Healing the Gut Tribe.......April - Page 18 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#511 of 522 Old 04-30-2006, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zsel
Hey Shanna & Artisticat-I am starting on Monday as well! Let's help each other!
Yes, I could definately use a buddy on this!

Thank you SO much for the link to pecanbread - I'm trying to remember that I really need to read the book before I progress beyond stage 1 - hopefully the book arrives soon while morale is still high on initiating this

On the gelatin issue, I think I will go buy some - I was mostly concerned about availability, but I think the CoOp should have some. I think that and the grape juice will probably be my saving grace.

I am going to be starting the Garden of Life Omega Enzyme tomorrow (I think it's illegal?), but I did switch probiotics from the GOL to MegaFlora, which has rice starch in it. I couldn't locate any of the "legals" at the NFS last night, but I did take the advice about not using the homeostatic ones from GOL. I feel so uncertain about the priorities for me on this diet, since my issue isn't GI symptoms - Ideally, I'd like to follow it to the letter even on the supplements, but didn't have the luxury of being able to order them and wait.
#512 of 522 Old 04-30-2006, 08:05 PM

For the gelatin, you buy unsweetened, then use juice, and maybe a little honey (or, ack, saccharine) to sweeten it. There is one recipe on the box of Knox gelitan I have, and there are others out there. There use to be tons of them. I have a book, Mommy Made, that has some recipes with them, including one using broth as the base!

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#513 of 522 Old 04-30-2006, 10:32 PM

nicolena--just wanted to say that you are not the only one dealing with rashes caused by enzymes. My DD has eczema (I think that's what it is, anyway) on her butt and it has flared up since I started taking enzymes, and I am going really slowly with them. I've only added two new foods in the last week or so and I don't think the flare up is connected with either food (the timing doesn't seem right) so it must be the enzymes

JaneS--can I just take extra cod liver oil instead of giving it to DD for her eczema? I don't really feel comfortable giving supplements to a baby that's not even old enough for solids.
#514 of 522 Old 04-30-2006, 11:04 PM

Taking extra clo is a great way to get it into a nursling! You should be getting a minimum of 2 tsp of the high vitamin kind while nursing (approx 5000 of A per 1/2 tsp) I take 1 tbsp but my dd also takes clo (about 1tsp worth). If I were trying to heal a younger nursling w/ my bm I would be taking even more.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#515 of 522 Old 05-01-2006, 12:02 AM

Amy,

Have you had any other test results back on either you or your son? Do you have other health problems besides gut problems?

Amanda

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#516 of 522 Old 05-01-2006, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
Amy,

Have you had any other test results back on either you or your son? Do you have other health problems besides gut problems?

Amanda
Nope, we are pretty healthy. Except for the cancer of course We are probably some of the more healthier members of this thread. I do think all of our issues come back to the fact that *I* have a leaky gut--AND I AM TOTALLY TALKING ABOUT CANCER HERE. My immune system, while doable, could not cope. With the exceptions of the hernias in lil' DS2, I'm not taking the blame for that.

We are waiting on RAST results for both boys presently. I haven't done the minerals yet, nor the heavy metals, but I feel that I am deficient in selenium (another cancer issue) and magnesium. And I feel the boys might have some heavy metal stuff going on, besides the Lead.
#517 of 522 Old 05-01-2006, 04:31 PM

What if we adopted the pecanbread siggy rule and signed with whatever diet we are following and how long we have been doing it? I think that may help us talor responces to each other better w/o having to keep asking who is doing what and for how long etc.

Patty- Fanitical scd for 10 weeks w/ nursling dd and dh for candidia and suspected celiacs and other auto immune issues.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#518 of 522 Old 05-01-2006, 04:50 PM

Time for the May thread! I found it here:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=445508
#519 of 522 Old 05-06-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS

For those of you experiencing sensitivities with almonds... are they organic almonds?

I used to have a lot of problems with my throat swelling and closing up from certain "conventional" fruits (esp. apples) all my life. When I found organics, I was in heaven, no problems at all.
"Countless nutritionists and living foods experts have all stressed that it is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to germinate (soak) all nuts and seeds for at least 12 hours before consuming them.

Germination is a process where all the vitamins, minerals, proteins and essential fatty acids (EFAs) that are dormant in nuts and seeds begin to activate and multiply. Germination also eliminates certain toxins and acids within the dormant nuts and seeds that would interfere with digestion.
"
http://www.livingnutz.com/
#520 of 522 Old 05-15-2006, 08:10 PM

Hi all,

I've been lurking on these boards for a few weeks just trying to assimilate it all. I was hoping you kind ladies could help.

DS dx with milk allergy @7weeks with blood in his stools. Neocate started. 6m we started solids and he did great. At 9 months he reacted with rashes. We thought it was wheat since Cheerios was the last new food we had given. Took out, but rash still not completely gone. Finally took all solids out for 3 weeks (DS was 10m at this time). Rash went away.

Started one new food a week. Rice first week of March went fine, so did sweet potatoes. Green beans, peas and squash he got a rash on the 6-7 day of trial. Then slowly he started reacting to rice and sweet potatoes with the rash. I knew this because I stopped trialling other foods at the beginning of April.

He RAST neg and skin test negative in February.

Dx with delayed food allergies...non igE allergies.

So now at 12.5m we have pulled the two solids he could eat out. Per the ped/allergists at Stanford we are giving him 6m off solids.

I've been talking to a john's hopkins MD who also does homeopathic medicine. She thinks that DS has leaky gut syndrome. And that while 6m will help, if he eats any of the foods too often or in excess the sensitivities will come back.
She also agreed that don't worry about feeding him for the next few months and to give him gut rest. Which I geuss is what the allergist at Stanford Children's Hospital are saying in just a different way.

She said probiotics often help. I'm afraid that he'll be allergic to those too.

But I feel like the Stanford Doctors who while they acknowledge delayed food allergies say not much is known about them....aren't being pro active enough.

I know IgG testing is not as accurate but isn't it a starting pt? Isn't there something we can do?

I don't want to keep trying new foods b/c he is seeming to become allergic to everything with time. And I think the Stanford Doctors and Homeopathic/MD both think that resting his gut will help. But I am just so confused. Nobody I know has allergies and allergic to everything is blowing my mind!

I want to cry b/c he wants to eat and all I can give him is formula =(

I hope you could help. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

Arati
#521 of 522 Old 05-16-2006, 09:50 AM
EBG

Yes there is light! Please got to the May thread of healing the gut tribe.
Towards the end there are some success stories but most of the mamas are still in the middle of healing their babes. Also, the Healing the Gut tribe cheat sheet will answer your questions. Most of us follow the Specific carbohydrate Diet with Nourishing Traditions (book by Sally Fallon) principles. westonaprice.org, breakingtheviciouscycle.info, pecanbread.com

Food allergies are the result of leaky gut, because the undigested proteins leak throught the intestine to the blood where they are seen as invaders.
Do not feed your child sugar and grains! Baby's first food should be egg yolks after breastmilk. Not egg whites, though, because whites have a very difficult-to-digest protein. Yolks have fat and cholesterol and protein, vitamin A, B-s, D and minerals, just what baby needs.
Babies don't have the enzymes to digest carbohydrates.
Probiotics won't cause allergies but may cause a die-off reaction, the worsening of symptoms for a short time. That's because the pathogenic bacteria are dying and the body is trying to get rid of the toxins.

After the gut heals (may take months, years) allergies will go away most of the time.

You can find the intro diet on pecanbread.com, which is how you start the healing process, and you need to go slowly. Chicken broth and gelatin....

learn about enzymes (cheat sheet) and enzymestuff.com and how they can help digest food and reduce allergic reactions.

Probiotics- pecanbread.com has info on the age-appropriate versions that have no additives and are "legal" on this diet.

Supplement with cod liver oil if it's tolerated.
there's so much more but this is a good start...
#522 of 522 Old 05-16-2006, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
How about cooking absolutely everything in cast iron?
amy--my thoughts too. are you still nursing (can't remember what you decided)--how about adding dessicated liver to your supplementation regime? i'm taking 4/day (as per eflf), but i've thought about adding more, esp since dda is sick and ddb will probably get it.

which i could respond more. starting together is brilliant! i just kinda caedmyn and chasmyn bc i think they started around when we did.

so dda is sicjk, but she will take clo! she has horrible gas tho. and all she's really eating is my milk! agh! so i guess bad stuff is still getting in it. i guess i've been cheating too much with honey and dried fruit. so i'm cutting way back on homey and fruit for us all, tho i'm very sad about it. i guess i'll make gelatin again, tho it feels counterintuitive.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page