Healing the Gut Tribe.......April - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, look what I found - a thread discussing chlorine in the bath!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=425602
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 09:58 PM

I also wonder about how much chlorine we really have in our water at home. I guess it's worth testing.

ETA: I'm going to use our pool kit and test our water tomorrow.

DDs take swim lessons at the Y and I've been wondering if an epsom salt bath afterward would help with the chlorine exposure. ???? Only one more week of swim lessons anyway . . .
#483 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
JaneS (or whoever knows)...how can I treat eczema? One of the rashes on DD's butt has been tentatively diagnosed as eczema and I can't figure out how to treat it. We do CD and also EC--she is mostly dry and gets a fair amount of air time, besides.
I read on Curezone that using Burt's Bees Baby Bee products was very effective - especially the lotion, keeping the area moisturized. Also lansinoh for smaller areas or the weleda baby cream. TTO is a great antibacterial but I'd dilute it in another oil.
#484 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 10:08 PM

Whoa......
So I had decided to do the SCD diet for 1 month (admittedly, I haven't read the book ). I had consulted their site for legal/illegal foods, understood the philosophy behind the restrictions, thought I was good to go, and am just now stumbling upon the intro diet. Ho.Lee.Cow.
They talk about doing the intro diet for 5 days and monitoring for symptoms - does anyone have any advice about using the intro diet for symptoms like severe acne that a)are not obviously GI and b) take longer to show themselves? Feeling a little surprised.......
On one hand, I've wondered if the intro diet is less appropriate for my situation because I don't have severe GI symptoms (cramping, diarrhea) per se, but on the other hand.....a need for healing is a need for healing.
Any advice? Feel like I just got clobbered over the head :
#485 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 10:08 PM

caedmyn, I use acid mantle on all the things that nothing else seems to work for like yeast rashes, and excema. You have to get it from a pharmacist but don't need a prescription. My pharmacist had to order it for me and just fyi - - a little goes a long way so you don't need much. I've also read that some people use it for age spots and wrinkles.
#486 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000
Whoa......
So I had decided to do the SCD diet for 1 month (admittedly, I haven't read the book ). I had consulted their site for legal/illegal foods, understood the philosophy behind the restrictions, thought I was good to go, and am just now stumbling upon the intro diet. Ho.Lee.Cow.
Where'd you find the intro diet? I am awaiting my book, too.
#487 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 10:12 PM

Shanna,
Same thing happened to me. I did not do the intro diet the way it was supposed to be done. I got the book late and well . . . by then it was too late.

I started by cooking, peeling and de-seeding everything and went very slowly. I saw results right away. I know others have posted about not doing the intro. according to the book too . . . I say try it and see. If you don't feel like you're making any progress you can always go back to the intro. diet.
#488 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 10:12 PM

shanna--you don't have to do the intro diet for 5 days, just do it for 2-3 days if you can, or only one if that's all you can take of it. I didn't have GI symptoms and I could only handle one day of the intro diet...and I did have die-off symptoms the next day so apparently it did something. You're supposed to start with nut butters (easiest to digest I guess) and actually are supposed to hold off on them for a little while, but I couldn't do it and started with them on day 2. People say you get better results if you do at least one day of the intro diet.
#489 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 10:50 PM

We just did one day on the intro diet and then added in one new food a day after that. I actually had constipation start up after we got started on scd. I have had that off and on my whole life but it was like every day for a week or more at the begining of scd. I drank a lot of prune juice. I think it is worth it because you know that the foods on the intro are very unlikely to cause reactions and you can then start from a clean slate looking for how well you tolerate foods. I used the list on Pecan bread to know what foods to do and how to get started. They have the intro diet there as well as the btvc web site has it.

I've been fogetting to do the gelatin. Just started pushing the broths and jello again. No stomach ache today at all. I'll probably start adding back suppliments tomorrow cause I have no energy. I think I'm missing my b-vitamins.

Just an update on dd. She had blueberries the other day (a favorite) and for the first time ever her poop didn't contain blueberry skins!!! Usually they come out looking a whole lot like when they went in. She is healing!!! Now if she would just get these last two molars in I think we might be getting a bit more sleep arround here...:

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#490 of 522 Old 04-28-2006, 11:28 PM

Thanks so much for all of the encouragement and support. I'm going to have to think about this - it's a lot to have sprung last minute, especially when I'm feeling so discouraged with even the advanced diet.
Here's where I found the intro diet info:
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...ntro_diet2.htm

I'm going to have to find that book somewhere tomorrow - feeling very unsure of myself now!
#491 of 522 Old 04-29-2006, 11:50 AM

Shanna- You really do need the book. Both for the info and the recipes. I thought I could do it from the info on websites alone but there is no way.

our family is <>< and :
#492 of 522 Old 04-29-2006, 12:41 PM

ITA-to do the program the book is necessary. Mine is so friggin' dog eared at this point! IT's a great resource ( as is Enzymes for Autism...)
#493 of 522 Old 04-29-2006, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000
Whoa......
They talk about doing the intro diet for 5 days and monitoring for symptoms - does anyone have any advice about using the intro diet for symptoms like severe acne that a)are not obviously GI and b) take longer to show themselves? Feeling a little surprised.......
On one hand, I've wondered if the intro diet is less appropriate for my situation because I don't have severe GI symptoms (cramping, diarrhea) per se, but on the other hand.....a need for healing is a need for healing.
Any advice? Feel like I just got clobbered over the head :
No it's not less appropriate b/c die off is die off too. You want to "clear the decks" as Elaine once put it.

See the Food Preparation Section of www.pecanbread.com for Beyond the Intro Diet chart. It's geared to dairy free obviously but some of the other things might be helpful.
#494 of 522 Old 04-29-2006, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
This whole chlorine issue has me very interested. Dh and I talked about switching - we, of course, use all the typical pool chemicals in ours. YK, I suspected the that the chlorine was affecting dd but NEVER thought of it affecting her gut flora! Totally makes sense now.

I just ordered JR's Patient Heal Thyself to read more about it (and his take on all this). If anyone has any other info. or links I'd love to read them.

I gave dd some of my yogurt for the first time this morning and she liked it. She actually had 2 good poopies today AND an hour and a half nap. Is this coincidence? I don't think it is. I gave her some more at dinner time too. So far, no adverse affects.
I'm reading PHT now and I like it better than Maker's Diet. But it's not really teaching me anything. However, I guess I'm further along after reading WAPF, NT and SCD. It would probably be good for a newbie.

I don't necessarily agree with everything he says though and I think he takes a lot from others without really explaining scientifically the "new things" he adds to them... like all his Perfect Food, Greens, this product, that product, etc. He has always turned me off as a marketing hawker. I'm just left wanting more more more explanations from him than he gives.

on the yogurt! Don't go too fast even if it's looks good so far, okay?
#495 of 522 Old 04-29-2006, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the comments re: Intro diet everyone, I think I will edit the Cheat Sheet to make that more easily apparent.
#496 of 522 Old 04-29-2006, 03:59 PM

For eczema, supplement with cod liver oil for a while and if that isn't helping some kids need just evening primrose or a combination of the 2. More info in The Eczema Tribe thread.

Also my DS's digestion has a lot to do with it. If his poops go to mush, the tops of his feet, the last remaining "hot spots", flare up. I wonder if the bacterial toxins produce this reaction, I don't really know for sure. I have seen others describe this type of reaction for yeast issues too, hot spots flaring with diet.
#497 of 522 Old 04-29-2006, 04:08 PM

Can I also just say I'm thoroughly blow away by all the "gut related" posts for help there are in this forum and elsewhere!

It feels like my little finger in a dam sometimes.

And very very frustrating that this stuff is not well known.
#498 of 522 Old 04-29-2006, 04:38 PM

I find myself constantly biting my toung when people mention issues that are gut healing issues but I know they will be unable to hear it. My nephew with terrible excema (I did talk to his mom but she thinks they can't afford it and his Dr said he will outgrow it.) My other nephew who isn't sleeping well, is anemic and has a reaction every time he takes iron. My brothers entire family who have serious anger/behavior issues and the youngest has a terrible immune system and gets everything under the sun and bad! (cp put him in the hospital at 4 years old). Not to mention the random strangers and others. I just wanna scream "what you are eating is killing you!"

We are having movement on the two remaining molars. The last few nights she has woken up crying in the middle of the night. I'm hopeful that this is a good sign. I'm so ready for these to be in and to be on a cleaner slate evaluating her health.

Gotta go.

our family is <>< and :
#499 of 522 Old 04-29-2006, 04:39 PM

Abnormal Gut Fermentation: Laboratory Studies reveal Deficiency of B vitamins, Zinc, and Magnesium
Authors: Eaton, Keith1; McLaren Howard, John2; Hunnisett, Adrian2; Harris, Malcolm3

Source: Journal of Nutritional & Environmental Medicine, Volume 14, Number 2, June 2004, pp. 115-120(6)

Abstract:

Gut fermentation in the colon is a normal phenomenon whereby soluble non-starch polysaccharides are metabolized to short-chain fatty acids. Abnormal fermentation may be associated with clinical symptoms and is generally assumed to take place in the small bowel. It may be established by ethanol production after a sugar challenge in the fasting subject, which produces maximum production of ethanol 1 hour after sugar challenge. This timing is compatible with the dose acting in the small bowel, but not the large. It was noted that patients with abnormal gut fermentation established by gut fermentation ethanol production tests tended to have low levels of vitamins and minerals, and it was therefore decided to make a prospective study of patients with the condition to determine if this was so.

Patients were tested for ethanol production together with standard functional analysis techniques for vitamins B1, B2, and B6 and zinc and magnesium concentrations by sweat analysis using air/acetylene flame atomic absorption. Fifty normal subjects (group A) were analyzed against 30 positive patients by alcohol testing (group B). Statistical analysis, using the Wilcoxon Sum of Ranks test, revealed a remarkable and consistently high difference for vitamins and minerals between the two groups. In group B, 19 of 30 patients had four of five or five of five nutrients abnormal, and no subject with a positive alcohol test had less than two abnormal nutrients.

It is concluded that the syndrome that causes abnormal gut fermentation appears to have adverse effects on levels of B vitamins, zinc, and magnesium. As yet it is not clear whether this is a result of malabsorption, over-utilization, or excessive excretion. The level of ethanol production in this condition is low, but the presence of the nutritional deficits implies that the syndrome may cause quite significant adverse effects on health. More research in this area is required to replicate and extend these studies.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...dtt04.victoria
#500 of 522 Old 04-29-2006, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
I just wanna scream "what you are eating is killing you!"
EXACTLY!

Speaking of this:
There's a great new book that is getting a lot of mainstream press right now, The Omnivore's Dilemma about grain fed vs. grassfed meat, et al. DH just gave me a write up that's in Business Week of all places and he also heard it on NPR this week too.

http://www.michaelpollan.com/article.php?id=71

I just love when he finds things to prove I'm not crazy
#501 of 522 Old 04-29-2006, 05:01 PM

I've got that book on my amazon wish list right now. I really, really want to read it.

our family is <>< and :
#502 of 522 Old 04-29-2006, 06:23 PM

Quickly and kinda OT.

Oh, and before I forget, thank you Jane for the response to my many questions. I've decided to go w/the New Chapter over the RM-10 as there was just too much 'stuff' in Rubin's. And the myleniated brown rice in the new chapter one is, (I think) what they ferment the mushrooms on...or something technical like that

My lil' guy is 17m and barely eating. Waiting on the food allergy and enviromental tests to come back (sleep apnea and very very frequent nightwaking gasping for air). Oh, he also has a lil' rash too (and he is EC'd) so probably the enzymes over here too Well, he just developed a umbilical hernia (he had surgery at 6w for an inguinal hernia), sigh. So another surgery might be in his future, but this is not life threatening like the inguinal one.

But I regress.

We had the house deleaded before I was pregnant w/him. New windows, gov't grant and loan, excellent program, certified lead abatement contractors. Well, he just got tested and his lead is at 14 (venous). His iron is at 11 (normal is 70-100) and hemoglobin is at 9. I need ideas. (And a bigger plate to put all of this one, mine's gettin' crowded ) We just bought the gluten-free floradix, floravital, and started that yesterday. He won't eat red meat (which I've been trying to push for weeks). I'm thinking about getting some organic grass-fed liver and after the 14 days of frozen, grating it up and just putting it on my finger and sneakin' it in his cheek (which works for everything). Our dr. wants to put him on a prescription iron supplement and while I understand that his iron is incredibly low, I'm not sure how a supplement that is ridiculously hard on his system and unabsorbable, will help. Not to mention the crap (and SCD illegials) that will be in it.

Sigh.
#503 of 522 Old 04-29-2006, 07:18 PM

Oh Amy!
I feel for you-yes, your plate is overflowing! I don't have much advice, but I will look forward to the responses you get as my guy is just a bit older and in the same boat with the iron and not eating.
Hugs,
#504 of 522 Old 04-29-2006, 10:47 PM

Grump, grump, grump.....:
I just spend 3 hours chasing Breaking the Vicious Cycle all over town, to no avail. I had to order it online, and it won't even ship until Wednesday
Can anyone help me out with part 2 of the diet? I'm so sorry to ask, but I'm in a bit of a bind.....
So I'm starting the intro diet on Monday (only the chicken broth w/carrots, broiled beef or fish, eggs, and Welch's Grape Juice - won't do any dairy or gelatin). I'm hoping to go until Friday on this, but righ now I can only bite off the idea of 2 days on this part of the diet. Where would I go from here? I don't expect to see any improvement yet after just 2 days since my issue is acne.....Can anyone help with the next step, just to get me through Friday or so? Does the next food to be added in depend on your situation? I would guess that certain fruits and veggies would be next......
I'm worried I'll lose momentum if I have to stay on the intro part until the book comes - I feel hungry just thinking about it....
#505 of 522 Old 04-29-2006, 11:04 PM

Shanna, after the intro diet I just added in one new food a day. the pecan bread link Jane provided in a couple posts back has a beyond the intro diet chart of what foods to add in first. Like applesauce or pearsauce and deseeded and skinless cooked zucchini and greenbeans. If you added in those one a day that week it should take you to Friday. I just made a soup out of the broth, chicken, zucchini, and green beans. I could eat that every day for lunch, so it doesn't feel too depriving. Dinner I have more problems with in the intro diet and snacks are sooo hard, especially if you are cutting out dairy. Why no gelatin? I never was a jello eater, but I love the stuff now after starting this diet and not much else to eat.

Hmmm I usually just ate yogurt for breakfasts. Maybe you could do broth? and your going to want to cook a lot of chicken if your going slow. When I started the intro the first time I was soooo sooo hungry all the time. the second and third time I've started the intro has been a lot better. And now I will also be starting it over again on Monday too for the 4th time. I fell of the wagon for my birthday. This time though I am determined to stick with it.
#506 of 522 Old 04-29-2006, 11:26 PM

If you don't do the gelitan it is very important that you make your own bone broths and drink them often. The natural gelitan in them will help with healing.

I think I added bananas next and then zuccini and probably spinach. Wintersquash is another good one to add early. Also apple sauce and pear sauce. You can make things with nut flour pretty early on too. Just pick a day when that is your new thing. Not sure which recipes don't have dairy though. Hold off on the coconut. I found that pretty hard to digest.

You can do it! Have you looked into doing goat yougart when you do decide to introduce some dairy? It is easier to digest and often it is easier to find local sources of raw goat milk than raw cow since it requires much less space to raise them.

our family is <>< and :
#507 of 522 Old 04-29-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
Well, he just got tested and his lead is at 14 (venous). His iron is at 11 (normal is 70-100) and hemoglobin is at 9. I need ideas. (And a bigger plate to put all of this one, mine's gettin' crowded ) .
How about cooking absolutely everything in cast iron?
#508 of 522 Old 04-29-2006, 11:54 PM

Hey Shanna & Artisticat-I am starting on Monday as well! Let's help each other!

I started about a month ago-thought it was a great idea to just jump in and start the entire family (all five kids) and DH on it at once-not such a good thing. We lasted for about ten days-then moved to NT-added soaked grains.

I am still BF'ing my 25 month old and he is really struggling. I have to do this for him-now! I am roasting up a big old chicken tomorrow, will make broth after we eat the meat. It is my goal to do the intro for at least three days-then add one cooked veggie/fruit each day after that.

Gelatin ?-I am assuming we are not talking about Jello-is it the unsweetend boxed stuff? How do you eat this-sorry if this is the dumbest question. I did get some gelatin on my last two batches of broth-that was yummy.

Thanks!
#509 of 522 Old 04-30-2006, 01:05 AM

Shanna--if you like eggs they are good for breakfast. I ate deviled eggs w/homemade mayo and scrambled eggs w/a little water added instead of milk. I go through about 5 dozen eggs a week by myself since I started this!

If enzymes are making DD rashy, does that mean I can't do them at all, or do I just need to try different enzymes? I've been doing 1/4 cap of Digest Gold at 2 meals a day for the past 3 1/2 days. Today her rash was better when she woke up but around 3 I noticed it had flared up again--this was about 3 1/2 hours after the first time I had enzymes at a meal today. Is it possible for them to affect her that quickly?
#510 of 522 Old 04-30-2006, 10:57 AM

I know this is more appropriate for the SCD Chef's thread, but I need a quick response, so I figured this would be a better place:

Could someone please PM the ingredients for Lois Lang Bread?

My DP accidentally returned the book to the library yesterday, before I could write down the recipe. I need it for a family gathering we're having at 1 pm today! I'm going to be making the Onion Bun variation (for portabello burgers )

Thanks

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page