4 year old: Rash around side of mouth. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2006, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas,
Just a quickie here. My 4 yo DS has had a red rash around the left side of his mouth for a few days. It's not really a rash, per se, it just looks red, like he just drank some kind of juice. I started thinking that perhaps he just had dry skin in that area, but it seems to be getting worse. Now, he seems to have a few little patches of redness closer to his cheek on the same side.

Also, just noticed tonight that my younger son (18 mos) seems to have a slight version of the same thing around his mouth. Hmmmmmm? Although I have to admit that I could've just *thought* I saw something similar, and I'll need to look again in the morning.

Any ideas what this is? He also seems like he's getting sick (4 yo). No fever, but just a little lethargic today.

TIA, Mamas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2006, 03:37 PM

Dd used to get something like that when she was smaller - in her case it was a drool rash!
Old 03-06-2006, 03:46 PM

My oldest (6) had terrible dry skin and red rash like thing around her mouth, it even spread up to her nose. I started giving her flax oil and vitamin A. After 2 months of the before mentioned supplements it went away.

She had had it for months and months and nothing else helped. So IMO what my dd had was a deficiency.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:16 PM

my dd and ds1 both get red patchy on their faces if they have any of a certain salad dressing they're allergic to. we're not sure what PART of the dressing they're allergic to, but it's definitly an allergic reaction in them. Do you notice anything on the palms of their hands or bottoms of their feet? I ask because it could also be hand foot and mouth disease, if you google it you'll find pics of that, totally harmless virus, goes away after a week or so.

gl
Misty
Old 03-06-2006, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Mamas,
Thanks so much for your replies.

Mammastar2-Yes, I've seen the drool rash in both my kids when they were/are teething. It looks sort of similar. Although this is a bit patchier.

momtol&a and misty-I've wondered if this is an allergice rxn or a deficiency. It came on sort of suddenly. Like, one morning I noticed it. And I've heard before that a rash around the mouth can be a sign of an allergic rxn. Although, my DS is a very finicky eater. Like he has about 4-5 things in his repetoire. So I know that he hasn't had anything new lately. Misty-I'm going to go google the HFM. I know a bit about this, but I should really see a pic. Also, I will look more closely at his feet and hands after his bath.

Thank you, mamas. You all always make being a mama a little bit easier some days.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Just looked at some pics of HFM. Doesn't seem to be that. He doesn't have any sores, just redness, and nothing IN the mouth, just outside of the mouth. He tends to be a licker (when he's stressed, worried, he licks his mouth). Could be the culmination of dry skin, licking, and cold air. I'll check it out again tonight.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:49 AM

My 4 y/o ds has this too! He had a dry, red patch that lasted awhile. It went away but over the last couple of days I have noticed that it is coming back. I have assumed it was a winter thing. I didn't think about an allergy...
Old 03-15-2006, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

cc-I'm convinced now it was/is a cold weather/winter thing. It's been gone for a few days now, happy to say.

User Tag List