Dry skin patches - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-25-2006, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby gets these little patches of dry skin, sometimes reddish, on his legs and diaper area. The doctor said it was mild eczema and he wants me to use cortaid 2-3x a day until the patches clear up and then put aquaphor on his skin. I do not want to use either of these products on my baby's skin.

Does anyone have suggestions for more natural alternatives? Again, I want to reiterate that this is a mild skin problem, and it doesn't seem to bother ds at all (doesn't seem itchy, etc.) so I'm not overly concerned about it.

Mom to DS March '05 and : DD Feb. '08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2006, 12:05 PM

You need to find the cause, not treat the after-effects. Elimination diet, changing soaps (both body and laundry), avoiding fabric softeners etc. In the meantime, you can use a little olive oil to soften the dry patches if they're bothersome.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Lish. Yes...I know you are right about finding the cause. I don't think it would be soaps, I am very particular because *I* am sensitive. I NEVER use anything scented or any fabric softeners or the like. I suppose I should do an elimination diet. Gee, I sure hope it's not chocolate that he's allergic to!!!

Mom to DS March '05 and : DD Feb. '08
Old 03-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Banned

Just a reminder: a baby is a separate human being from it's parents. What might work for one person, does not always work for another, kwim?

Maybe your son is more sensitive than you are to the soaps or detergents or what have you.

I know that my oldest dd can only wash with the soap from Avon. We have tried everything else and her skin was just too sensitive.

Myself, I can use just about anything, except bubble bath. My favorite! I guess I had too many when I was little and built up sensitivities or something.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:58 PM

Hi,
My 3mo.ds was just dx w/moderate excema on his face. The dermatologist recommended plain petroleum jelly plus cortaid. I too am reluctant to use these products. I found that Weleda Calendula Baby Cream really helps him. I use a natural detergent and am currently on a dairy free diet to see how much it helps.
Margie

User Tag List