Mothering Forum banner

Can homeopathy change personality traits?

3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  twinkletoes 
#1 ·
I was just wondering whether homeopathy can help certain excesses of personality, like someone who is too critical, or irritable, or shyness etc.

I know that personality and someones nature is taken into account when choosing a remedy...so does it fix these problems too?

#2 ·
But standard homeopathic cautions apply. It's not a quick cure, it might take months. And you might address one thing, only to have a second, and then a third crop up.

In the course of infertility treatments I received remedies for low libido, and in the course of allergy treatments my DH was also treated for aspects of his Type-A drivenness.

HTH
KC

#4 ·
Alvie said:
I was just wondering whether homeopathy can help certain excesses of personality, like someone who is too critical, or irritable, or shyness etc.
I put "too" in bold up above, because we've found this to be the important word. When we started homeopathy with our daughter she was too anxious and too shy -- to the point where she was in tears much of the day and night. If we went out in public, it was worse. Now, she is a happy little girl. She is still reserved and considered "shy," and some things still make her anxious, but these traits no longer rule her life. For us, homeopathy has helped our daughter achieve her natural "balance."

#5 ·
Quote:
I put "too" in bold up above, because we've found this to be the important word. When we started homeopathy with our daughter she was too anxious and too shy -- to the point where she was in tears much of the day and night. If we went out in public, it was worse. Now, she is a happy little girl. She is still reserved and considered "shy," and some things still make her anxious, but these traits no longer rule her life. For us, homeopathy has helped our daughter achieve her natural "balance."
How true!

Homeopathy shouldn't be used to alter one's personality, but it can bring balance to traits that are unhealthy.

#6 ·
Thank you...

Now the task of finding that 'constitutional remedy'...is this best left to a professional homeopath (we are in a rural area and I don't know of any nearby, plus it would take alot of persuading to get dh to consider having a professional consultation)

Are there any good books on choosing remedies for a number of health concerns: My dh has the following symptoms:
The main physical symptoms are:

Terrible burning indigestion after most meals but especially bread, oatmeal, grains in general...but seems to be worse with stress and anxiety. If he is stressed or anxious about something, he sometimes gets loose bowels.

Aches and pains in his joints, knee, shoulder, lower back (he has lead a very active life...black belt karate, mountain climber, weight training, and has sustained a few injuries in the past...these seem to be the worst.

Excessive tirednesss, epecially after eating...has to have a daily afternoon nap or he gets really lethargic and would have to be in bed by 9pm. Sometimes feels tired after waking. Has had this problem since childhood.

Headaches, dull throbbing maybe 3 times a week (he drinks coffee daily, and if he skips coffee, he will get a headache....)

The more psychological symptoms are:
Feelings of discontentment with life, sometimes suicidal thoughts when it gets really bad. He is in a limbo at the moment with the direction his life is going...and this seems to make symptoms worse.

He can get really critical and get angry when provoked.

I am researching homeopothy and in the baby stages, so if there are a few remedies that these symptoms might match, I would be greatful so I could research them more fully. Is more info required?

Thank you to all those who may read this!

#7 ·
I would add food allergies and leaky gut to the list! Those are easy to treat on your own (especially on this board) and all of his symptoms apply.

Homeopathy works to bring you into balance. It won't change your personality, but will mellow things out and make the symptoms more "reasonable" for lack of a better word. You really do need a practitioner for good results.

Bach Flowers are great as well and can help you. You don't need a practitioner for them.

#9 ·
Just wanted to add that there are thousands of homeopathic remedies, new ones are always being proven. Books just give you acute type symptoms and clearly tell you that you need a practitioner for constitutional treatment. It's also not based on his symptoms, per se. It's about how he personally reacts to the stressors-and to go one step deeper, it's about the non-human traits. To really get help homeopathically you need a good doc.

Honestly though-every one of his symptoms are linked to a damaged gut. Every one. It would be a much quicker journey.

#10 ·
If you are having trouble locating a practitioner I may be able to help you. You can look at www.homeopathic.org, too, they should have a listing for your area. Let me know if you have trouble. I'd offer to take his case but I am really only qualified for acute cases, I am still in school for homeopathy. Good Luck getting him to comply, homeopathy is very effective, what are his objections? If you know what he objects about it you can try to rebuttal him. (LOL at sales training)

#11 ·
Mine's more than a thousand miles away, in a different country even. In three years of treatment, we've never met. It's all been done by telephone.

That's one of the great things about homeopathy. It's done through interviews, not exams and tests. In a lot of ways, given the very personal nature of my issues (infertility - lots of female stuff), I was very glad not to have to look the doctor in the face. He knows stuff about me even my husband doesn't know (blush).

I should say that I'm talking about classical homeopathy. There's a new flavor of it out there whereby the "doctor" (and I use that term loosely) hooks you up to a machine that "reads" your body and spits out a remedy. Personally, I don't trust that technique at all (YMMV).

KC

#12 ·
Quote:
Mine's more than a thousand miles away, in a different country even
May I ask what country? I heard the homeopaths in India are incredible and don't need nearly as long of an interview as a U.S. homeopath.

I know lots of homeopaths that prefer a face to face consult because one's appearance, expressions, and mannerisms leave clues to one's remedy.

#14 ·
Thank you so much for your responses ladies...

You know firefaerie, the leaky gut think does actually make alot of sense, I wonder why I didn't think of that before, but looking at his symptoms, and moods, it seems to fit. I'll have to go over and read the 'healing the gut tribe' thread now....its a long one! I'm starting to add some NT ideas slowly into our diet, I've got my first batch of sourdough going now...hopefully that will help on the grains issue, and I'm sure some sourkraut (sp?) would help, to add some good bacteria. I know its the sort of thing hubby will like. (Homemade kefir on the other hand...will need to disguise that one)
Does a leaky gut cause burning indigestion? I was thinking he had excessive stomach acid or something like that...? He's always had stomach trouble, and his father has too.

Thank you hypnohobbit for you generous offer, that was very thoughtful....I will definately look for a homeopath nearby...hubby is the type to not make a fuss of himself or spend money on his health, so I'll need to persuade him that it is indeed worth it. Maybe if I explain the far reaching benefits this sort of treatment would have, on his peace of mind etc, he might go for it.

Where are you studying by the way...I am very interested in taking a homeopathy course...is yours a good one?

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hypnohobbit
May I ask what country? I heard the homeopaths in India are incredible and don't need nearly as long of an interview as a U.S. homeopath.

I know lots of homeopaths that prefer a face to face consult because one's appearance, expressions, and mannerisms leave clues to one's remedy.
Canada. Not nearly that exotic.

I don't really know what my doc "prefers". I'm too far away to make a face-to-face feasible, unless it's a dire situation, so we never even discussed it.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hypnohobbit
How true!

Homeopathy shouldn't be used to alter one's personality, but it can bring balance to traits that are unhealthy.
I see how this makes sense, my mom(a homeopathic doctor) told me this as well, I think it also has to do with eating habits.

ill ask her more about this tho as well, as it is an intresting topic.

#18 ·
your dh has most of the same symptoms I used to have. I was a mess. I haven't tried homeopathy, but am sure a skilled practitioner would be great. three main things helped me tremendously:

-chinese herbal teas improved my energy levels and immunity immediately. I could make it through the day with vigor and stopped getting whatever cold was around. initially I went to the TCM doctor once a week, but after 3 weeks or so it dropped to once every few months. very helpful on so many levels, life is so much easier when you're not sick & have some energy.

-bikrams hot yoga, aside from helping my body feel strong and limber and able, makes me a happier and more patient person. I don't actually go very often (like ~20 times a year), but if I start getting angry/frustrated I know it's time for a yoga cure - it gets the energy flowing!

-the specific carbohydrate diet was/is dramatic in affecting my mental health, let alone my digestive health. Turns out that when my digestion is peaceful, so is my emotional life. Since starting this diet I feel so much more able to make positive choices for myself, have dreams and goals, and just generally make it through the day with joy.

So I would say my personality has changed, and would speculate that the gentle, healthful changes of homeopathy and self-care could bring out the best in your dh too.

#20 ·
Hi again,

The specific carbohydrate diet...hmmm...I'm going to look into that. Have not heard much about it. I know it will take dh some adjustment in his thinking, he has gone through life not bothering much about his health, but it seems things are starting to catch up a bit...he's feeling things in his physical and emotional being much more lately.

I have been reading a bit about enzyme therapy from one of those links posted...perhaps that with some changes to his diet might help. It just takes a bit of time I guess.

Once again, thank you for your help. It has taken me on a different path in my research...
I also think it's very interesting how our moods are so effected by digestion, and what's happening in our guts...I bet most people have never even thought they may be linked..how many doctors out there realize this?

#21 ·
I know there are so many tips online about the SCD, but I wanted to add my personal pitch for how easy it has been to convert my family to ~95% SCD foods. ...my dh was very sceptical at first, so I focused on switching his comfort foods. So I switched to rice noodles then spagetti squash for pasta & with enough cheese
he's totally pleased (and wants starch less and less). All the taco fillings over romaine lettuce instead of taco shells. lima bean puree instead of mashed potato. homemade yogurt. delicious almond baked goods! Really it's been simple, especially as you seem to cook/bake already, and gradual changes will have good effects. I don't follow it strictly but still feel great benefits, and it's very nourishing for all of us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.