NutraSweet/Aspartame question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2002, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't post often but I love the fact that I can post my questions and get really great help and answers!

My question this time is regarding NutraSweet (aspartame, by any other name...). Could anyone provide me with some information on what it does to your body? Yesterday I was at a luncheon and all that was provided was diet soda. When I drink soda I drink regular because I'm not so sure about NutraSweet and don't like the taste. The soda tasted strange but I drank it anyway (my first mistake). Ever since I just have not felt right. I'm having all sorts of body parts aching that haven't ached in a while, I feel like I'm walking around in a fog and I had a headache wake me up for about two hours last night and I was crying from it.

My mom is actually the one who mentioned to me about NutraSweet possibly aggravating fibromyalgia. I've never had an "official" diagnosis of fibromyalgia but I think I have it.

Anyway, thanks for the help and advice. I'm interested to learn more about it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2002, 01:58 AM

Whenever I chew gum that has NS in it, I get flareup of irritable bowel.

Is that more than you needed to know about me?
Old 01-16-2002, 02:16 PM

Not to make your headache that much worse,but here's a quick rundown on what aspartame does to the body-Promotes ADD,alzhimers,DNA changes,birth defects,brain lesions,uterine polyps,memory loss,migraines,slurred speech,non-reversable severely decreased learning ability in children whose mothers ingested during pregnancy,depression,intestinal bleeding,blurred vision,abdominal pain,aggravates diabetes, fibromyalgia,chronic fatigue etc..etc.. and this is only the tip of the iceburg!It is responcible for 75% of adverse food reactions.And who could produce something so detramental but Monsanto!Oh and here's a personal story about aspartame.My stepmother went for a diet coke to a McDonalds about two and a half blocks from her home where she'd been living for three years.My father gets a phone call from her a while latter and she's compleatly freaked and crying without a clue to where she was!My father retrieved her and said it took a long time to calm her down.Pretty scarry business huh.
Old 01-16-2002, 02:23 PM

I wish I could remember off the top of my head the exact details...but I will have to summarize.

Aspartame is a neuro-toxin. This means that is toxifies and irritates your nervous system (brain, spinal cord, nerves). This symptoms of this irritation can manifest in a number of ways; headaches, blurred vision, shakiness, increased pain reception and so on. This chemical has the potential to affect any area of your body because the nerve system goes to every single organ, tissue and cell of your body.

This stuff is serious bad news...especially to kids who are still developing their nerve systems. For this reason, avoid this stuff at all costs if you are pregnant or nursing!

I know there was a lot of controversy even in the mainstream press and FDA when aspartame was approved for the market. But big money won...regardless to the insidious damage caused.
Old 01-16-2002, 02:40 PM

I never had any negative reactions to NS when I was a diet coke addict, but my mom, who has diabetes, had some severe reactions. After seeing what she went through, we went NS-free.

I then meet a guy who worked at Searle (a subsidiary of Monsanto) who consumed the stuff all the time. But he did tell me don't ever give it to kids under 7.
Old 01-16-2002, 05:57 PM

Well, sounds like everyone has already covered everything, but since I've got an aspartame section in my filing cabinet just begging to be shared...

Here's an article:

http://www.dldewey.com/aspar.htm

Also there is extensive aspartame information at www.dorway.com

I'm certain Dr. Mercola has some thoughts on the poison as well. www.Mercola.com

Bottom line, the stuff is bad news and there's no reason to consume the stuff. Studies have been done that those using it actually GAIN weight so it ain't the weight loss miracle that so many people are convinced of.

And besides, there is always stevia.

User Tag List