Ok here we are on day 2 of scd.

I have had a lot happen in the past 24 hours so I thought I would update you.

Yesterday I noticed that I felt the same as I feel when I am fasting, except I'm not hungry. That is, I feel fuzzy headed. It is difficult to make complete sentences, esp when talking. I keep forgetting important words. I keep getting distracted from what I'm trying to do as well.

I saw my Dr yesterday and she confirmed that I do have a bad yeast rash on my bottom and recomended zink and weleda diaper care cream to deal with it. (no idea why that zink had those extra ingredients she was shocked too and took it back to her office to look into it). She also offered me nystantin if I want it although she suggested waiting till a month or two into the diet to start it. I'm considering it. She didn't think I would stick with the diet. She doesn't know how badly I want more sleep. She also tested me for celiacs although we both think that by now it will probably come back negative even if I have it. Apparently the newest stats on that is 1 in 111 americans have celiacs!

Ok so fast forward to today. I went to my chiro. He was supposed to be starting me on some fertility enhancing stuff, but I told him about following the diet (he has read the book) and he decided we need to wait this out for a while. He put me on two things one to support my liver and one to support my gall bladder. I'll have to look up the names.

One more thing then I have to go rescue my upset dd from my dh. She is constipated, badly, for the first time in her life. Too much protein not enough veggies. What can I give her? Are stewed prunes ok?

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#244 of 443 Old 02-21-2006, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
On my 4th attempt to make yogurt, I began heating it to the required 180 degrees and as soon as it reached 100 it began to curdle and seperate. Did I get a bad batch of milk to begin with? It smelled kind of yucky when I opened it up.

On my 2nd attempt, I actually used some yummy looking and smelling raw jersey cow milk. The yogurt came out looking and smelling and tasting pretty good (a little sour tasting) but I tossed it out because I know that my oven did not maintain the proper temp overnight. :

So . . . what' up? Am I destined NEVER to eat this stuff???????????????????

I think I got TWO rotten batches of raw milk in a row. Am I right? What do you all think?

Now I have to wait 'til TUesday to get the good jersey milk again.
ARGH. Any luck yet? When mine curdles it means it got too hot. I wouldn't have tossed the raw milk yogurt, just cultured it longer at proper temp to eat up all the lactose. I should be very sour when done (if you are using acidophilus), as all the milk sugar should be gone and the lactic acid bacteria tastes sour. I use the Progurt L. casei starter for DS b/c it's dairy free (he can only do goat milk) from www.giprohealth.com and it is a more mild tasting bacteria.
#245 of 443 Old 02-21-2006, 08:40 PM

I absolutely believe that you can heal yourself from celiac disease. I am not at all sure that you can go back to eating the S.A.D. when you've done it though. I think that if you take the time to properly prepare grains it can be done. I am working with my homeopath on this right now. I believe that a combination of the SCD and her remedy along with enzymes and some of the supplements I am using will cure both of us.
Ditto to what Jane said about your sensitivity being your babes...The way an exclusively bf baby gets allergies is because YOUR gut is leaking. That means the SCD is something you can do together! Think of the bonding
#246 of 443 Old 02-21-2006, 08:47 PM

Floradix + Iron is a very good supplement and I believe is legal...there's alot you can do naturally but that isn't compatible with the diet.
#247 of 443 Old 02-21-2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
Ditto to what Jane said about your sensitivity being your babes...The way an exclusively bf baby gets allergies is because YOUR gut is leaking. That means the SCD is something you can do together! Think of the bonding

:
#248 of 443 Old 02-21-2006, 08:52 PM

Pattyla, the die-off floored me too! It will be over soon. As for the yeast rash-you can do GSE internally and externally. You can also put a couple of drops of tea tree oil in your underwear. IT will provide some great relief from the discomfort...just put a couple of drops spaced out around the seat of the underwear. GSE taken internally or externally has to be diluted...15 drops in a 5 ounce glass of water is what I do every couple of hours. I also take pascalite clay to help with the die-off. You can also use the same dilution for a "bottom rub". Zinc is a great idea as it will help in gut healing as well-just find a very good brand that's ONLY zinc and preferably liquid. You can take 25-30 mg a day.
#249 of 443 Old 02-21-2006, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
ARGH. Any luck yet? When mine curdles it means it got too hot. I wouldn't have tossed the raw milk yogurt, just cultured it longer at proper temp to eat up all the lactose. I should be very sour when done (if you are using acidophilus), as all the milk sugar should be gone and the lactic acid bacteria tastes sour. I use the Progurt L. casei starter for DS b/c it's dairy free (he can only do goat milk) from www.giprohealth.com and it is a more mild tasting bacteria.
I used a tbl. of Dannon for starter. I got some yummy looking & smelling milk. I think I've got a good batch going right now.
#250 of 443 Old 02-21-2006, 10:25 PM

The guy at the hfs told dh I should be eating kefir & that the milk he sold me will seperate & that the yogurt will turn out looking curdled when it's done

Then he said something that made me laugh. Granted, I am new at this but this just sounded : That kefir has a left spriral and yogurt has a right spiral which was his reasoning for dh to buy some kefir too. (I know kefir is scd illegal.) Anybody ever heard of this?

I think he was 'cause he didn't want to admit he sold us a rotten product.
#251 of 443 Old 02-21-2006, 10:40 PM

http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

Actually, kefir is pretty good. Too bad it's SCD illegal(but what isn't? geez)

Janice, car seat tech, wife to M since 7/99, mom to C since 4/02 and S since 12/09
#252 of 443 Old 02-21-2006, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAnt
What you're saying makes sense to me, but how else do you figure out allergies when babies are young and allergy testing is faulty? OR are you meaning that it doesn't matter which foods you're intolerant of/allergic to if you are healing the gut?
Yes, because often just taking out one or two foods do not heal the gut... even in some cases of celiac disease. There is an underlying reason why these allergies/intolerances exist. At the root of that is the condition of the intestinal villi and the enzymes they are able to produce, and the type of intestinal flora that exists.

More on SCD and celiac disease, behavioral issues and allergies:
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...ass_exerpt.htm
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...ac_disease.htm
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i.../allergies.htm

The SCD is based on Dr. Sidney Haas' *cure* for celiac disease. I know celiacs very well, one of my best friends is, and a kid in DS's longtime playgroup is... and they still have symptoms on a GF diet.

The medical establishment, by basing it's theory on a genetic cause, is doing them a grave disservice by ignoring the intestinal flora contribution of this. And what I've learned is that a disease of nutrition in the parents can be passed on "genetically" to the child if the same nutritional deficiency exists. After all, just like autism, celiac disease is now at epidemic levels. And there is no such thing as a genetic epidemic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAnt
Do you just start SCD including offending foods? If not, at what point do you re-introduce them?
I think you have to make an educated guess. In the case of a child under 2, the top allergens should not be given at first anyway: dairy, eggs, wheat, fish, nuts, soy. I would try egg yolk first. Then yogurt, nuts, fish. Wheat when healing has taken place. Soy never, unless it's fermented soy sauce or miso, but that's me.

Another issue is the form of the food you eat:

I could have told you emphatically that I was allergic or intolerant to nuts. Gave me horrible gas pains, obviously I could not digest them. Well, what was I eating... whole nuts. And not soaked too which inhibits digestive enzymes. Once I started SCD and began making homemade nut butters from soaked nuts... not a rumble. Then after a bit, tried nut flour, I was totally fine. It wasn't until significant healing happened that I could handle whole nuts (and I still have to pay attention to chewing them very well.)

The same with dairy... I had a conversation with someone who will not try the SCD for her long time colitis for the nut reason and also dairy. She swears she's lactose intolerant, etc. still can't eat yogurt, etc etc. But 24 hr. yogurt contains no lactose. Butter and cheese only have tiny traces. She could be allergic to dairy protein but if it's just the lactose, the SCD will help her b/c yogurt has the probiotic in it that will colonize and start the gut producing lactase enzymes.

Also raw fruit that I went into in an above post re: yeast. You need to start with cooked fruit first. Same with raw veggies and being able to digest them.
#253 of 443 Old 02-21-2006, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
Jane, I know I posted here (very gently pushing towards this forum!!), but I have also been on boards with people with celiac disease, and other various food allergies and intolerances doing these ridiculously intense elimination diets. In fact a while back I referred one mama here who was eating like seven foods. It's a big problem IMO. I'm just lucky to have found you and Moneca back in August! I was also lucky to have a doc and an LC who said the same thing to me. Elimintaion diets just produce more allergies. That's how I initially found quercetin and MSM. I feel blessed to have all the right people in my life.
And you are passing it on, so thank you too!

What recently prompted me to post my little treatise above was the post the user "splash" made in breastfeeding about her partner who was bf'ing their DS with an immune system problem and she ate nothing but rice for a whole month. Hello deficient breastmilk.
#254 of 443 Old 02-21-2006, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I'm torn about starting this diet now and just putting away the "bad" foods (that aren't perishable) or putting it off a week. My dd and I have a cold and dh has a migrane and a stomach ache today (he has far more gi "issues" than we do).

It says lots of places to do the intro diet untill the diahrea stops. None of us currently have diahrea. Will we get it on the intro diet or does the diet assume that is an issue for everyone doing this? If we don't have diahrea do we need to do the intro or can we skip right to stage 1?
I think it says if you don't have D, just do the Intro Diet for 2 days. It's important to do to "clear the decks".

Migraine and stomach ache are probably a direct result of the condition of his gut.

The stages on Pecanbread are just suggestions. Officially there is no set SCD schedule for introducing foods ex. yogurt you are supposed to go slow.
#255 of 443 Old 02-21-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
One more question.

Would something like nystantin or diflucan be beneficial/legal on this diet? Does anyone know of the dangers of these drugs esp in light of our ttc status (I'm 6 dpo today)?
Enzymes are much safer and probably more effective as they don't have the side effects.
http://www.enzymestuff.com/conditionbacteria.htm

Starting enzymes and hydrochloric acid supplements will help a great deal.

Nystatin doesn't have a very good track record at all. Diflucan like Amanda mentioned, has the liver issue, plus it's HORRIBLE side effects.
#256 of 443 Old 02-21-2006, 11:39 PM

Quick question...
Ok i mentioned earlier that I have a sensativity to casein... does this mean I should NOT do the yoghurt? I honestly don't really know my sensitivity symptoms. I don't get headaches or diahrrea so how will know if it affects me. I found out about my sensativities through my natural nutritionalist. She tested me with the "Omega AcuBase" which uses a system of measurment known as the Galvanic Skin Response, or skin conductance, as an idicator of stress. Other things listed are whey, cow's milk & goats milk. So I am just wondering if with the process of making the yoghurt, will it make it ok to ingest & digest??
I know there is the dairy free portion of the SCD but I am just wondering if the yoghurt could be ok since I honestly don't see the results of eating dairy. I guess you could say I just feel unwell mentally from it, but I only noticed that since I have become more intune with my body!
#257 of 443 Old 02-21-2006, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2twins
WOW, I am new to MDC and I was just browsing this thread since I love Nutrition. I also have leaky gut/food sensitivites and best of all Candida. My head is spinning with all this new found information. I have been doing a "candida diet" now for 2 weeks and honestly I haven't any "die off" symptoms. I have lost weight but thats about it. I was hoping for some really great healing crisis symptoms.
Anyway I browsed through the SCD and it makes me skeptical that it would help with yeast overgrowth if you are eating such foods as fruits, vinegars and fungus (mushrooms) & sweets. So does this diet really help with that or is it more with actually "bowel" issues like colitis & IBS?
Is the answer that the foods you are eating are going to be healing the gut so therefor the Candida will die off?? I just can't wrap my head around that being true yet I want to.
My other concern is the dairy. I have learned a lot about dairy over the last little while and how bad it can be for you since it is mucous forming, so if someone can explain that to me please help me understand why it would be good for you. I have cut dairy out of my diet for quite sometime now and I can totally see a difference in me, so introducing dairy back in would be very scary to me, especially since I do have a casein allergy.
I personally have issues with meat too, though I have been eating it while doing the candida diet, but I have to say that seeing pork as legal was a shock because in ALL stuff I have read pork is a no always!

Anywho, this chat has REALLY intrigued me. I feel pretty knowledgable for the most part of nutrition and this is ALL new to me. SO I guess being so interested in try to heal myself I just need a little more comfort in knowing that THIS diet would solve my problems.

TIA!!... wow, is really all I can say, lol!
So glad to have you here!

See my post #238 re: yeast issues. And I can tell you from personal experience it totally works for yeast! Bowel and yeast issues have the same exact cause: flora imbalance. The food you are eating will either be fully absorbed (fruit and honey) or not feeding yeast and bacteria (nuts, proteins).

Just try it and see, I noticed a difference immediately when I stopped the grains.

Re: dairy

Well there's dairy and then there's dairy... the 24 hr. yogurt not only has no lactose and predigested proteins, but it also contains 5x more probiotics in one TEASPOON than most capsules on the market.

Goat's milk casein structure is smaller, and also I think it has more whey? I posted several months back on it. My DS can only do goat yogurt, so I know it is indeed different. You can tell the protein is different b/c the goat yogurt does not gel up like cow yogurt does b/c the protein matrix doesn't form the same with the lactic acid bacteria of the yogurt. Also the fat molecules are smaller, goat milk doesn't need to be homogenized to stay emulsified.

Personally I use raw grass fed milk and I cannot say enough about it. Search on my name for "raw milk" posts. Raw is completely different than pasteurized. I like to say raw milk is to pasteurized milk as breastmilk is to formula! But SCD does not require raw milk and in fact doesn't want you to make yogurt without heating it to 185 beforehand, which I do not do with raw so as not to kill the amino acids, some vitamins, immunoglobulins, enzymes and change the protein structure.

Re: pork

I hardly ever eat pork b/c of my reading of "Nourishing Traditions" but I guess the SCD works if you eat pork or not, as far as I know it's not inherently damaging to the intestines? NT's concern is the cancer issue, even with organic. The Maker's Diet forbids pork but really doesn't go into detail the scientific reason why.
#258 of 443 Old 02-21-2006, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth
I was hoping that I would be free of the migraines at least, though.
Karen DeFelice's book talks all about migraines and using enzymes for it. There's barely anything on her site though www.enzymestuff.com
#259 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 12:01 AM

Quote:
mama_b,
Here's the original link. I just read it through for the first time last week.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=295112
I feel so loved that this is still being read...

Everyone please say a special prayer for Moneca and Sierra, the poor bunny is still struggling.
#260 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 12:05 AM

Jane ~ Thanks for the info. I wish I could do the raw milk but where I live i just don't know how to find that. This is the type of goats milk I buy http://www.goatmilkcanada.com/ ... is there anything I should ask them to make sure its a good product?

Would you be able to anwser my question a few posts up too , TIA!!
#261 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Personally I use raw grass fed milk and I cannot say enough about it. Search on my name for "raw milk" posts. Raw is completely different than pasteurized. I like to say raw milk is to pasteurized milk as breastmilk is to formula! But SCD does not require raw milk and in fact doesn't want you to make yogurt without heating it to 185 beforehand, which I do not do with raw so as not to kill the amino acids, some vitamins, immunoglobulins, enzymes and change the protein structure.
My raw milk looked & smelled sooo good. I don't want to lose all the good stuff by heating it either! How do you do it?
#262 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra375
I'm reading stuff from Jordan Rubin, The Makers Diet is the 1 book I have, but I was reading reviews on his others. I recently purchased the Great Physician's RX. I've read reviews on him and that mainstream his ideas of eating dirt make him a quack, but I think he has a lot to offer in terms of healing the gut without having to eat his prescribed dirt!!! Actually, I never got that he was prescribing people to eat dirt, just that our soil is deficient in quality therefore our foods are lacking -- thus restore soil, restore nutrition to food. And since we grow a good number of our own veggies and fruits from Apr thur Nov, I figured a good lesson in biochemistry of organic soil was in order -- not eating dirt as some critic so out of context put it. Anyway, Restoring Your Digestive Health is one I'd like to get my hands on as well.

I sometimes wonder if there is way to heal him for life without adhering to GF diet for life. I know scientific evidence is lacking, so I'm sort of forced to believe that he does infact need to be GF for life. But a part of me thinks this just can't be, I have a hard time with believing God designed my son to not be able to eat wheat and I can. Why is my son's design not perfect kind of question... Another part of me thinks that wheat grain in general isn't likely healthy for anyone now that it's been so hybrid and taken from it's natural design.
See this link re: SCD and the Cure for Celiac Disease
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...ac_disease.htm

Rubin's Garden of Life Primal Defense probiotics recommended in The Maker's Diet are HSO's: Homeostatic Soil Organisms. We were talking about them a bit in the Nutrition/Immunology 101 thread in Vaccinations. There is so little scientific evidence about consuming them. The theory being that they are supposed to live on our produce in properly enriched soil, and we consume them that way, but chemical pesticides and such has killed them.

I think the evidence for lactic acid bacteria probiotics as a food source is much stronger and has a historical basis in food supplementation (Metchnikoff and the Bulgarians).

I think the idea that the body has been created a certain way does not take into consideration that we are now under significant assault from so many things that damage our gut and immune systems: vaccinations, chlorine in our water, mercury in our dental fillings, birth control pills, antibiotics and other medications, and the pesticides/herbicide/fungicides/antibiotics/hormones in our food. Not to mention that our food because of improper soil, breeding and storage practices doesn't even contain the amount of nutrients it is supposed to.

I FULLY believe our bodies were meant to be disease free but that we are not eating the proper diet to support that:
http://www.westonaprice.org/traditio...ry_wisdom.html

Also, along the same lines of my food rants above, there is wheat and then there is wheat... traditional societies soaked whole grains or made long rising sourdough bread to remove digestive irritants but minerals remain intact. Our bodies were not meant to eat fluffy yeasted white bread devoid of nutrients. Or processed sugar, and a large amount of it too. Or trans fats. Or artificial colors. Etc. etc.

Our bodies are not meant to take everything we throw at it and continue on just the same.
#263 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Ok here we are on day 2 of scd.

I have had a lot happen in the past 24 hours so I thought I would update you.

Yesterday I noticed that I felt the same as I feel when I am fasting, except I'm not hungry. That is, I feel fuzzy headed. It is difficult to make complete sentences, esp when talking. I keep forgetting important words. I keep getting distracted from what I'm trying to do as well.

I saw my Dr yesterday and she confirmed that I do have a bad yeast rash on my bottom and recomended zink and weleda diaper care cream to deal with it. (no idea why that zink had those extra ingredients she was shocked too and took it back to her office to look into it). She also offered me nystantin if I want it although she suggested waiting till a month or two into the diet to start it. I'm considering it. She didn't think I would stick with the diet. She doesn't know how badly I want more sleep. She also tested me for celiacs although we both think that by now it will probably come back negative even if I have it. Apparently the newest stats on that is 1 in 111 americans have celiacs!

Ok so fast forward to today. I went to my chiro. He was supposed to be starting me on some fertility enhancing stuff, but I told him about following the diet (he has read the book) and he decided we need to wait this out for a while. He put me on two things one to support my liver and one to support my gall bladder. I'll have to look up the names.

One more thing then I have to go rescue my upset dd from my dh. She is constipated, badly, for the first time in her life. Too much protein not enough veggies. What can I give her? Are stewed prunes ok?
Yep, sounds like die off to me! Fuzzy head is familiar.

That's cool that you are seeing a chiro too, herbal support can do a lot too. Like Firefaery said, you can add things to the diet to enhance healing.

RE: constipation
If all you have is stewed prunes, they are okay as long as no sugars, I would puree them if she is having digestive issues though b/c of the skins. You can also boil down prune juice and put in orange juice .... see constipation links here in Knowledge Base:
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...ase/a_to_f.htm

Die off can increase constipation. C is also a symptom of imbalanced gut flora just as diarrhea is.

Magnesium can be helpful for constipation too but I really dont' know if it's irritating to the gut. My DS doesn't do well on it.
#264 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 12:41 AM

Quote:
I shouldn't have used the word "allergy"... i guess its more of a sensativity since I never knew I was "sensative" to it until I was tested for allergies. Very interesting about the raw dairy though. It makes me sad cause I odn't know where I can get raw dairy here in Winnipeg. When I was living in Nova Scotia I had a raw goat farmer right in my town and we did eat the yogurt. I LOVE cheese and yogurt so if I could eat it and still be healthy I would be THRILLED!!!... Now I just need to find out how I can get it.

Oh do you all do organic meat? I just cannot afford organic meat, there is just no way. For a pound of beef its 8$ and for a little tiny chicken its 12$. I guess that would help me eat less portion. Because I couldn't afford meat I figured I just wouldn't eat it. I do eat wild salmon though. So if I can't get organic meat does that mean I shouldn't consume meat, how does that work?
(Wow, you sure do make some cute kids )

Yeah, raw milk is technivally illegal in Canada, it's soooo bizarre! Sometimes you can find a cow share type thing I think.
Here are some links for cheeses though: http://www.realmilk.com/where-other.html#can
You can also contact your Weston Price chapter leader:
http://www.westonaprice.org/localcha...llist.html#can

The diet works if you don't do organic meat... but once you learn about the antibiotics that are in conventional meats it makes sense to try for organic. You also can do the diet as a vegetarian with cheese and eggs for protein. I used to be vegetarian, but I was more towards the dangerous vegan end of it...and all those whole grains, pulses and vegetable oils murdered my gut.

Alaskan salmon is excellent, very low to no mercury.
#265 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 12:46 AM

Quote:
DD seems to be EXTRA fussy today & did NOT sleep much at all last night. Is it normal for intolerances to certain foods to *really* be apparent at this stage? I'm suspecting tomato sauce in my diet. (scd legal)

We have an appt w/ a ped allergist/immunologist on Monday. Her violent reaction to the chicken prompted that. I hope I'm doing the right thing by going down this road. I'm so tired and worried and frstrated . . . Not to mention that I'm waiting for our hair samples to come which is only adding to the worry . . . and I'm feeling terribly guilty like I caused all of this by eating like crap while pregnant. (I did not do this w/dd1).

Sorry for the pity party, it's just been an extra tough couple of days.
it's going to be hard before it gets better... the chicken thing must have been really scary though!

It could be certain foods or it could be die off, I've read some pretty bizarre tales of the die off period including weird colored poo!

Don't feel guilty, you are here now. Hey, we all feel guilty, we are MOTHERS that's what we do! Just put the energy into knowing as much as you can and doing what it takes to heal.

Personally I think things have to be bad in order to make (and keep) the real committment it takes to take control and heal.
#266 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 12:48 AM

Quote:
I used a tbl. of Dannon for starter. I got some yummy looking & smelling milk. I think I've got a good batch going right now.
Crossing my fingers for you!

Isn't it a 1/4 cup per quart of milk? I forget b/c it's been so long since I've used yogurt to start...
#267 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Jane ~ Thanks for the info. I wish I could do the raw milk but where I live i just don't know how to find that. This is the type of goats milk I buy http://www.goatmilkcanada.com/ ... is there anything I should ask them to make sure its a good product?

Would you be able to anwser my question a few posts up too , TIA!!
It looks pretty good to me! Raw milk is not required, 24 hr. yogurt is still very healing if made from pasteurized milk.

I think I've caught up :

So if you (or anyone else) asked something I missed, let me know the post #!

:
#268 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 12:57 AM

Quote:
My raw milk looked & smelled sooo good. I don't want to lose all the good stuff by heating it either! How do you do it?
I just warm the milk up to 110 by immersing the jar (I have 2 qt sized glass canning jars) in hot water and letting it sit. I just use hot tap water. Then add starter, and do the oven method.
#269 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Quick question...
Ok i mentioned earlier that I have a sensativity to casein... does this mean I should NOT do the yoghurt? I honestly don't really know my sensitivity symptoms. I don't get headaches or diahrrea so how will know if it affects me. I found out about my sensativities through my natural nutritionalist. She tested me with the "Omega AcuBase" which uses a system of measurment known as the Galvanic Skin Response, or skin conductance, as an idicator of stress. Other things listed are whey, cow's milk & goats milk. So I am just wondering if with the process of making the yoghurt, will it make it ok to ingest & digest??
I know there is the dairy free portion of the SCD but I am just wondering if the yoghurt could be ok since I honestly don't see the results of eating dairy. I guess you could say I just feel unwell mentally from it, but I only noticed that since I have become more intune with my body!
The search function is so not working right now or I'd pull up the links I had posted a couple months ago in a tribe thread about goat casein being different...

Yogurt does predigest the proteins as well.

And just so you know, pasteurizing milk packs the casein micelles more closely together and makes them harder to digest, it changes their structure, another for raw.

I think you just need to try the yogurt slowly. An imbalanced gut will make you mentally unwell too, I know!
#270 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2cias
http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

Actually, kefir is pretty good. Too bad it's SCD illegal(but what isn't? geez)
Hey there, how are things?

Well actually I used kefir regardless before and after starting SCD and saw significant help. At some point, I lost my taste for it completely, and switched to yogurt, which I craved. Perhaps my body knew when it was time to change.

I do want people to know that the SCD is probably not the only diet on the block or the way to heal a gut... but it has worked for many and has a great deal of scientific evidence behind it. (Unlike The Maker's Diet, which borrows the best from SCD and NT, both very well researched in and of themselves, which I like to rant about from time to time.)

Plus you can have muffins, pancakes, cookies and cake on the SCD!

I know it's hard making the transition, but compared to what I was doing before this is heaven to me. It's more work but you feel so much better! And I find things like strawberry sauce (made out of frozen strawberries) that are so yummy and are easy to make.

Speaking of cake, my next mission is to try to make a chocolate cake

Now this, out of any of my 500 posts tonight, will really get everyone's attention.

I made actual "Pecan Bread" out of homemade pecan nut butter with no sweetner and it actually smells like chocolate to me. So I'm going to experiment, perhaps with pureed dates or prunes to add more richness. Not sure when this is going to be as I am fresh out of pecans right now...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page