Mothering Forum banner
28K views 46 replies 21 participants last post by  redheadmama 
#1 ·
my poor baby looks awful this morning. It's oozing and peeling. She is bf exlusively, as I read below, I am going to stop dairy and see if that helps. What kind of soap, laundry detergent, cream, etc should I try?

jtsmom

#2 ·
Aveeno products work wonders, they use oatmeal and are soap free. We use the Aveeno baby wash, lotion, and diaper rash cream and I have seen a HUGE difference in her skin.

As for the detergent, I'm using Free and Clear All, but I'm curious to find out if there are better ones out there.

Good luck, it's so sad to see their skin hurting so bad, I'm still looking for things that will help too!

#3 ·
My son's pediatric dermatologist has recommended a new over the counter product called "triceram". It is non-steroidal, non medicated. It adds "ceramides" to the skin, and is supposed to be very effective. He said that they'd had a lot of luck with it for excema in babies and toddlers. They are recommending it now because it is non steroidal, so it doesn't have the possible side effects.
He actually recommended it to me because I'm pregnant and was worried about using hydrocortisone, a steroidal cream. He also knows that I am very skeptical of doctors and medicines, so he is sensitive to that and does not recommend any products or treatments just on a whim.

It's expensive, but if it works, it's worth it to me. I got it at Walgreen's and had to ask for it by name, even though it's over the counter. You may have to order it in your area. Our Walgreen's only carries it because the dermatology dep't is recommending it.

As for soap, I wouldn't use any soap on her skin. Detergents should be fragrance and dye free. No fabric softener ever.

#4 ·
thank you so much for responding. i am going to try aveeno, ive heard good things about it. We really don't bathe her often. maybe once a week. I want toavoid steroids, and I am afraid that this will scar. Anyone know if it does when it gets to the peely weepy stage. Hate to sound superficial, but it's my little girls face.

jtsmom

#5 ·
The Triceram does not have any steroids at all in it. That is why they recommend it for babies and young children.
It's a moisturizer that adds lipids to the skin. Here is a link that tells about it, has links to research on the product, and shows before & after photos.
http://ska.safeserver.com/triceramrx.html

One paragraph from the link reads
"TriCeram is completely safe for all skin types, including sensitive skin and the delicate skin of children. The key lipids used in TriCeram are the very same lipids that occur naturally in the skin, which dramatically reduces skin sensitivity and irritation."

#6 ·
I'm not too sure about scarring but my husband has/had pretty bad excema and does not have any scars and Isaiah had it pretty bad also before we were able to get it under control. We use Coco Butter on him all the time and butter him especially well after bathing. When we wash him we use Kiss My Face olive oil soap. He hasn't had any problems with it since. Many prayers to your daughter, hope that her excema clears soon.

#7 ·
You poor thing, I remember when my dd was just covered, I felt so helpless. How old is she? You have to try and break the scratching cycle to allow healing. If she is young enough try socks on the hands if she is at her face a lot, and for nights get some special eczema pyjamas, they are all in one button down the back have the hands and feet sewn in and you can put tapes around wrists and ankles to prevent them pulling a hand or foot inside and scratching. They were our life savers, we had no sleep until we had them. They are unbleached organic cotton.

Other ideas:
DO NOT USE ANY SOAP OR SHAMPOO on her, my dd has only been washed in water for 3 1/2 years (her hair has been washed with v. mild shampoo 3 times) otherwise it is just rinsed. It is waist length and very shiney!!

Use only eco laundry wash or laundry balls which leave no soap deposit at all. Set machine to do an extra rinse and do not use softener.

do not wear perfume or perfumed cream yourself which might irritate her skin. Make sure your clothes are not synthetic or wool which might irritate her when she is carried, and also not washed in strong detergent.

Try to cut out dairy yourself - i was having loads and I did try to cut it out but failed, dd had eczema from birth too despite fully bf, in second pregnancy I had none and still have none - ds is free from eczema.

I swear by a cream from California (you can imagine how hard it was to get in ireland!) called Self Heal Cream, with wonderful oil extracts and self heal plant. it really moisturises the skin and softens hard scaly areas.

In emergencies - when she had completely destroyed her skin and was going demented I would resort to 0.01% hydrocortisone cream for a day to allow quicker healing and then back to Self Heal. Luckily we didn't use it often.

At 10 months she went on a regime of combination homeopathic remedies, self heal cream, no dairy (diluted goats milk when weaned), whole foods (millet porridge for breakfast), no sugar, no tomatoes, no citrus, no onions, no mushrooms, limited dried fruit. We followed this strictly for 18 months and she was clear - we are slowly introducing everything but she is still mostly non-dairy and non citrus. Sugar definitely gives her a reaction as does stress and when she is ill.

Hope this helps ......good luck.

#8 ·
Have you tried introducing essential fatty acids into yours or her diet?
My son suffered from exzema until I began giving him 1 tsp. flax oil, daily (he was 6 mo) and I also began taking 500 mg. DHA, daily. I had tried various creams and ointments, but it never cleared until I introduced the EFA's. Remember, what appears on our skin, comes from within.

#9 ·
My 6 mos old ds has severe eczema. I don't know what to do either, but we have an appointment with the ped. derm later this month.

I've been putting 1% hydrocortisone 4 times a day on his face for months now. If I don't, his face BLEEDS, not from scratching, but from cracking and crusting.

I don't use soap on him or anything that touches him.

He is BF and I don't eat eggs, dairy, citrus. Cheese is a big no-no! for me to eat.

he gets bathed only 2 times a week

only wears 100% cotton

I feel realllllly guilty about the cortisone but don't know what else to do.

i will read what you gals have done and get ideas

baby has super duper dry skin,need good but lasting moisturizer.

i'm holding my little octopus, this is the reason for third grade typing level

heehee

#11 ·
My son too has eczema. I have used Calendula Cream on it and it works well. The ped wanted to prescribe hydro-coritzone but I refused.
Remember that the more stuff you put on it, you are just supressing it. Even the homoepthic stuff supresses it. She has toxins in her body that need to come out. I would get to a homeopath as soon as you can. She is probably reacting to something you are eating.
Whatever you do stay away from the steroid creams. They are the worst. They can lead to asthma. (I think others can too because you are supressing it and that forces it to attack another organ, but am not positive)

Currently what we are doing to treat my sons is to take him off of wheat, dairy and eggs and to treat him with a homeopathic remedy. I am just starting this tomorrow so don't know yet how it will work.

#12 ·
The Triceram has worked for me. I save it for flareups, because it is pricey. It does not have the immediate itch relief of hydrocortisone, but it has a much longer term relief of the excema problem. I guess overall, it's not as immediate as a steroid cream because it is working to rebuild a certain surface layer of defense in the skin.

When my skin is just dry, but hasn't yet flared into excema, I use a lotion by Shikai called Borage Therapy on my legs and forearms. The active ingredient is supposed to be borage oil. It does work well in preventing the excema, but the TriCeram is handy when the excema really does break out in full.

I have tried supplementing with freshly ground flax seed and with flax seed oil supplements, but, for me, neither worked to improve excema or my dry skin in general. Actual creams do work better for me.

#13 ·
The Shikai borage therapy products can be seen at
http://www.shikai.com/products/borage_frame.htm

If that link doesn't work, go to their homepage at www.shikai.com and navigate to the products page. It's a natural product, not tested on animals, etc....

I don't think that the borage therapy lotion would clear up a bad outbreak, but once the outbreak is cleared up, I think the borage therapy lotion helps to prevent future outbreaks. It's also much much cheaper than the TriCeram.

edited to add:
http://www.shikai.com/info/borage.htm
This is an article on Shikai's website about the benefits of borage oil. Of course it is written by the company's founder, but it seems to be well researched with plenty of citations from other researchers.

#15 ·
last night i went on a rampage and washed all her clothes w dye and color free cleaner, thenn bought aveeno baby soap and lotion. gave her a bath and lubed her up, looked better than ever. turned on the humidifier in our room. this morning it looked awful again.

leafy lady, sorry i didn't respond last time about the tricerum. thats the next thing I'm going to try. i know you said it is $$$$. how much? I followed your link, but couldn't find the price. i understood that it wasnt steroid, but my finger s dont always follow my brain
and i forget what im trying to say. i am afraid to go to the dr w this, he'll just give me an rx, and i wont figure out what is causing it.

Dd not nursing, can type like normal person.

I really want to know what is causing this, so I can treat it that way instead of just putting stuff on top of it. I have been sick and not eating much, but my comfort foods were cream of broccoli soup and mac and cheese.
: Dairy free now 2 days, no change.

I went to the co op today, the natural healing book I looked at recommended aloe gel and oatmeal paste, and camomile tea. topically. Anyone tried this? I was thinking the oatmeal paste would be too rough, but thought added to a bath might be good. We only bathe her once a week, if that. She's only 3 months old, so scratching isn't really an issue, although I notice that she is rubbing her whole face with the back of her hands and I am keeping her nails short. She is now sucking on her fists and I see red bumps starting there. Oh sheesh, what will I do on her hands?? If this keeps up, I am glad to know there are excema jammies, thanks for that info.

jtsmom

#16 ·
Are you taking DHA? Or even flax or other EFA's? There have been studies showing that essential fatty acids can clear exzema. I don't remember exactly what the role is that they play, but I know that when I introduced efa's into ds's diet and I began w/ the DHA (derived from fish oils), the exzema cleared and never returned. Our skin, and hair, and nails (as well as our eyes and tongue) reveal the state of health w/in us... or the imbalances we are suffering from... I think topical treatments are helpful in releiving the discomfort, but if you want to make it go away- you'll need to assess and treat the body as a whole- you'll need to bring balance to her internal system.
* oh, I also began giving ds acidophilus. "Rhino Vites" makes a powder form for children- it can be mixed w/ water or breast milk and given in a bottle, or it can be sprinkled on food. I think it's important for improving digestion- and I do think exzema is directly related to an imbalance in digestion/asorption of nutrients.

#17 ·
The TriCeram is $30 for a 3.4 oz tube from Walgreens. A little goes a long way, especially on a 3 month old baby. They say to use it daily, even when there is no outbreak. That's when it gets too expensive and I switch to the Shikai lotion. The Shikai borage therapy lotion is about $11 for an 8 oz. bottle. The website says they have a pediatric version, but I don't know the cost.

To see our pediatric/family dermatologist, it takes 6 months to get an appt. He is very thoughtful and sensitive to our needs, but I think you are right- if it's really excema, you'll be told to either use hydrocortisone or a lotion like TriCeram, both over the counter these days. You may as well try the DHA or EFA supplements (for yourself to go through the breastmilk) and the lotions first.

#18 ·
I am a grown-up but had very bad eczema on my face that completely cleared up through the use of mega-doses of flax seed oil and fish oil, and eating a lot of fish rich in oils (such as salmon). It took a few months, but it went away and did not return even though I am not still taking as much oil as before. I also use Aveeno products exclusively. The way I understood the action of the oils (from my naturopathic doc) was that if you cut out dairy at the same time, the omega-3 fats replace the irritating fats that exist in dairy, on a cellular level in your body. In other words, dairy gives our cells irritating and inflammatory fats, and flax seed oil, fish oil replaces these with soothing and anti-inflammatory fats. The fats in flax seed oil are soothing to cells, and they also inhibit prostoglandin. A nice side effect I wasn't looking for was that my menstrual cramps pretty much went away because of this. The reason is takes a while to work is because you have to wait until new cells are formed with the new fats in them. I could have this partially wrong, but this is how I remember the explanation. Anyway, it worked marvelously for me (I had had the eczema on my face for 10 years, and now it is GONE!)

#19 ·
I'm gonna try the shikai, thanks for the link. The triceram is kinda pricey, I'm gonna find out if maybe the insurance would cover it. ??? Doesn't hurt to ask.

About DHA

How much to take, where can I get it, how do I choose a brand? Can I just take fish oil, is that the same? I remember taking cod liver oil (by the spoon) as a kid and I can do it again. I have noooo problem with that if it will help my baby. What is megadoses of fish oils, or other EFA's. Maybe bebeluna or lauren would pm me something more specific. (sorry for sounding stupid)

Thanks soooooooo MUCH!

#21 ·
I really need to go to bed, but I keep getting notices of replies to my posts!

1 T. of flax seed oil per day is considered a regular dose, so 2 or more would be a "mega-dose." The fish oil I took was in capsule form. I tried taking it by oil, and nearly threw up. I could not do it that way!! Flax seed oil was more palatable as an oil, (worked well mixed with oatmeal) but it also comes in capsules. you just need to take about 12 of them per day to get a tablespoon (the label should specify how many capsules equal 1 T). The brand happened to be Spectrum Essentials, but there are lots of companies that make it. If you go online and just do a search for flax seed oil or omega-3 oils, you'll probably come up with a bunch of companies.

I was supposed to eat salmon or other "oily" fish 2-3 times per week. If you wanted to get additional consultation, you might want to hook up with a naturopathic physician.

Good luck.

#22 ·
I went to the co-op and bought the pediatric Shikai borage therapy lotion and that stuff is

AWESOME!

I also bought organic cold-pressed flax seed oil and Norweigan brand cod liver oil liquid (that has no taste btw) and I'm ready!! Gonna take 1 TSP of each in the morn and eve and I'm gonna give my baby some flax seed oil too.

Yay!

#23 ·
My son had ecxezma really bad, I ended up having to take him to a dermatologist for a steroid cream, but he was over 1 year. I'm just throwing in what I know. And I also had ecxezma as a child.

My son is allergic to milk and oats, once we took that out of his diet, it cleared. It takes it awhile. I heard somewhere that it takes about 3 weeks for an allergen to get out of the system. I am also allergic to milk and if I eat to much, or get stressed my exzema comes back.

We don't use soap, we use Cetaphil. It doesn't dry the skin out.

Rinse cloths at least twice when you wash them and don't use fabric softener sheets.

Use Eucerin lotion. It is thick and hard to spreald, but it works. WHat I would do with my son is to put it on his feet (that is where he had it) and put on his socks and shoes, that way the lotion could soak in.

This is what I had to do when I was a kid and we used steroid cream, but I am sure you could do it with lotion. I had it in the bends of my elbows and before I would go to bed my mother would put the cream on, cover it with Saran Wrap, tape it down and send me off to bed. The dermatologist laughed when I told her that, she told the assistant that they used to make us do stuff like that.

We also added flax seed oil into his diet. The lady at the health food store recommended doing that. My son was drinking it in his soy milk. You could take it, if you are breastfeeding, and it should go through the breast milk.

#24 ·
Ok can I just reiterate how much I love this stuff?? THank you so much.

I slathered my octopus in it 6 hours ago and his skin still feels moist. THe crackly flaky scalp looks so much better. Now the eczema is all still there but that SUPER DRY sandpaper skin is gone! Yay!!! I think that's really gonna help the itching which prevents him from remaining asleep at night...Now just gotta wait for the cod liver oil and the flax seed oil to kick in..

Oh, and 1 tsp of cod liver oil has 420-500 mg of DHA in it, so I think I'm covered there...

#25 ·
Wow a lot has been posted since I have visited this thread. I will have to try the essential fatty oils. Ds's eczema doesn't bother him at all...it just feels like dry patchy skin...the ped called it eczema but I am starting to wonder if it really is? I am sure it is because it is hereditory in my hubby's family. The ped prescribed hydro-cortizone and keflex, with the cetphyl(sp) lotion. I didn't want to use those. A homeopath that I am working with over the phone told me to cut the dairy, wheat, and eggs from his diet. Then give him this remedy. I am having the hardest time doing that. How do you do it? Ok so I am softy. The milk has really been the easiest, maybe. He takes a one drink of the soy milk or goats milk and then asks for water. I have noticed that his appetite is much better with out it. But he loves stuff like pizza and cheese....Wheat is really hard...plus my mil and mom don't really understand why they can't give him what he wants to eat. I will see what the hp remedy does and if I don't see anything...I am going to try the essential fatty acids. So is milk the biggest offender? I am sorry this is so long. We are just going through this too and I am at my wits end....I have only been cutting his diet for 2 days and i am already pansying out.
Oh yeah...the hp told me to put castor oil on it if it was really bothering him. And another hp told me to put aloevera jel and Vit E oil. Haven't tried either as his diaper rash went away and the other doesn't bother him.

#26 ·
Note: This is an archived topic. It is read-only. Mothering Boards
Alternative and Complementary Medicine Archive
Dealing with eczema naturally

This topic was originally posted in this forum: Alternative and Complementary Medicine
Author Topic: Dealing with eczema naturally
Momay
Member posted 08-26-2000 05:31 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My 19-month-old daughter has been diagnosed with eczema. I am struggling with trying to help her and trying to avoid so many drugs and creams. Frankly, I just cannot trust doctors who say that hydrocortisone is just fine to use on a long-term basis. It scares me to think of any side effects from using it too much. So we are trying to figure out how to deal with it naturally.
She had an allergy test that showed a slight allergy to bananas, soy and our cat I purchased some essential oils but am unsure how to use them correctly. Has anyone here dealt with eczema without using all the prescription products? I would love some advice! Thanks!

Jasmine
Member posted 08-26-2000 09:13 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Momay,
I dealt with it breifly. MY son had a nasty case of what they said was eczema at two months. It covered his face, neck and shoulders. It was very yellow and crusty in spots. This was my approach; first cut out possible food allergens from my diet, didn't work for me. Stopped using detergents on his clothes, lotions on him, and bathed him only every three days. There are some over the counter creams you can buy like Aquafor, and Eucerin, which are specifically for this skin problem. I just used Aloe. Straight from the plant. It seemed to work well to soothe his skin and keep it moist which is really important with this condition. The only thing is with aloe you have to apply it alot because it doesn't stay on the skin like commercial creams. I don't know where you live but natural hot mineral baths are also supposed to help. Fortunatally the main draw to the town I live in is the hot springs so we can go soak. Whatever the reason my sons eczema has cleared and not reurned as well as his very thick cradle cap. I hope this helps. You might want to invest in a large aloe if you don't already have one. Good luck.
Jasmine

Sherri
Member posted 08-26-2000 11:55 PM
My son had eczema caused by a dairy allergy, and I get severe eczema on hands, elbows & knees from soy. Aloe fresh from the plant feels... I can't describe how wonderful... it's RELIEF! I have 4 plants in my home from those days.
My doc also told me about Sweet Oil (olive oil) to remove the old flaky patches of skin. I applied a few minutes b4 my son's bath or my shower, and the then skin just washes off while bathing. I think the oil also helps protect the skin from drying-out & irritation from soaps & chlorinated water.
If I remember anything else (it's been a few years since we dealt w/ this) I'll post again. Good Luck!

lauren
Moderator posted 08-27-2000 07:25 PM
I have eczema, and my son has it too. What has worked for us is 1)eliminate dairy products 2)add flax seed oil (capsules or oil directly mixed with food) 3)more protein and 4)Aveeno (oatmeal based) moisturizer, available in most pharmacies. The first 3 suggestions came directly from a naturopathic physician. The last, remarkably, came from a nurse practitioner, but it has also worked wonders.

Cynthia in Arabia
Moderator posted 08-29-2000 02:39 AM
Sherri, why does your doctor refer to olive oil as sweet oil? I would have thought almond oil to be called sweet oil since it's also known as sweet almond oil.
~Cynthia

Cynthia in Arabia
Moderator posted 08-29-2000 02:51 AM
I've had five of my six children suffer from eczema as infant. For the first four I listened to the doctor and used boric acid. That worked up to about 4-6 months of age.Then he prescribed cortisone creams which made it magically disappear. At varying ages I was able to discontinue the cream.
My fifth baby didn't have a spot of eczema. When my sixth came along and started breaking out I decided I wasn't going to do anything more than keep it clean. It was gone within a month.

I sometimes wonder if what we thought to be eczema was just baby acne - the rash an infant gets from the hormones of the mother passing through the milk as everything tries to get back to normal after birth. Perhaps by treating it with medications for eczema we only made it worse. Just a thought.

~Cynthia

chrisziggy
Member posted 08-30-2000 11:16 PM
recipe idea from "Aromatherapy for Babies and Children" by Price and Price Parr
eczema massage oil:
30 ml (1 ounce) sweet almond oil
10 ml carrot oil
10 ml calendula
the following essential oils
3 drops geranium (pelargonium graveolens)
3 drops lavender (lavandula angustifolia)
2 drops bergamot (citrus bergamia)
can be used on all affected areas of the body with a light massage accompaniment.
you can also make an oatmeal bath by griding up oatmeal into a fine powder and adding to the bath water. you can also put a drop or two of any of the above mentioned essential oils into the oatmeal powder before adding to the bath. if you need help finding oils feel free to email me, i'll help you out, i am a clinical aromatherapist get only therapeutic grade oils and buy mine in bulk
*smile*
chris

breamisha
Member posted 09-18-2000 09:36 PM
My daughter has had eczema since she was a few months old. (She is now 3) I am convinced it was triggered by amoxicillan. My son also got it when he was a few months old--ALSO after a bout with amoxicillan. She now has dairy allergies which trigger eczema and loose stools. He has been free of it until the last couple of weeks--I suspect his MMR vaccine. (He is now 16 months) So, here I am, looking at info. on more alternative forms of medicine and vaccinations, since my pediatrician, as caring as she is, has been NO help whatsoever. But, that is the long answer to how have we treated it! With Caitlin I have controlled it by first using an elimination diet to figure out what was triggering it. In her case, we suspect casein, the cow protein in all cow's milk products. So, she now drinks goat's milk, eats goat cheese (colby, cheddar, feta, chevre soft white cheeses) and eats sheep's milk yogurt (better flavor, I think, than goat yogurt). To treat the skin I use Aveeno oatmeal baths when she has a severe outbreak, Lubriderm lotion (sometimes with vitamin E oil mixed in), and hydrocortisone (1%)ointment sparingly. (Sometimes benadryl creme is helpful too.) There ARE consequences for long-term hydrocortisone use. Don't let your doctor fool you. It causes thinning of the skin which can lead to cracking and a secondary bacterial infection setting in. (Which needs to be treated with antibacterial ointment--prescription Bactroban has been the most effective for us.) So, the best medicine, in this case, is prevention. Try to figure out the root cause and then stay away from whatever it is. We went to see a pediatric gastroenterologist for my daughter and he said that the gut has its own "immune system" almost--and you can have a reaction to foods that isn't considered as a true allergy so it doesn't register highly on a blood test, but you can still have allergic responses like hives and eczema. It's good to minimize exposure to the offending item also because the more exposure kids get to it the more allergic they become. If you can eliminate it from their diet (assuming it's a food thing) until they're older, sometimes they can develop a tolerance for it as their immune systems mature. Good luck!
Chris

Cynthia in Arabia
Moderator posted 09-19-2000 02:36 AM
Just to clear up my goof in my previous post - four of my six children had eczema as infants. And get this - they were the two who have not had vaccinations!
~Cynthia

[This message has been edited by Cynthia in Arabia (edited 09-22-2000).]

Momay
Member posted 09-19-2000 05:42 AM
Well, I'm not sure if her vaccinations were the "cause..." She only seemed to develop eczema when we moved overseas. We think it's a combination of different food and the water. It's really harsh here in the Czech Republic. Whenever she gets a bath, her skin is terrible...We even shower her down instead of putting her in a tub. Nothing has worked. We used a natural cream we found here with aloe and seaweed. That worked for a while but not every time she has an outbreak. We are at a loss...a lot of the things you all have mentioned are not even available in this country...

Ness
Member posted 09-19-2000 07:51 AM
I have been an ezema sufferer since I was a child. My mother tried the elimination diet, alternately trying wheat free, dairy free, soy free etc.. to no avail. We tried countless creams and natural remedies, some helped some made it worse. I would get patches on my hands, elbows and beside my ears. I was a sufferer mainly during the winter months in Ontario but stress would often trigger it. At 24 I moved to Vancouver and my ezema disappeared. Although doctors give you many causes, geography or environmental causes is not one that most people think of. My suggestion if you're going to be in Czecho for a while is try natural, try alternative. Cortizone has way too many side affects. Best of luck.
p.s My mother in law is in prague
Ness

Momay
Member posted 09-20-2000 02:58 AM
Thanks, Ness...We have decided to just stick with natural for many reasons, one being the side effects that may occcur. We just try to ward off any dry skin by keeping her "lotioned up." That is all we can do right now...we are looking for a humidifier and flax seed oil. Perhaps your MIL would know where to get those things?

Ness
Member posted 09-20-2000 08:19 PM
Momay,
Sorry for getting back to you so late...it's just been one of those days. I don't know if you're in Prague or not but I spoke to my mother in law and she said she may know of one place you could try. She also goes to some kind of healing guru? In Prague I'm sure he's considered a somewhat witch doctor. I've never met him and don't know what type of schooling he's had, so I can't give you my opinion but my mother in law swears by him? So she may suggest it........you decide. My mother in law is also not that great at giving directions so try to get an address to the store if you can, but she does have a good heart and always means well. She told me to please pass along her name and number to you in hopes that she can help. Her name is Danka Parr (Parrova) she can be reached sunday-thursday nights at (4202) 71722194 in Prague.
She runs a large factory so during the day she is too hard to reach and on weekends often goes to the country. She also inquired if anyone spoke Czech in your house for direction purposes? Anyway I hope this helps, let me know how your seach goes.
Ness

Momay
Member posted 09-21-2000 08:12 AM
Ness! Thank you so much!!! We are in Prague, yes. In the center. I will give your MIL a call, although we do not speak Czech well...I have someone who could call for me. Email me sometime! I would email you, but your address isn't listed...mine is karastj@hotmail.com Thanks again!

breamisha
Member posted 10-13-2000 08:00 PM
Does anyone else suspect vaccinations as having caused an eczema outbreak? I am beginning to wonder about this myself.

Cynthia in Arabia
Moderator posted 10-14-2000 03:01 AM
Oh yes! I definitely suspect vaccinations. And there is info on this. I'll try to find it and post here.
~Cynthia

samali
Member posted 10-31-2000 04:58 AM
My 41/2 year old daughter had very bad excema between 4 and 8 months. I tried everything natural I knew, Chinese herbs, homeopathy, aromatherapy, acupuncutre, allergy testing, aloe, herbal creams, dust mite protection, Oat meal baths, altering our diets........what an effort it was! I am not sure exactly what helped. It all just eventually vanished.
An interesting observation though. When spring came around in October (we are from Australia) I began to take her nappy off much more. i think that the freedom from all those toxins entering her blood stream did her skin the world of good.

I also read an article last year about a woman whose baby son had chronic excema. She tried everything then finally decided to take her own course of action, which led her to reducing nappy use. His skin improved dramatically.

We have not vaccinated our daughter. She was demand breast fed and is still feeding occaisionally. I was really surprised and upset that even after all this she suffered from excema so badly those months.

Another friend of mine found that after weaning her son at 20 months his excema got VERY much worse.

All the best and good luck
Keep breastfeeding and loving your kids
Samali

Momtwice
Member posted 10-31-2000 05:40 AM
In our family food allergies cause exzema, ESPECIALLY cow's milk.

victoria
Member posted 11-06-2000 08:21 PM
Since we' ve returned to the Southern region, my son will from time to time have a small eczema break out, I've had success with bathing him with a good calendula soap, Weleda makes a great one, than while his skin is still moist, smoother him in Weledas' calendula cream for babies. Both can be found at your natural/whole foods stores.

jamie
Member posted 11-13-2000 03:34 AM
My daughter is 11 months old and we have been dealing with eczema for a while now. It is getting better, tho often it is hard to tell if she is just growing out of it, or if its whatever treatments we are using!
One thing I have found is that rotating treatment (lotions, oils, bathing products, hair products,etc..) seems to help somewhat. What I have found that sesms to be helping, is this...

We don't bath her too often, every other day or 2. She love the bath, so we do put her in the bath to play a bit more frequently than that. If she is dry or has been itchy I will often rub her with olive oil (almond oil is good too, but I am afraid of a nut allergy right now..) BEFORE the bath, (she is mixed (black and white) and her hair is very curly, so I often put the oil in her hair too!). I use natural soaps either specifically for children or regular olive oil soap or such.... After her bath I use a combination of Jojoba oil and evening primrose oil (about 1oz jojoba to 16 drops of evening prim-rose). I also take a evening prim-rose suppliment (either capsules, or I mix the oil in with food), since I am breast feeding. this really seems to have helped. I would like to give some to her, but I cannot find any information on giving this to infants and the quantity that would be appropriate... any suggestions?

1 other observation I have had... At night she will often wake her self scratching, and often it has correlated with teething pains as well, when I give her the Homeopathic teething meds, she stops itching as well! It has Chamomile in it, so I suppose it helps soothe... Its been wonderful!

Good luck!

Dolphin
Junior Member posted 11-17-2000 02:21 AM
My son got the first outbreak of eczema when he was two months old. At the time I had no information regarding vaccinations and allergies. He was exclusively breastfed and still is (he is now 2 years old). We tried everything, so many creams (medicated or not). It was awful. I tried to keep creams at a minimum and avoid too much bathing. Cetaphil lotion helped a lot (his thick craddle cap too). His eczema almost cleared when he was about 5 months. Later, when he received his 3rd dose of DTaP he got a Hyporesponsive Hypotonic Episode (almost lost consiousness-stayed in the hospital overnight for check up and observation). I was totally terified by realising that if the HHE had happened at night it would probably have resulted in SIDS! I started investigating everything, reading whatever was available. Now he gets eczema in tiny patches here and there and not so often. I now believe that his first outbreak was due to his 1st Hep shot. I think that his body is using his skin to detoxify itself from all the toxins (vaccinations etc). I try to avoid bathing too much and use only non soap cleansers at minimum amount. Just my story. My best wishes to you.

megerina
Member posted 11-20-2000 02:38 PM
What we were told was excema turned out to be fungus of some sort on our son's leg. We used lotramin and it took about a month but cleared up. He now has a cold and the stuff is back in the same place again, so back to going easy on sweets and such and using an antifungal again.
If the rash is "raised" it might be worth your while to give antifungals a try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.