Healing the Gut Tribe.......April - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 522 Old 04-21-2006, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, and just out of curiosity...how many people are doing SCD with fanatical adherence right now? I'm having a hard time keeping track...
#362 of 522 Old 04-21-2006, 11:32 AM

Well, I was doing SCD with fanatical adherence, that is until Easter. And now all this week it seems I've slipped up more and more. I was on it off and on for a couple months and this last time I did it slow and fanatically for 2 weeks. Still have tons of gas issues that never went away. Trying to figure this all out is hard work!!

Right now I am trying to decide which minerals to start with first (money is tight) Should I just start with a multi? I live in Michigan which is Selenium deficient and I could be low in Magnesium. So confused on whether to do a CAL/Mag combo or just Mag. I try and eat bone broths every day and i was eating yogurt every morning. Lately though everything sounds yucky to me. I don't want yogurt or kefir or any of my ferments. Nothing really sounds good (usually I am always hungry) Wonder what that means? Don't know wether it is bad or good. I do seem really thirsty too.

I tried coconut water kefir and pudding and . I made it from scratch and it didn't seem to be spoiled. I also used kefir grains for the coconut water. Everyone says it tasstes so good. Hmmmm.

Oh and Jane-- what is EPO good for besides excema? I think I read that you were taking it too? What is it supposed to help or give again?

Still not sure on the Betaine HCI though. Has anyone tried it with success? I am really considering to just go and try it.
#363 of 522 Old 04-21-2006, 01:52 PM

Yup, doing SCD with fanatical adherence, though I'm really starting to get into NT ideas. But for now both dd2 and I are strict SCD'ers. (With the exception of a few supplements.) So . . . I guess that doesn't really make us fanatical eh?

ETAsk: How old were all your dcs when you began giving them CLO?
#364 of 522 Old 04-21-2006, 05:40 PM

ds was four months and dd was one month. We did it at the advice of several practitioners...they got it directly, not just through bm.
#365 of 522 Old 04-21-2006, 08:20 PM

firefaery, I'm already giving dd1 1/4-1/2 teaspoon in her o.j. Do you think my 12 mo. old could start w/1/4 tsp.?
#366 of 522 Old 04-21-2006, 08:45 PM

What kind are you using? DIfferent ages require different things...for my one month old I had to use a very low vitamin, low EPA high DHA brand. The quantity will depend on the brand, it makes a difference...
#367 of 522 Old 04-21-2006, 09:16 PM

Oh yeah, that makes sense. I have Nordic Naturals. I'd go read the box right now but dh is doing the nighttime thing w/dd1.
#368 of 522 Old 04-22-2006, 08:33 PM

I guess I would say I'm doing SCD with fanatical adherence...I haven't cheated at all or eaten "advanced" foods, although at least one of my supplements is illegal.

OK, question for those of you who have been doing gut-healing for a bit...how long did it take you to see changes in yourself or your DC? I'm not sure anything's changed with me or DD, although it's only been 10 days so maybe I'm just too impatient.

Does anyone know if doing a colon cleanse is a good idea with gut healing or might help things along? I still have gas so I'm not sure if there's stuff that needs to come out (that's gross, I know!), or if I'm adding too much new food or what. I've only added half a dozen fruits/veggies, plus the nut butter. Part of the problem is I have no idea how to tell whether I'm going too fast or not--since nothing seems to be changing and I don't have any digestive symptoms other than gas, how can I tell? DD still has circles under her eyes, diaper rash, and had some green poop yesterday. I may have to try eliminating eggs or nuts to see if she is reacting to one of those, but I'm going to try to do some yeast-killing first to see if that helps.
#369 of 522 Old 04-22-2006, 10:12 PM

firefaery, I know some of your supps aren't strict SCD, how about the rest?
I've been considering adding millet or quinoa to my diet.
#370 of 522 Old 04-23-2006, 12:06 AM

I've been reading through all the posts here and on the excema tribe, but I still have lots of questions.

Some quick background. Dd, 4 mos, has had excema since she was 4 wks old. Just 2 days ago I finally figured out what must have caused it. She was hospitalized at 10 days old for a fever, and she was given a course of antibiotics through an IV for 48 hours straight as a "precautionary measure". Turns out she just had the flu, but they wanted to cover their butts I guess. : Anyways, I'm learning now about how antibiotics kill or imbalance the flora in the gut and that is why she now has food allergies (wheat, eggs, dairy, gluten) despite being exclusively bf and no history of family food allergies or excema.

Been to the Dr. so many times and finally last week started getting some answers, after lots of pointless visits where I left just as clueless as when we walked in. Anyways, Dr. took a sample of skin flakes from her face and examined them and said it is yeast. So, I'm trying to understand...is the yeast a result of the flora imbalance? If we beat the yeast, does that mean her food allergies will go away?

I've been off of dairy for 6 wks, off of eggs for 4 wks, and off of wheat and gluten as well now for over 2 wks, with some improvement, and then gone back to square one as far as how bad the excema is. This diet is really really hard on me, as food has always played a big role in my life. And it's discouraging that she's not getting any better.

I am giving her probiotics and I'm taking omega 3 supplements. How else can I help heal her gut? I've been reading here and there about an SCD. Can someone give me a simple rundown of how this diet works? Do *I* have to do the diet since I am bf'in her? How long? How soon will we see results?

Do I keep avoiding the foods she's sensitive to? What happens if I eat something she's sensitive too? How much worse can she get? She's still in horrible shape, so it seems to me like this elim. diet is doing no good.

She has VERY weepy skin in the evening and through the night. It soaks whatever she's wearing and by the morning her face is so crusted that she can't even smile or it hurts her. And she only seems to be getting worse. It's spreading to other parts of her body where she didn't have it before.

I'm at a loss.....I'm in despair....my heart is aching seeing her like this and not knowing what more I can do! I cry every day over this, and it's just so draining. The elim diet combined with the guilt and despair.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#371 of 522 Old 04-23-2006, 12:38 AM

birthjunkie--Your poor DD! I'm so sorry she is going through this...I'm not an expert by any means but from what I've read it sounds like the SCD and gut healing can help your DD. Yes, you would have to do the diet since you are BF'ing. But...from what I've read on elimination diets, the SCD will probably be easier for you and a lot healthier. Some of the others on this thread can tell you more, but several have said their DC had multiple food allergies and once they got going on the diet, most or even all of the food allergies went away. And yes the SCD can help with yeast, but you may also want to do a separate protocol of enzymes and/or other yeast killers to help speed healing along.

Basically the SCD eliminates all grains and starches. Most people do use dairy but you can do it without and later try to add dairy in again and see how she does. Have you looked at www.pecanbread.com? That lists a basic "intro diet" that doesn't contain dairy. It also has different stages of foods to introduce depending on how far along you are on the diet. You don't have to stick to that but it is helpful for me as I do better if I have some sort of guideline to follow. You can still have desserts, just make them with nut butter or eventually nut flour, and honey. For me the diet was very very difficult the first day (I only did one day of the intro diet), and the next couple were pretty hard, but then I got into a routine (and added some more foods) and it isn't bad at all now. I've found some recipes that are pretty good and I don't feel too deprived any more.

I have only being doing the SCD for about 10 days, and I can't say I've seen any results yet, but our problems are pretty mild compared to many of the ones here. I know several people with more severe problems said they saw results very quickly, within a few days.

Probiotics are great but you need really really strong ones to be effective. There are supposed to be a few brands that are good, although I don't remember which ones, but most people use 24 hour homemade cow or goat yogurt--the long culturing gets rid of the lactose and helps break down the milk proteins, plus the yogurt has tons and tons of probiotics in it. Pecanbread.com recommends doing the diet for a few weeks and I think taking a probiotic supplement before adding goat milk yogurt to allow time for some healing to take place (that website is designed for autistic kids, and so their dietary recommendations are a little different than the regular SCD). Cod liver oil is a great supplement for you to take, and I believe at 4 weeks you can also give it to your DD. The good brands are Radiant Life Blue Ice, and I think Nordic Naturals (there's another brand too but I can't remember what the name of it is). Don't get Carlson's--they take the natural vitamins out and replace them with synthetic versions. Virgin or extra virgin coconut oil is also great for healing--you can use it in all your cooking and baking.

Hopefully this helps...like I said I'm not an expert but I wanted to at least try to answer some of your questions and hopefully you will be able to get your DD on the road to healing.
#372 of 522 Old 04-23-2006, 12:45 AM

No-we are strict with foods, but there are some things *I* know to be beneficial in terms of supplements, so we take enzymes with them. I don't think I'm a fanatical adherent.

Quinoa baffles me because it's a seed-not a grain. In the book she says that she hasn't analyzed the "new" grains on the market and references quinoa as being one of them. But it's NOT a grain. Based on the theory behind the book, I'd say if you are tolerating seeds, use your judgement.

Birth Junkie-Jane would be a great person to talk to about the eczema. I will tell you that we had blood tests to confirm over 35 alleriges in my kids (between the two of them) and doing the SCD we didn't have to avoid the known allergens. The food isn't damaging the gut, so avoiding it or including it doesn't make a difference in the healing. I did avoid eggs for ds, not because it would have slowed healing, but because I couldn't deal with his reactions (behavioral) You do have to do it if you're breastfeeding, but that is a good thing. The only way a baby reacts to breastmilk is if mama is leaking proteins. Your baby is telling you that you have healing to do as well!

Caedmyn-I'm pming you after this, but I'll answer what's relevant to everyone here. I saw a difference immediately, but I guess I'll have to qualify that. Dd was in BAD shape, as was I. The rashes took awhile to competely go, but my bowel function was noticably different within a couple of weeks, as was dd's. Her sleep patterns changed after some time, but ds's changed within the first month or so. Dd's disposition changed within the first month, but it was a slight change...it took longer for others to notice. I think it was legitimately 3-4 months before I could say, "WOW. This is a whole different ballgame."

Cleanses can be very beneficial, but not if your gut is newly or badly damaged. You really should wait until you've done some significant healing or you could cause problems. i used to do colonics, which I stopped when things got really bad. I hope to do some again after this babe is born. I believe you should really have NO symptoms of gut damage before doing anything like that. Then clear away the sludge and continue healing. Of course that is ONLY my opinion. But there you go.
#373 of 522 Old 04-23-2006, 10:38 AM

If you are doing the SCD and feel like *cheating* . . . .
DON'T!

I foolishly ate some Terra brand organic vegetable sticks (taro root, sweet potatoes, safflower oil, sea salt). I figured how bad can it really be for me?

Well. I was up half the night throwing it all up w/subsequent diarhea this morning. I'm glad my body did its best to rid itself of this stuff. I just hope it doesn't affect dd. :

A good lesson learned. Guess I won't be introducing grains any time soon. . .
#374 of 522 Old 04-24-2006, 01:04 AM

Oh, Annikate, that's terrible! Sorry to hear you found out the hard way starches aren't working for you right now.

As far as fanatical adherence, I was doing well until I went to my Aunt and Uncle's, where I ate soup that was made with some canned tomatoes. And I have gas now to show for it! Boy, visiting relatives can be rough!

Moss, I've heard that if there is a yeast issue, brewer's yeast is not a good idea, as it feeds the yeast. Also, anyone with allergies to mold or yeast can have a problem with it. But I don't see it on the legal/illegal list on Elaine's website. Let us know if you find out for sure somewhere, but generally yeasts are illegal for the aforementioned reasons.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#375 of 522 Old 04-24-2006, 01:25 AM

Most sources say that nut. and brewer's yeast are fine and don't feed yeast. All I can tell you is that every time, without exception, I eat either one I get a raging yeast infection.
#376 of 522 Old 04-24-2006, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
Most sources say that nut. and brewer's yeast are fine and don't feed yeast. All I can tell you is that every time, without exception, I eat either one I get a raging yeast infection.
Yes, I couldn't tolerate either.
#377 of 522 Old 04-24-2006, 12:39 PM

Yikes Terri, that's awful!!!! I hope you feel better today.
#378 of 522 Old 04-24-2006, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthjunkie27
I've been reading through all the posts here and on the excema tribe, but I still have lots of questions.

Some quick background. Dd, 4 mos, has had excema since she was 4 wks old. Just 2 days ago I finally figured out what must have caused it. She was hospitalized at 10 days old for a fever, and she was given a course of antibiotics through an IV for 48 hours straight as a "precautionary measure". Turns out she just had the flu, but they wanted to cover their butts I guess. : Anyways, I'm learning now about how antibiotics kill or imbalance the flora in the gut and that is why she now has food allergies (wheat, eggs, dairy, gluten) despite being exclusively bf and no history of family food allergies or excema.

Been to the Dr. so many times and finally last week started getting some answers, after lots of pointless visits where I left just as clueless as when we walked in. Anyways, Dr. took a sample of skin flakes from her face and examined them and said it is yeast. So, I'm trying to understand...is the yeast a result of the flora imbalance? If we beat the yeast, does that mean her food allergies will go away?

I've been off of dairy for 6 wks, off of eggs for 4 wks, and off of wheat and gluten as well now for over 2 wks, with some improvement, and then gone back to square one as far as how bad the excema is. This diet is really really hard on me, as food has always played a big role in my life. And it's discouraging that she's not getting any better.

I am giving her probiotics and I'm taking omega 3 supplements. How else can I help heal her gut? I've been reading here and there about an SCD. Can someone give me a simple rundown of how this diet works? Do *I* have to do the diet since I am bf'in her? How long? How soon will we see results?

Do I keep avoiding the foods she's sensitive to? What happens if I eat something she's sensitive too? How much worse can she get? She's still in horrible shape, so it seems to me like this elim. diet is doing no good.

She has VERY weepy skin in the evening and through the night. It soaks whatever she's wearing and by the morning her face is so crusted that she can't even smile or it hurts her. And she only seems to be getting worse. It's spreading to other parts of her body where she didn't have it before.

I'm at a loss.....I'm in despair....my heart is aching seeing her like this and not knowing what more I can do! I cry every day over this, and it's just so draining. The elim diet combined with the guilt and despair.
Yes, her gut colonization has been damaged by the antibiotics. And thus her immune system is damaged.
http://www.massbfc.org/formula/bottle.html

Give her bifidus only, this is the dominent bacteria in ebf babes, until they start eating solids. Lifestart from Natren is good:
http://netriceuticals.com/listing.asp?id=149

What omega 3 are you taking and how much? You can try rubbing her skin with evening primrose too, not necessarily the damaged parts but her back or something so it will absorb. All this takes time. I would give the bifidus at least 3x day.

Do you have any digestive symptoms? Are you taking probiotics too? The fats in your diet are key... no vegetable oils as they contain a surfeit of omega 6's. Trans fats block omega 3 fatty acids as well. The oils and fats you eat directly influence the fats in your milk. Use only olive oil (unheated or slightly heated), coconut oil, butter or ghee (that is casein free), animal fats, nuts and nut oils, avocados... these are the healthy fats that the immune system is built upon.

Food did not necessarily cause this by itself and that is why just an elimination diet is not going to work. It rather more complex than that and I'm still learning after 2 years myself!
#379 of 522 Old 04-24-2006, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
What omega 3 are you taking and how much?

Do you have any digestive symptoms? Are you taking probiotics too?
I'm taking Sundown Fish Oil 1000mg, high in omega-3 fatty aicds.

I also just started taking Garden of Life Primal Defense HSO probiotic. Is there such a thing as too much probiotic? I've been giving Samara Udo's Choice Infant's Blend Probiotic, which as I'm reading it it only contains 15% bifidobacterium infantis. I give her about 1 tsp a day. I dip my finger in it and let her suck it, and this is how she takes it.

I don't think I have any digestive symptoms. Nothing I have ever eaten ever really bothers me. I'm pretty regular, rarely have diahrrea (not sure how to spell it).

What do you think of grapefruit seed extract? I bought some yesterday, but haven't done anything with it yet.

In your experiences how long did it take to see dramatic results in your child? And how long before your child's food sensitivities went away? Is it safe to say that once her yeast is cleared up, she will be over the food sensitivities or will it take much longer for her gut to properly heal? The elim diet is taking a toal on me, my husband, my whole family. I'm the only one who's on the diet, but I am verry crabby, and my whole family suffers. I can't imagine eliminating sugar and rice too, on the scd. I've already cut back on sugar but it's so hard not having many food options.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#380 of 522 Old 04-24-2006, 06:04 PM

Quote:
The elim diet is taking a toal on me, my husband, my whole family. I'm the only one who's on the diet, but I am verry crabby, and my whole family suffers. I can't imagine eliminating sugar and rice too, on the scd. I've already cut back on sugar but it's so hard not having many food options.
Elimination diets are soooo hard & they don't do anything to improve your health either. When I started SCD (after the TED) I was in heaven! I could finally eat again. Despite not getting nearly enough sleep or exercise, I feel great. The SCD has changed our lives profoundly. I am so grateful to have stumbled upon it through MDC.
#381 of 522 Old 04-24-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I'm taking Sundown Fish Oil 1000mg, high in omega-3 fatty aicds.
Only one? You should be taking at least 6 or more.

Sundown® Fish Oil 1000mg (180 mg EPA, 120 mg DHA per softgel, 2-6 per day)*

Also, there is a general warning against fish oils from certain companies in capsules. They have tested to be rancid because of heat processing ... and rancid oil is very dangerous, contains free radicals. Personally I only go with cod liver oil from trusted sources, for the vitamins too. One tablespoon of CLO for bf'ing mothers. I don't know anything about the Sundown brand or the manner of processing.

Quote:
I also just started taking Garden of Life Primal Defense HSO probiotic. Is there such a thing as too much probiotic? I've been giving Samara Udo's Choice Infant's Blend Probiotic, which as I'm reading it it only contains 15% bifidobacterium infantis. I give her about 1 tsp a day. I dip my finger in it and let her suck it, and this is how she takes it.

I don't think I have any digestive symptoms. Nothing I have ever eaten ever really bothers me. I'm pretty regular, rarely have diahrrea (not sure how to spell it).

What do you think of grapefruit seed extract? I bought some yesterday, but haven't done anything with it yet.
I'm not sure on the Udo's Choice as it contains acidophilus and thermophilus.
http://www.vitacost.com/UdosChoiceInfantsBlendProbiotic

My DS is still not doing well so at least you can learn from some of my mistakes! (don't do FOS or acidophilus when ebf)

Grapefruit seed extract kills beneficial bacteria in addition to the bad bacteria/yeast. I would not give it to babe. I would not take it yourself if you are not having yeast symptoms.
#382 of 522 Old 04-24-2006, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
OK, question for those of you who have been doing gut-healing for a bit...how long did it take you to see changes in yourself or your DC? I'm not sure anything's changed with me or DD, although it's only been 10 days so maybe I'm just too impatient.

Does anyone know if doing a colon cleanse is a good idea with gut healing or might help things along? I still have gas so I'm not sure if there's stuff that needs to come out (that's gross, I know!), or if I'm adding too much new food or what. I've only added half a dozen fruits/veggies, plus the nut butter. Part of the problem is I have no idea how to tell whether I'm going too fast or not--since nothing seems to be changing and I don't have any digestive symptoms other than gas, how can I tell? DD still has circles under her eyes, diaper rash, and had some green poop yesterday. I may have to try eliminating eggs or nuts to see if she is reacting to one of those, but I'm going to try to do some yeast-killing first to see if that helps.
I noticed a significant change within a week or two, all my gas was gone. With my DS, well, 8 months on SCD hasn't seemed to help all that much!! His stools tests did show the carb loving bacteria has been eliminated (Klebsiella) but not the protein loving ones (Proteus) so I think that is our issue.

Are you doing digestive enzymes? I'd do those before cleanses. I've never done one myself, so I'm not much help.
#383 of 522 Old 04-24-2006, 09:21 PM

DS was 8 months old when we started CLO for his eczema upon advice of ND. He got 1/2 tsp/day.

The more I read about CLO and ADD and autism, I'm sure this was one of the things that I actually did right and saved his brain.
#384 of 522 Old 04-24-2006, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticat
Well, I was doing SCD with fanatical adherence, that is until Easter. And now all this week it seems I've slipped up more and more. I was on it off and on for a couple months and this last time I did it slow and fanatically for 2 weeks. Still have tons of gas issues that never went away. Trying to figure this all out is hard work!!

Right now I am trying to decide which minerals to start with first (money is tight) Should I just start with a multi? I live in Michigan which is Selenium deficient and I could be low in Magnesium. So confused on whether to do a CAL/Mag combo or just Mag. I try and eat bone broths every day and i was eating yogurt every morning. Lately though everything sounds yucky to me. I don't want yogurt or kefir or any of my ferments. Nothing really sounds good (usually I am always hungry) Wonder what that means? Don't know wether it is bad or good. I do seem really thirsty too.

Oh and Jane-- what is EPO good for besides excema? I think I read that you were taking it too? What is it supposed to help or give again?

Still not sure on the Betaine HCI though. Has anyone tried it with success? I am really considering to just go and try it.
Selenium is cheap, just get the yeast free selenomethione version. And I was just reading that butter is good source of selenium, who da thought!

I totally love Natural Calm Magnesium, Firefaery's rec.

I didn't feel like eating when I had gas too, that could be it, your system is just not accepting of food right now.

I took the EPO (less now) for my bladder issue (interstitial cystitis), it helped a great deal, I assume with tissue integrity. More info here: http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyour...linolenic.html

I find that article so interesting for the "obligate carnivore" hypothesis. Based on my abysmal health after vegetarian diet, I'm sure I'm one of them.
#385 of 522 Old 04-24-2006, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
Oh, and just out of curiosity...how many people are doing SCD with fanatical adherence right now? I'm having a hard time keeping track...
Me no longer :

Been doing little cheats for a while, like canned tomatoes, raw non fermented cream, chevre.
Started NT soaked grains and am doing fabulously!
Always enzymes.

I really like Thropp's Ultra-Zyme, they seem to be pretty strong and cheapest all around:
http://www.throppsnutrition.com/ps_ultrazyme.htm
#386 of 522 Old 04-24-2006, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita
after 3 weeks on a low carb, nt diet with kefir everyday i no longer seem to be having gas and indigestion. and -TMI HERE- my bm's no longer contain undigested food particles. my ebf ds now has nice yellow bf poop instead of greenish yellow allergy poop. yay!

so i'm hoping this means my leaky gut/malabsorption issues are clearing up, but obviously i still have a yeast problem so time to address that more directly...

sigh... when will i be *healthy* ???

R
That's very good progress!!

It's really hard, I know! But I look at it this way, I've learned SO MUCH about nutrition and it's connection with health through this whole journey that I never ever would have discovered. Or found the commitment to change. I'm actually grateful for it. Well, most of the time (not on days when DS is hitting me and not sleeping, sigh).

I really did see significant healing from kefir right before I did SCD. Then all of a sudden, kefir started tasting gross to me and I craved yogurt.

I've been doing a lot of thinking as to why DS is not getting better and I am and kefir is one of the things I did differently than he.

It's so hard to say which is the best probiotic. The information is so conflicting.

I've been so down on HSO's and Jordan Rubin as I'm sure you know. But then my WAPF Chapter Leader (who has become a friend I see almost every week for playdates) really believes in them, has personally seen benefits with herself and her DH, and uses them with her clients. (She is a nutritional consultant.)
#387 of 522 Old 04-24-2006, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth
Jane, I think you may be right about bacteria + yeast -- what do I do that will kill both in both of us? Oh, and I definitely will try the banana thing -- and maybe yogurt, but lately ds has been refusing it.
I think enzymes are the easiest choice, the proteases for the bacteria and the cellulases for the yeast. 3x day in between meals if you can. The problem with "killers" is that so little is known about them, what exactly they kill and whether they work in vivo, b/c the are just tested in vitro. Plus one is always not so sure which strains you have, even with stool testing.

Maybe a change in probiotics is necessary? Consider Sacc. boulardii or the beneficial yeasts in kefir. Or dare I now say it and eat my previous words ... HSO's. As you can tell, the idea that SCD can fix absolutely everything is completely disproven by my DS! And he has never even had advanced foods like dried fruits or beans since becoming fanatical last Sept.
#388 of 522 Old 04-24-2006, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccasanova
I have been debating whether or not to post here in the heal the gut tribe. I know you mamas are probably very far into this, and I'm a newbie asking questions, but I have decided to give my questions a try. First, from doing google searches I am suspecting that I might have a problem with my gut. I'm not sure if it is candida or just an imbalance of the good and bad bacteria. Or if what I mentioned above is the same thing??? I don't have the money to go see a naturopath to get it diagnosed if it is the case (candida) so I'm kinda on my own. First, if I am suspecting these things, is it ok for me to just go get a candida cleansing kit? Will this get rid of the problem if that is what I have? Which one is good and how will I know when all the candida out of my body. Also, if a imbalance of good/bad bacteria is the problem will taking probiotics fix the problem? Should I take the 2 products at the same time? I'm seeing what I think is a patch of ezema, dandruff, fungal skin infection, and some kind of rash near my belly button. Some of these things have been going on longer then others. But I never thought that it could be some problem of my gut. Can someone help? TIA!
What are your gut symptoms? I'll make it less embarrassing for you... you don't have to answer me if you don't want to. If you are not having 1-3 solid brown comfortable bm's a day, with no discernible food particles, and no gas or bloating or indigestion, then you have a problem.

Yes probiotics are essential for healing any gut issue and especially gut flora problems. In very large amounts, that is why homemade 24 hr yogurt or kefir is so great, there's a higher bacterial count in one teaspoon than most capsules on the market.

Echoing my previous post to Jen... this is where enzymes really excell... if you don't know what bad bugs you are fighting. Taking enzymes between meals fights the bad bugs and gut inflammation.

The fats in your diet also might need some looking at for the skin issues.
#389 of 522 Old 04-24-2006, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
JaneS--so should I try to avoid nuts for a while? I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make at this point anyway...I ate a ton of peanut butter (probably easily a pound a week) while pregnant, and the first couple months of DD's life. I guess I could try to avoid it if it's necessary...but first I'm going to go make myself a pecan butter pancake so I at least get one treat in if I have to give the stuff up!
Not sure what to say... perhaps stick to the nuts that are easier to digest like pecans and almonds for now?
#390 of 522 Old 04-25-2006, 12:31 AM

Is there anything I can do to minimize die-off reactions? I'm going to start enzymes again soon and they made DD really cranky last time I tried them, even though they didn't bother me. Would epsom salt baths help her if I took them (she's EBF)?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page