Healing the Gut Tribe.......April - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-14-2006, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting things I've been reading about the nasty bug DS has: proteus mirabilis.

Cause of diarrhea. Produces ammonia and can put body ph out of whack. Penetrates deep into gut lining and causes inflammation. Emits hemolysins (cell-damaging protein toxins produced by pathogenic bacteria).

Makes sense!

I'm a little freaked out about getting rid of it. My Ped/Homeopath was NOT that helpful. We are supposed to do 1/5th-1/6th of adult dosage of uva ursi and plant tannins. And I'm not sure I want to use UU b/c of the liver issue. Then she says well you can use berberine if you want to.

And I outlined all these questions via email about minerals and other tests re: his growth and amino acids and she didn't even end up addressing them in our phone appt. today. But she did say she would redo his homeopathic remedy. I guess that's her experience and she doesn't have much else for us.

I'm irritated. I guess I should just do the freakin tests myself and figure it all out myself!!!

Oh, except DH said no going off by myself b/c he thinks I'm just wasting $$ and I don't really know as much as a professional! If we had a "middle finger" smilie, I'd be using it. :

Aren't I a party today?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2006, 12:21 AM

No Oregano Oil While Nursing Or Pregnant!
Old 04-14-2006, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Interesting things I've been reading about the nasty bug DS has: proteus mirabilis.
Wow, how did he get that? Poor little guy... I hope you can find something to help him.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:25 AM

Oh, Jane! I'm so sorry! I wish you were closer to CT. My practitioners have been SO helpful and have figured all of this stuff out. They are very used to these tests...Do you have out of network benefits? Maybe you could call them? I know that the herbalist/nutritionist has done email consults before...wishing I could help you more.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:47 AM

Annikate:
We just got through a 2 hour crying spell. He was screaming, and actually had tears coming down his poor little face. How the heck do I get rid of wheat though??? Seems like wheat is in EVERYTHING! I just don't know what the heck I would eat. It seems as though my husband doesn't really understand either. He got home from work and Brody was *ok*. He started crying, I was comforting him, still crying though. He was SCREAMING with the tears and I could tell DH was getting irritated but I was the one rocking him still. So he tells me just go to put him in his crib and leave him! UMMM NO! Then I was crying because I was the one who made him miserable because I ate two corndogs for lunch that I KNEW had dairy in them but I wanted to see if he reacted. He had a really yucky mucousy diaper earlier in the afternoon so I know he was reacting but didn't think he'd get this bad. *sigh* I'm just so frustrated and upset. I hate this.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:56 AM

Jane,

Your ped should work with the clinician at the lab to outline a plan for you. Does she not realize that they have people available for that purpose? Was she just humoring you with the test?

Our homeopath is also an MD and homeopathy is his biggest tool and he's good at it. But it is frustrating when you want more than that. IKWYM.
There have got to be some other resources there for you. Call Metametrix and ask which docs in your area use the lab, then interview the docs. Post on the yahoo native nutrition list. It's pretty active.

Amanda

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 04-14-2006, 01:21 AM

Jane, i just tossed the box, when i get the new shipment next wk i'll post the 8 strains. i know three of them are bifidus. our gi is kinda clueless on it but has agreed it won't hurt. lol, one of his suggestions was to add rice cereal to the neocate. RIGHT - idiot. i'm going to see a new one at georgetown in early may. i could prob fight ins to pay for it since it is a medical food, but haven't bothered yet.

and thanks for the wap links on goat formula. i def. want to try goat milk scd yogurt on the little guy at some point.

the strange thing is, I have plenty of milk, had no supply issues, and no gut issues at all. the only thing i've discovered in all this is that legumes can give me some discomfort if i forget my digestive enzymes. i do feel some die off though from the yogurt and the enzymes. less so now that i've been on them for a few months.

lol, i was at lll tonight and it was all i could do to not scare a poor mom to death that was asking about food intolerances in her baby.

angela, good luck getting rid of dairy!! you will see a huge difference in your baby..we did too before the yeast from hell took over.

oh, and progurt - argh - i can't believe that it isn't as potent as they say. blech. i'll try it with 1 tsp and see how that does. i want to use the progurt with goat milk for ds, for me i just use yogourmet.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:21 AM

jane~I was just coming back to post what Amanda already said. The person running the metametrix test for me has been in contact with the lab several times just for me to get info. THey seem to take alot of time dissecting results. I know someone else just got testing done and the results were confusing-the lab spent a good amount of time figuring it out as well. I would think they could guide your doc and give some help.

Our homeopath is an MD as well-though he doesn't practice allopathically anymore. It's invaluable to me because he can read and order all the tests, but really doesn't think that "modern" medicine has anything to offer. I love homeopathy (incidentally, mostly because I have an amazing practitioner) but it does have it's limitations. You really are on the right track, mama. I'm constantly amazed by your perserverence.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:01 AM

So...could I try raw garlic to kill yeast? I know I'm not at the raw stage yet, but would it be worth a try?

Also, is it a bit counter-productive to be eating all this well cooked food that doesn't have enzymes, since I'm not taking any enzymes yet? Is my body still going to be able to digest it?
Old 04-14-2006, 03:14 AM

Raw garlic, raw onions, GSE, enzymes, so many things will kill yeast. You shouldn't have a problem with cooked foods if your digestion isn't seriously hampered. I would try eating a bit of raw before cooked-as in a salad before dinner. In general I do believe raw is better though.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:13 AM

babygrant, I'm sorry Brody is so miserable.
It does seem like wheat is in everything. It gets easier to avoid, though. When I first started avoiding it, I would go to the health food store and buy rice pasta, wheat free breads, and rice crackers. Then for a long time, I just ate meat, veggies, fruits and other grains like rice and oats.
There are some good cookbooks out there. One I like is the Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook by Cybele Pascal. Plus many of the scd recipes would work for you.
Good luck.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:15 AM

It does seem like wheat is in everything. It gets easier to avoid, though. When I first started avoiding it, I would go to the health food store and buy rice pasta, wheat free breads, and rice crackers. Then for a long time, I just ate meat, veggies, fruits and other grains like rice and oats.
There are some good cookbooks out there. One I like is the Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook by Cybele Pascal. Plus many of the scd recipes would work for you.
Good luck.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:39 AM

Good luck.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:44 AM

sorry for the multiple posts.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
It is legal...if you choose to go that route.
FF, this sounds like a warning. Something about shellfish that's not good?
We're going on vacation soon to a small island and I'm trying to line up all the things I can eat before I go. Not to mention decide what foods I can pack and bring (if any). Definitely trying to smuggle in some almond flour though!
Old 04-14-2006, 10:37 AM

Had TWO raw apples yesterday and no reactions whatsoever. I must really be doing some healing. Oh, and I also forgot enzymes for myself yesterday too.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:08 PM

Shellfish, pork, and some other things are never legal on the makers diet. JR says that they are not kosher because they are hard to digest. I think that is what she is talking about. FWIW I have heard that about pork before from a source that wasn't concerned about kosher/not kosher.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Old 04-14-2006, 12:48 PM

I'm thinking the white coating on my tongue isn't thrush after all--it was almost gone yesterday evening, and then I looked at my tongue again right before I went to bed and the white coating was back...so I figured it must have been something I ate. The only things I had in the evening were applesauce and an almond butter pancake, so I wonder if somehow the almonds are causing it (they're not organic). Did someone say something earlier in this thread or maybe in last month's thread about having problems with almonds?

Sally Fallon in NT even mentions having reservations about shellfish and pork.

I don't understand why peanut butter w/no additives is legal but shelled peanuts are not...I understand that shelled peanuts may have starch added, but what's to say the peanuts used in making the peanut butter don't have starch added? Or has someone researched this and found out that the PB doesn't have starch added?
Old 04-14-2006, 02:02 PM

Pork isn't eaten or recommended in the maker's diet because it is the best medium for cancer growth-also there's the whole cloven hoof thing-we aren't supposed to eat anything with a cloven hoof. As far as shellfish-it's a contamination issue. I don't think they are difficult to digest (at least I haven't read that) it's that they are scavengers and ingest all the "crap" in the ocean. You, therefore, ingest all of toxins they have accumulated. Shrimp is possibly the exception because contrary to popular belief-they are not bottom dwellers. They are mobile and if you get them wild caught in theory the toxins are mostly in the shell which you remove. HTH. Biblically-you don't eat anything without an excretory system-at least I think that's how it's worded.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:02 PM

Actually the Bible says they (marine life) have to have fins and scales in order to be edible.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:37 PM

There ya go! Fins and scales. No shellfish either way. Thanks Caedmyn.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:07 PM

Sorry about your ds Jane, I thought those were *okay* results.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Actually the Bible says they (marine life) have to have fins and scales in order to be edible.
ya learn somethin' new every day.

BTW, also just learned that the bible also talks about the importance of adequate sleep for health maintenance.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
I don't understand why peanut butter w/no additives is legal but shelled peanuts are not...I understand that shelled peanuts may have starch added, but what's to say the peanuts used in making the peanut butter don't have starch added? Or has someone researched this and found out that the PB doesn't have starch added?
I wonder about that, too. I mean, at the places I buy the fresh ground, it's pretty obvious the peanuts have something on them, they look kind of powdery. I have also heard that peanuts feed yeast, although that's one of those things I don't want to believe, LOL.

Carrie, I had a similar experience at a lll meeting on Wed -- there was a new mom with a baby that was having painful poops and had a major skin rash, and I just wanted to tell her to do SCD, but I didn't want to scare her.

Patty, I've heard different things about things getting worse first with homeopathy -- some say it's true, others not. I had a link that explained why it wasn't true, but can't find it.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Old 04-15-2006, 01:27 AM

Gale Force--not sure if you're still on here, but I've been reading MT's Nutrition and Immunology 101 thread, and you mentioned reading that sprouting wheat only neutralized 40% of the phytic acid...do you have a link for that? I've been (prior to SCD anyway) sprouting, dehydrating, and then grinding my wheat instead of soaking it, but if that isn't getting rid of the phytates I'll have to do something else.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

sigh. so i was all proud of myself for stopping eggs (no cheesecake either)--and the girls get a weird virus. so i have no idea the effect of eggs, am too worried to reintroduce them yet (i don't think we're on solid ground yet, so to speak), and dh thinks i'm starving the girls. which i probably am. they're eating almost nothing and neither am i.

he says this diet is too stressful, tho he says he supports it. he's eating worse because i can't make two or the meals at a time. wah wah wah!

i am so freaking frustrated! i didn't think we were that bad off, but i have yet to see a normal poop from them. i don't know what to think about myself. i have the slightest gas still. i'm trying really hard not to give up. i can't stay stalled here with only bananas and zucchini in addition to beef and chicken and some fish. gah--gotta go!
Old 04-15-2006, 06:16 PM

nicolena-- This is a great diet for losing weight, huh! Have you tried introducing applesauce or carrots? I know the intro diet on pecanbread.com includes carrots, so they must be pretty easy to tolerate. IMO it'd be better to add a few more of the easier tolerated foods than to get too discouraged or hungry and give up. I started (after the day of intro diet) w/applesauce and zucchini, and being able to eat the applesauce really helped a lot--and I would think applesauce would be a pretty kid friendly food, too. Have you made any stock? I've been eating beef stock w/carrots and chicken in it quite a bit, and it's really good, filling, and nourishing. I also cook my eggs w/coconut oil for extra fat, and leave some of the fat in my beef stock.

I'm actually pretty lucky on the DH department--he is gone for work for 5 weeks, so I only have to worry about me for now. Which is probably a good thing as he isn't really on-board with the whole diet thing--he thinks I should just eliminate dairy.

Can someone look at what I've been eating and tell me if I'm adding things to fast? I'm sort of trying to balance feeling halfway functional with going slow. Plus it's hard to tell how I'm doing since my only digestive symptom is gas, which has improved quite a bit but is still there.

Tuesday: intro diet (hamburger patties, chicken stock w/chicken & carrots, fried eggs)
Wednesday & Thursday: same thing as Tuesday plus applesauce, zucchini, and a little bit of almond butter for extra calories
Friday: same as Wed/Thur plus a salmon patty, oh did have pecan butter instead of almond butter
Saturday: added banana and avocado (they finally got ripe!)

I may add pearsauce, too, but I'm thinking I have enough variety/calories with what I have now to not add anything else for a while. I may even try to cut out the nut butter for a while if I can.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:09 AM

Jane, sending you a big for you and your ds. At least you know what the bug is now, but too bad the docs aren't helping out any.

re: no cloven hoof animals -- wouldn't that eliminate cows, sheep, goats, deer, and leave only poultry and horses? That seems awfully restrictive!

cademyn, that looks good to me, but I went way too fast, not knowing about adding in one or two at a time.

Here's what I ate today:
breakfast: cashew butter/banana/blueberry/egg pancakes with butter, water
lunch: stir fried broccoli, red bell pepper, carrots, kale, and chicken, water, cookie made with ground pecans, coconut, eggs, butter, raisins, and winter squash (just took the pumpkin cookie recipe from BTVC and swapped the pumpkin for cooked winter squash, and added shredded coconut)
dinner: split pea soup, rattatoille (made with eggplant, zucchini, onion, garlic, tomatoes, red and green bell pepper, and thyme, bay leaf and basil), sauteed chard with lemon, salad with an olive oil/lemon vinaigrette. Dessert was plain homemade goat milk yogurt. Note: ds ate only chicken, no veggies. And he snacked all day on little boxes of raisins dh bought him. Argh!
snack: goat cheddar, one bite chicken, spoonful of peanut butter.

Lately I've been craving movie popcorn and oatmeal. What does that indicate? Lack of starch??

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Old 04-16-2006, 12:31 PM

No. A cloven hoof is when the hoof is split-like a boar or pig. Cows, sheep and goats do not have a cloven hoof.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:15 PM

Four legged animals are supposed to have a split hoof and chew the cud to be edible. Cows, sheep, and goats are edible because they have/do both, but pigs are not because they don't chew the cud, although they do have a split hoof. Rabbits chew the cud but don't have a split hoof so they are not edible.

User Tag List