what does a broken toe look like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-04-2006, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my dd (21 mo.) was at my mom's this morning. while there, she got into my mom's pantry and pulled out a jar of peanut butter. she dropped the jar (plastic, but brand new, so full) on her big toe. it's black and blue and a bit swollen. she's really complaining and fuusy about it now. could she have broken it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2006, 06:14 PM

when I broke my toe I was about 6 I think...I remember being in pain, still being able to walk around on it but not wanting to because it hurt. I don't think there's really much they can do about a broken toe anyway...we finally figured out that mine was broken about a week after the accident that caused it...the hospital took an xray, said yup--its broken and that was that. it healed on its own, and is a bit longer now than it would otherwaise have been. no biggie. But it did hurt a lot, I remember that. Sorry I don't have a more definite answer for you.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:16 PM

There's really not much you can do for a broken toe. You could splint it to see if it helps it not hurt. I've broken every single one of my toes multiple times each.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
Old 03-04-2006, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

at the moment, she's playing quietly with her sister. I should go video it for posterity's sake! That's what I was thinking, that a dr. would splint it, and wondering if she would even leave it on her toe. I put arnica on it to help with the bruising and swelling, but obviously, if it's broken, that's not going to magically heal the break.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:47 PM

some thing that may be beneficial is some good bone growth support herbs....I don't know though...I'd check with someone first, but horsetail and oatstraw are both high in silica and can aid bone repair
Old 03-05-2006, 05:16 AM

I dropped a weight on my big toe a couple of years ago, and crushed the middle bone into many little pieces. It hurt like the dickens and I was in a cast for a while, and a boot after that. I think I'd probably go to a doctor, and I almost never say that.

If its broken it will be very painful and extremely swollen. The body does its own splinting so very big, very firm to the touch.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

I looked at her toe again this morning, and it appears to be fine. There is a very small amount of swelling, the nail is black and blue, but she seems to be fine. She let me put her tights and shoes on for church with no fussing, so it doesn't seem to be bothering her. I think if it was still bothering her, I'd take her in for look-see, but since she doesn't seem to be having any problems with it, I'm going to let it go.

Thank you for your replies, it's very helpful to hear of others' experiences.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:03 PM

If it's fine this morning, it probably isn't broken. Phew.

User Tag List