Mothering Forum banner

Healing the Gut Tribe.......April

25K views 521 replies 44 participants last post by  nicolena 
#1 ·
First--check out this link to JaneS's superawesome incredible fabulous HEALING THE GUT CHEAT SHEET!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...3&postcount=51

Hi guys! Happy extra daylight!

I need some help developing fanatical adherance! We were making progress, but I was still giving the girls sippies with 24 hr yogurt and banana. Now I have all the stuff for the diet (except dccc--gah--my hfs can't get it yet! anybody know a boston or providence source?). Tomorrow it begins for all three of us with no cheating. (I thought I could skip the gelatin and juice. Now I'm looking forward to juice!) I already lost two pounds from the first version, tho, and it really makes me crazy being on the diet....

Who else is doing this with 15 month olds? And themselves at the same time? Perhaps a roll call of sorts is in order? I'm 33, didn't think I had anything too bad going on, but now I think there's majot healing to be done. I;ve added glutamine for myself (can I give 1/4 to the girls?); I take clo; nutrient 950 pure encapsulation multis; a calc/mag/zinc supplement; and Bs (all sugar/starch/yeast free). I need a good C to replace my emergin'c. I'm breastfeeding twins 15.5 m.o. girls, one whose diarrhea is worse than the other's (she's had more trouble gaining weight). They've been better since we switched to NT, but eventhe carrots are showing up in their bms (of course they were mashed rather than pureed--everything thinks I'm such a fanatic, but i need help with the adherance, people!) So tomorrow I'm having my sister come by to help me manage our moods. Wish us luck. We're going to NY Thurdsday and staying with a sympathetic friend...who thinks I'm being a bit fanatical ("all babies' poops are weird").

Question: It says the only specific thing to introduce at a certain time is the yogurt. I feel like a bad reader because I can not for the life of me figure out WHEN to intro it. Please enlighten me!

[Here's more info than you want to know about us:
i guess i should add to my intro. i've had minor yeast issues, not enough to ever go to a doctor. but i was on antideprressants and antianxiety meds for years, then i added too much red wine, eventually had a seizure, got off all meds (and stopped wanting the wine!), and three months later got pregnant with in vitro after 5 years of various other fertility treatments. sigh. then i tried to lose weight while nursing--never going more than the "allowable" .5 to 1 lb a week, but using splenda and eating dead food. when i started the girls on solids (it's solids or formula, said the extinct pedi), i realized that i was giving them everything organic except my milk. so first i got pretty close to organic myself. then i read about NT, and i've been steadily getting healthier the past few months thru NT.

the girls came out tiny, and i had them vaxxed the first year before i knew better
. they had formula and bm the first 9,5 weeks, but once i got them all on the boob, they stopped gaining. and they were colciky. i was eating horrible packaged stuff because ihad no time to cook. they never slept without lying on me--still barely do. i gave them zantac for about a month for the colic--maybe less time; it did nothing. i gave them tylenol for imaginary teething. i had three fillings done while breastfeeding--gah! we started solids at 6 months and they gained weight, but i don't think they've ever had a solid poop until just recently. i was told this was normal because i was breastfeeding. i am currently desperately in search of a book with pictures of normal poop. is there a doctor of scatology here?
Thanks guys!

See less See more
#302 ·
How do I know if my bananas are ripe enough? They have lots of spots, and the edges are getting black, but they aren't all that soft.

chasmyn--I haven't tried it but you are supposed to be able to use some of the previous batch as a starter (I have made yogurt using store bought yogurt as a starter).

#307 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
chasmyn--I haven't tried it but you are supposed to be able to use some of the previous batch as a starter (I have made yogurt using store bought yogurt as a starter).
If you are doing the SCD you're not supposed to use your own batch for starter. (Don't remember who's doing SCD and who's not.)

#309 ·
I'm so glad we're on the topic or making yogurt. I have a delimma....
What would ya'll do:
We have some friends who own a dairy. I thought about asking them if I could buy some raw milk from them But don't know (yet) how they feed or if they use antibiotics rampantly.(How do you ask that nicely?)
So, if they do use the typical methods of dairy production...what type of milk would you use?
Myself and my ds have a milk lactose thing. Can't handle it. So I've always bought the Lactaid milk from the store. Can you use this at all to make yogurt?
If not, should I use regular milk from the store?
So-here are my options....
1-raw milk from dairy (not sure yet whether they are desireable cows
)
2-"Lactaid" brand milk from the store
3-regular milk from the store
What to do?
TIA-

#310 ·
I wouldn't personally use raw milk from a conventional cow. Conventional farming is why they SHOULD pasteurize IMO. But I'm definitely really fanatical about things. I guess it would ultimately depend on your feelings after seeing the animals and the facility though.
You can use regular milk from the store-making yogurt properly naturally rids it of any lactose. No need to buy lactaid!

#311 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by caedmyn
Gale Force--not sure if you're still on here, but I've been reading MT's Nutrition and Immunology 101 thread, and you mentioned reading that sprouting wheat only neutralized 40% of the phytic acid...do you have a link for that? I've been (prior to SCD anyway) sprouting, dehydrating, and then grinding my wheat instead of soaking it, but if that isn't getting rid of the phytates I'll have to do something else.
caedmyn -- what are you making with the wheat ultimately?

#312 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by zanelee
We have some friends who own a dairy. I thought about asking them if I could buy some raw milk from them But don't know (yet) how they feed or if they use antibiotics rampantly.(How do you ask that nicely?)
ITA w firefaery that it's the conditions -- the diets of the cows will affect the milk quality. The cows around here in commercial dairies don't see a blade of fresh grass.

Quote:

)
What to do?
TIA-
There are no other choices?
Maybe another food source of probiotics like vegetables? (fermented vegetables)

#314 ·
Zanalee-- Have you tried kefiring young green coconut water to start producing lactose or -ase again? I think the Body Ecology talks about that or something. You might want to check into that. Otherwise I am another one that will not use regular milk anymore. Just icks me out and I can go without if I have to, but I get raw milk so am good.

#315 ·
So Easter dinner didn't go over to well. A whole day of cheating

So did I just ruin the 2 weeks we've been on the diet? Do I have to start over? I am so kicking myself. How do you all socialize and stay 100 percent on the diet? Especially with little ones wanting what other kids are eating?

#316 ·
Quote:

I'm so glad we're on the topic or making yogurt. I have a delimma....
What would ya'll do:
So, if they do use the typical methods of dairy production...what type of milk would you use?
Myself and my ds have a milk lactose thing. Can't handle it. So I've always bought the Lactaid milk from the store. Can you use this at all to make yogurt?
)
What to do?
TIA-
I don't think it would be rude to just ask them. Let them know you want to make sure they're pasture-raised and not fed any hormones or antibiotics.

My DH and I also don't tolerate lactose in pasteurized milk but neither of us have any issues with raw milk. Really! I think it must have something to do with the milk proteins being changed in pasturization.

Also when you maske yogurt it breaks down all of the lactose so my hought is that it would be best to use whole organic milk if you don't get raw. Do the 24-hour yogurt and you won't have to worry about the lactose anyway.

#318 ·
I've taken a long break from this thread. It seems I don't have time or energy anymore. Anyway, I've been on SCD for almost a month, and I feel terrible. No chronic diarreha, very much reduced flatulence (flatulence everyday I start something new, then I take it out, try it a few days later and am fine) both great pluses, BUT I still have terrible brain fog, and feel generally yucky most days. I've been eating lots lately, all according to my appetite. I feel slugish. Perhaps today is especially bad because I was woken up early by the yelling of my 3-year-old who had a nightmare (something about how I didn't want her to see a video!)

Something is telling me this is a greater issue than die off. I suspect dairy. For three years I barely consumed much dairy (only cultured though), and now I'm downing it like crazy. Could this be a possible 'hidden' milk allergy? I'm going to the Naturopath (for the first time) in a week (finally!). I'll see what she says, and if she doesn't suggest it, I want testing done for this. Any thoughts?

#319 ·
I did the spit test for yeast, like the pps said, and it was way positive! My spit was totally cloudy, and little strands immediately started dropping down, like a jellyfish. I googled it and saw pictures like it. So, SCD alone is definitely not enough for me. I guess I need to cut out honey and fruit. At this point, I feel like everything is off limits except vegetables and yogurt. Meat and beans and cheese are acidic, fruit feeds yeast, most nuts are acidic and have mold, too, apparently. Ugh! I am so down. I feel so defeated by yeast, I just want it to go away and leave us alone. It's such a monster! I need a new homeopath.

As far as socializing and not cheating, well, we bring our own food, and really hardly socialize at all anyway. Easter we just went to a park the three of us, no Easter egg hunts or even church as we knew candy would be everywhere.

Siana, I have you tried cutting out dairy for two weeks to see if it makes any difference? Maybe just all dairy but the 24 hr yogurt?

#320 ·
Siana~hugs! Sorry you feel so bad. What are you actually eating? Are you getting enough fruits and veggies? My biggest mistake when I started was eating alot of meat-nut-fish-egg dishes and not enough vegetation. I was miserable. I had to find my balance. I would also suggest if there are any questions that you try eliminating dairy and see what happens. you should know pretty quickly if it's an issue.

And for both Pookietooth and Siana-are you doing anything specifically for yeast issues? The SCD may be enough, but it will take a good long time on it's own-even with the yogurt IMO. I did some intensive things for yeast (and I had a terrible case) along with the diet and got relief very quickly. I haven't had that happen before ever. Maybe you need to incorporate other things into the diet? Also-does your homeopath treat your yeast at all? just curious...

#321 ·
I have been majorly sticking my head in the sand about yeast. I'm pretty sure it's a problem for dd1. Me, I don't know. I've never had a yeast infection. Does that mean I don't have a yeast problem? How would I know? Should I do the spit test?

DD had recurring yeast rashes almost all last summer. It looks like she's got one today. (Red all around her vulva.) How can I check?

I know I can give her No Fenol in between meals like in a drink to combat yeast right? I really know nothing much about it. What are the behavioral signs?

#322 ·
behavioral signs for yeast are pretty broad -- mood swings, trouble sleeping, anxiety, acting drunk when eating sugar, high needs.

ff, we tried enzymes, but at least with the high protease one, ds gets way too hyper, even if he just gets it through my breast milk. My homeopath never really talked about yeast -- she just wanted to look for a constitutional remedy.

#323 ·
ff--HOW did you do this with a 15 month old? they will not eat anything! plus they've been sick. i gave them raw cheese, but i have no idea how it's affected them because they've been sick. and me too. i feel like the diet is making me sick. i am just a mess.

they will not eat the broth. how much broth do you all eat? i force down at least three cups a day, usually more. mine's not great--i let it simmer 24 to 36 hours.

i really want some nuts. i had taken us off eggs, but because we had the illness, i don't know if it made a difference, and i was so starving today, we had eggs for breakfast. i don't think i felt better or worse. i want to add nuts (like the nut brownies or something), but it seems like an inappropriate thing to add. if we weren't on the diet, there's no way i'd be giving my girls nuts already, kwim? what do you all think about that?

i ordered enzymes (dh is going to kill me--i've been spending so much money pn food). maybe it'll make it easier to go to raw food. how soon did you all add raw food?

i'm just at a loss, and yesterday was hard--candy everywhere (but we didn't cheat). and everyone thinks i'm crazy to even be doing this (not that i've told many people).

at least there's no redness in the girls' diapers currently. that should be enough incentive to keep me going.

i just feel like this is a giant science experiment and my funding has run out!

#324 ·
Siana , artisticat and nicolena -
This is difficult to start. Siana, I hope you find out what's really making you feel crappy. For me, die off kinda came and went a couple times. I never felt yucky consistently for more than a couple of days.

nicolena, I soooo know what you mean about feeding a toddler on this diet. (Well, my 12 mo. old anyway.) I'm so worried about what she's eating and not eating. (Though I worry less about what she's NOT getting 'cause she's still nursing.) I do know she's hungry though and wants more than the little bits I'm introducing so sloooowly.

artisticat - I break down and give dd1 non-scd foods often. She'll have organic cereal, I'll make her oatmeal, she adores granola bars, she eats *regular* bread and she drinks milk. I've gotten her adapted to my yogurt, raw milk, my crackers, and my muffins and cookies. She doesn't like my bread though! As far as the socializing goes, we don't do it much either but the people we do eat with at times know about us and the reasons we started this in the first place so they're all supportive yk?

I'm so excited I had to share this: I just found a local source for raw milk, butter, cream, grass fed beef, pastured chickens and eggs! I'm getting my first order tomorrow!

#325 ·
Just wanted to add that we will be doing some socializing soon, first this weekend, when we're driving out to see my aunt and uncle about three hours' drive, and then again in May when we're going to the NYC/New Jersey area to visit with my in-laws (without DH -- yikes!). The in-law visit will be harder, because it's longer and I don't know them very well. My aunt and uncle have a grandson with cystic fibrosis, so I think they will be understanding. I haven't actually told them, yet, though. About SCD, that is.

#326 ·
I'm glad they didn't talk about yeast! I was hoping you would say just that! I always get leary when people get a remedy for the yeast-it bugs me. THere are many things besides enzymes that will help with yeast. We did several. I never relied on just the diet because my yeast was so awful. I also didn't start using enzymes until after I had already kicked the yeast.

My 15 month old didn't eat at all. I mean at all. My initial posts were total freak-outs because she'd go for days without eating. The SCD changed that for us. I remember talking to Moneca on the phone jumping up and down because dd ate one of the hideous chicken pancakes. I was disgusted-but she ate it!

Almonds aren't actually classified as nuts-they are a fruit. Really many "nuts" are. I won't give them some nuts like peanuts (not actually a nut anyway) or cashews often at all. But I was very comfortable using almonds starting at 16 months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.