Mothering Forum banner

Healing the Gut Tribe.......April

25K views 521 replies 44 participants last post by  nicolena 
#1 ·
First--check out this link to JaneS's superawesome incredible fabulous HEALING THE GUT CHEAT SHEET!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...3&postcount=51

Hi guys! Happy extra daylight!

I need some help developing fanatical adherance! We were making progress, but I was still giving the girls sippies with 24 hr yogurt and banana. Now I have all the stuff for the diet (except dccc--gah--my hfs can't get it yet! anybody know a boston or providence source?). Tomorrow it begins for all three of us with no cheating. (I thought I could skip the gelatin and juice. Now I'm looking forward to juice!) I already lost two pounds from the first version, tho, and it really makes me crazy being on the diet....

Who else is doing this with 15 month olds? And themselves at the same time? Perhaps a roll call of sorts is in order? I'm 33, didn't think I had anything too bad going on, but now I think there's majot healing to be done. I;ve added glutamine for myself (can I give 1/4 to the girls?); I take clo; nutrient 950 pure encapsulation multis; a calc/mag/zinc supplement; and Bs (all sugar/starch/yeast free). I need a good C to replace my emergin'c. I'm breastfeeding twins 15.5 m.o. girls, one whose diarrhea is worse than the other's (she's had more trouble gaining weight). They've been better since we switched to NT, but eventhe carrots are showing up in their bms (of course they were mashed rather than pureed--everything thinks I'm such a fanatic, but i need help with the adherance, people!) So tomorrow I'm having my sister come by to help me manage our moods. Wish us luck. We're going to NY Thurdsday and staying with a sympathetic friend...who thinks I'm being a bit fanatical ("all babies' poops are weird").

Question: It says the only specific thing to introduce at a certain time is the yogurt. I feel like a bad reader because I can not for the life of me figure out WHEN to intro it. Please enlighten me!

[Here's more info than you want to know about us:
i guess i should add to my intro. i've had minor yeast issues, not enough to ever go to a doctor. but i was on antideprressants and antianxiety meds for years, then i added too much red wine, eventually had a seizure, got off all meds (and stopped wanting the wine!), and three months later got pregnant with in vitro after 5 years of various other fertility treatments. sigh. then i tried to lose weight while nursing--never going more than the "allowable" .5 to 1 lb a week, but using splenda and eating dead food. when i started the girls on solids (it's solids or formula, said the extinct pedi), i realized that i was giving them everything organic except my milk. so first i got pretty close to organic myself. then i read about NT, and i've been steadily getting healthier the past few months thru NT.

the girls came out tiny, and i had them vaxxed the first year before i knew better
. they had formula and bm the first 9,5 weeks, but once i got them all on the boob, they stopped gaining. and they were colciky. i was eating horrible packaged stuff because ihad no time to cook. they never slept without lying on me--still barely do. i gave them zantac for about a month for the colic--maybe less time; it did nothing. i gave them tylenol for imaginary teething. i had three fillings done while breastfeeding--gah! we started solids at 6 months and they gained weight, but i don't think they've ever had a solid poop until just recently. i was told this was normal because i was breastfeeding. i am currently desperately in search of a book with pictures of normal poop. is there a doctor of scatology here?
Thanks guys!

See less See more
#277 ·
Jane, i just tossed the box, when i get the new shipment next wk i'll post the 8 strains. i know three of them are bifidus. our gi is kinda clueless on it but has agreed it won't hurt. lol, one of his suggestions was to add rice cereal to the neocate. RIGHT - idiot. i'm going to see a new one at georgetown in early may. i could prob fight ins to pay for it since it is a medical food, but haven't bothered yet.

and thanks for the wap links on goat formula. i def. want to try goat milk scd yogurt on the little guy at some point.

the strange thing is, I have plenty of milk, had no supply issues, and no gut issues at all. the only thing i've discovered in all this is that legumes can give me some discomfort if i forget my digestive enzymes. i do feel some die off though from the yogurt and the enzymes. less so now that i've been on them for a few months.

lol, i was at lll tonight and it was all i could do to not scare a poor mom to death that was asking about food intolerances in her baby.

angela, good luck getting rid of dairy!! you will see a huge difference in your baby..we did too before the yeast from hell took over.

oh, and progurt - argh - i can't believe that it isn't as potent as they say. blech. i'll try it with 1 tsp and see how that does. i want to use the progurt with goat milk for ds, for me i just use yogourmet.

#278 ·
jane~I was just coming back to post what Amanda already said. The person running the metametrix test for me has been in contact with the lab several times just for me to get info. THey seem to take alot of time dissecting results. I know someone else just got testing done and the results were confusing-the lab spent a good amount of time figuring it out as well. I would think they could guide your doc and give some help.

Our homeopath is an MD as well-though he doesn't practice allopathically anymore. It's invaluable to me because he can read and order all the tests, but really doesn't think that "modern" medicine has anything to offer. I love homeopathy (incidentally, mostly because I have an amazing practitioner) but it does have it's limitations. You really are on the right track, mama. I'm constantly amazed by your perserverence.

#279 ·
So...could I try raw garlic to kill yeast? I know I'm not at the raw stage yet, but would it be worth a try?

Also, is it a bit counter-productive to be eating all this well cooked food that doesn't have enzymes, since I'm not taking any enzymes yet? Is my body still going to be able to digest it?

#281 ·
babygrant, I'm sorry Brody is so miserable.
It does seem like wheat is in everything. It gets easier to avoid, though. When I first started avoiding it, I would go to the health food store and buy rice pasta, wheat free breads, and rice crackers. Then for a long time, I just ate meat, veggies, fruits and other grains like rice and oats.
There are some good cookbooks out there. One I like is the Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook by Cybele Pascal. Plus many of the scd recipes would work for you.
Good luck.

#282 ·
It does seem like wheat is in everything. It gets easier to avoid, though. When I first started avoiding it, I would go to the health food store and buy rice pasta, wheat free breads, and rice crackers. Then for a long time, I just ate meat, veggies, fruits and other grains like rice and oats.
There are some good cookbooks out there. One I like is the Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook by Cybele Pascal. Plus many of the scd recipes would work for you.
Good luck.

#283 ·
Good luck.

#285 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
It is legal...if you choose to go that route.
FF, this sounds like a warning. Something about shellfish that's not good?
We're going on vacation soon to a small island and I'm trying to line up all the things I can eat before I go. Not to mention decide what foods I can pack and bring (if any). Definitely trying to smuggle in some almond flour though!

#287 ·
Shellfish, pork, and some other things are never legal on the makers diet. JR says that they are not kosher because they are hard to digest. I think that is what she is talking about. FWIW I have heard that about pork before from a source that wasn't concerned about kosher/not kosher.

#288 ·
I'm thinking the white coating on my tongue isn't thrush after all--it was almost gone yesterday evening, and then I looked at my tongue again right before I went to bed and the white coating was back...so I figured it must have been something I ate. The only things I had in the evening were applesauce and an almond butter pancake, so I wonder if somehow the almonds are causing it (they're not organic). Did someone say something earlier in this thread or maybe in last month's thread about having problems with almonds?

Sally Fallon in NT even mentions having reservations about shellfish and pork.

I don't understand why peanut butter w/no additives is legal but shelled peanuts are not...I understand that shelled peanuts may have starch added, but what's to say the peanuts used in making the peanut butter don't have starch added? Or has someone researched this and found out that the PB doesn't have starch added?

#289 ·
Pork isn't eaten or recommended in the maker's diet because it is the best medium for cancer growth-also there's the whole cloven hoof thing-we aren't supposed to eat anything with a cloven hoof. As far as shellfish-it's a contamination issue. I don't think they are difficult to digest (at least I haven't read that) it's that they are scavengers and ingest all the "crap" in the ocean. You, therefore, ingest all of toxins they have accumulated. Shrimp is possibly the exception because contrary to popular belief-they are not bottom dwellers. They are mobile and if you get them wild caught in theory the toxins are mostly in the shell which you remove. HTH. Biblically-you don't eat anything without an excretory system-at least I think that's how it's worded.

#294 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by caedmyn
I don't understand why peanut butter w/no additives is legal but shelled peanuts are not...I understand that shelled peanuts may have starch added, but what's to say the peanuts used in making the peanut butter don't have starch added? Or has someone researched this and found out that the PB doesn't have starch added?
I wonder about that, too. I mean, at the places I buy the fresh ground, it's pretty obvious the peanuts have something on them, they look kind of powdery. I have also heard that peanuts feed yeast, although that's one of those things I don't want to believe, LOL.

Carrie, I had a similar experience at a lll meeting on Wed -- there was a new mom with a baby that was having painful poops and had a major skin rash, and I just wanted to tell her to do SCD, but I didn't want to scare her.

Patty, I've heard different things about things getting worse first with homeopathy -- some say it's true, others not. I had a link that explained why it wasn't true, but can't find it.

#295 ·
Gale Force--not sure if you're still on here, but I've been reading MT's Nutrition and Immunology 101 thread, and you mentioned reading that sprouting wheat only neutralized 40% of the phytic acid...do you have a link for that? I've been (prior to SCD anyway) sprouting, dehydrating, and then grinding my wheat instead of soaking it, but if that isn't getting rid of the phytates I'll have to do something else.

#296 ·
sigh. so i was all proud of myself for stopping eggs (no cheesecake either)--and the girls get a weird virus. so i have no idea the effect of eggs, am too worried to reintroduce them yet (i don't think we're on solid ground yet, so to speak), and dh thinks i'm starving the girls. which i probably am. they're eating almost nothing and neither am i.

he says this diet is too stressful, tho he says he supports it. he's eating worse because i can't make two or the meals at a time. wah wah wah!

i am so freaking frustrated! i didn't think we were that bad off, but i have yet to see a normal poop from them. i don't know what to think about myself. i have the slightest gas still. i'm trying really hard not to give up. i can't stay stalled here with only bananas and zucchini in addition to beef and chicken and some fish. gah--gotta go!

#297 ·
nicolena--
This is a great diet for losing weight, huh! Have you tried introducing applesauce or carrots? I know the intro diet on pecanbread.com includes carrots, so they must be pretty easy to tolerate. IMO it'd be better to add a few more of the easier tolerated foods than to get too discouraged or hungry and give up. I started (after the day of intro diet) w/applesauce and zucchini, and being able to eat the applesauce really helped a lot--and I would think applesauce would be a pretty kid friendly food, too. Have you made any stock? I've been eating beef stock w/carrots and chicken in it quite a bit, and it's really good, filling, and nourishing. I also cook my eggs w/coconut oil for extra fat, and leave some of the fat in my beef stock.

I'm actually pretty lucky on the DH department--he is gone for work for 5 weeks, so I only have to worry about me for now. Which is probably a good thing as he isn't really on-board with the whole diet thing--he thinks I should just eliminate dairy.

Can someone look at what I've been eating and tell me if I'm adding things to fast? I'm sort of trying to balance feeling halfway functional with going slow. Plus it's hard to tell how I'm doing since my only digestive symptom is gas, which has improved quite a bit but is still there.

Tuesday: intro diet (hamburger patties, chicken stock w/chicken & carrots, fried eggs)
Wednesday & Thursday: same thing as Tuesday plus applesauce, zucchini, and a little bit of almond butter for extra calories
Friday: same as Wed/Thur plus a salmon patty, oh did have pecan butter instead of almond butter
Saturday: added banana and avocado (they finally got ripe!)

I may add pearsauce, too, but I'm thinking I have enough variety/calories with what I have now to not add anything else for a while. I may even try to cut out the nut butter for a while if I can.

#298 ·
Jane, sending you a big
for you and your ds. At least you know what the bug is now, but too bad the docs aren't helping out any.

re: no cloven hoof animals -- wouldn't that eliminate cows, sheep, goats, deer, and leave only poultry and horses? That seems awfully restrictive!

cademyn, that looks good to me, but I went way too fast, not knowing about adding in one or two at a time.

Here's what I ate today:
breakfast: cashew butter/banana/blueberry/egg pancakes with butter, water
lunch: stir fried broccoli, red bell pepper, carrots, kale, and chicken, water, cookie made with ground pecans, coconut, eggs, butter, raisins, and winter squash (just took the pumpkin cookie recipe from BTVC and swapped the pumpkin for cooked winter squash, and added shredded coconut)
dinner: split pea soup, rattatoille (made with eggplant, zucchini, onion, garlic, tomatoes, red and green bell pepper, and thyme, bay leaf and basil), sauteed chard with lemon, salad with an olive oil/lemon vinaigrette. Dessert was plain homemade goat milk yogurt. Note: ds ate only chicken, no veggies. And he snacked all day on little boxes of raisins dh bought him. Argh!
snack: goat cheddar, one bite chicken, spoonful of peanut butter.

Lately I've been craving movie popcorn and oatmeal. What does that indicate? Lack of starch??

#300 ·
Four legged animals are supposed to have a split hoof and chew the cud to be edible. Cows, sheep, and goats are edible because they have/do both, but pigs are not because they don't chew the cud, although they do have a split hoof. Rabbits chew the cud but don't have a split hoof so they are not edible.

#301 ·
I just had to tell you - I scrapped our Eurocuisine yogurt maker and used a 2 qt glass jar to make the 24 hour yogurt and it came out PERFECTLY!!! It is SO yummy.

One question: can I use the last cup of this yogurt to make the next batch? Or do I need to use the yogourmet starter every time?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.