Chlorine in bath water - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-19-2006, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you get it out? I think it is causing my babies ezcema and I was wondering if anyone knows of a filter to get it out that I can put on my bath tub facet. Thank you so much!

Homeschooling Momma to DD 8 years old, DS 7 years old, DS born 03/11 by adoptionheart-1.gif , waiting for DD born 07/10 and two furry labs. Wife to my wonderful husband of 12 years.
#2 of 20 Old 03-19-2006, 10:05 PM

I've seen a bath ball, or something like that, that you put in the tub. I'm not sure how well they work. I think I will try one out. My kids love to take baths and I hate the thought of all that chlorine. I think I saw some at Whole Foods.

I don't remember who posted it but, somebody posted vit C, or Sodium Ascorbate(I'm not sure which one, or if it matters) neutralizes chlorine in water.
#3 of 20 Old 03-19-2006, 10:10 PM

I don't know of a specific filter, but many do take out the chlorine. You could probably search for one. When mine were small and bathing OFTEN and long I was on a well. Ummm.... baths are less of a part of our life now.

One other benefit is that there is some evidence that chlorine in bath (and especially inhaled in showers) may be carcinogenic. This is not one of my worries (I have my own, thank you very much, LOL) but it's a good excuse to put a filter on.

Excema could be chlorine, or allergies, or dry skin or who knows what! I assume you're as addicted to Weleda Baby Cream as I am/was? It's really nice. Shea butter (pure) works well for medium size spots and I STILL swear by Lansinoh/PureLan100 for small spots of anything for my kids and myself. But I'm not an excema expert. My ped thought DS had if for a while last falll (we never agreed). I treated it like very sensitive, dry skin and in a few months (it was winter) the patchs went away. Of course, he was five then...

Good luck!
#4 of 20 Old 03-19-2006, 10:29 PM

Here's the bath ball. I've been thinking about trying it, our water stinks.

http://www.watershed.net/bath-ball-rs.htm
#5 of 20 Old 03-19-2006, 10:37 PM

We have this shower filter and I just use the showerhead to fill DS's bath.

http://www.radiantlifecatalog.com/pr.../ct/7/pid/1180

That site has a bath ball too.
#6 of 20 Old 03-20-2006, 12:36 AM

we have this chlorine filter on our tub
http://www.phpure.com/water_products/CuZn_BathBall.htm

my dd is allergic to chlorine and she has definitely been less red and itchy during her bath since we started using it
#7 of 20 Old 03-20-2006, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Oh thank you so much! I am off to order one!

Homeschooling Momma to DD 8 years old, DS 7 years old, DS born 03/11 by adoptionheart-1.gif , waiting for DD born 07/10 and two furry labs. Wife to my wonderful husband of 12 years.
#8 of 20 Old 03-20-2006, 12:25 PM

The Vita C bath ball or shower filter works very well, I just don't know for how long.

After we installed the Vita C shower filter (which is the same as the bath ball), we tested our water with the swimming pool kit and voila! no chlorine.

I have used it for about two months now and I guess I should test the water to see how long this lasts....
#9 of 20 Old 03-20-2006, 12:35 PM

I just saw the ones from the link above are different from what I have and a bit more expensive.

We got ours on ebay. Do an instant search on Vitamin C shower filters.
#10 of 20 Old 04-28-2006, 09:54 PM

Oh, yay for this thread! I was just looking for information like this. Here's what I'm looking at getting:

http://www.todayshealthyhome.com/vit...wer_filter.htm
#11 of 20 Old 04-28-2006, 10:03 PM

Thanks for pointing out this thread chasmyn! I'm going to use our pool kit tomorrow and test our water.
#12 of 20 Old 04-28-2006, 10:13 PM

I knew there was one of these threads around somewhere!

For avoiding using chlorine in a pool, you can use this hydrogen peroxide product:

http://www.baquacil.com/default.asp
#13 of 20 Old 06-14-2006, 01:18 AM

Reviving this thread...

I'd like to buy a bath ball and or shower filter as my son's excezema gets bright red after a bath.

There seem to be a lot of different filters- Vitamin C, KDF etc.

I've heard the effectiveness of the filters is different depending on whether you are using hot or cold water???

Which kind does your family have, how long have you had it, and why do you think it works better than the other kinds, if you don't mind me asking.

What's the best overall deal, considering some filters have to be changed every 3 months, others every year :

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#14 of 20 Old 06-14-2006, 08:42 AM

This may be a silly question but I'm just wondering, having read the vitabath page, can I just add vitamin C powder to the bath? How does vitamin C remove chlorine?
#15 of 20 Old 08-30-2006, 06:00 AM

I found this website very helpful when trying to decide which filter to buy.

http://home.comcast.net/~reviewguy/

I think I'm going to go with the VitaShower SF-1 and I'm going to order it from here: http://www.ronin-online.com/purchase.html

My son has eczema on his wrist and inner elbow and it is always is super red and ugly looking when he gets out of the bath. I think I'll try the VitaBath tablets as well.

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
Mom to Conner (8/19/03) and Parker (5/23/09)::::
#16 of 20 Old 08-30-2006, 06:47 AM

Since this thread has reappeared, I'll add that it DOES seem to work to add vitamin C/an ascorbate to the water. I had a big jar of calcium ascorbate that I bought once when I was sick (and wouldn't normally take, in pref. for sodium ascorbate). Now it sits by the bathtub and I dump in 1/2 tsp as the water is running. It certainly takes away any smell of chlorine (which otherwise bothers me a lot), though I am curious as to how/why it works. Cheap, too, compared to some of the vita C bath-specific products.
#17 of 20 Old 08-31-2006, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavery
This may be a silly question but I'm just wondering, having read the vitabath page, can I just add vitamin C powder to the bath? How does vitamin C remove chlorine?
I hadn't thought of that! We've been looking for an inexpensive bath ball this whole time... where can you buy Vitamin C powder?

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#18 of 20 Old 08-31-2006, 07:20 AM

Hmmm, I have a big bottle of Vitamin C powder as well (I bought it from my local health food store). I just ordered my VitaShower last night, but maybe I'll try the Vitamin C powder in the meantime. Does your child have eczema too or are you just using it to get rid of the chlorine for other reasons? My vitamin C powder is 5000mg for 1 tsp. It looks like the VitaBath tablets (which I didn't end up ordering afterall) are 1000mg per tablet.

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
Mom to Conner (8/19/03) and Parker (5/23/09)::::
#19 of 20 Old 09-01-2006, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essnce629
Hmmm, I have a big bottle of Vitamin C powder as well (I bought it from my local health food store). I just ordered my VitaShower last night, but maybe I'll try the Vitamin C powder in the meantime. Does your child have eczema too or are you just using it to get rid of the chlorine for other reasons? My vitamin C powder is 5000mg for 1 tsp. It looks like the VitaBath tablets (which I didn't end up ordering afterall) are 1000mg per tablet.
Hey, there fellow San Diegan : Yes, my son has eczema. It is pretty much gone now that we reduced frequency of bathing and installed a chlorine filter. But the vitamin c powder would be great as right now we have to fill up the tub veerry slowly from the showerhead.

I can't believe we didn't try this earlier. My son has had exczema for 2 1/2 years, and now it is almost gone, it still flares up a tiny bit after bathing, but it's a huge difference from before.

On a side note, I notice you're a doula, I wish I had a doula attending my son's birth.... perhaps you can lead me to a midwife who will do a Hbac for me (not pregnant yet though )

#20 of 20 Old 12-04-2006, 03:36 AM

I saw this in the catalog over thanksgiving and thought of this thread. When I searched for the thread hre at MDC, I see there is a chlorine filter on the TP too.

HTH

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page