Eczema - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 01-09-2002, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ped suggested the criso too...mixed with pure aloe vera jel. That is what she uses on her hands. The calendula cream works well for moisture too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 47 Old 01-11-2002, 05:24 PM

I did a search here and read some past topics on eczema but I still have a few questions.
Ds is 16 months old and recently dveloped eczema in his diaper area. It is not where a diaper rash would be in the genital area but above it. On his stomach, hips, lower back, and around the tops of his legs. Does that make sense? Basically everywhere the diaper touches except his genitals. The dr. said it was eczema and from what I have read definitely sounds like it. He also has some bumps on his back.
So I am wondering if this could still be caused from food, or if it is more likely to be from a detergent. I have read a lot that suggests the root problem is usually diet. But about a month or so before this happened I started washing his diapers in Dr. Bronner's instead of the Tide free I had been using. The rest of his clothes are washed in Tide free but we do use a fabric softener.
He doesn't drink milk, but I have it on cereal and he is breastfed. We both love cheese though and yogurt. I don't really want to cut these things out as he doesn't eat much. But if it will help him then I will. I am just wondering if it is more likely to be the detergent.
Also I am wondering if you all have found that a natural soap such as one you would buy from a health food sore is better than just a gentle soap from the grocery store. I am trying to convince dh that natural is better!
Sorry for rambling on so long. Thanks for any help.
#33 of 47 Old 01-11-2002, 06:35 PM

I would have to say that your detergent sounds like a likely culprit if the reaction relates so closely to his diaper area. Try switching to the mildest detergent you can get at your healthfood store. I use eco laundry balls/discs as they leave no soap deposit at all. Run all the diapers through an extra rinse too and do not use any softener, it can also be an irritant. Don't use soap in the bath and don't use commercial wipes, just water with lavender oil. Keep the skin moisturised with a good cream he doesn't react to. I'd try changing the detergent before doing the diet, once you are sure you have taken away external irritants you can start eliminating possible internal ones! Good luck and don't panic.
#34 of 47 Old 01-11-2002, 07:21 PM

My ds had all over, horrible eczema
What we learned:
Bath every single stinkin' day--twice when hot or dry!!!! Eczema causes the skin to loose moisture. The bath--no soap, just toys, music and warm--not too warm, for exactly 10 minutes is a near cure. Then you have 3 minutes to slather the WHOLE body with a sealant. We used vaseline (I know I hate petroleum--but it works) with tea tree oil (just a drop or two in a small container). Be careful with steroids, they can cause other infections. We used them when we had to because you have to break the cycle. But we also used Bactroban when using steroids.
Be very, very careful with all lotions. Eczema is part of the atopic triad. Eczema, allergies and asthma are the 3. DS is anaphylactic (it kills him) to almonds. Cetaphil lotion has almond oil. We tried that with disasterous results as you can imagine!! Eucerin has lanolin. One of the irritants (almost universal) for people with eczema is wool. Some also react to the lanolin.
Don't play with a child's diet--especially if you fear food allergies. Go to the bullitin board at FAST and ask for help. Get recommendations and go to a board certified food allergist. Keep trying allegists until you find one you feel comfortable with. I have horror stories! But you have to have the testing before you play with the diet. You may have to go to a major hospital ( I am talking John Hopkins!) if the eczema is severe and food allergies may be life threatening.
We did this and I am so glad. We discovered DS's allergies are life-threatening to nuts, peanuts, eggs and milk. We have a list of about 10 others that cause eczema or behavioral, or intestinal problems. If you suspect allergy, you have to eliminate it entirely. I could not touch an egg while bfing or ds would break out.
Please e-mail or PM me if you have other questions. We cured my ds's eczema and I did not give him funky, expensive cure-alls. I would love to share my regimin if it will help another poor, dear babe!
#35 of 47 Old 01-11-2002, 08:09 PM

I had horrible awful skin problems as a child. #1 make sure what you're dealing with is truly eczema. My mother thought I had eczema and so did the GP but when I finally got to a really good doctor when I was older they did some skin cultures and it was some sort of yeast/fungal infection. A few antibiotics, it was gone and I have never seen it again. OH all those nights of itching and scratching - I was almost insane by it. Geesh. Now I control hand dermatitis and occasional contact dermatitis with DML products from Pearson-Covey. You can get them mail-order. They work very well. Recommended by dermatologist who knew what he was doing. For rough areas, that I get on my face from say paint fumes or whatever..I just coat the area liberally with Lansinoh. That works great for me - it protects and allows to heal and soothes at the same time.

Avoidance of stress, changes of temperatures hot-to-cold, lots of greens in the diet, good sleep, etc. is also important in the treatment of eczema. These factors don't cause it, but they can make it worse. I notice that my nose bleeds if I eat lentils. Go figure. I think there's something in them that works as a blood thinner? Hydrate hydrate hydrate. You know the skin is mostly water. Treat patches of inflamed and oozing eczema as if they were a burn, and push fluids accordingly...there are medical charts that show how much extra fluid you need for so mahy % of body area involved. I have heard dandelion root tea is good for eczema and other skin problems.

I can eat dairy and chocolate and caffeine. They have no effect at all. Course, with a kid you don't need to worry so much about chocolate and caffeine.

I would say, first and foremost, get a confirmed diagnosis of eczema if you haven't already. Insist on skin cultures from the various affected areas. There could be secondary infections even if the primary condition is eczema.

Cotton gloves at night are critical for a child. Sew them onto the sleeves because of course they will pull them off at night to scratch.

Oh, I feel so sorry for little ones who have this problem. I remember it so well.

Sarah
#36 of 47 Old 01-15-2002, 01:27 AM
Banned

n her elbow creases! and the backs of her knees. It takes up about 5 inches on the insides of her arms, and is painful if I lotion it. She also scratches it which makes it worse! What do i do...the doctors just want to prescribe steroids. Hydrocortizone just burns her arms visibly! HELPPPP!!!!!: :
#37 of 47 Old 01-15-2002, 04:16 PM

Hey Milkgoddess,

I am new to the boards and I have just been browsing. I happened to see your post. I purchase products from a company that uses tee tree oil as a base in the products. I do not know from experience but I have heard testimonies from others that say the lotions they have do wonders on excema.

Just thought I would share

Pam
#38 of 47 Old 01-16-2002, 10:37 AM

Hi milkgoddess
You poor thing it sounds awful, I've been there too with my dd! Can you check back some of the earlier threads on eczema on this board, there is a lot of good advice on them. You have to break the scratching cycle and there are great pyjamas you can get which stop them scratching so badly at night. I don't have time to write my usual essay on eczema but I've written loads in the other threads......go check them out, lots of folk have experience with it. Good luck!
#39 of 47 Old 01-16-2002, 01:27 PM

another thing to check out is omega 3 fatty acid intake...especially the 22 carbon form "DHA"...ever since I started on this stuff all DS's skin conditions cleared up.
#40 of 47 Old 01-16-2002, 11:59 PM

Check out the thread called "my daughter's excema is getting worse", or something similar to that.
Our dermatologist told us that he is now recommending an over the counter cream called TriCeram. It's a moisturizer that is supposed to replace the ceramides in the barrier layer of the skin. He now recommends it for babies, toddlers, pregnant and nursing moms. I can get it at Walgreen's but you might have to special order it. I put up a link to info on the product in the other thread.
#41 of 47 Old 01-18-2002, 10:26 PM

bumping for milkgoddess
#42 of 47 Old 01-18-2002, 10:28 PM

Milkgoddess,
I just bumped an excema thread with lots and lots of ideas on it. I hope you get some good info that will work for your child.
#43 of 47 Old 01-19-2002, 12:05 AM

Just wanted to report that I have been taking the cod liver oil, 1 TBS in the morning and flax seed oil, 1 TBS at night and after about twoo weeks now the eczema is definitely improving in my 7 mos old (I'm bbreastfeeding)
#44 of 47 Old 01-19-2002, 12:21 AM

What is bumping?
#45 of 47 Old 01-19-2002, 11:50 PM

Hi. Flax oil and fish oil do help excema. But you might consider allergy testing. I read somewhere, I beleive that it was on the gf/cf diet site that escema = wheat allergy. Here is the site incase you are curious.

http://www.gfcfdiet.com
#46 of 47 Old 01-23-2002, 12:52 AM

Since eczema is always a popular issue, I thought I would share something that I just came across. Fatty acids are discussed.

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/eczema.htm

She talks about her own battle with eczema and believes three things contributed to it - one of which was vaccination.

Here is her vaccine page. Good Lord, I've never seen so much information on one page!

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/vaccines.htm
#47 of 47 Old 01-24-2002, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the info! My 6-month-old has excema and I've just been reading about EFS (especially Omega-3 Fatty Acids). I'll definitely check out this site!

Tags
Health Healing , Eczema Oil , Understanding Childhood Eczema

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page