Healing the Gut Tribe.......April - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#331 of 522 Old 04-18-2006, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does my new siggy *supermod* smilie mean I'm a supermodel or a supermom? Either way, it's new and different and I think I'll keep it for a while.

Hey, Patty, where have you been?
#332 of 522 Old 04-18-2006, 06:18 PM

caedmyn, ds has almost always had a nasty reaction to almonds, and I think it was because I had so much almond butter when I was pg. Leaky gut? Non-local non-organic almonds? I don't know. They give him the runs now, they used to give him constipation with major burn-like diaper rash.

Annikate, you could do the spit test -- let me know how it turns out -- and even your dd, if she wants to and knows how to spit, even just a little. Enzymes and antifungals help, as does cutting out molds and sweets, but then I haven't defeted my yeast yet.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#333 of 522 Old 04-18-2006, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000
Anyone else doing glucosamine? Any recs for what the product name/brand is?
Both glucosamine and chrondroitin are concentrated in the cartilage of bones...so Nourishing Traditions suggests eating the rich bits around chicken leg bones for example.
#334 of 522 Old 04-18-2006, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000
Anyone else doing glucosamine? Any recs for what the product name/brand is?
Both glucosamine and chrondroitin are concentrated in the cartilage of bones...so Nourishing Traditions suggests eating the rich bits around chicken leg bones for example.
#335 of 522 Old 04-18-2006, 08:11 PM

Also Shanna, for joint health (do you have RA?)

The Wulzen factor in raw dairy: http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/skinny.html
#336 of 522 Old 04-18-2006, 08:29 PM

Caedmyn,

RE: cooked food and enzyme content.

Cooking fruits and veggies are to break down the cellular walls, so that the simple sugars inside can be digested more easily. Cellulases in digestive enzyme capsules also do this, there are no cellulase enzymes in raw foods.

I think *some* raw foods are better. You know I'm a huge raw dairy person, as it contains lipase and other enzymes. Raw proteins are so easy to digest too. Avocado too has a large enzyme load. But raw nuts are hard on the gut and most raw vegetables and fruits (ex. ripe banana) doesn't have enough enzyme content to help you out very much.
#337 of 522 Old 04-18-2006, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
Sally Fallon in NT even mentions having reservations about shellfish and pork.
I don't remember a shellfish warning?

Pork yes, as the proteins have been shown by research to cause blood changes and are implicated in cancer development. Nourishing Traditions doesn't have any pork recipes. Lard (grassfed) aka pork fat, is recommended for the high vitamin D content.

Shellfish contains a lot of vitamin D and omega 3's, there was a good article about Maine shrimp a few months ago in the WAPF newsletter.
#338 of 522 Old 04-18-2006, 08:36 PM

Re: carrots

A long time ago I posted a rant about my DS and carrots. He couldn't digest them and I didn't understand why they were on the Intro Diet.

Well I've since found that braising carrots in bone broth works! He digests them!

The gelatin in bone broths attract digestive juices b/c it is hydrophilic. I boil the carrots until soft in chicken bone broth with cover on, then remove cover and rapidly concentrate the broth until a thick sauce develops. Yummy.
#339 of 522 Old 04-18-2006, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I joined the pecanbread yahoo group and posted an intro there asking for any suggestions...pretty much everyone who posted said I shouldn't eat nuts at all while breast feeding because of the allergen potentional...what does everyone think of this? I gotta wonder how native people survived eating all these allergenic foods and didn't have any problems...obviously our environment is a little different today, but there's got to be more to it than "just avoid allergens for the first 3 years of your child's life", KWIM? Is the whole leaky gut thing the answer?
Yes, it's only if your gut leaks that your child would be exposed to any nut proteins while bf'ing. I'm very surprised you got that answer at Pecanbread, they should know better!

It's not "allergenic foods" that are the problem, it's that our digestive system can't handle them!!
#340 of 522 Old 04-18-2006, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth
behavioral signs for yeast are pretty broad -- mood swings, trouble sleeping, anxiety, acting drunk when eating sugar, high needs.

ff, we tried enzymes, but at least with the high protease one, ds gets way too hyper, even if he just gets it through my breast milk. My homeopath never really talked about yeast -- she just wanted to look for a constitutional remedy.
See yeast/bacterial link in the Cheat Sheet for symptoms descriptions.

Jen, I wonder if your problems are bacterial too, there's an interesting article regarding hyperness and proteases at Enzymestuff.com but I need to read it for the 49th time again to understand it...
http://www.enzymestuff.com/serotonin.htm
#341 of 522 Old 04-18-2006, 08:49 PM

I have such a buzz right now... finishing Easter wine... La Crema chardonnay

Wine is SCD legal!!

I'm so psyched I can finally drink alcohol without staying awake with insomnia for half the night.
#342 of 522 Old 04-18-2006, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siana
I've taken a long break from this thread. It seems I don't have time or energy anymore. Anyway, I've been on SCD for almost a month, and I feel terrible. No chronic diarreha, very much reduced flatulence (flatulence everyday I start something new, then I take it out, try it a few days later and am fine) both great pluses, BUT I still have terrible brain fog, and feel generally yucky most days. I've been eating lots lately, all according to my appetite. I feel slugish. Perhaps today is especially bad because I was woken up early by the yelling of my 3-year-old who had a nightmare (something about how I didn't want her to see a video!)

Something is telling me this is a greater issue than die off. I suspect dairy. For three years I barely consumed much dairy (only cultured though), and now I'm downing it like crazy. Could this be a possible 'hidden' milk allergy? I'm going to the Naturopath (for the first time) in a week (finally!). I'll see what she says, and if she doesn't suggest it, I want testing done for this. Any thoughts?
I would think it's not necessarily what you need to "take away" from your diet as what you might need to "add".

You, along with most of us, are probably in a very deficient nutrient state, esp. minerals and B vitamins. For me I was "foggy-headed" this way for a while until I started healing and supplementing.
#343 of 522 Old 04-18-2006, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn
My DH and I also don't tolerate lactose in pasteurized milk but neither of us have any issues with raw milk. Really! I think it must have something to do with the milk proteins being changed in pasturization.
It's because raw milk contains the enzyme lactase to digest lactose, the milk sugar. Also probiotics.
#344 of 522 Old 04-18-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
I have such a buzz right now... finishing Easter wine... La Crema chardonnay

Wine is SCD legal!!

I'm so psyched I can finally drink alcohol without staying awake with insomnia for half the night.
You are so funny! And you can still post coherently.
#345 of 522 Old 04-18-2006, 10:36 PM

JaneS--so should I try to avoid nuts for a while? I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make at this point anyway...I ate a ton of peanut butter (probably easily a pound a week) while pregnant, and the first couple months of DD's life. I guess I could try to avoid it if it's necessary...but first I'm going to go make myself a pecan butter pancake so I at least get one treat in if I have to give the stuff up!

Also, does anybody know if any of the candida-fighting products out there really work (things like NOW's candida fighter or the Garden of Life Fungal Defense)?
#346 of 522 Old 04-18-2006, 11:32 PM

Caedmyn~I'd be happy to help, but I need to know specifics about your situation. PM me.
#347 of 522 Old 04-19-2006, 12:20 AM

Hi ladies, I hope this is the right forum for me to come to - from what I have read, it sure seems that way.

I (dh too) have systemic yeast that I have passed on to my children (ds, almost 8 and dd, almost 4). My biggest worry is dd. She has severe eczema, now she appears to have a vaginal yeast infection as of today and here's the kicker: she has severe food aversions (due to sensory issues) so she will not touch any of the permissable foods on the lists. I have read the stickies on diet and candida, but I don't know what she will eat if I cut all the offending things out of her diet. With her food aversions, she would pretty much live off of breastmilk

Right now she eats: fresh, dried and frozen fruit (about 6 apples a day!), Ezekiel sprouted grain bread with low sugar spread, roasted almond butter, corn chips, tortillas, soy milk, homemade granola, raw carrots (occasionally), Tofurkey veggie deli slices (rarely), tofu (rarely), soy yogurt or greek-style dairy yogurt (with a bit of honey stirred in), pistachio and walnuts and anything that resembles dessert

I supplement her with Nordic Natural's Berry Keen, Juice Plus Veggie gummies, Floradix iron and herbs, Floradix children's multivitamin and Nature's Plus chewable calcium tablets.

I know my doctor will not take the yeast thing seriously. I have had her evaluated by an OT who has diagnosed some minor oral sensitivities, but even the suggestions for desensitizing her we have been given to try at home has made little, if any impact. We are working through a book on food aversions and how to get your child to eat, but it is painfully slow and her 4th birthday is coming up with no significant progress to report.

I am feeling extremely discouraged and at a loss here. I hope someone can help. Dh and I feel really exhausted from lack of sleep due to her eczema and mentally overwrought from living with dd's eating challenges (and behavioral challenges in my ds - no doubt also dietary related.)
#348 of 522 Old 04-19-2006, 02:48 PM

I have been debating whether or not to post here in the heal the gut tribe. I know you mamas are probably very far into this, and I'm a newbie asking questions, but I have decided to give my questions a try. First, from doing google searches I am suspecting that I might have a problem with my gut. I'm not sure if it is candida or just an imbalance of the good and bad bacteria. Or if what I mentioned above is the same thing??? I don't have the money to go see a naturopath to get it diagnosed if it is the case (candida) so I'm kinda on my own. First, if I am suspecting these things, is it ok for me to just go get a candida cleansing kit? Will this get rid of the problem if that is what I have? Which one is good and how will I know when all the candida out of my body. Also, if a imbalance of good/bad bacteria is the problem will taking probiotics fix the problem? Should I take the 2 products at the same time? I'm seeing what I think is a patch of ezema, dandruff, fungal skin infection, and some kind of rash near my belly button. Some of these things have been going on longer then others. But I never thought that it could be some problem of my gut. Can someone help? TIA!
#349 of 522 Old 04-19-2006, 03:37 PM

Michelle--I'm definitely not an expert, but I'll try to help a bit. Some of the things your DD will eat are actually legal (fruit, almond butter, and yogurt). Have you looked at www.pecanbread.com? You may not be able to get her to do the intro diet, but you might be able to gradually transition her into eating all SCD legal foods and then at a later date do the intro diet for a few days. Will she eat pancakes? There are several recipes at pecanbread.com that mix various ingredients (chicken, veggies, etc) into pancakes. There are also some muffin and other dessert recipes. Will she eat applesauce? Can she do cow or goat yogurt?

I guess my best suggestion would be to try various legal dessert/muffin recipes, and when you figure out which of those she'll eat, then you can try to eliminate the illegal foods.

I know some of the other ladies here have a lot more experience with feeding picky kids, so hopefully someone else will be able to help you more.
#350 of 522 Old 04-19-2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:
GaleForce--I used wheat for all sorts of baking--bread (non sourdough), desserts, pie crusts, etc.
Sprouting and drying is so much work but I am not a baker, so I don't have a lot of ideas. What I do when I do bake bread and other things is try to turn it into a sourdough. I made ginger bread for Easter and mixed the batter together, added a starter, and let it sit by the wood stove for 5 hours before I baked it. I added baking soda after it stewed. I haven't made a pie crust in ages. Unless they are a big part of your diet, I don't think I'd worry about it.

The other thing is that you'll still get some minerals even when you don't prepare it properly, you'll just maximize them if you prepare them to break down the phytates.

In terms of germination, I've seen some studies where they broke down the phytates pretty effectively, but others where they haven't. It must be an issue of germination conditions like temperature and such but I haven't seen explicit instructions on what conditions are best. If I find them I'll let you know.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#351 of 522 Old 04-20-2006, 02:31 AM

(((hugs))) michelle, my ds is a terribly peaky eater, with food aversions, as well, so I know how you feel. I actually don't have a whole lot of good advice, other than to second everything Amanda says about trying what's legal, especially the muffins and pancakes. As far as the supplements, go to www.pecanbread.com for a list of SCD legal supplements. Also, will she swallow a pill? Enzymes might help her -- see www.enzymestuff.com for more info about them.

cynthia, those kits mostly contain lots of herbs you can buy separately for cheaper. I'm currently just using garlic and enzymes for my yeasties, but can't get ds to try them. Also, if you don't also fix your diet, the yeasties just come back stronger, as I've learned the hard way. Take a look at the Candida FAQ link on Jane's cheat sheet (see 1st post in this thread).

Jane, I think you may be right about bacteria + yeast -- what do I do that will kill both in both of us? Oh, and I definitely will try the banana thing -- and maybe yogurt, but lately ds has been refusing it.

#352 of 522 Old 04-20-2006, 10:59 AM

Michelle, we had the same issues. Dd did live off of bm. There is a section on www.pecanbread.com titles somthing like "what if my child still won't eat?" I found that after taking away all the probelm foods she did venture forth and eat legal things. She had some deficiencies that made it so that she didn't recognize hunger. She'd be cranky, but didn't understand that food would help. She also had some sensory issues. I just made a bunch of things for the first couple days and followed her around with food. Every so often I would sneak a bite in. AFter a couple of weeks she was willing to feed herself and as the deficiencies cleared up (not there yet!) she's starting to recognize hunger on her own. It's been almost a year, but we're getting there!
My advice would be to try different things, but keep it super simple. Picky eater don't like funky recipes. Let her go at her own pace and TRUST HER. SHe's not eating much because she is having a problem. It is up to you as mommy to fix it, but she does have some built in survival mechanisms that should be respected. That doesn't mean giving in, but it does mean getting pretty analytical to decipher her code. Good Luck! And welcome. Just know that you aren't the first to walk that road, It's very frustrating, but when you get answers it's also very rewarding!
#353 of 522 Old 04-20-2006, 11:59 AM

ff, your post about your dd brought tears to my eyes, you are such a great mama for persevering. My ds also is a picky eater, so I can relate

Someone was asking how to tell if you have adrenal problems. Just found that there is a test, but you need a blood pressure cuff: Lying down and resting for five minutes, taking your blood pressure, then standing immediately and taking the blood pressure again can assess low adrenal function. The higher number of the blood pressure measurement should read at least ten points greater upon standing, than it was when lying down. If your blood pressure is not 10 points greater or if it goes down when you stand up, reduced adrenal function is suspect. The degree of hypoadrenalism is often proportionate to the degree the blood pressure drops. See: http://www.nspforum.com/faq/index.cgi?read=901 (it's about B vitamins, but they talk about how b deficiencies are hard on the adrenals)

Does anyone know of an SCD-legal, whole foods based B complex?

#354 of 522 Old 04-20-2006, 02:10 PM

well, i took the spit test. right away there were little strings hanging down. yuck! ok, so i guess i do have a yeast problem. i just got some enzymes, so i'm going to start taking those. now to find a way to take raw garlic... ugh. i like garlic, but not raw. do garlic caps work as well? or maybe i'll try that oil of oregano...

after 3 weeks on a low carb, nt diet with kefir everyday i no longer seem to be having gas and indigestion. and -TMI HERE- my bm's no longer contain undigested food particles. my ebf ds now has nice yellow bf poop instead of greenish yellow allergy poop. yay!

so i'm hoping this means my leaky gut/malabsorption issues are clearing up, but obviously i still have a yeast problem so time to address that more directly...

sigh... when will i be *healthy* ???

R

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#355 of 522 Old 04-20-2006, 02:45 PM

vaquitita--I chop up raw garlic really fine and put it in empty capsules--just don't let them sit very long as the garlic eats away at the capsules. Also, you can't take oil of oregano while nursing (I found that out after I bought a bottle of it).
#356 of 522 Old 04-20-2006, 03:33 PM

Quote:
vaquitita--I chop up raw garlic really fine and put it in empty capsules--just don't let them sit very long as the garlic eats away at the capsules. Also, you can't take oil of oregano while nursing (I found that out after I bought a bottle of it).
how much garlic do you take a day? is one clove enough?

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#357 of 522 Old 04-20-2006, 03:35 PM

I just started taking it...I would think 1 clove would be good but I'm just guessing.
#358 of 522 Old 04-20-2006, 04:49 PM

hope it's okay if i just jump in here. we're starting the scd soon. we've been feingold for over 3 yrs, gfcfsf with a NT slant since last july and now it's definitely time to get serious on healing some guts!

I have a few questions about the finer points of the scd.

Nutritional yeast~is it okay? i looked on the pecanbread listserve and it seems like pple have just arbitrarily lumped it in with active yeast and have said it's illegal based on yeast being illegal. there's no 'bad' yeast in nutritional yeast, i just dont know what kind of sugars it contains if any. we rely really heavily on nutritional yeast as a cheeze sub and for our b-vites. i dont really want to give it up.

Stevia~it's listed as illegal. gottshall talks about it in terms of being a steroid, yet she says: Stevia may be used in minuscule amounts in supplements. - Elaine 10/11/04 Generally, stevia is used in miniscule amounts in the first place, so can i use it? i try to keep the carbs down in the first place, because sugars suppress the immune system. stevia is such a useful tool, i really want to keep using it.

and why on earth are legumes like lentils and peanuts legal? they're sooo starchy! the book i have just says that they dont seem to cause any problems so they're okay? i dont get it. arent there polysaccharides in legumes?

heartbeat.gif

#359 of 522 Old 04-20-2006, 09:27 PM

Lots more new people here!
Moss, I'm wondering the same thing about the lentils. JaneS or firefaery will know.

I'm here to post about my SUPER AWESOME DELICIOUS yogurt that I made with my new source of raw milk. I dunno what I was getting before but this milk looks, smells and tastes good. It's a darker yellow than my other source and the yogurt is so good I can eat it without adding any fruit or honey. It's still tart, but not as tart as the old stuff. Anyone know why? Does this mean the yogurt itself isn't as good if it's not as tart?

I got cream and butter too. I'm making the yogurt-ized cream right now and can't wait to try it!
#360 of 522 Old 04-20-2006, 10:46 PM

Elaine says that some starches can be tolerated...they are all in the legume family. Dried beans, lentils and split peas. The ones that you can have must be soaked, and the soak water discarded because it will contain undigestible sugars. You have to wait until the third month or so of the diet to introduce them-funny though-I never see her lump peanuts in with legumes...odd.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page