How can I get rid of ear infection w/o antibiotics? - UPDATED - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 97 Old 12-24-2008, 04:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know, but my inclination is always that if the fever is gone they are on their way to getting better. Have you heard about the warming wet sock treatment? That is supposed to help pull congestion and such away from the upper body. It is very effective. I did it last week with both of my kids when they were sick. You can read about it here
This was counterintuitive to me at first, putting cold wet socks on my kids' feet with fever and cough. When they are sick, I am usually trying to keep their feet warm, but I did it, and I do think it helped. I think it is best if you do it three nights in a row. You can also do it after they have gone to bed, if you don't think they'll go for it, just be sure the feet are sufficiently warmed first.

I have also read that holding a warmed (but obviously not too hot) onion on the ear helps draw infection out, but I'm not sure if you could get a 2 yo to cooperate on that. I think you slice the onion in half, grill it or cook it or warm it somehow, with the cut side down. Be sure it's cooled down enough (maybe try it on your own ear first?).

I would probably go back to the chiro again tomorrow, if you can get in once more before Christmas. Hope she wakes up feeling better!
#92 of 97 Old 01-19-2009, 12:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
nak

my 3 y/o ds is currently battling his third ear infection. all three infections have been acute, with no other congestion or infections leading up to it (i thought i understood that ear infections are normally secondary infections) he had a mild one about a year ago, which i treated right away with garlic oil, and it cleared up quickly.

his second one was only three weeks ago, and it was terrible. he was inconsolable for a few hours, and was only eventually calmed down by being worn in the mei tai. it was the day after christmas, so i couldn't take him to the ped, and we were w/o a chiro at the time. i did call the chiro we were hoping to go to (i had just been slacking off on making an appt), but he was out of the office that day. i ended up calling the ped (he tends to not be rx-happy), who said that he thought it warranted abx; in his opinion, all of the pain indicated a possible bacterial infection (i don't know why, but that's what he said). at that point, i just wanted my boy to feel better, so we went with the abx (this was his first round ever, so i tried not to beat myself up, since most kids have probably had waaaay more by his age), and the ear drops rx'd by the ped. i also gave him garlic oil, and eventually gave in to tylenol (i HAD to be able to put him down; after like six hours of wearing him, i just couldn't take it anymore, and he was so miserable that he wouldn't let me). maybe two hours after abx and thirty minutes after tylenol, he suddenly told me that he felt better, and then he knocked out for the night, and he was pretty much fine after that.

early this morning, he woke up crying, and it was the same thing all over again. i did garlic oil (which he HATES), and wore him in the mt for hours and hours. again, i called the ped, hoping that he would not say abx, but he wanted to put him on another round, and have me bring him in tomorrow. i decided to bring him in tomorrow, but i'm not doing the abx. i'll be taking him to the chiro after the ped.

i'm soooo glad that i didn't give into the abx this time, because he's already feeling so much better. i did the garlic oil, and i gave him herb's for kids temp assure, and after a lot of sleep, he's pretty much back to himself. he's still a bit warm, but i'm waiting it out to see what happens.

i had chronic ear infections as a child, and was on abx after abx. my immune system isn't so hot now. i have no desire in going down that road for my kids, but i had to make a judgement call last time, and abx seemed to be the most appropriate at the time.

now that i've written a novel , here are my questions-

1) from how my mom has described what perforation sounds like in a child (from her experience with me- screaming, screaming, screaming, and then sudden relief, smiles, etc.), i think he ma`y have had some perforation this afternoon. he was having what was almost like a panic attack (and he is a pretty easy-going kid), and then all of a sudden he said, "mommy, i feel better!" he kept saying it for a few minutes, until he started to freak out a bit again, but then he went to sleep. there was never anything draining out of his ear; would there definitely be something coming out, if it really did perforate?

2) any guesses as to why the sudden onset of acute infections, with no previous symptoms? we don't think he's allergic to dairy (we were off of it for a long time [yes, longer than six weeks], because we suspected an allergy due to behavior issues, and there was never any change in behavior, bodily functions, etc; it also didn't come up on his IGg allergy blood test). i was going to say something else about this, but i've suddenly had a brain freeze...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjabslenz View Post
I have never heard of this until today but a friend just shared with me that she was advised by her nutritionist to use a dab of tea tree oil behind each ear, along the jaw line, on the neck/throat and the bottoms of the feet for her little one.
except for the feet, i do all of this with the garlic oil. it just "came to me" to do it, so i'm glad that i went with my instincts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
I don't know, but my inclination is always that if the fever is gone they are on their way to getting better. Have you heard about the warming wet sock treatment? That is supposed to help pull congestion and such away from the upper body. It is very effective. I did it last week with both of my kids when they were sick. You can read about it here
This was counterintuitive to me at first, putting cold wet socks on my kids' feet with fever and cough. When they are sick, I am usually trying to keep their feet warm, but I did it, and I do think it helped. I think it is best if you do it three nights in a row. You can also do it after they have gone to bed, if you don't think they'll go for it, just be sure the feet are sufficiently warmed first.

I have also read that holding a warmed (but obviously not too hot) onion on the ear helps draw infection out, but I'm not sure if you could get a 2 yo to cooperate on that. I think you slice the onion in half, grill it or cook it or warm it somehow, with the cut side down. Be sure it's cooled down enough (maybe try it on your own ear first?).

I would probably go back to the chiro again tomorrow, if you can get in once more before Christmas. Hope she wakes up feeling better!
thanks for the wet sock link. the onion thing is mentioned a few times in this thread.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#93 of 97 Old 01-19-2009, 01:17 AM

This is a copy of a recent post of mine regarding ear infections. Hope he feels better quickly.

Pat

Quote:

Diary intolerance is the number one cause of fluid build up in ears.

"In one study an astonishing 86% of the children tested became free of ear problems once they came off dairy food."
http://www.safekids.co.uk/EarProblemsAndAllergies.html
http://www.healthychild.com/ear-infe...ternatives.htm
http://www.vitacost.com/science/conc...infection.html
http://www.femail.com.au/ear-infections-truestar.htm

Additionally, I was just reading that chiropractic adjustments could help with ear infections. I didn't know.

Breast milk in the ear or garlic oil is supposed to help too.

Also, add vitamin C and whole food probiotics, such as yogurt for the immune system.

"In an October study in the medical journal The Lancet, researchers found that antibiotics for ear infections are only beneficial to children under the age of 2 with both ears infected. Study leader Dr. Maroeska Rovers, of the University Medical Center Utrecht in the Netherlands, said that researchers found that in most other cases, watchful waiting is OK."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16140545/#storyContinued
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ear-infections/EI99999

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/...ics-vs-waiting

"Evidence has been building over the years showing most ear infections resolve on their own and antibiotics do little or nothing to speed the process. And, overuse of antibiotics leads to antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria. The most important factor in treatment for ear infections is pain relief."

A landmark study published in Pediatrics has shown that treating ear infections with antibiotics has no benefit when compared to doing nothing. (McCormick 2005).
http://www.hpakids.org/holistic-heal...-Not-Necessary

My recommendation is classical homeopathy.
A friend's daughter had six rounds of antibiotics for ear infections and was scheduled for tube insertion. She saw the homeopath and gave her daughter the proscribed remedy. On return to the physician prior to the surgery, her ears were no longer infected. And she has had no ear infections since.

Our classical homeopathist first learned about homeopathy for her son with ear infections. Then she became schooled about homeopathy. I am a complete believer. Although, I still do not understand how it works. We are all on constitutional remedies and are rarely ever sick.

Another suggestion is Grapefruit Seed Extract. (Not grape seed.) GSE is also a natural anti-inflammatory. It is give orally, diluted in water. It tastes horrible though.

Here are some more ideas:
Garlic is a natural antibiotic.
Collodial silver is a natural antibiotic.
Vit C-large doses (natural fever reducer, iirc)
Cod liver oil- essential fatty acids help the immune system (We use Nordic Naturals -strawberry and our son loves it!)
Chamommilla is good for restlessness, discomfort, insomnia, unbearable pain; fever; child is impatient and angry.
Zinc lozenges help the immune system
Echinecea- We use Sambucol for Kids
Probiotics- for immune support, digestive system is 70% of immune system. Many of the serious side effects of cp are associated with a damaged gut, secondary to antibiotic use. Avoid antibiotics with cp and other viral illnesses.

And Dairy is the #1 culprit of fluid and mucus production leading to an environment conducive to ear infections.

Here is some info about homeopathic remedies (and treating ear infections).

* Aconite: Pain that comes on suddenly after a shock or chill.

* Belladonna: Severe throbbing pain; child is oversensitive and cranky.

* Chamomilla: Unbearable pain; fever; child is impatient and angry.

* Lycopodium: Pain on right side only; stopped-up nose; cold extremities.

* Magnesia phosphorica (or "homeopathic aspirin"): Pain reduced by the application of heat or pressure.

* Mercurius solubilis: Pain accompanied by swollen glands and sweating.

Do probiotics, cod liver oil, magnesium, vit. C, zinc, coconut oil, bone broths, green juices. Support the immune system. The gut is 70% of our immune system. Antibiotics damage the microbial balance in the gut.

Basically, you have to heal the gut to strengthen the immune system. Check out the "Healing the Gut-cheat sheet" at the top of the forum. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=434071

Pat

I have a blog.
#94 of 97 Old 01-25-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethSLP View Post
Because when tubes are placed, they are surgically placed and done in a way to try to minimize scarring. If they work (and thats a big if, because we all know people where they fell out immediately), the infection never happens because the fluid drains off continuously.

IMO its dangerous to have an eardrum repeatedly rupturing, because: 1. it hurts like hell from what I hear and is not pleasant. 2. you've had an infection that likely hurt like hell leading up the the rupture. 3. repeatedly rupturing in different places across the tympanic membrane would likely lead to more scar tissue in the long run than one surgery and a small precise incision.

I personally think any parent who has a baby with recurrent ear infections should explore food allergies (dairy in particular). There is something like 50 different proteins in dairy, any one can be an allergy. Try eliminating all dairy and see what happens. It can't hurt.

XOXO
B
Yep, that is me. Worst pain ever. And I have tons and tons of scar tissue now. I love going to a new doctor because the look on their face when they see inside my right ear is priceless

I am saving this thread, there are a lot of good ideas in here!

I do have a breastmilk question. I don't have any kids, so would anyone's breastmilk help ear infections? I can just see myself asking some of the Mothers at my day care center for some breastmilk for an ear infection But I might just to see if it works!

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#95 of 97 Old 08-22-2013, 03:07 PM

im not a mother im a teenager but i have tonsilitis and ive had this sore throat for almost a month now and its been getting worse. now i have an ear ache that hurts soo bad , i just want to know if this really really works because theres a whole bunch of other remidies and im not sure if those would work too .

#96 of 97 Old 05-13-2014, 02:56 PM

do you still have that doctor? I would like to know what his/her name is and use them if they live in my area.

#97 of 97 Old 06-23-2014, 06:27 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjabslenz View Post
I second everything that Tummy suggested. I've also done accupressure behind my ds and dd's ears to help stimulate the cells to heal themselves.<br><br>
Hope you're feeling better soon.
what are Ds and DDs; I am suffering with inner ear infection and antibiotics have failed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page