Healing the Gut Tribe.......April - Page 16 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#451 of 522 Old 04-27-2006, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or just use NN and supplement A&D with Carlson's natural vitamin pills at a 10:1 ratio A : D.
#452 of 522 Old 04-27-2006, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolena
hi guys. we're still muddling along, and i am hopelessly behind on the thread.

our newest problem--bloody diaper rash. it is horrible! i'm thinking perhaps it is the enzymes i'm taking--they pee it out and it irritates? has this happened to any breastfeeding mamas? so i'm stopping the enzymes (and i've been taking miniscule amounts since they made me feel funny--like i think i've taken 3.5 over 4 or 5 days).

we have been nothing but sick since starting 3 weeks ago, but in the past few days (when i restarted the diet yet again because i had given too much banana and cooked fruit too soon--SOMEONE NEEDS TO REWRITE THIS BOOK FOR CLARITY!)...in the past few days, MAJOR MOOD IMPROVEMENT! the girls have learned how to give real kisses and they are finally relaxing into me like i always thought they should.

but does anyone have thoughts about the rash? the skin is just raw and bleeding. one dd had it much worse==her labia were so swollen i almost took her to the doctor (but i realized i wouldn't give her any meds they suggested so...). man, i can't wait til i have only good news to report! and when i can eat some applesauce.

also--48 hour yogurt i s so much better than 24--yummers.
If enzymes make you feel funny it's die off. Not sure what to say about the rash issue, unless it was connected to the fruit? My DS has issues with apples, they contain a hard to digest sugar, sorbitol.

I'm pretty sure I read the bacteria in yogurt starts to die off after 36 hours? Or stop growing maybe?
#453 of 522 Old 04-27-2006, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
Hi mama's. Haven't caught up yet.

I wanted to post. I read an article in The New Yorker about I think it was Crohns and how it is caused by a bacteria found in milk! Some study found that virtually 100% of people with crones had this one particular, very difficult to culture bacteria living in their gut. I thought that it totally validates BTVC. Of course it implicates milk instead of implicating the farming that put the bacteria there.
Jordan Rubin says this too. It is called MAP ?

We have tons of bad bacteria of many kinds in our gut. But it's supposed to only be 15% bad and 85% good that keep it in check. It's when the good is reduced that's a problem. Speaking of good bacteria...

Since it's almost summer for most of us, consider the damage caused chlorine in pools. It kills off the good bacteria in our guts too. Here's an alternative for those of you who have pools:

Baquacil, hydrogen peroxide
http://www.baquacil.com/default.asp
#454 of 522 Old 04-27-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Since it's almost summer for most of us, consider the damage caused chlorine in pools. It kills off the good bacteria in our guts too. Here's an alternative for those of you who have pools:

Baquacil, hydrogen peroxide
http://www.baquacil.com/default.asp
OMG, OMG!!! Jane!! I gasped when I read this. My dds are now taking swimming lessons again and OMG, dd2 IS NOT SLEEPING ANYMORE (AGAIN.) She's also been spitting up again. . .

I suspected the chlorine. Geez, here we go again. . . I haven't yet tried her on yogurt but think I will now. Thing is, we go on vacation for over a week soon and I won't be able to make yogurt there.
#455 of 522 Old 04-27-2006, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
Hey Mamas,

Question? Or 3.

We are doing SCD w/fanatical adherence. I'm doing great, until I had a tincture made w/gluten containing alcohol, sigh. So, looks like I'm back at the beginning again.

My 4 yr old, seems to be making no progress whatsoever. And he is the one I'm most worried about. He nurses and I think that might be a "problem" for the killing of the beasties. He poops once a day, always soft, not diarrhea, perse, but soft. Always comes out like a long snake until the end when it loses even the snake form and just has a lil' pile of it in the toilet. Obviously he streaks the toilet every time. His cheeks are red often (not sure if its the enzymes or not--although we haven't been fanatical about them at all), and he has a big ol' red and painful ring around his anus. We've tried the diet w/no fruit and honey for up to a week w/him, and still, nada w/the cheeks and bum. We've discussed stopping b/fing for a time as well as stopping fruit and honey, and being fanatical about the enzymes----he is very open to this. He wants to stop being so limited. Thoughts?

Should I be using enzymes before I eat yogurt? I always have this picture in my mind of the enzymes eating all the good bacteria---whadda you think?

Any problem w/mixing the 3 houston's together and just giving yourself a scoop of that mixture????

Oh, and I really want to start taking something for my cancer. The problem, the 2 supplements I'm looking at both have illegials, rice bran, maltodextrin and the like. I need some guidance on this one. According to Patient Heal Thyself, Rubin recommends staying away from grains for 6-12 months for those w/celiac disease, so I'm hesitant to try anything w/rice bran in it. And maltodextrin??? I know that is corn based, isn't it sugar??? Here's the 2 supplements I'm looking at:

http://www.gardenoflifeusa.com/detail_rm10.shtml#whats Click on the lil' link under the bottle for ingredient info.

and

http://www.newchapter.info/product/m...=32895&-search The ingredients include organic alcohol in addition to the brown rice, so that might be grain alcohol and out anyway

or

http://www.newchapter.info/product/m...=32875&-search
Hi Amy,

I'm pretty sure alcohol doesn't contain gluten even if made from it? What happened after the tincture? What was in it?

Your son sounds exactly like mine. Although at least you didn't wean him, I regret sorely weaning mine. And well, as you know, I haven't figured my guy out yet. Hopefully the herbs and homeopathy will help but too soon to tell. How much yogurt is he eating?

I don't think there is a problem taking all 3 Houston's that way but I'd really encourage you to do Peptizyde between meals and also No Fenol if you have yeast issues.

Devin Houston has said that the yogurt/enzyme issue is not a problem I believe but I also have that phobia.

I think maltodextrin is a starch from corn. It's interesting how JR is so fanatic and SCD-like in some ways and puts that crap in his products.

I don't know what to say re: the illegals. It seems silly to not take something that could potentially help you. Enzymes with it?
#456 of 522 Old 04-27-2006, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
OMG, OMG!!! Jane!! I gasped when I read this. My dds are now taking swimming lessons again and OMG, dd2 IS NOT SLEEPING ANYMORE (AGAIN.) She's also been spitting up again. . .

I suspected the chlorine. Geez, here we go again. . . I haven't yet tried her on yogurt but think I will now. Thing is, we go on vacation for over a week soon and I won't be able to make yogurt there.
Wow! Well there you go.

This also pertains to baths and showers too... we use a chlorine filter for the shower and if DS takes a bath instead I use the shower head to fill tub. But the pools have heavy concentrations of chlorines.

Make yogurt ahead and take it with you in cooler? It lasts 2 weeks and really doesn't have to be kept super cold either.

P.S. it's a good thing you PM'd me about this or I would have lost your message in the middle of my "posting party"
#457 of 522 Old 04-27-2006, 09:50 PM

Quote:
P.S. Caedmyn

I found that it was sometimes helpful of me to thing of the entire gut situation rather than "I ate one thing that set me off". Meaning it could be that you cannot digest the sorbitol in apples... but that generally things are happening in the gut flora as a whole to shift it one way or another. It can be frustrating thinking back in minute detail that the Elmination Diet teaches you. Am I making sense?

So...are you basically saying it's probably the gut not being very healed yet rather than one specific food causing the allergy symptoms?
#458 of 522 Old 04-27-2006, 09:56 PM

Thanks, firefaery and Jane, for the responses. I will talk again to Penny. I have talked to her before about making yogurt, but I don't think she'll do that either. And she is so resistant on the diet changes. But she may take enzymes.

I think her topical rash is pretty much gone. Her toenail fungus is really bad right now and through testing the fungus is in her bloodstream. Her doctor says once it's in the bloodstream, diet won't help. I think medically speaking the next step is putting in an iv port and getting prescription antifungals intravenously. And with their current financial situation, that would be cheaper than diet changes.

I am really disappointed in her because she knows so much about health and nutrition yet she won't commit to it. But then again, I am somewhat the same, although if I had the problems she has I like to think I would act differently.
#459 of 522 Old 04-27-2006, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Wow! Well there you go.

This also pertains to baths and showers too... we use a chlorine filter for the shower and if DS takes a bath instead I use the shower head to fill tub. But the pools have heavy concentrations of chlorines.
Where can one get a chlorine filter for the shower??? I want one!
#460 of 522 Old 04-27-2006, 11:45 PM

So no suppliments at all today to see if they were causing my daily stomach ache. I didn't get one in the morning like I normally do but I did in the afternoon after eating a cranberry muffin w/scd cream cheese. So was it the cranberry (first time since starting scd) or the cream cheese (I've had a love hate affair w/cow dairy for a while now but so far it has seemed ok on scd). Or perhaps just because dd was awake for an hour in the middle of the night and coincidental that it happened right after the muffin.

Jane- I was doing enzymes both with meals and between meals. I think they have been bothering me for a while but I didn't put it together because my stomach wouldn't start to hurt untill 1-2 hours after I took it. I'm going to give my system a few days to calm down and then reintroduce them slowly. I started slowly before but may have overlooked a reaction because it was so far from the time that I took the enzymes. DD however seems to be tolerating them well, when I can get them into her.

I saw a digestive healing book by JR. Anyone read it? It had some good reviews on amazon but I'm not going to bother getting it if it just contains the same stuff as the makers diet.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#461 of 522 Old 04-27-2006, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn
Where can one get a chlorine filter for the shower??? I want one!
Me too but my shower is the kind that attaches to the tub spout and has a hose that goes up the wall (if you kwim) I haven't found one that I think will work with our set up. I do have a clorine ball on our tub spout though www.gaiam.com is where I got ours.

our family is <>< and :
#462 of 522 Old 04-27-2006, 11:49 PM

Also, where do I get DCCC/how do I make it? I still don't have the book.
#463 of 522 Old 04-27-2006, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn
Also, where do I get DCCC/how do I make it? I still don't have the book.
DCCC is also called Farmers Cheese. It looks a lot like cream cheese. My Whole foods was carrying it but they said the last time I went in that it is a seasonal thing and not available right now. I don't know. I have started making it. I take the 24 hour yougart and drip it in a cloth untill it is like cream cheese or even thicker. I use that in place of DCCC in recipes.

our family is <>< and :
#464 of 522 Old 04-27-2006, 11:59 PM

Speaking of yougart.

My yogurt maker broke . I've been using a cooler w/2 heating pads in it. Well I always check it every few hours and it is always perfect. I've been incubating 1.5 gallons of yogurt in there for 48 hours and I just checked it. It was 80 degrees I have no idea how long it has been too cool. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Any ideas? It was raw milk too. Do I just have to toss it?

our family is <>< and :
#465 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 12:01 AM

Quote:
With fish it is probably the proteins, not the fats. And ditto with dairy, casein dairy proteins are not in either ghee or the centrifuged butter oil. That being said, I cannot determine myself if my cow's milk protein sensitive DS can take it either!!

Any possibility of getting liver into him? Grass fed organ meats also have the X-factor. I wonder about liver extracts like: http://www.drrons.com/organic-organ-delight.htm
My husband reacts pretty violently to cod liver oil, so I don't think it is just the proteins in fish. I know he reacts to butter, but we haven't tried ghee or centrifuged butter oil for him yet. He also reacts to flax oil, even in small amounts. I think the only way I am going to be able to get xfactor into him is with organ meats, and I haven't found a good supplier yet. I would really like to feed him the whole organs instead of extracts, because that would be a lot more cost effective.

I think he definitely has a leaky gut. I am hoping to get some raw goats dairy soon and see if he can tolerate 24 hr yogurt made with it to help him start healing. He is also pretty underweight at this point. He started dropping weight several months ago and hasn't been able to get any to stick since then. He is willing to eat anything I try to feed him though, so hopefully I will make it something that will help him out!
#466 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 12:10 AM

Pattyla-it's essentially the same book, just without religion. I read Restoring Your Digestive Health first and really liked it. I'm not "religious" but I liked the spiritual aspects of MD very much. If I were just getting one, I'd get MD.

Your poor SIL! Fungus in the bloodstream happens when you have any fungal overgrowth. It's in the bloodstream because they damaged her gut lining and her internal organs. Mainstream medicine sees it as a death sentence though...ironic since they are responsible for it in almost every case. Can she see an ND? Food changes would really help (as would enzymes) but it doesn't sound like she can/is willing. I agree with Jane, I spend alot on food, but she would find relief (even though this makes me shudder) doing the diet with conventional products. The diet doesn't specify organic. Something to consider...she may be able to cut her costs relying on yogurt and eggs for protein, and using meats and things that are on sale. Bones are cheap and the broth can go a long way. I don't know. Wish I could help more!
#467 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 12:21 AM

Firefaery- thanks I already have md and have read it. I won't get that one too. I am interested in his other one Heal thyself?

our family is <>< and :
#468 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 12:30 AM

I think I'm in the minority here, but I LOVED Patient, Heal Thyself. I think it's worth it for sure. I've been a Jordan Rubin junkie (canya tell?) for years now. He was the first person that gave me hope when I had nothing. I love his products for the most part (people feel like he product pushes, but he didn't have any in the beginning. He developed them because there weren't any out there) and like his honesty. It's a great companion to NT. Can anyone tell me why-since those were the first "healing" things I read-I went vegan and expected to be able to heal? I am feeling grumpy today that I took steps backwards. Arrgh.
#469 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 12:38 AM

Caedmyn- I couldn't see if this was already answered. I *think* what Jane is saying is that there shouldn't be food allergies period. If you are healing the gut, you are healing all causes...so try not to second guess everything you ate. It's futile. Things can take 72 hours to show up in a "reaction." You just have no way of knowing what it was, unless every time you eat dairy a horrid rash pops up immediately and you have explosive diarrhea...but even then the same case can be made. IF there's a clear reaction to A SPECIFIC FOOD then take it out. Not necessarily because it's doing harm, but because it's making your dd uncomfortable. After you heal you should be able to tolerate it no problem. Food isn't designed to hurt us-not real, live, whole food anyway. After you finish with the program you should tolerate properly prepared real foods without an issue (unless you have CD, which there is still debate about. I'm not 100% convinced yet.) That's why the SCD is great. We did it with known allergens and recovered. THere was some discomfort (in the form of gas and behavioral stuff-oh and sleep stuff) for a bit, but they no longer have the avacado-carrot-pea-coconut-plum-banana-etc. allergies that they did. Once the gut heals, you stop leaking proteins. Once you stop leaking proteins the allergies go away. HTH.
#470 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 01:33 AM

Are any of you familiar with different types of adrenal support?

I'm looking at this:

http://www.vitaminlife.com/product-e...oduct_id/31671

and this:

http://www.herballegacy.com/id500.htm

Any recommendations? Thoughts?
#471 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 12:52 PM

:
Just subbing because I need to start working on dd1 and my gut healing shortly after we move into our new house at the end of May.
#472 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 05:15 PM

Hi ladies,
Just received my NT book!!! I'm reading voraciously.....
So I've committed to starting SCD on Monday for one month - minus the dairy, so I can be confident that the acne isn't somehow dairy-related. Was anyone else hesitant to eat beans in the intro-SCD diet? I've heard so much about how hard they are to digest (but maybe only unsprouted....Haven't gotten to that chapter yet), that I'm worried about eating them during such an otherwise restrictive diet. Any comments? Pattlya, I wish I had some advice about the "yogurt-gone-wrong" - However, I'm a health inspector and most of what I'm learning and considering is completely against everything I'm taught professionally anyway. All that to say, your local health department is not the place to get advice about what to do with your yogurt batch I suspect, though, that since the ferment conditions weren't there to control pathogen risk, it may be risky to try the process over with the same raw milk.
On that note, I went to a training today on pool chlorination, where the mantra was "the law says 1 ppm, but we always recommend 3!". DH and I often play a game of "what is commonplace now that we'll look at in 20 years and think 'What were we thinking?'" Pool chlorination and birth control pills top my list....
#473 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 05:23 PM

hey! need to "lurk in here for a bit and trying ot not feel overwhelmed. I need to do this for my dd's health.

Be Well.
#474 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 05:33 PM

shanna--you're not supposed to do beans in the beginning (they're for advanced SCD'ers)
#475 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000
"what is commonplace now that we'll look at in 20 years and think 'What were we thinking?'" Pool chlorination and birth control pills top my list....
Attached garages. But that's totally OT

I didn't even know you could get a chlorine filter for the shower! Dd's very sensitive to Cl. I'll have to look into this. Also, I know some pools are starting to use bromine or even salt - I just moved to a different city, I'll have to look into what they use around here.
#476 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 07:14 PM

So incredibly behind, but still lurking on the thread...

We have a vitamin C shower head plus bath tablets. It neutralizes the chlorine and is reported to be quite effective. Google "vitashower" for more info, I can't remember where we got it from.
#477 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 08:56 PM

This whole chlorine issue has me very interested. Dh and I talked about switching - we, of course, use all the typical pool chemicals in ours. YK, I suspected the that the chlorine was affecting dd but NEVER thought of it affecting her gut flora! Totally makes sense now.

I just ordered JR's Patient Heal Thyself to read more about it (and his take on all this). If anyone has any other info. or links I'd love to read them.

I gave dd some of my yogurt for the first time this morning and she liked it. She actually had 2 good poopies today AND an hour and a half nap. Is this coincidence? I don't think it is. I gave her some more at dinner time too. So far, no adverse affects.
#478 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toraji
So incredibly behind, but still lurking on the thread...

We have a vitamin C shower head plus bath tablets. It neutralizes the chlorine and is reported to be quite effective. Google "vitashower" for more info, I can't remember where we got it from.
So I'm looking at all of these different showers and how does one choose? Each says the other's technology is bunk, essentially - and of course they do, they have a product to sell! Anyone know of an unbiased assessment of the different ones? I want to buy one of these like yesterday. Aquasana offers a satisfaction guarantee or money back and has all sorts of awards, but the vitashower uses Vitamin C and well, for natural living I can't argue with that. Aquasana also has a seemingly pretty good deal on a water filter - not RO, leaves the minerals in, but I'm not sure about fluoride, I'm waiting for them to email me back.

Anyone know anything about RO vs filtered leaving the minerals in? We currently have RO.

Is this OT? I feel like it's not but I don't want to de-rail the thread. I mean, minerals are important, right?
#479 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 09:44 PM

JaneS (or whoever knows)...how can I treat eczema? One of the rashes on DD's butt has been tentatively diagnosed as eczema and I can't figure out how to treat it. We do CD and also EC--she is mostly dry and gets a fair amount of air time, besides.

Could enzymes make the eczema worse? I started taking 1/4 cap of Digest Gold with 2 meals a day a couple of days ago and today DD's rash looks pretty bad.
#480 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
shanna--you're not supposed to do beans in the beginning (they're for advanced SCD'ers)
Thank you! I thought it sounded weird......
I'm confused then about trusting the website about what is allowed or not allowed (can't afford (new) or find (library) the book): It says specifically that beans are okay, except for chickpeas, soybeans, and a couple of others.
I should be okay if I just stick to meat, fresh veggies and eggs.... I guess I'll have to dig deeper online for the intro diet to make sure the nuts and nut butters that I was counting on are okay......

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page