Healing the Gut Tribe ~ March - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2006, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Busy busy day but I wanted some imput from those of you who are here and not on pecan bread (I posted this there too.)

Just wanting to run this idea past you more experienced mamas here.
Prior to scd we did a dose of motrin at bedtime and it helped dd sleep much better. But that has sugar in it so I quit that. DD is getting her 2 year molars so this is a rough time for her.

This week I started using tylenol suppositories. That helps a lot but they wear off after about 4 hours and then she is up and down for the rest of the night (doing another one at that point would be impossible). I got some adult ibuprofen. It is just double the dose that dd should have for her weight. I'm thinking about cutting it in half and crushing it and putting it into food. My only hesitation is that it does have corn starch in it. But it is such a tiny bit. Do you think that will be better than asking her to deal with the pain? We do homeopathics durring the day but they just wear off too quickly to be much help at night and dd hates to take anything after she has been asleep so that really doesn't work then.

I appreciate any insight.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2006, 04:47 PM

I read the enzyme stuff on bacteria....and the idea came to me...what about doing a high dose trial of peptizyde to get rid of bacteria? I still might try to do a high dose trial of virastop for the virus's.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:08 PM

For the inflammation associated with teething we rub castor oil mixed with clove essential oil (both are anti-inflammatory) up the jawline and around the ears. Is the pain in her teeth/gums or in her ears specifically? What homeopathics are you using? Combinations aren't very effective and do wear off quickly. Using just one (ie, belladonna, chamomilla or pulsatilla depending on her symptoms) would likely last longer and help you through the night.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:09 PM

GSE is absolutely safe, taken internally by mom OR babe (see protocol) and used topically.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestbirths
We joke around in our family that you have to be a real tough chick to take the CLO, dd and I took the twinlabs (which is awful)...then went around daring ds and his friends to take some. They wouldn't, then we went around bragging about how tough we were. After a week or so, we got used to the taste. Right after we take a spoonful, we wash it down w/ water. It's Mommy Fear Factor-Home edition. When the twinlabs run out, I am only getting nordic naturals in capsules.
: Boy is that true! Oh man, just the thought alone can make me gag now. I know it's psychological too -- reminds me of my father making me *try* liver when I was about 9 years old even though by the smell and look of it alone I knew I'd hate it.
Somebody tell me why I should do this again . . . ?
Old 03-11-2006, 06:35 PM

Quote:
For the inflammation associated with teething we rub castor oil mixed with clove essential oil (both are anti-inflammatory) up the jawline and around the ears. Is the pain in her teeth/gums or in her ears specifically? What homeopathics are you using? Combinations aren't very effective and do wear off quickly. Using just one (ie, belladonna, chamomilla or pulsatilla depending on her symptoms) would likely last longer and help you through the night.
I had never heard of using the clove oil on the outside. I'll have to try that.

We have done, high potency cammommilla more times than I can count. Doesn't work. Now we are using the natura bio liquid. It seems to help, but wears off. Chamomilla is what her dr always gives us that or sepia? (I think).

Pretty much her teething symptoms are night waking needing to nurse to get back to sleep and chewing on things. Other than that she copes pretty well. I don't cope so well with being an all night pacifier though.

I hate giving the motrin and tylenol but it is the only think that has ever worked very well for her. I am always open to trying new things though.

our family is <>< and :
Old 03-11-2006, 07:29 PM

Do you know what the potency is? Also, is she able to articulate what is is that's bothering her specifically? What is making her wake?
Old 03-11-2006, 07:54 PM

The potency of which? The high potency is 200c.

She doesn't articulate anything. She just cries out untill I get her to nurse (she currently starts the night in a bed beside our bed. She usually is pretty out of her mind when she night wakes. If dh has to go to her for some reason she usually is very upset.

our family is <>< and :
Old 03-11-2006, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the reassurance and info everyone.
Tell me what you would do...
I am going to start up again on probiotics. (and my children via breasmilk) Then start them on it. (We all have major systemic yeast problems) Then we'll start on other anti-yeasty stuff....
now, here's the question...dd has gut issues...(last night she had a white raisin, her body actually re-hydrated it and she passed it as a grape today! )
Would you start her on digestive enzymes first, at the same time or after working on our yeast issues? Does it matter?
And what enzymes should she take? Nothing really seems to "process" in her gut and I can't seem to make heads or tails of what she needs. (Maybe I'm just brain fogged right now...but geez I'm so confused!)

Jennifer, Wifey to Stevenwinky.gif, Mommy to Gwhistling.gif and Hfairy.gif. TTC for 5 years.
Praying for God to bless us again!

Old 03-11-2006, 09:29 PM

Patty, we get raw goat's milk from a local dairy, and it's way less goaty than the Meyenberg stuff from the HFS. On their website, Grace Harbor farms, they say it has to do with how the goats are managed, and I've heard that if the male goats are with the females, the milk tastes more goaty.

Jennifer, we have major yeast issues as well. From what I understand, you can take the enzymes at the beginning of a meal and the probiotics at the end, although it might require a bit more of a separation to work. Good luck and let us know what works for you.

For a sort of ok tasting cake, try the peanut butter cake, I think there are several out there, including two on www.pecanbread.com -- I tried one that included a mashed banana, and it fell, but it was moister than one I tried that had no banana in it. There is a recipe for peanut butter frosting that is good, too, again from the pecanbread website.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Old 03-11-2006, 09:37 PM

I started SCD is full swing today, and after 12 hours of being on it, I feel like sh!t. This can't be die off already right?! I've not felt this crappy since I can't remember when, and I feel crappy often. Perhaps this is the beginning of a cold or some other nasty bug? I'll wait it out and see.

Sorry to have to vent, but I needed this!
Old 03-11-2006, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siana
I started SCD is full swing today, and after 12 hours of being on it, I feel like sh!t. This can't be die off already right?! I've not felt this crappy since I can't remember when, and I feel crappy often. Perhaps this is the beginning of a cold or some other nasty bug? I'll wait it out and see.
Have you taken any enzymes? They can have a pretty immediate effect (as I found out the other day only a couple of hours after giving them to my 2-yr. old.)
Old 03-11-2006, 11:57 PM

Quote:
I started us all on scd at dinner time on a Sunday night. By Monday noon I was miserable and had a very bad yeast rash to boot! I seemed to be hit the hardest of all of us. Tuesday I got some suppliments from my chiro to support my gal bladder and liver. I felt much better after starting to take those. It can be die off this quickly. Hang in there, it will pass sooner or later.

our family is <>< and :
Old 03-12-2006, 02:27 AM

I have been lurking here and have a question about yeast. I read above about some of the tests that can be done. My 12mo has recurrent problems w/ diaper rash but it is usually easy to clear up. He has a the red ring but not all of the time. My ped thought about yeast and did a culture which was negative. Is that an accurate test? I don't necessarily suspect yeast (esp. since it clears up easily-I think it is more specific food related) but now the mention about sleep issues has me wondering. He wakes every 1-2 hours a night. He does nurse back to sleep easily. I am thinking it is more out of habit rather than due to a health issue but I am just trying to rule everything out. So, any thoughts about that culture we did?
Thanks mamas. Boy is this all overwhelming!
Old 03-12-2006, 11:12 AM

I was so frustrated last night that I posted this over in NT's thread-oops!
Feeling Frustrated!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK-a bit of background here:

I started reading this forum over a month ago, read the books and really truly think my family needs SCD!

My problem is implementing it on our budget. We are a family of 3 adults (a foreign exchange student-a very hungry foreign exchange student) and four children-11, 9, 5, 2.

We have been doing SCD now for 11 days-feel great-see some changes in the kids-but I am running out of money! My DH and I were at our local Co-op store and he said "We would be better off if we just ate like everybody else does." I am not going back-we were grains at every meal-all organic-all homemade breads and granola, etc., but still too much grain!

We are doing tons of vegetables-frozen organic because that is what we have available now-but we go through two pounds at a meal-plus my kids love veggies in between to snack on as well. Not to mention the almonds-yikes $11-14/pound! We go through pounds and pounds of apples,oranges, grapes. My kids are asking for more variety-but I am out of affordable options, I feel.

Help! Am I missing something here? Thanks you all for any advice!
Old 03-12-2006, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
faery, where do you get your clove essential oil? BOTH dds are teething right now. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:23 PM

I need a new food for dd2. She's been eating bananas, pears and zucchini (these she tolerates well). Lately she doesn't want zucchini anymore and I know pears and bananas are yeast feeders & I'm beginning to suspect a yeast problem.

She's highly reactive to chicken and I really don't want to do any meat yet. She's also reactive to salicylates (though does okay w/No Fenol).

So . . . I'm thinking of introducing either carrots or peas. Which one would you all suggest? Or can you think of something *safer*?

BTW, still waiting on IgE test results which could take a couple of weeks . . .

Thanks for any input!
Old 03-12-2006, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zsel
Not to mention the almonds-yikes $11-14/pound!
Jane suggested using flours from Digestive Wellness.
Their almond flour is $6.99/lb. (non-organic)

We too have been very heavy on grains in the past. My DP calls them a filler since in effect they really do 'stretch' out a meal. The way I'm going to make it financially feasible is to buy in bulk (raw milk, eggs, honey, direct from the farms, bulk almond flour and in summer, bulk veggies). Our co-op here is so expensive ($8/week service charge), that I'd rather spend that money driving out to the farms, get a better deal, and see what farming practices are used first hand.

It's great that you're doing frozen vegetables. Can't get cheaper this time of year (in Canada anyway). Also just stick to fruits that are in season in the US since they are likely to be cheaper than those produced elsewhere. As for meat, I suspect we're going to be eating canned salmon quite often -- it's very affordable for us.

HTH
Old 03-12-2006, 12:36 PM

Annikate and Pattyla, thank you so much for the support. I needed that last night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Have you taken any enzymes? They can have a pretty immediate effect (as I found out the other day only a couple of hours after giving them to my 2-yr. old.)
Haven't got in to enzymes yet. I wish someone could just tell me what to take with regards to those, because the last time I skimmed through some of the info. on http://www.enzymestuff.com/, it seemed like gobbledy-gook

Pattyla, I think it's time I got some of that clay too, just to have on hand, both for myself and DS

Update: My threshold for discomfort must be really low. If I thought yesterday was bad, this morning I felt TERRIBLE! : As usual I had cramps just before I got up to have a BM, but they were debilitating. I got a bucket ready to heave since I didn't really know what to expect (though my temp. was normal -- using FAM so I check every morn. anyway). After finally getting enough strength, I had the BM, and what a relief (sorry TMI )

The kids and I crashed on the couch and ate some apple cider jelly that I accedentally froze last night (i'm telling ya, I was out of it!). Now I feel almost normal, though very tired. Yeah for die-off

Thanks again for the support
Old 03-12-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
So . . . I'm thinking of introducing either carrots or peas. Which one would you all suggest? Or can you think of something *safer*?
Carrots are the only vegetable included in the introductory SCD. They are included in the chicken soup recipe, well cooked and pureed. Do you think your DD would like pureed carrots?

With peas, I think that perhaps the skins would be more difficult to digest at this point, unless you use a foley mill (with a fine strainer) to remove all of them? Not sure how digestible the 'meat' of the peas is otherwise.

You know what, I'm not much help Hopefully someone who knows more than me will pick this up and give you some info. you can actually work with!
Old 03-12-2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siana
Carrots are the only vegetable included in the introductory SCD. They are included in the chicken soup recipe, well cooked and pureed. Do you think your DD would like pureed carrots?

With peas, I think that perhaps the skins would be more difficult to digest at this point, unless you use a foley mill (with a fine strainer) to remove all of them? Not sure how digestible the 'meat' of the peas is otherwise.

You know what, I'm not much help Hopefully someone who knows more than me will pick this up and give you some info. you can actually work with!
That does help! Thanks. I forgot about carrots being on the intro. diet. (I'm so at a loss for dd that I'm grasping for straws really. Not to mention the fact that I'm very sleep deprived and not thinking straight either!
Old 03-12-2006, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I'm very sleep deprived and not thinking straight either!
Right there with you
Old 03-12-2006, 02:26 PM

OMG-I am already spending an extra $150 a week eating gf/cf....what would happen to the food bill if our family of 9 eliminated grains!!!

I am thinking about it though. I'll watch how you guys do it:
Old 03-12-2006, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestbirths
OMG-I am already spending an extra $150 a week eating gf/cf....what would happen to the food bill if our family of 9 eliminated grains!!!
Hi all, I haven't been around for awhile. But I am reading Karen DeFelice's book Enzymes for Autism and other Neurological Conditions. It is helping me understand all these digestive issues much better than Breaking the Vicious Cycle. I read Breaking the Vicious Cycle, but it did not convince me to go on the SCD. But Karen DeFelice is convincing me that enzymes are very important! I was already taking some enzymes prescribed by my nutritionist, but since I have started reading this book I am taking them more regularly and I am really seeing a positive effect in myself. I have way more energy and I am not eliminating ANY foods!

The way she explains it, if you have leaky gut issues, and you go on any kind of elimination diet, including the GF/CF diet, you will not heal your gut and usually you will end up having to eliminate more foods because the "safe" foods you are eating will leak through and your body will get sensitized to them, causing "allergic" reactions, behavioral issues, etc.

Enzymes, if given with a meal, help digest the food that is eaten so that big molecules of food don't leak through (as much) and cause as many problems. Enzymes given at times other than meal time will help break down yeast, bacteria, etc and therefore will help with gut healing.

Also, if one takes enzymes, all the supplements one uses likely will need to be decreased because both the supplement pills and the food one eats will be better digested and therefore, more bio-available to the body, so using enzymes can end up saving one money rather than costing more.

I went back for a second live blood analysis with my nutritionist. I still had some yeast, but it was a lot better, despite having only been on the yeast diet faithfully about a week out of the month I was supposed to be on it. She said I should eventually be able to get rid of the yeast even without doing the diet. I gave her the SCD diet book to read so I will be interested to hear what she thinks about it-BUT in the meantime I'm sticking to my enzymes and trying to relax. She said the more you stress out about food (or anything) the worse your digestion will be because your digestive system basically shuts down under stress. (think about the "flight or fight" response-blood is shunted away from the digestive organs to the muscles) So I'm not stressing if I need to eat a little chocolate, although my cravings are a lot better with the magnesium and trace minerals I am taking.

By the way, another thing that is important in healing any organ of the body is getting enough sleep-which is hard when you co-sleep and night nurse! (My dd is getting her 2 yr molars too, and she can get kinda frantic at night) But what really helps is me taking 200-300 mg magnesium before I go to bed and drinking camomile tea-both of which go thru the breastmilk.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:23 PM

Does yogurt made w/coconut milk have to cultivate for 24 hours or can you use it sooner?
Old 03-12-2006, 06:59 PM

I cultivate it for 24 hrs or more depending on temp just to make sure I've given the bacteria room to grow and breed
Old 03-12-2006, 07:02 PM

Word of caution: Chamomile is in the ragweed family and is *highly* allergenic on it's own.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:43 PM

I'm going to be broke with all the supplements that I am and going to be taking:

Cod Liver oil
Sodium Ascorbate
Bioflavonoids
Magnesium?
Ferrum Phos.
Pascalite clay
Vitamin B complex?
Enzymes

Am I missing any?
Old 03-12-2006, 08:34 PM

Just wanted to chime in on one way to reduce cost. According to Nourishing Traditions if you are making soup with a good bone broth you need less protein to get the same benefit since it helps you digest it. I've been making chicken broth a couple of times a week lately and it really isn't difficult.

Do you have a costco nearby? They have much cheaper nuts than you have been paying. Soon it will be summer and you will also be able to get veggies cheaper at farmers markets. You could probably go ahead and start some greens now (not sure where you live, but I'm needing to do that). They are easy to grow.

When things are in season get them cheap and then preserve them for when they aren't. If there is a farm near you, you may be able to buy a side of beef much cheaper than the individual cuts. Probably the first one's savings will pay for the chest freezer to keep it in.

our family is <>< and :
Old 03-13-2006, 12:29 AM

I just wanted to post this link here to help others understand what enzyme to use when and why. As I stated before (for whatever reason), I cannot get my head around which to use and why. This page totally cleared it up for me, from the enzymestuff page.

User Tag List