~Update #19~ Need Help Quick! toddler 104.5 fever - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2006, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 22m ds has a fever of 104.5 degrees F with an ear thermometer. He developed a fever today and slept most of the day. He doesn't have any other symptoms except not eating or drinking much. Right now he's sleeping and was talking in his sleep and shivering. He also hasn't been sweating out the fever, his skin is really dry. Should I take him to Urgent Care?

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2006, 02:15 AM

Well, personally, I wouldn't. I know how scary it can be for them to get higher fevers, but especially with toddlers, the fever can spike pretty high, but still not cause any real damge. But that is just me

You must FOLLOW YOUR OWN INSTINCTS!

: that everything is just fine.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:15 AM

Wow that is high, urgent care or ibuprofen/tylenol. I am one mama who likes to let low fevers ride out their stay but once my little one reaches 103, I start to treat, the likelyhood of seizures freaks me out!

Good luck and hugs your way!

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
Old 03-01-2006, 02:16 AM

Have you tried to get the fever to break with a bath and tylonal? I know that we dont' like meds, but sometimes they are important.
Try to get him to drink lots of fluids that will help as well.
Hugs
Jessica
Old 03-01-2006, 02:17 AM

Before going to urgent care, call your ped. They still might send you anyway but at least then they will be ready for you.
That is a high fever but not really over the top terrible for a young child. Also, wet down a large towel and wrap his legs up...that should help it come down.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
Old 03-01-2006, 02:18 AM

if toy don't want to medicate, sponge dowm with water first. it will probably break soon, but follow your instincts!

Old 03-01-2006, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

I gave him tylenol about four hours ago. I'll go try to sponge him down.

Old 03-01-2006, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

Normally, I don't worry about fevers either. A low fever is just proof that the immune system is working to fight of some germs. But DS has just been so lethargic and sleepy all day. The shivering thing has got me a little freaked out. I'm pretty sure it's not a febrile siezure, though.

Old 03-01-2006, 02:29 AM

Febriles only happen when it spikes SUPER FAST...

I shiver when I have a fever too. It's probably worse for you than it is for him. Oh, I hope he feels better soon!!!!
Old 03-01-2006, 02:33 AM

Febriles can actually happen at other times, too. My kids have had them as low as 102, up to 105.

Anyway, I would treat with both Motrin and Ibuprofin if it doesn't go down within one hour or if it goes up anymore. 105+ starts getting scary. When my dd was in the ER with a high temp they gave her both meds "piggyback" and then as each was due for another dose (Motrin after 6 hours, Tylenol after 4) she got another dose of the appropriate med.

Normally I am a believer in letting the fever do its job but I would feel uncomfortable with it that high.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 03-01-2006, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Crap, now it's 105.1 I'm off to urgent care, thanks everyone for helping!

Old 03-01-2006, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma
Anyway, I would treat with both Motrin and Ibuprofin if it doesn't go down within one hour or if it goes up anymore.
I'm sure this is a typo, as motrin and ibuprofin are the same thing. You meant tylenol and ibuprofin, right?

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
Old 03-01-2006, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbean91
I'm sure this is a typo, as motrin and ibuprofin are the same thing. You meant tylenol and ibuprofin, right?
Yep!

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 03-01-2006, 02:53 AM

I hope everything is ok with your little one.
I would have gone to the hospital too.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
Old 03-01-2006, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride
I gave him tylenol about four hours ago. I'll go try to sponge him down.
Not too cool. Sometimes if you use water that is too cold to sponge down, the fever goes up cause their little bodies are trying to compensate the cold compresses.

eta, I just saw the update about 105.1 and going to urgent care. I say go, go, go if it's that high.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:41 AM

I hope he is ok......... Last summer DS started running a very high fever over 105 so I took him to urgent care and they cooled him down to quickly and it cause a seizure.. They also told me not to give motrin as it brings down the fever to quickly and can cause the seizure also... but I hope the little guy is doing ok... to you and your babe.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:47 AM

please update when you get back. thinking of you...
Old 03-01-2006, 05:25 AM

Saying a prayer for your little one.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

OK, update. We got to the ER and they admitted us right away. The nurse took his ear temp and only got 102.something. What the heck? Is my thermometer broken? Is theirs? I know it didn't suddenly drop in ten minutes. The nurse must have thought I was an idiot. I know it must have been higher than that because DS felt SO hot to the touch and was so lethargic. Then the nurse yelled at me for having DS wrapped up in a blanket. OK, well I just wrapped him up to bring him in here, it's like ten degrees outside! Then she gave me crap about not vaccinating. "So he's in daycare and doesn't have his MMR???" "Why isn't he vaccinated?" And this is like almost midnight, I've been up since 4am, I don't feel like defending my parenting choices. I just said for personal beliefs, and she accepted that. Then we got put in a room and waited for an hour and a half for the doctor. DS pretty much just laid himself down on the bed and was spacing out the whole time. DH got home from work, saw my note, and came to the ER. I said we should just leave, that is a ridiculous length of time to wait. I was going to go out and ask the nurse how long it would be and tell her we were just going to leave, but DS got all upset when either DH or I went for the door. So we waited.

Finally the doctor came in and at least he was nice. He examined DS's ears and throat and said their might be a little ear infection on the right side, and a throat infection. They gave us ammoxacillin, and I do actually agree with giving it to him in this case. He had pinkeye a little while ago, but it seems like he might not be able to shake it off completely, and with being in daycare, I'm sure he is being exposed to a bunch of streps and staphs. I think his immune system may be a little overwhelmed. I had given him a few weeks of no treatment to let his immune system work, and at this point I think he needs a little help.

Thanks for all the advice and prayers! I won't treat a fever under 103, so I'm not giving him anything for it. Although I haven't taken his temperature since the ER. That nurse had better have taken his temp correctly. I'm at school now, and won't be able to see him until this afternoon.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:30 PM

I'm sorry that your DS isn't feeling well. My DS gets fevers like that when he is starting to develop and ear infection. I put a few drops of olive oil in his ear and give him Hylands ferrum phos. every 15 mins until he shows improvement. It works like a charm. Fresh chopped garlic works good too, I try to give it to my DS on a spoon covered in honey (he's 3 so it's safe) and he eats a little, but spits most out.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Old 03-01-2006, 03:35 PM

I think sometimes ear thermometers can be really inaccurate. JMHO and experiences.

I hope the worst has passed, and he gets better soon.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:54 PM

If I'm convinced dc has a fever and the doctor doesn't agree, I ask for a rectal temp. It makes the kid a little more upset, but you get a core body temp which is more accurate. Those armpit measurements can be way off.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 03-01-2006, 04:48 PM
Banned

Just to add, this thread caught my eey as my toddler is battling a month long virus, no meds as doc says no reason to treat viruses can't be treated, and so we have been battling.........she started fever last evening that I never took temp for but she was hot to touch...I gave motrin and nursed her a solid hour and hlaf and it came down by then....

As for febrile seizures, my 6 yr old, when she was 4.5 (toddler was 6 weeks old then) woke one night uncontrollable shaking...scared the life out of us and her...she shook so badly the car seat on ride to hospital (3am) shook too! No fever at all. Get to Er, by the time they saw her within an hour there, no temp, they gave Tylenol anyways and said it was a *slight* seizure of febrile type, that doesn't have to have a fever to bring on and can actually come on prior to a fever. Scary stuff. But they said they don't do damage and all the hype of fevers causing brain damage are not true.

User Tag List