How long does croup last?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-05-2006, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd developed croup and RSV at the same time. That was 5 weeks ago. It was very bad the first week, but stabilized after that. She still has stridor when she cries. She still sounds very croupy in the morning with her voice, and she coughs a semi-wet cough starting in the wee hours of the morning until about 9AM, and then again after naps. Her ped is very conservative so she was not treated with steriods or anything else, because he felt it would go away on its own and was not life-threatening.

The thing is, she has allergies and she is supposed to start a new antihistamine for her allergies, but it has the side effect of helping to increase her hunger (she was born with muted hunger cues). It's called Periactin. I want to try this med but I can't as long as she's still coughing gunk, nor can I treat the allergies. The one day I put her on the med she ate really well but her cough got worse, like she was having trouble clearing the mucous out of her throat. Poor thing is practicially addicted to Vicks because it makes her itchy nose feel better temporarily.

I should take her back in the ped to ask about this, but every time we go she gets sick from the germs in the waiting room. I would rather ask here first. Should I give her more time to recover, or do you think there's something else going on that needs medical treatment? I thought maybe asthma was developing from RSV (it runs in my family) but the cough sounds more croupy to me. I am also wondering if it might be her throat swelling from acid reflux, but would that cause a mucousy cough? I have increased her Prilosec does and will wait and see on that. Her Ped GI heard her cough and didn't comment on it, and she's not complaining of her throat hurting.

Or maybe it's just croup. Does croup last this long? I thought it went away in a few days.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2006, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From what I remember, the main symptoms subside in a few days but there can be lingering symptoms for 3 weeks. She needs the chance to fully recouperate.

User Tag List