How can I get rid of ear infection w/o antibiotics? - UPDATED - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 97 Old 02-05-2006, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure both my ears are infected. The right one is slightly pink, swollen, and sore on the inner part of the ear. It's also tender if I press around the ear. The other ear looks normal, but is very slightly tender around the ear. I've had a few days of off and on fever and body aches. Does this sound like an ear infection?

I am in a class for three more weeks for work. I am not allowed to schedule any appointments during class time unless it's an emergency. Class is 7:00 to 4:30 and often goes long, so I wouldn't be able to get an appointment before or after and I really don't want to go to the emergency room.

Is there any way to get rid of this without antibiotics? I hate taking them anyway, but I've always heard it's the only way to get rid of infections. There's got to be something I can do besides either going to the E-room or just dealing with it for three weeks.

TIA!

****UPDATE - I used the garlic oil. I put one capsule-full in each ear and left it for 20 minutes. The next day it wasn't tickling anymore and today, it's almost 100% gone. Thanks to everyone for the advice that saved me a trip to the hospital!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#2 of 97 Old 02-05-2006, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a horrific ear infection a few months back. Used no RXs and got rid of it.

#1 suggestion is.. CHIROPRACTOR!!!

#2 suggestion is GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract) taken as directed.
stuff will kill anything in ya body, I've seen it get rid of a staph infection

#3 suggestion... BOOBIEJUICE The cure all!
#3 of 97 Old 02-05-2006, 02:09 AM

I'm a big fan of colloidal silver.
#4 of 97 Old 02-05-2006, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyD
I'm a big fan of colloidal silver.
OMG, YESSSSSSSSSSSS... I so forgot all about that stuff!
#5 of 97 Old 02-05-2006, 10:26 AM

I second everything that Tummy suggested. I've also done accupressure behind my ds and dd's ears to help stimulate the cells to heal themselves.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
#6 of 97 Old 02-05-2006, 02:53 PM

YOu could also try garlic oil in our ears. It stinks, but it helps.

Louise
#7 of 97 Old 02-05-2006, 05:41 PM

I would also suggest collidial silver!
#8 of 97 Old 02-05-2006, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

I sent DH to the GNC for garlic oil. It seems the easiest, and I read some not-so-good things about colloidal silver. I'll let you all know if it helps. Thanks to everyone who responded!!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#9 of 97 Old 02-05-2006, 06:33 PM

hhmmm............I'd be interested in hearing about those "not-so-good" things about collidal silver.
#10 of 97 Old 02-05-2006, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

I'd have to find the websites again, but a couple of the ones I looked at said that colloidal silver is very easily contaminated and can lead to excessive silver in the bloodstream when taken regularly.

#11 of 97 Old 02-05-2006, 07:39 PM

Another suggestion is H2O2 a few drops in the ear every couple of hours.

And Sodium Ascorbate diluted in a wee bit of water, dripping up the nose...for stuffed up sinuses.

Everything else was already suggested!

But if all else fails, one decongestant works miracles (sometimes) and it's way better than antibiotics.
#12 of 97 Old 02-05-2006, 07:58 PM

I am surprised nobody mentioned homeopathy!
So here we go: Homeopathy is one of the BESt remedies and fastest working remedies for ear infection:

BELLADONNA is indicated in acute phases, with sudden and intense onset, red throbbing ears and high fever.
PULSATILLA is the most common remedy for ear infections. This remedy relates to symptoms of pain and pressure, to the stage when pus can be seen behind the eardrum, and even to rupture of the drum, with thick yellow discharge.

KALI MURIATICUM is another remedy that can be used to clear fluid out of the middle ear, used as a tissue salt (6x) several times a day.

ARSENICUM ALBUM is for pain mostly at night, better with warm compresses.

ACONITUM if pain started by exposure to a wind.(like driving with the window open)

Definetly get BELLADONNA 6C or 30C and take it even ever 15 minutes the first few hours and then only 3-5 times a day until you are good.
You can chooce more then one remedy if your symptoms fit more remedies. Usually Belladonna plus some other remedy is a good choice.

It's ALWAYS got to have BELLADONNA at home - for ear infections, VERY high fevers (works like a charm!!), for sore throat and more and more.....
#13 of 97 Old 02-05-2006, 08:01 PM

Also what I did once, but don't really recommend it - I put Tea tree oil into my ear!! I thought I was going to die how that hurt! I thought I was gonna wake up and be death but instead I woke up in the morning with NO PAIN whatsoever! I'd do it again if I had no another choice, but I would dilute it at least!
#14 of 97 Old 02-05-2006, 08:02 PM

one part vinegar
one part rubbing alcohol

put several drops in each ear 3 times a day.

I learned this from a doctor who tried to avoid putting children on medicine. (rare kind of doctor) I also found the instructions by googling "ear infection home remedy." I used it on my ear infection and it worked.
#15 of 97 Old 02-06-2006, 12:03 AM

my eldest dd (3yo) has been having reoccuring ear infections since end of Nov. My children have never suffered from them before so this was a very new experience. The first infection she ended up using antibiotics. Had a horrible reaction from them with a full body rash. And it did not get rid of the infection. The following infections i gave her vitamin c (ester c) mixed with GSE - this is to dry up her nose and get rid of the mucus. Also i found that massaging behind the ears tremendously benefited her hearing (she had so much fluid in her ears that she could not hear very well) This massage helped move the fluid down and cleared up her hearing overnight. HTH
#16 of 97 Old 02-06-2006, 12:08 AM

I also wanted to mention that we tried homeopathics and it did not seem to work very well with my dd. We got belladona and some Traumeel ear drops.

Another thing that we use to relieve ear pain (it works almost instantanoesly) is to put a warm onion on the ear. The onion is antinflamatory and it helps my dd from crying in pain within minutes. Just cut an onion in half, toast in in a toaster oven for a minute or two, then place the onion in a hat or scarf over the ear and wear overnight. Works wonders!!
#17 of 97 Old 02-10-2006, 08:10 PM

I have one big question! Are any of these remedies safe when there is a possibility of drum rupture?

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#18 of 97 Old 02-10-2006, 09:05 PM

You can just squeeze the onion and use the juice in the ear... it's antibacterial, antiinflammatory and antifungal just like garlic, but quicker to work.
#19 of 97 Old 02-10-2006, 10:11 PM

Book marked! Great thread.
#20 of 97 Old 02-12-2006, 09:25 AM

Mackenzie - NO, It is my understanding that NOTHING should be put in the ear (unless it drops prescribed by a doctor) if there is a possibility that the eardrum has ruptured. Taking something orally, however, like the homeopathic remedies or the Vitamin C, etc., would still be okay.
#21 of 97 Old 02-16-2006, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#22 of 97 Old 03-18-2006, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tummy
#2 suggestion is GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract) taken as directed.
How would I give this to a baby? How much and how often?
#23 of 97 Old 03-18-2006, 12:01 PM

I'm not sure how to go about the GSE but I noticed you are pumping. Are you still? If yes, I would try some bm in his ear first.
#24 of 97 Old 03-18-2006, 12:50 PM

GSE is perfectly fine while nursing.
#25 of 97 Old 03-22-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
You can just squeeze the onion and use the juice in the ear... it's antibacterial, antiinflammatory and antifungal just like garlic, but quicker to work.
Question about this... DO you think onion or garlic oil would get rid of ringworm (a fungus)? Are both safe to put on a baby's skin?

I remember reading a few months back on a thread about how to make garlic oil. Anyone remember what to do? Do you think its possible to do the same with onion?

TIA, I'm fearing an ear infection in ds and would like to be prepared!! Oh, do you think it would be ok to put in a few drop as a precautionary plan? Since I dont know if he actually has an ear infection? DS is almost 10 mo if it matters.

Again, Thanks!

ETA: I found the "recipe" thread! I will give it a try!
#26 of 97 Old 05-10-2006, 10:17 AM

im so glad to see this thread. subing!!!

what about for pneumonia? dd was given anti biotics for that...

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#27 of 97 Old 05-30-2006, 10:24 PM

Thanks Gitti for linking me here! Any opinions on the Similisan earache drops? DS has been getting ear infections recently and I'd like to forgo the antibx next time, and homeopathic/natural remedies are few and far between where I live (though I think I remember seeing garlic oil capsules in the vitamin aisle).

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#28 of 97 Old 05-30-2006, 10:59 PM

Hey mama
Has it cleared up yet? Well if so GREAT! and I guess disregard my 2 cents
Here are few things that may work:

Get an organic Onion, lightly steam it.. removes and hold one end w/a towel or foil "cuz it's hot! Then place this up to the ear...The oils drag out the nasty's in the ear! It's also very soothing...You'll want to hold this to the ear for 20 mins.
Also their are Herbal antibiotics that work VERY well..PM if ya want the list
For pain: infuse Organic oilve oil w/ cloves of Organic garlic..You can do this on the stove top too..Gently simmer for 15-20 mins...Strain, cool and you'll have garlic olive oil..Really helps w/pain! Then you can gently warm, test on your wrist before putting a few drops in the ear..

I could list more RX's but not sure if you need them? LMK

Good luck!
#29 of 97 Old 05-30-2006, 11:02 PM

dizzy: Duh, I forgot to mention this BK : Healing Childhood Ear Infections..Prevention, home care and ALt. RX..By DR. Michael Schmidt:
#30 of 97 Old 06-02-2006, 03:48 AM

All the suggestions here are great, but I would recommend letting a professional at least look at it first, just to make sure nothing's ruptured. You don't have to take her/his prescription, but at least let them advise you on how severe the problem is and then treat in whichever way you feel is best.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page