Mamas with type 1 diabetes - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 267 Old 06-16-2006, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
~pi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Things are OK, thanks. Still no babe, but still 11 days on the clock, too. I have a good feeling about Tuesday/Wednesday for some reason. (Although possibly because those are the dates I picked on the calendar way at the beginning of the pregnancy.)

I'm continuing to do a bunch of encouraging of the babe in various ways. S/he had another 8/8 BPP this morning, and my insulin needs seem pretty stable. My cervix is apparently quite soft, and I'm about 50% effaced, so that's a good sign, I think. I am planning to spend the weekend not stressing about it at all.

How is everything going with your new little one?

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#122 of 267 Old 06-16-2006, 04:00 PM

~pi glad to hear things have calmed down and that your body is getting prepared. Sending you relaxing, come out soon baby vibes

I have a happy update also - the backup sOB agreed to let me use my pump during labor!!! The mw I love did end up talking to him about it - I think she felt bad because I was crying at my last appt. I just get really overwhelmed with the medical intensity of this pregnancy sometimes - the bi-weekly nst + afi, monthly growth scan, monthly endo appt... and so on.
#123 of 267 Old 06-16-2006, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahmom
I have a happy update also - the backup sOB agreed to let me use my pump during labor!!! The mw I love did end up talking to him about it - I think she felt bad because I was crying at my last appt.
EJ, that's fantastic!! Way to go for continuing to go for something that's important to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahmom
I just get really overwhelmed with the medical intensity of this pregnancy sometimes - the bi-weekly nst + afi, monthly growth scan, monthly endo appt... and so on.
Oh, I so hear you. (And I'm jealous ... you only have monthly endo appointments? Mine started out at twice a week and are now once a week. Ugh.)

#124 of 267 Old 06-22-2006, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter
~pi

Well, the Tuesday/Wednesday didn't happen, obviously. I am somewhere between 50-70% effaced (depending on which MW I ask), 1-2 cm dilated and the babe was at station -1 although s/he seems to have moved up a little again, judging by how little breathing space I have.

I'm really feeling the pressure right now, and it's really getting to me that I feel great, I'm happy to be pregnant, and if it weren't for the type 1, I'd be more than happy to carry the babe for as long as s/he wants. I'm doing so much stuff to try to nudge my body into labour, and I just feel so badly about it.

#125 of 267 Old 06-22-2006, 11:14 PM

Maria,
Wow, I must have missed a reminder around here.
Glad to hear that you're still goin' - I guess!
Sending you : : for the

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#126 of 267 Old 06-23-2006, 12:15 PM

Maria - how frustrating to be 'on the clock' with a first baby since they often do take their precious time coming

Are you past your edd now? How much longer will they wait?

I know it's probably the last thing you want to hear, but it's very encouraging that you are effaced and dilated - should it come to a chemical induction perhaps something less harsh like cervadil will do the trick just fine without further, harsher intervention.

Sending you 'come out baby' and peaceful birthing vibes. Keep us posted...
#127 of 267 Old 06-24-2006, 11:30 AM

Hi Maria,

Hang in there. You are doing so great keeping yourself and your baby healthy. Try not to worry, and don't feel bad. Remind yourself that you've done everything you can, you have a great medical team, and that baby is doing just fine. Whatever your birth experience, it will be the best one possible for you and baby. Sending prayers for a gentle birth.

By the way, I can't remember where I read this recently (maybe here), but in case you haven't heard about this...Bathing newborns can lower their blood sugar since it takes a lot of energy for them to warm up again. Another good reason to postpone it.

xo, Colleen
#128 of 267 Old 06-24-2006, 03:01 PM

A cheer for Maria:
Go baby, go baby, go, go, go baby !

: : : :

#129 of 267 Old 06-24-2006, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
~pi

Thanks, all, I will definitely keep you posted.

Tricia, that made me smile. Thanks! .

#130 of 267 Old 06-27-2006, 06:45 PM

So how is everyone doing? Anything new, Maria? How are you feeling Rachel? Katherine?

Life with baby is wonderful. So far, I've only had a couple of rough nights. Last night was the first time we had a lot of unexplained crying, but then when she finally settled around 11, she slept through til 4:30. Dd is such a different baby than ds was. Actually, she's been sleeping so much that I'm tempted to weigh her again. But on the other hand, I think I did best with ds when I relaxed and let him set his own schedule, and trusted that he'd eat when he was hungry and sleep when he was tired.

I had been hoping not to worry about dd getting diabetes, but I've already tested her blood sugar (after a day of lots of sleeping and not much eating). I'd sure love to just forget that there's a chance that she'll get it, too, and not reach for the meter every time she sleeps, eats, pees, or cries a little more than it seems like she should.

Take care everyone.
#131 of 267 Old 06-27-2006, 07:52 PM

I've been battling strep throat and feeling horrible. Sugars still screwed up, as is my thyroid. No money so we can't pay bills but that isn't diabetes or health related. Met with the superintendent of DS1's school today, it didn't go as planned. Blerg.

Betty *(.)(.)* mama to: DS1 (12) DS2 (11) DS3 (8)
(12/26/06) (5/11/09) (10/7/09)x2

#132 of 267 Old 06-27-2006, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hope I'm not diabetic. I never noticed this thread before, but it's very apt today.

My mother is diabetic, and she was here watching the kids today. Before she left, she took her blood sugar to see if she should eat before she left. On a whim, I test mine, too. It was 79. This was a few hours after a lunch of turkey sandwich and a nectarine. Should I be worried? We just started ttc, should we wait until after I talk with my doctor?
#133 of 267 Old 06-27-2006, 10:44 PM

I think I read too many different boards!

I'm still around and preggo. I've got an induction scheduled for Monday of next week. I'm excited that I managed to get a couple extra days (that puts me at 40w2d). It was cool of my OB to do that. Her reasoning was that my Bishop's score was so crappy that my chance of an induction failing earlier was too great. Since the practice really doesn't like to induce or perform C-sections she felt giving me a few extra days was the best choice. Even given that Batboy is estimated to be in the >90th% range. But my BP, NSTs, fluid levels and placenta all seem to be doing well, so there doesn't seem to be much extra risk.

I've been having what I assumed is pre-labor or early labor for a couple of weeks. I've been having a lot of frequent contractions that don't quit from either water or changing my activity. But, they only managed to dilate me to about 1 cm and my cervix is still high and not at all effaced. I've had two days of acupuncture treatment. Tonight I've been having some sit up and take notice contractions, so I'm hoping that's helping. I've got one more acupuncture adventure tomorrow and I'm thinking I'll spend a lot of time walking the mall. We're gonna go and try to get the logistics of sex worked out shortly and see if that moves things along.

I feel like an induction would work well at this point, but I really want the chance to labor at home for as long as possible, off the hospital's time clock. I'm sure you guys understand!

I'll take all the labor vibes you want to send me!
#134 of 267 Old 06-28-2006, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie128
I hope I'm not diabetic. I never noticed this thread before, but it's very apt today.

My mother is diabetic, and she was here watching the kids today. Before she left, she took her blood sugar to see if she should eat before she left. On a whim, I test mine, too. It was 79. This was a few hours after a lunch of turkey sandwich and a nectarine. Should I be worried? We just started ttc, should we wait until after I talk with my doctor?
79 is well w/in the normal range.
#135 of 267 Old 06-28-2006, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleen95
79 is well w/in the normal range.
My mother said the normal range is 95 to 130. What's a good website where I can research this? Thanks.
#136 of 267 Old 06-28-2006, 11:08 PM

Hi there,

If you're concerned about your blood sugar being too low, look up hypoglycemia. But that number is fine, honest: I'd feel great with it! You can look at the Diabetes association - they might have range info. Don't have it on hand at the moment.

Your mom might be referring to "normal for diabetics". We have to work to keep our blood sugar within a certain target range. Usually our target is a bit higher than the average person, so that we don't accidentally give ourselves too much insulin and then end up with seriously low blood sugar (like, 30s or 40s).

Colleen: I hear you with the worry. We tried to do dd's blood sample for Trialnet, and she has small veins, so it didn't work. How did you manage it? I check her blood sugar too. Do you know what is normal for a small child - the same as an adult? Hard to find a time when she is "fasting" since she is an all night nurser...

On a lighter note, does anyone know if there are toy meters and lancing devices out there? Dd loves mine and likes to play with the lancing device. Odd kid. Maybe I will just get her one. Hopefully she will never need a real one. I guess she is fascinated with anything mommy has. She likes the pump, too, but I don't let her play with that!

Rachel, sorry to hear of your strep - ick!

#137 of 267 Old 06-29-2006, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widemouthedfrog
On a lighter note, does anyone know if there are toy meters and lancing devices out there? Dd loves mine and likes to play with the lancing device. Odd kid. Maybe I will just get her one. Hopefully she will never need a real one. I guess she is fascinated with anything mommy has. She likes the pump, too, but I don't let her play with that!
My oldest son used to beg me to test his bloodsugar. DS2 has never liked it much because I test him fairly frequently (he dehydrates easily and when he's making up for it I always get worried about him drinking a ton). DS3 likest to play with my pump and I sometimes let him since there isn't much he can do without me knowing.

Betty *(.)(.)* mama to: DS1 (12) DS2 (11) DS3 (8)
(12/26/06) (5/11/09) (10/7/09)x2

#138 of 267 Old 06-29-2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Colleen: I hear you with the worry. We tried to do dd's blood sample for Trialnet, and she has small veins, so it didn't work. How did you manage it? I check her blood sugar too. Do you know what is normal for a small child - the same as an adult? Hard to find a time when she is "fasting" since she is an all night nurser...
When ds was in the trigr study, our coordinator called around to find a lab and phlebotomist who was especially good with babies. And she is great. We all go to her now. She could draw ds's blood at 3 mos. Is your dd drinking water yet? It helps to get them well hydrated first. The only time we couldn't get a sample from ds was when he was dehydrated. We also use a topical anaesthetic on his arm first, and that helps with pain. Your ped could prescribe one for you. As far as I know, children's bg is similar to ours. I guess it would get my attention if it ran over 125-130 more than once.

Quote:
Do you have an old one that could be all hers? I let ds play with our meters and pumps. He likes to pretend to give himself insulin and check his bg.
#139 of 267 Old 06-29-2006, 09:46 AM

Tricia what about this guy? http://www.fifty50pharmacy.com/index...r/PUMPERNICKEL

He doesn't have a meter or lancing device but he's got a pump and a 'nifty' fanny pack
#140 of 267 Old 06-29-2006, 10:25 AM

Awww, that's a cute little monkey. Maybe next year, when she's more into dolls, I will get her one. She currently enjoys pushing buttons, so I figure hands off the pump for now. However, perhaps I will find an old lancing device and sacrifice an old meter to the cause....

Yeah, dd's blood sugar has been in the 100-115 range. I don't test it often, and I know breastmilk is likely higher glycemic, though I guess it is fairly fatty too. And she always has some of that in her.

We now have that numbing stuff. She drinks some water, but I will also nurse first. I hadn't looked at her veins before, but she really doesn't have obvious veins, so I think that is a bit of an issue! I, on the other hand, have lovely ones, just right for blood tests...

#141 of 267 Old 07-05-2006, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
~pi

Life has been a little crazy, but I have a minute now so wanted to let you all know that I had a boy, 9 lbs 4 oz., on June 29 via emergency C-section. I was induced on June 27 at 40w.

The birth experience had pretty much everything that I didn't want, but I really feel like I gave it my absolute level best and just had a few too many things not go my way. Everyone at the hospital was very respectful of my wishes and preferences, but after all my hopes that my body was ready to go, it just wasn't. I ended up with a raging infection and fever of 104, never got past 6 cm, and then finally after a lot of DS not looking too good but holding off from doing anything because the tests were conflicting, he had a very obvious decel following a contraction, and we were off for an emergency C.

My sugars were great throughout the labour, controlled by me and DH. When it came time for the C-section, the endocrinologist on call, who I previously disliked and now actively loathe, ordered an IV drip instead, turned the insulin up too high, I crashed, and then they brought me up way too high. When the baby was born, he was covered in meconium, so I got to hold him for about 30 seconds and then he went off the NICU right away, where they tested his sugar and found that it was 25. It was stable after they treated that, but he still spent the first 1.5 days of his life in the NICU. I wasn't allowed to go down for the first 12 hours, although I did get to see him briefly when the nurses wheeling me from surgery to recovery very kindly took me to the NICU for a few minutes first.

DH was with him from birth and they fed him the colostrum that I had been pumping ahead of time, which makes me cry every time I think about it. (They were so careful about that -- labeled the container, made sure it went with him, etc.) Unfortunately for us, after that, they plied him with formula like there was no tomorrow, so we struggled a lot to get breastfeeding going, but thanks to my MWs and the hospital breastfeeding clinic, I think we have really turned the corner (touch wood). We just had our first 24 hour period with no supplementation at all. Especially since the birth was so hard on him, it means so much to me to be able to nurse him.

He is gorgeous, and I am tired, but happy.

#142 of 267 Old 07-05-2006, 10:03 AM

Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful son! We've been waiting to hear from you. I'm sorry you had a difficult birth, but you're so right that you did your best, and not everything can be in our control. Best wishes with breastfeeding. I'm sure things will get easier every day. Take care and enjoy your baby. xoxo, Colleen
#143 of 267 Old 07-06-2006, 11:16 PM

Congratulations, Maria! What a beautiful boy....

We also had trouble breastfeeding at the beginning, for the same reason - after a number of difficult weeks, it did get better. Remember that you're both learning!

I am sorry to hear that the birth didn't work out as planned, but I'm glad to hear that your son is healthy. Since Lauren was born, I've been so glad that the majority of my parenting decisions are no longer influenced by the fact that I have diabetes. It's a factor, but not the deciding one.

#144 of 267 Old 07-09-2006, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
~pi

Thanks, Colleen and Tricia. Bfing is definitely going well now ... little man loves to nurse! Last time we checked, he was gaining an average of 31 g (about 1 oz) a day, which makes me feel really good. I've been adjusting my basals lower and lower because lactating is taking so much energy! It's slightly weird to be back down to pre-pg TDD or lower.

Katherine, how are things?

Erica, how is the home stretch going?

Rachel, how are you?

#145 of 267 Old 07-10-2006, 03:09 PM

Maria congratulations!!! He is gorgeous!! (Ya know I replied to this thread a few days ago and it's missing - and my post count is different too - verrrrrry strange) Anyway I'm so sorry things didn't go the way you had hoped. Take care of yourself - I had a traumatic birth with #1 (not a c-sec but a really tough induction) and it took a long time for me to get past it. I'm glad to hear that he is nursing like a champ now too.

Things here are good - I'm 33 weeks and have those good ol' biweekly nsts. But baby is head down (yay) and likely to stay that way. AF level is good. I'm still needing to adjust my insulin almost daily which is frustrating but just part of the deal I suppose... Not much excitement yet - which is good!
#146 of 267 Old 08-03-2006, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter
~pi

Just checking in ... how are things, EJ? Everyone else? Katherine, did you have your babe?

Life is good here ... I seem to have finally got my basals and ratios set properly for bfing and am no longer having so many lows.

I'm finding it challenging to keep on top of testing, changing my set, etc. while caring for DS. I was absentminded enough before he arrived!

Hope everyone is well!

#147 of 267 Old 08-11-2006, 08:13 PM
kpt

Hello my name is nick and i am a DH. my wife has type 1 diabetes and i am doing a major "screening" of info reguarding birth and how we can have a natural homebirth. there is so much negative nfo out there that neither one of us want her filled with that energy. any information would be great at this point. we are due somewhere in march and obviously are only about a month and a half in. i have spent the last few hours reading all your posts and i truly appreciate everything that you all are doing. rachel and i are very excited to be bringing in a ball of light into this world and now is just the how that is the process. we are currently in cali and will be moving to michigan soon for a better and more stable birthing environment.
#148 of 267 Old 08-17-2006, 05:12 PM

Welcome Nick!
What a wonderfully supportive dh you are! Welcome, and best wishes for finding the path to the birth you choose.
#149 of 267 Old 08-17-2006, 11:22 PM

Hi Nick, welcome!
Unfortunately I don't have too much to say on the topic of starting out a pregnancy with diabetes, since I was diagnosed on week 28.

However, from the sounds of it, finding a good health care team who is responsive to your needs and willing to discuss options is key - isn't it always!

And I do have tips for dealing with newborns /babywearing/cosleeping and being diabetic!

You might check out the TRIGR study for formula, should it come to that at the hospital. And I think that Maria pumped prior to birth for her little one.

#150 of 267 Old 08-24-2006, 09:07 AM

Hi everyone
I am so glad to find you guys. My name is Courtney and I have 2 little kiddos a little girl who is 3 and a little boy who is 5 months. I was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I have been in the diabetes prevention trial, now trialnet and have been high risk with 3 positive antibodies for almost 5 years now.

DD was born at the hospital via a drug-free fairly unintrusive labor. She had a pretty severe shoulder dystocia and so her head was delivered and the emergency lights were blaring and drs running in. My OB reached in, broke her collar bone and pulled her out. She had an APGAR of 1, and 8 so she was in distress, but recovered nicely. I was not diabetic for this pregnancy.

I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 9 weeks with DS. Since it looked more like preexisting diabetes I was placed with the high-risk group. This pregnancy and birth were very different than the first. I was on glyburide for a while, and then switched to insulin. Drs sort of bullied me into a planned section, due to diabetes, previous dystocia, and u/s reports that the baby was large. DS was born by section at 38 weeks and was 8 lbs 7 oz.

Right after delivery my sugars were normal for almost 4 weeks. It was heaven then, they started to creep back up. 7 weeks pp I failed 2 oral glucose tests and was positive for 3 auto-antibodies. I went back on insulin a few weeks later.

DS is genetically high risk as discovered in the TEDDY study. DD was never tested but now will be enrolled in TrialNet and PANDA at DS's next TEDDY appointment.

I see an endo for the first time in a few weeks, hopefully will get me back on track, my sugars have been pretty crappy for the last few weeks.

I am so glad to "meet" you all!
-Courtney

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page