Red gums and white spots in mouth... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-04-2006, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Angelo has these in his mouth and his gums are really red. What can cause this?

We have been exposed to chicken pox, impentigo (sp?), and strep. He has no other spots anywhere, but Abby had a fever during the night and says it hurts when she swallows.

We have no health insurance so I am trying to work something out with our ped group to get them seen. We owe 175.00 from like 2 years ago. :

Any ideas?

Forgot to add: Angelo is not vaxed. Abby recieved vax up to about 12 months and nothing since.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#2 of 16 Old 04-04-2006, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Also....Friday and Saturday he had a fever. I thought he was getting his eye teeth, as he gets fevers when teething and usually teeths four at one time. No teeth showing yet though.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#3 of 16 Old 04-04-2006, 04:19 PM

Angelo is about 17 mo. Is he still nursing?

If so I would start to take large dose of Sodium Ascorbate Powder available in health food store. If you can't get it I would take Ascorbate C.

Also I would give him cod liver oil. There is some that tastes really good. Mercury free.

Do not give him anything with sugar (or aspartame or food coloring).
#4 of 16 Old 04-04-2006, 04:21 PM

If he is teething Hylands teething caps would help. Did you try any?

Let me look up strep throat. Although it is not like he'll need meds for that right away. We do develop immunity to strep.
#5 of 16 Old 04-04-2006, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Yes he is still nursing....A TON!

I am pregnant as well....about 9 weeks ( I think )

I will check at the natural food store for Sodium Ascorbate Powder and cod liver oil. Any specific brands I should look for?

#6 of 16 Old 04-04-2006, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti
If he is teething Hylands teething caps would help. Did you try any?

Let me look up strep throat. Although it is not like he'll need meds for that right away. We do develop immunity to strep.
Yes. That is what I gave him over the weekend. I love them! His gums were still quite red though, which I thought was odd.

I did not know you can build immunity to strep.

My mom has me totally paniced that I have to get them to the ped right away. That is why I posted here......to get some confidence that we can do this without the ped.

#7 of 16 Old 04-04-2006, 04:26 PM

Edited.
#8 of 16 Old 04-04-2006, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ighlight=Strep

Good link and description of strep.
Read it. Thanks.

#9 of 16 Old 04-04-2006, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
Yes he is still nursing....A TON!
Good! Than you can take averything.

If I were you, I would take 4 Tablespoon SA powder today. And Echinacea and cod liver oil. And if you can get some Sambucol that would be great. He will take the sambucol, it is sweet.

Quote:
I am pregnant as well....about 9 weeks ( I think )
Congrats!
None of that is bad for the fetus.

Quote:
I will check at the natural food store for Sodium Ascorbate Powder and cod liver oil. Any specific brands I should look for?
Cod liver oil must be from cold water Alaska and 95 + % organic. Mechanically pressed. And taste good because otherwise kids won't take it. Somewhere on there it has to say very low or no mercury or other heavy metals.

And the SA must also taste good - not salty.

I order mine on line so I can't help you there.
#10 of 16 Old 04-04-2006, 04:42 PM

I posted the wrong link about strep. I am searching for the one that described it much more... back later.

Wrong one again!
#11 of 16 Old 04-04-2006, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
AHhhh I posted the wrong link about strep. I am searching for the one that described it much more... back later.
I was kinda wondering. It didn't get into much detail.

Angelo also has two spots on his tongue that I just found

#12 of 16 Old 04-04-2006, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

The spots look like little sores

#13 of 16 Old 04-04-2006, 07:57 PM

How is he doing? Is he running a fever? I can't find the link, I've been searching ....

Did you start the SA?

How is he feeling overall?

I always see how the child feels overall. I he listless? Is he just crying? Or is he still playing? Never mind the eating...that doesn't matter.
#14 of 16 Old 04-05-2006, 07:56 AM

This really sounds to me like Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease ("HFM"). My DS just went through this! Sores in mouth, red swollen gums, feverish at times, and irritable?? Reduced appetite, and swallowing seems painful? These are all symtpoms of HFM. Hand, Foot and Mouth is caused by a coxsackie virus, an enterovirus, and can be spread from feces or from saliva.

DS started with the fever and crankiness and then developed the mouth sores and 2-3 red bumps on his face. The red bumps on his face then blistered and crusted over. He did not have any sores on his hands or feet, but it was Hand, Foot and Mouth nonetheless. Do the sores in his mouth look like canker sores, and does he have white bumps on his tongue?

Anyway, there really is not much that you can do except let it run its course. I give sambucol and astragalus on a regular basis, along with a vitamin C tablet made of sodium ascorbate. But he would not take the vitamin C tablet (which I crush for him) b/c it was too acidic and hurt his little mouth. Stay away from acidic and spicy foods! DS liked only cold and soft foods when the HFM was at its peak.

My pediatrician recommended swabbing his mouth with 1/4 teaspoon of Mylanta mixed with 1/4 teaspoon children's Bendryl, esp. before eating. The Mylanta is supposed to help dry up the sores, and the Benadryl is supposed to help with the mouth pain. I did this a few times, but not sure how much of a difference it made. If your child is old enough, he/she can swish the mixture in his/her mouth and then spit it out (my DS was not old enough to do this; he hated it when I tried to swab his mouth out!) Good luck! This is a nasty little virus, but I am sure your dc will bounce back quickly.
#15 of 16 Old 04-05-2006, 08:02 AM

P.S. This can cause them a lot of pain & result in very restless sleeping. My DS would just start crying and then point to his poor swollen, sore-ridden mouth. Tylenol or Ibuprofen can help with the pain; you do not need to give it for fever, but you can give it for the pain, if needed. Does anyone else have a more natural pain reliever for this type of issue?
#16 of 16 Old 04-05-2006, 11:04 AM

Good input Freeman.

How is he doing, AngelBee?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page