High fever and fast pulse in toddler? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-16-2006, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The night before last my daughter woke up with a very high fever. We gave her a bottle and put her back to bed. But since then she has continued to have this 103-104+ fever. She's drinking tons, barely eating (which I know is normal), and just laying there looking half alive. The poor thing keeps trying to pretend like she has energy, but she just doesn't. She just looks really aweful (glassy eyes, pale skin, red cheeks, ect). Anything that I should be concerned about or looking out for? She is 19 months, unvaxed, I haven't given her any Tylenol, and she's really skinny so I always get extra nervous when she's sick. Thanks

Btw, I forgot to mention before that her heart rate has been really fast since this fever started. Is that a normal way for her body to fight the fever? Or should that big a big clue to me that something is really wrong? My husband keeps assuring me that she's fine, but her pulse just seems so fast on top of everything else. What should I do?

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#2 of 7 Old 04-16-2006, 12:45 AM

Well, definitely not for no reason! Though I guess that's not exactly what you meant.

Clearly, she is fighting something off and the primary or first symptom is the fever.

I don't know if this is relevant, but I have noticed that my son will get higher fevers with fewer other symptoms and a shorter total duration of illness, when the other children will get less and lower fever and more mucous and other symptoms, and often have a longer duration of illness even when it is clear that they are catching the same virus. It is as if his body favors fever as an immune response more than other individuals. He often gets high fever and gets very flushed and dazed when the others don't, and sleeps a LOT more when he is sick. He gets better faster, usually.

The high fever at the beginning is usually a flu symptom, I think, and may go along with head aching/general body aching that you don't perceive. I don't know of any vaccine-preventable diseases it might indicate.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#3 of 7 Old 04-16-2006, 12:53 AM

I would be nursing a lot and giving her lots of water as you already are, and helping her rest. A damp, cool--but not cold, washcloth on her face might be comforting, as are lukewarm baths if she is in the mood.

I personally do give fever-reducers when I feel that it makes a big difference in how comfortable my child feels with an extremely high temperature--though I don't do so constantly during an illness. I don't know your feeling on giving them, or whether parents who avoid them would have other good advice. I hope they will add their voices and wisdom.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#4 of 7 Old 04-16-2006, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Well she has looked pretty miserable, but hasn't been fussing or anything. So I haven't seen the need for Tylenol yet (though I rarely find a need to give it). She seems content to just sleep on daddy. I'm pregnant, so I know that I'm extra emotional and irrational. But she's just freaking me out looking so sickly. I mean, she just looks bad. I'm sure that she's fine though. No cold symptoms or anything like that. I did feel achey/fluish yesterday and have been a tad queasy today. Maybe we do have a small flu? Thanks for the advice.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#5 of 7 Old 04-16-2006, 10:59 AM

Small children tend to get fast hearbeat/pulses when running a high temp like that. Its normal, she should be fine.
#6 of 7 Old 04-17-2006, 10:57 AM

I think we're fighting something similar. My ds has had a fever since yesterday morning. Last night it got up to 105.3 . I woke him up to give him some tylenol and he was responsive and wanted water, so we decided to give it a half hour before taking him to the ER.
Luckily it went down to 104.4 within a half hour, and was down to 101 within 2 hours. I made an appointment with the ped today to see what's going on in his little body.

He doesn't have any other symptoms, other than an enlarged lymphnode on one side of his neck. When his fever is under control, he is happy an playing.

I hope your little one is feeling better soon!!
#7 of 7 Old 04-17-2006, 11:24 PM

Well I've always though fever is a good thing and have not medicated it unless my children seemed to be in a lot of pain. My son (16 months, he also very small, under 20 pounds) seems to have a tendency to get high fevers so when he got one last week I was not concerned. His pulse was also very fast.

Unfortunately he went into a febrile/fever seizure and it was horrendous. We ended up calling an ambulance because we didn't know what it was and his pulse was 160 and his temp was 104 at arrival to the hospital. He got some Tylenol at the hospital and I felt like kicking myself in a major way that I didn't give it to him at home, we could have prevented the seizure and all the other unpleasantness. Now that he's had one seizure he is more likely to get more. So in your case I guess I would not hesitate to give her a pain reliever/fever reducer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page