how much cranberry juice for a yeast infection? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-23-2006, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I may have a yeast infection so I thought I'd start drinking some cranberry juice to help fight it. Only problem is I don't really like it, but I could chug some everyday & not have it be a big deal.

So how much...8 oz? 12 oz? more?
#2 of 14 Old 04-23-2006, 06:09 PM

unless its unsweetened you'd be doing more harm than good.
But I think there are better food treatments for yeast, cranberry is more for UTI kidney stuff.

8 might be enough
#3 of 14 Old 04-23-2006, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh
unless its unsweetened you'd be doing more harm than good.
But I think there are better food treatments for yeast, cranberry is more for UTI kidney stuff.
can you give me some suggestions. One of the websites I was lookingat mentioned cranberry juice (it's unsweetened, dd loves it!)
#4 of 14 Old 04-23-2006, 06:54 PM

Yah, if u're having a yeast infection you could either try adding more acidophilus to your diet (like, more plain yogurt) or getting some acidophilus pills from your health food store (be sure to get the kind that is refridgerated and be sure to keep it in the fridge when u get home, too) or you could try getting some grape fruit seed extract, which is very powerful in it's yeast fighting properties.

I just finished using grapefruit seed extract to help me get rid of thrush (yeast in the breasts and in baby's mouth) and I had the liquid kind.

I got that kind because I took it in some orange juice, and also mixed some with water to put it onto my nipples to get rid of the yeast infection, and also just in case I needed to give some to my baby too. (If the "infant acidophilus" had not worked for him, I would have done a little bit of diluted grapefruit seed extract with him too, but the infant acidophilus worked so I didn't have too.)

But if you don't have to do all of that, then I would highly suggest the capsule/pill (or whatever) grapefruit seed extract, because taking the liquid internally is extremely bitter even in the juice I took it with.

But I also used to have recurrent UTI's before I got pregnant, and cranberries are more for that. I used to always take cranberry pills because I hate the taste of cranberry juice. But I think that's a little mix up in info, for I have never seen it used for the treatment of yeast infections.
#5 of 14 Old 04-23-2006, 07:03 PM

You can get cranberry juice capsules. Think they are pricey. Cant remember the name of them.
#6 of 14 Old 04-23-2006, 07:18 PM

garlic is also good for yeast infections.
above all don't create good environment for yeast...
avoid long baths with bubbles/soaps, douching, tampons..
then interally avoid becoming 'sugary' try more acidic foods

8 might be enough
#7 of 14 Old 04-23-2006, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas.

I don't do baths or douche & rarely use tampons anymore. What about the diva cup? Actually it seems related to my cycle. I've had symptoms the past few months between my periods.

For the foods should they be raw, like the garlic or can the yogurt be baked into stuff? I have to look at what sugar I can cut (I'm sure there's plenty) and what are some other examples of acidic foods?

I'll check out the gse at the hfs tomorrow.

I haven't had a yeast infection in probably 10 or 12 years. I forgot how uncomfortable they are!
#8 of 14 Old 04-23-2006, 08:39 PM

I'm not sure (and anyone can feel free to correct me) but I think that the yogurt needs to stay cool (just like the refridgerated acidophilus I mentioned) because it has live cells and/or enzymes help to regulate your body's natural flora and fauna. I'm not sure, but cooking the yogurt in particularly might kill off some of those beneficial cells and make it less effective in treating your yeast infection.

But I am not sure about that. I would just eat it plain (no flavor and sugar) and raw just in case. Or you could always just take acidophilus pills that stay refrigerated.
#9 of 14 Old 04-23-2006, 09:51 PM

This page has a TON of really great and detailed treatments for yeast infections. http://www.msu.edu/user/eisthen/yeast/
They also give a lits of causes so that might shead a little light. As for the Diva, what have you been washing it with? I would definatly recomend boiling it for now (to kill all the evil yeasites), and maybe only clean it in hot water and boiling for a while (that's all I ever do anyway). HTH!

~Kelsie
#10 of 14 Old 04-23-2006, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soygurl
...As for the Diva, what have you been washing it with? I would definatly recomend boiling it for now (to kill all the evil yeasites), and maybe only clean it in hot water and boiling for a while (that's all I ever do anyway). HTH!

~Kelsie
Thanks for the website...I'll check it out! I've been doing most of the recommended things I've seen but this got me thinking. I generally just wash the diva with hot water & then put it away until next month & this may be a big part of the problem! Do you just boil water in a pot & drop it in? How long...5 minutes I guess would kill anything. I may have to get a separate pot for this ...I have issues with stuff that I use for food.
#11 of 14 Old 04-23-2006, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cranberry juice is good for urinary tract infections. It does not help yeast infections.
#12 of 14 Old 04-23-2006, 10:40 PM

I usually boil my diva before and after each cycle. I think 5 minutes is perfect. And the way I think about it, the pot is obveously hot enough to kill anything, as well as the water, so there isn't any problem with using the same pot for this and food, but if you still feel wierd about it, a seperate pot couldn't hurt. Just be sure to use plenty of water, and don't forget about it! I did that once, and ended up destroying my cup and the pot, and filling my house with smoke. Oops! Just make sure to set a loud timer or something, lol!

~Kelsie
#13 of 14 Old 04-23-2006, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soygurl
I usually boil my diva before and after each cycle. I think 5 minutes is perfect. And the way I think about it, the pot is obveously hot enough to kill anything, as well as the water, so there isn't any problem with using the same pot for this and food, but if you still feel wierd about it, a seperate pot couldn't hurt. Just be sure to use plenty of water, and don't forget about it! I did that once, and ended up destroying my cup and the pot, and filling my house with smoke. Oops! Just make sure to set a loud timer or something, lol!

~Kelsie
I *know* that it will kill anything but it's totally a mental thing with me.

And I know what you mean about forgetting... I've done that with my contact case before (now I set the timer).
#14 of 14 Old 04-23-2006, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu's mama
I *know* that it will kill anything but it's totally a mental thing with me.
Lol, yeah I get it. You should be able to find a cheap pot at a thrift store or something though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page