Healing the Gut Tribe ~ March - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 571 Old 03-05-2006, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Patty, how'd your dinner go?

Hopefully Firefaery will be around to answer the clay question, she's the expert on that one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 571 Old 03-05-2006, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Is Friendship Farmer's Cheese a legal version of DCCC?
Yes, Friendship FC is the one I use. It's at Whole Foods but at twice the price of my local market, so I just get extra and freeze them.
#63 of 571 Old 03-05-2006, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Can I be going through die off AGAIN? I haven't eaten anything different, and yet I feel lousy. Does this happen more than one initial time?
Yep!
#64 of 571 Old 03-05-2006, 05:31 PM

Ughh, (whine, whine) Why?
#65 of 571 Old 03-05-2006, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

I'm majorly PO'd right now about ProGurt non dairy yogurt starter.

I got it for DS's goat yogurt b/c it's dairy free and he still cannot do cow proteins. Well here I am preparing it all along for him, thinking it was soooo great b/c the taste was very mild compared to acidophilus yogurt. Well it's because it's not fermenting correctly!!!!

I posted this rant on Pecanbread:

Quote:
Jody, this is what I thought too, until today....

I have always made goat yogurt for DS with the 1/4 tsp. ProGurt
starter as directed. Perfect temperature maintained, all directions
followed etc. for months now. It turns out with the same mild taste
every time. I read this before about the L. casei and thought
great, good for kids.

Well I just made the yogurt again the usual way, except I used some
leftover yogurt in the jar *in addition* to the regular starter
amount. (We went thru the last batch in two days b/c I was eating
some, so it was very fresh.) Everything else as normal. This batch
of yogurt is TOTALLY DIFFERENT. Much more tart, like acidophilus
yogurt, and lots firmer.

This says to me that previous mild batches, even though cultured for
24 hours, did not have all the lactose removed because there was not
enough starter. Because once all the lactose is removed, more
bacteria doesn't grow b/c it doesn't have anything to feed on right?

What is the definitive test to ensure lactose is removed? I
originally thought it was the tart taste.

I'm NOT AT ALL HAPPY about this possibility. My DS has not been
progressing and I'm wondering if this is the problem.
So here's a rule that should not be broken: if your 24 hr. is not super tart don't eat it!!!!
#66 of 571 Old 03-05-2006, 05:42 PM

The dinner went ok. Unfortunatly I am reacting to something I ate but I'm not sure what. It was a pretty stressful meeting so I thought it might have just been that last night but we had the left overs for lunch today and I'm having the same symptoms. Bad heartburn/feeling like I might throw up. I think it was either the broccoli or the coconut. I have had both previously and had no reactions but I think I had more last night than on previous occasions. The only other possibility (that is just hitting me now) is the powdered egg whites I used to make the macarrons. I assumed they are legal since they are just egg whites but perhaps they have something else in them that makes them illegal....

Hmmmm....

I'm also really depressed right now and it feels systemic, not relational if that makes sense. I'm assuming it is die off stuff but man it is lousy. Anyone have any ideas? I have changed so much about my eating/suppliments etc that I'm not sure if I'm not getting something essential to my well being or what.

Also, what can I use for dd's teething. I'm using a homepathic liquid and it seems to help some but it wears off pretty quickly. I used to give her motrin before bed and that would get her through the night but it has illegal ingredients in it so I'm skipping that. She really freaks out if I try to give her meds in the middle of the night so getting more homeopathic into her at that point is not much of an option. Any ideas? She works on teeth for months before they come in. She began teething at 3 months old and we didn't see any teeth untill she was over 9 months old. She began these molars a 3-4 months ago and finally one is showing through and I can see another one just poking through. It could be a while for the last two.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#67 of 571 Old 03-05-2006, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ughh, (whine, whine) Why?
Are you asking me or the universe?
#68 of 571 Old 03-05-2006, 06:20 PM

Thanks Jane for being so kind as to reply to my post. We really do all love ya I think my DP might have read my post and your reply. He doesn't snoop (though clearly this is an open forum anyway) but he might have taken a peek since I've been talking about this thread and SCD much too much (according to him of course) He might just suprise me and jump on board too. He likes surprising me that way!

That sucks about the ProGurt non dairy yogurt starter. I'd be too. I was planning on ordering some of the starter tomorrow, but I'll see if I can get another non-dairy one at a local HFS instead.

Talking about goats milk, I'm probably just going to end up using the commercial kind since the possibility of getting organic raw goats milk is nill at this point in time. I'll keep trying through my friend, and if I can find the farm, I might be able to twist the arm of the farmer in time. I wish this were easier! (then again, I wish everything was easier since I feel lousy most days).

I've also been wondering if I should have cows milk yogurt lately. About a week ago, I upped my in take of commercial cows milk yogurt (a brand with live bacteria) and have given some to DS. This is really the only thing that has changed in our diets, and I can see the start of eczema on his face! I'm not going to take any more nor give him any. BUT, I'm wondering if I do start consuming homemade yogurt from raw cows milk, how will that effect what he gets through breastmilk? Also is commercial goats milk homemade yogurt just going to be as troublesome as the commercial cows milk yogurt would be? (I assume not as trouble some, but how does pasturization effect digestion? Do they homogenize goats milk in Canada?)

I've been wondering, is it legal to have seaweed in SCD? I love dulse, want to use kmobu for soaking beans, kelp for seasoning and agar-agar as a gelatin substitues. I'm also seriously considering spirulina for my low, low iron levels (been on the anemic side off and on for years) especially since after having two closely spaced babies.

Also, I need to find a suitable Vitamin C supplement. Those who take this, what brand do you use? I need Sodium Ascorbate, but all the brands I've come across locally have at least some ascorbic acid, which I want to avoid entirely if possible.

One last question (which may be completeley silly):
Is Almond meal equivalent to Almond flour?

The only product labelled "Almond flour" (refridgerated) I can get locally is Bob's red mill, and it's about $14/lb!
Almond meal however I can get at a bulk food store (not sure how it stays fresh without refridgeration) for $7.8/lb.
#69 of 571 Old 03-05-2006, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Are you asking me or the universe?
I was really asking you but I can do the *why me?* thing w/ the best of 'em!
#70 of 571 Old 03-05-2006, 10:07 PM

Okay, you experienced people . . .
I'm starting to suspect that dd is very sensitive to salicylates. I'm going to get some No Phenol and try it but here's the thing:
I just found that almonds are VERY high in salicylates and so is honey!
These are my staples now.

What do you all know about salicylates? Are any of your dcs sensitive to them too?
#71 of 571 Old 03-05-2006, 11:19 PM

Jane,

Have you ever had any reason to think that you were giving too much high protease enzyme such that it would cause blood in the stool or damage to the digestive system or have you ever seen any information refering to same? I have gone over the enzymestuff.com website and not seen anything that discusses symptoms of overdosing.
#72 of 571 Old 03-05-2006, 11:42 PM

Quote:
I'm majorly PO'd right now about ProGurt non dairy yogurt starter.

I got it for DS's goat yogurt b/c it's dairy free and he still cannot do cow proteins. Well here I am preparing it all along for him, thinking it was soooo great b/c the taste was very mild compared to acidophilus yogurt. Well it's because it's not fermenting correctly!!!!

I posted this rant on Pecanbread:

So here's a rule that should not be broken: if your 24 hr. is not super tart don't eat it!!!!
Just wanted to quickly say, that I use the progurt starter and every time the yogurt is super duper tart. So I wouldn't think it was "all progurt" for example, but maybe you got a bad batch. And that still sucks Are you going to call the company??
#73 of 571 Old 03-06-2006, 12:27 AM

I found out today how much my dd's and I need to change our diet. I had been grain free for 4 days and today I cheated. Man are we paying for it. My 2 dd's are very gassy, especially the baby. My bad :

Anyway, How long before I will be able to notice a difference? a few weeks, a few months? Please give me an idea

Oh yeah, I got both of the books suggested at the library yesterday. I have started glancing through them, but will try to actually read them tomorrow.
#74 of 571 Old 03-06-2006, 09:45 AM

Annikate-on salicylates: Make sure you are buying organic almonds. Organic nuts, veggies and fruit are allowed to ripen longer. Being picked prematurely will increase the levels of salicylates. Also, make sure you soak them. It makes a big difference for us. When possible buy from farmers markets and placed like that (fruit stand etc) where they don't have the option of "gas ripening."
Using raw honey also seems to make a big difference too. Ds is very sensitive, but not nearly as much when we do organic and raw. HTH.
#75 of 571 Old 03-06-2006, 01:20 PM

So I recently finished reading the Maker's Diet, and after some contemplation have decided to go on it with ds2. I did read Breaking the Vicious Cycle a few months back, and while they are similar, I feel intuitively drawn to the Maker's Diet for some reason that I can't really explain. I am really hoping that it will clear up ds's allergies. I've been reading up on HSO's and have decided that we are going to take them (though not as many as prescribed due to $$). I looked at the other supplements, but I don't think any of them would be necessary for our needs at this point. I also bought a small water filter that fits right on our tap. I figure if I'm going to make the effort, we might as well go all the way with it. Right now I'm trying to figure out the logistics of eating NO grains for 2 weeks, so if any of you have ideas please share! I would love to hear some specific recipes!
#76 of 571 Old 03-06-2006, 01:34 PM

Oh, and btw, I feel like when I talk about this process with others, they must think I'm such a freak...like it's just a couple of allergies, what's the big deal? Get some cortisone cream and let it go already.

Just needed to get that off my chest.
#77 of 571 Old 03-06-2006, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Jennifer,

I posted last month a very large post on my current view of elimination diets. For us they helped for a time, but never fixed the problem. I think you have to go beyond "there is a certain food or foods that is causing this" and look to the entire immune and digestive system. Why is it that they cannot handle certain foods? And we definately discuss that here.
It seems to me that elimination diets may help to identify culprits and help to establish concretely that there is a gut problem.

Quote:
The concept of a "food free" diet is very well discussed in Karen DeFelice's books: www.enzymestuff.com
I've perused this but we would have to get our doctor to sign off and write a "prescription" for over-the-counter additives for daycare. I just don't see THAT happening.

Quote:
Her explanation of leaky gut will make more sense why a bf'ing babe can react to mom's milk... it is not supposed to be that way. It means you are not digesting your food properly and whole food proteins are getting into your bloodstream. Thus just eliminating one or several foods won't fix that problem because if the problem continues, there will just be new foods to react to.
What I don't understand is why, when I didn't change my diet, his problems popped up when they did - that it isn't more of something in his solid food diet. Moreover, when he reverted back to exclusive nursing (when he had mild rotavirus a few weeks ago and we were home together for a few days), his skin issues almost vanished - we went back to work and to daycare before they were fully cleared up. When he started eating more broadly again, his problems re-emerged.

Because daycare provides food and will work with us to some extent, I'd rather not hunt and peck at what he can eat - I'd like to be able to provide them a list of things that would fit into the quasi-institutional setting (e.g., nuts would be out of the question; each meal must have protein).

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#78 of 571 Old 03-06-2006, 05:33 PM

Hi-
Finally subbing for March! I was wondering where everyone went! I don't have much time now, but I wanted to post that I have been SCD now for one month and my colitis is at least 85% better. Good thing, too. My dr said no one would scope me while pg and none of the meds would be a good idea either. It really is all about nutrition and digestion!! I'm learning so much from reading here-thanks all of you!

Kristin

Kristin, Mommy to 3 boys : (11,9,5) :

#79 of 571 Old 03-06-2006, 06:36 PM

Got dd's test results today. She is very high (at least 70th percentile) in aluminum and mercury. Very close to 68th percentile in arsenic, silver and tin. (THere are others that are about 60th percentile too.)

OMG what do I do now?

Gonna post over in vaccinations later when I have more time. . .
#80 of 571 Old 03-06-2006, 07:20 PM

Hey all I have been following these threads for a while now. I have a quick question. I dont plan on buying a yogurt maker. I just went to Whole foods and got some Bio K acidopholous yogurts to take. Has anyone heard of these?? I have been following the scd as best as I can with only a small cheat here and there. Major diet change for me! I have also been taking gse. I want to rebuild my flora now and wanted to know if this stuff is any good. Thanks!
#81 of 571 Old 03-06-2006, 09:26 PM

Patty, I've been super depressed, too lately, and was wondering whether it was the diet, perhaps I'm allergic to something in it, or maybe the change in weather (spring has always been hard for me for some reason).

Annakate, I often suspect that ds is intolerant to salicylates, but you would think that No Phenol would make a difference then, right? And it didn't seem to. But maybe we weren't consisent enough about it. The stuff sure is expensive to take that regularly, isn't it?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#82 of 571 Old 03-06-2006, 10:11 PM

I'm pressed for internet time this week. Sorry. WHat's the clay question?
#83 of 571 Old 03-06-2006, 10:47 PM

Thank you soooo much Jane for your response...still researching all of the great info...
to answer your question, DS has had no official diagnosis other than to say that he has a constipation issue that is purely behavoiral and that it will work itself out!!! right!!!

will keep you posted as to his progress and wish you and everyone here the best of luck with everything!

MANY, MANY thanks again...!!!
#84 of 571 Old 03-06-2006, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allergy mom
Jane,

Have you ever had any reason to think that you were giving too much high protease enzyme such that it would cause blood in the stool or damage to the digestive system or have you ever seen any information refering to same? I have gone over the enzymestuff.com website and not seen anything that discusses symptoms of overdosing.
Possibly, see this quote from site:

Quote:
If you have an injured gut, really poor digestion, bad bacteria or yeast problem, it seems to help to pick a broad-spectrum product not high in proteases and then a separate high protease product. The reason is that proteases might cause some irritation to seriously injured tissues, so a 'gentler' approach works better. The proteases are not necessarily harming the injured tissue, just causing irritation. Think of when you may have skinned your knee or other similar injury. The wounded area is hurting, maybe bleeding. Maybe there is dirt in the area or the beginning of an infection. You need to clean the wound and apply disinfectant. This is needed to help the wound heal, but it does sting and hurt during the cleaning out processes. This is similar to what proteases may be doing. They clean out wounds, clean out infections, yet in the process may cause some irritation.

Proteases may do other tasks besides food breakdown, which also brings the potential for more adjustment effects. Proteases can also have an impact on bad bacteria, yeast, parasites, and viruses so they can contribute to greater die-off reactions. Proteases also more directly heal tissue and clean out wounds. Although all these healing activities are beneficial, they can also be accompanied by more adjustments which eventually go away anywhere from 1 day to 4 weeks or a little more depending entirely upon the enzyme product and the severity of your particular problem. Some people see no or very minimal adjustments while others see more.

Starting with the broad-spectrum product allows some gut healing to occur and then introduce the strong protease product at a later date. This way more effective doses of other non-protease enzymes can be given. It also helps the body to get used to improved food breakdown and nutrient absorption before the strong proteases come into play.
http://www.enzymestuff.com/basicsdosing.htm
See link for Karen's Yahoo group Enzymes and Autism, she is always around and will answer questions too.
#85 of 571 Old 03-06-2006, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
I'm pressed for internet time this week. Sorry. WHat's the clay question?
How to use it, dosage for die off, I think Patty asked above?

I gotta go tonight too... be back tom. everyone!
#86 of 571 Old 03-07-2006, 01:36 AM

Can anyone give me any feedback here? The SCD diet sounds great and I would love to try it..... However..... we have nut allergies! That cuts out many of our options. Has anyone tried this diet nut free? Or could anyone suggest a better gut healing diet that is more appropriate for those with nut allergies? Thanks! (I lurk here often.... you guys have such a busy tribe.... its hard to keep up every month!)

:
#87 of 571 Old 03-07-2006, 03:41 AM

:
#88 of 571 Old 03-07-2006, 01:05 PM

Hi everyone. I am going to introduce myself again. My name is Stacy and me 15 mo dd Darian and I are finally going on the SCD. I've been wanting to for months now, but dragging my feet thinking we aren't really that bad off.

Some background: I am sure we have major yeast issues, possible bacterial too. Had thrush on and off for 3 months then it went away (thank god). Was on Birth Control pills for about 7 years, got off them a year before concieving dd. Horrible diet growing up and in college (lots and lots of sugar, Mt. Dew, packaged foods). About 2-3 months before dd I intuitively started eating great, lots of greens (had major kale cravings all the time). Stopped smoking, drinking pop, cut down on bad foods. Started excersicing and feelling great, then oops! To this day I really think I somehow knew she was coming to me!

So now I am determined to try this diet ( I am horrible at sticking to diets). Now that spring is almost here I am hoping it will be easier to eat tons of veggies and not want grains! We are still breastfeeding, but lately dd has been eating more. Her poops are pretty regular every morning, although sometimes she will skip a day and get all out of whack. But no loose stools here. She has pooped in the potty since 6 months old, so it is a little difficult to decipher her bm's!! The looked pretty formed though. The problem is that a lot of food comes out like it goes in. So here we are. Ready to heal ourselves!!

I just want to thank all of you for keeping up this thread and helping everyone out.

So we started the diet yesterday, but kinda jumped into it. Since we don't have loose stools is it wrong to assume that we can just start eating all legals? I don't consider our guts that bad, so I still plan on using cabbages and coconut and not cooking fruits. Should I go slower?

Also has anyone tried soaking the nut flour instead of the nuts? I thought maybe I would try, since it is cheaper for me to buy the flour.

Ok, there's my long story. Thanks for listening!!

Stacy and Darian
#89 of 571 Old 03-07-2006, 04:00 PM

I mad e a seperate post but nobody is answering so I will post here too. Anyone know if it is safe to take gse while pg. I am not pg yet but am ttc and would like to know ahead of time. Thanks!
#90 of 571 Old 03-07-2006, 05:00 PM

Ok took dd to the chiro today. He hasn't seen dd in 2 months. He thought she just looked much better. Said her pulse is the strongest he has ever felt it. I'm thinking about cutting out cow dairy though (of course just after buying 2 gallons of milk and a whole bunch of cheese: . I just don't like the taste of goat milk. Will raw taste any less goaty??? Can I use the goat yougart at whole foods as a starter? I have some sheep yougart that has been sitting in my fridge for a couple of weeks. Will that work? I have a local source of raw goat milk. DD seems to like goat just fine but I need to be eating it too if I'm keeping dairy away from her...

Village mama- check out www.pecanbread.com they address nut allergies some on that website and more on their yahoo group.

Oh and I just bought The Makers Diet. I'm really liking the more comprehensive explaination of how the gut and brain are interconnected. I'm thinking that I may use at least some of his ideas to modify our scd (like cutting out all cow for now).

Ok gotta go.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page