Healing the Gut Tribe ~ May - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#301 of 1002 Old 05-09-2006, 06:09 PM
 
chasmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Beautiful British Columbia
Posts: 2,367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is going to seem like a weird place to post this but I actually feel like it's the most appropriate. I posted it on my blog so I'm just recopying the whole thing if that's okay:

I'm freaking out right now. I cannot believe what just happened, and as the minutes pass and it gets farther away, I am left feeling even more shaken up than when it was happening.

We make our own yogurt. Here is how it's made: we cook the milk to a certain temperature and then let it cool to a certain temperature. When it is cooled, we add the starter to it and pour it into a 2-quart jar. We then wrap the jar with a towel and put it in the oven with the light on and the oven off. The light heats it up just enough to let those microorganisms procreate like mad. We then leave it for 24 hours in the oven, to let all of the lactose be eaten away and the probiotic goodness proliferate.

As part of my SCD intro diet, I eat one or two broiled ground meat patties each day (usually buffalo and turkey but that's irrelevant to the story).

Scene: We put the yogurt in the oven last night to proliferate. IT's still in there, happily growing away. It's about lunchtime. I take some ground meat out of the fridge. I turn on the broiler. I turn away to get something else and I smell fire.

'We don't have a gas oven,' I think to myself, turning toward the oven. 'Why do I smell fire?'

Would anyone like to venture a guess as to what happened? It's not like you can't see this coming. THE TOWELS CAUGHT FIRE. Because the yogurt WAS STILL IN THE OVEN.And I apparently DON'T HAVE TWO BRAIN CELLS TO RUB TOGETHER.

At first I just stared at it, horrified. I said out loud, 'Ohmygodohmygod, I don't know what to do,' but my body had other ideas.

First, I turned off the broiler (duh).

Then I moved Kiernen and his exersaucer out of the kitchen. Then I noticed on the counter there were some jars with water soaking in them (form milk and yogurt), so I grabbed one, opened the oven and threw it on the burning towel. It put most of it out but there was still burning, so I did it again with the second jar. I think it took three times, but I put it out. And then of course I had an oven full of liquid and two scorched towels (the second towel charred but didn't catch fire). I put on oven mitts and took the jars out of the oven (must save the yogurt!) and unwrapped the towels.

The jars felt warm but not hot so I'm really hoping that I didn't kill the yogurt.

Next I took the less burned towel and used it to sop up most of the water on the floor and in the oven (mess!). Then they both got thrown out into the garage to go out to the trash later. We also have a storage drawer under he oven (for pots and pans) where a good deal of the mucky water leaked so now I'll be washing all of our pots, pans and baking sheets.

I opened the back sliding door (much to the cats' delight) and the windows to air everything out but the kitchen near the oven still smells like fire. I'll need to do more cleaning there when MBD gets home.

I cannot even tell you how frustrated with myself I am that this happened. You'll think I'm being hard on myself but it isn't just this one incident. I have zero short term memory lately and it's scaring the hell out of me. Usually it's just my intellect that suffers and my ego that gets bruised but this time I endangered myself and my son. That really scares me.
chasmyn is offline  
#302 of 1002 Old 05-09-2006, 06:51 PM
 
caedmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When did everyone start adding Stage 3 fruits/veggies?


For some reason I never considered that DD's naptime issues could be related to the whole gut thing. Even though it seems like everyone here has kids with sleep issues, since she sleeps fine at night, I never thought about it. I knew she didn't sleep like everyone else's babies seemed to (was awake a lot even as a newborn, couldn't move her around while she was sleeping, etc) I hope when we heal she will start napping better, too! And it gives me hope for my future babies, too--hopefully my gut will be fixed and they will take nice normal naps.

chasmyn--eek! I'm glad you caught it before any more damage was done. If it helps any, you're not the only one who is spacey at times--one time I left the water running in the kitchen sink for like 10 minutes because I turned it on for some reason and somehow managed to forget it was on 2 seconds later (DH asked me why the water was running and I realized it had been running for a long time!). I've also turned the oven on (more than once) with a pan with a towel on it in the oven (left over from my sprouting grains--I put the pan in the oven to get it out of the way), and left stuff on the stove till they were burned to a crisp (in spite of being 10 feet away from the stove the whole time). Are you getting enough to eat? I know if I am not eating enough or it has been too long since I ate I cannot think at all. I've also had problems both times I've done the intro diet with spacie-ness--just from lack of carbs, I think. Anyhow, you are not alone
caedmyn is offline  
#303 of 1002 Old 05-09-2006, 07:09 PM
 
Kundalini-Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LOVING LIFE and oh, so thankful!!!
Posts: 2,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How scary!! And how brave of you to save the yogurt (I would have done the same thing). And like caedmyn, I have left the water on in the sink, full blast, for some time too. I just forget that I put it on (I sound like my mother...)

Speaking of mothers, Jane that was so awesome what you posted about the Vit A&D and how it can help the face grow!! Very interesting, b/c I just realized that *my* mother was a vegetarian before she was pregnant w/me and for most of the pregnancy. AND while I have my wisdom teeth (and healthy too), I had to have my first 4 molars taken out as "there wasn't enough room" in my mouth--think retainers and braces, etc, etc.

Is this the test you are speaking of Jane for yeast v. bacteria? http://www.gdx.net/home/education/da...documents.html

Oh and how many of those Nordic Natural strawberry balls should my kiddos be eating? The bottle says 4, and for 3 yrs & up. So how many should my 17m old and 4 yr old get? And what is the blue ice thing? I totally missed that, is that what everyone is taking for CLO--I worry that I'm not taking enough.
Kundalini-Mama is offline  
#304 of 1002 Old 05-09-2006, 08:10 PM
 
Pookietooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
chasmyn (((hugs)))) to you, that must have been so scary! I know you're mad at yourself, as anyone would be. Also, you must be grateful that you caught it when you did.

On the topic of the oven method:
I have reverted to using the heating pad method with a 3 quart pot myself, just because I could never get the temperature to be stable in my oven. It doesn't have its own light, and the shop light that I bought to go in it isn't warm enough. Adding a heating pad makes it too hot, so I haven't messed with it. Theboutn there's the whole not being able to use the oven, which in your case was quite bad. In my case, I moved the yogurt to a cooler with the heating pad in it, which I wasn't crazy about just because I didn't like the idea of heating plastic! Oh, and how do you check the temp regularly with jars with lids on them? I use foil on the pot I use, but wouldn't do that with the jars, since there is much less clearance (unless I filled them only 3/4 full or something).

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Pookietooth is offline  
#305 of 1002 Old 05-09-2006, 08:16 PM
 
Gale Force's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nestled in the Sierras
Posts: 5,010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is everyone doing for Mother's Day to acknowledge the commitment they've made to their family's health?

I have no plans but it seems like I should.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Gale Force is offline  
#306 of 1002 Old 05-09-2006, 09:00 PM
 
nicolena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: dorchester, ma
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wow! so much going on here!

patty--thanks for posting this:
Quote:
I've been thinking over the past couple of months and what I have learned. I want to tell the newer members of this list (not that I consider myself old at all) to chill out about every reaction and trust the process. I fall into the trap of over analizing every poop, every nights sleep, every food eaten to constantly try to tweak this and make it better but sometimes it is just about giving the body time to heal. We don't expect a broken arm to stop hurting once it is set. We can't expect a damaged gut to stop bleeding/hurting/leaking just because we have eliminated the damaging foods. It still needs to recover and heal and healing may not look like what we expect it too look like.

I'm not saying to stop learning and stop improving, just give yourself a break and look at the big picture instead of the bumps in the road.
the girls reacted to too much nuts, so i'm trying to just give them less (seems ok in smaller doses) rather than freak and say, "how am i going to get thru this without nuts?" moderation.

and appreciating the changes--no screeches from dda for the longest time, and no arm flapping from ddb. how cool is that?

chasmyn--: hug--sorry you went thru that. does this diet affect our brains, or is it just that we're not used to USING our kitchens so much? i have burned two pots in the past two weeks. the first was an aluminum anodized thing i wanted to get rid of anyway, but the second was a nice (marshall's) enamel coated pot. sad sad sad. i'd only burned one pot previously in my life! (and that was three months ago when i started NT--and i thought ?THAT was a restricted diet!)

i took too much co tonight, but i'm recovering faster than i did before. my face is better since i stopped taking so much. but where can i read about why i feel the way i do when i take too much? was it in eflf? i lost my copy and i'm so mad! i really want to know what exactly is being killed in my body--i hope i'm not replacing it with something!

gale force--for mom's day i might be putting dh on the diet! i really don't know what's in store. i think i'll try to get enough food cooked ahead so i can completely take the day off.

and i also have to find a more efficient yogurt laking method. i'm making cream for the first time, but in making it i realized i've been using too little yogourmet. sigh. at least i've ony made one or two batches iwth the stuff. i just took the lid off to check the temp--but i was using the oven, so i only did it once, and i did it at the end of the fermentation.

i just posted on the scd chefs page, but i need a recipe for an early in the scd for chicken reserved from stock. i made the meatloaf in btvc--not much flavor. anybody improved on it? i don't know how much salt to add even.

jane--that is fascinating about the face continuing to grow! i'm so glad, because i watch and worry over the girls' teeth all the time, thinking i must have done some damage to them in utero. we can heal it! i'm sneaking them activator x, but i can't always get the clo in one.......
nicolena is offline  
#307 of 1002 Old 05-09-2006, 09:01 PM
 
nicolena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: dorchester, ma
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my last post was so long, but i just wanted to add that i said to dh the other night that if you had told me two months ago that i'd be putting something called activator X onto a muffin made with zucchini and pecans and enjoying it, i'd have said you were on crack.

heehee.

rock on healin' mamas!
nicolena is offline  
#308 of 1002 Old 05-09-2006, 09:27 PM
 
artisticat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Oh Chasym, I feel for ya. I've never had the fire mind you, but just the other day I did the same thing.
artisticat is offline  
#309 of 1002 Old 05-09-2006, 10:38 PM
 
nicolena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: dorchester, ma
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh, 2 things i meant to add. i don't know if odwalla is legal--i wouldn't trust it bc they're owned by cocacola. (no offense--i just hate cocacola).

where do you get pascalite? should i take that? can someone explain why it would make it possible for me to take more co and possibly enzymes if i took the clay?

also--i swear i'm not eating enough but i'm not losing weight like it seems i normally would if i ate this little. what do you think that means? and it's not hidden calories from nuts bc i hardly have anything with them. in fact, how do you have nut butter if you can't have raw food yet? twice i've just had a spoonful of peanut or almond butter with honey. amazing how that satisfied, but there's got to be a better way, right?
nicolena is offline  
#310 of 1002 Old 05-09-2006, 11:03 PM
 
Pattyla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chasmyn- I have done that so many times! thankfully never with a towel in there but still. My memory is shot. I think it is (currently) lack of sleep and die off. I also have ruined more than one pot. I learned a trick from someone. For cooking fruit just put it into the oven with a little water and bake it at 300 or so for an hour or two. Cooks it nicely and doesn't burn it.

I can't live w/o my oven for 24 hours so I haven't ever attempted the oven yougart method. I did learn recently that the heating pad method may not work forever. I already killed one heating pad... I also have a 1 qt yogurt maker I got on amazon for like $18. I'm thinking about getting 1-2 more and just using those. I can fit a 1 qt canning jar in it and make the yougart that way. It works pretty well.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Pattyla is offline  
#311 of 1002 Old 05-09-2006, 11:04 PM
 
Pattyla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolena
oh, 2 things i meant to add. i don't know if odwalla is legal--i wouldn't trust it bc they're owned by cocacola. (no offense--i just hate cocacola).

where do you get pascalite? should i take that? can someone explain why it would make it possible for me to take more co and possibly enzymes if i took the clay?

also--i swear i'm not eating enough but i'm not losing weight like it seems i normally would if i ate this little. what do you think that means? and it's not hidden calories from nuts bc i hardly have anything with them. in fact, how do you have nut butter if you can't have raw food yet? twice i've just had a spoonful of peanut or almond butter with honey. amazing how that satisfied, but there's got to be a better way, right?
Google pascalite. There are a couple different companies selling it. They all cost about the same. It works to absorb the toxins and take them from your body. I have found that it really helps with die off and releives my stomach aches.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Pattyla is offline  
#312 of 1002 Old 05-09-2006, 11:09 PM
 
Pattyla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok so I'm reading the Imunology thread and it has me really freaked out about getting minerals now. So today I was re-reading in NT (amazing how much I missed in the first time through!) She talks about lacto fermented beverages helping with mineral absorbtion. Soooo... Has anyone made any of them??? Are they any good??? Obviously many of them aren't scd legal but some of them are. I'm thinking about starting with the almond beverage since that takes the least effort. I'm intrigued by the grape cooler but don't have a juicer or access to a case of organic grapes. This book is making me want a juicer though...

What else have you made??? Our sourkraut ran out and dh hasn't made more yet. I'm thinking about just getting some of the Bubbies... One less thing to do.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Pattyla is offline  
#313 of 1002 Old 05-09-2006, 11:42 PM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
How scary!! And how brave of you to save the yogurt (I would have done the same thing). And like caedmyn, I have left the water on in the sink, full blast, for some time too. I just forget that I put it on (I sound like my mother...)

Speaking of mothers, Jane that was so awesome what you posted about the Vit A&D and how it can help the face grow!! Very interesting, b/c I just realized that *my* mother was a vegetarian before she was pregnant w/me and for most of the pregnancy. AND while I have my wisdom teeth (and healthy too), I had to have my first 4 molars taken out as "there wasn't enough room" in my mouth--think retainers and braces, etc, etc.

Is this the test you are speaking of Jane for yeast v. bacteria? http://www.gdx.net/home/education/da...documents.html

Oh and how many of those Nordic Natural strawberry balls should my kiddos be eating? The bottle says 4, and for 3 yrs & up. So how many should my 17m old and 4 yr old get? And what is the blue ice thing? I totally missed that, is that what everyone is taking for CLO--I worry that I'm not taking enough.
RE: tests
Yes, the Microbiology section of Genova for the stool test or the OAT urine test from Metametrix.

See here for CLO and dosage recs for high vitamin version.
http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...fications.html

I don't know re: low vitamin DHA/EPA recs for various ages. Maybe Amanda would have some ideas? I think you all should be slamming down the high vitamin stuff though and rebuild your stores. Removing teeth b/c of crowding is classic narrowed palate problem.

and to Chasmyn!!!!

I've done many things this bad in the kitchen. I've scorched plastic lids when making yogurt (by turning on oven with the mason jars in there.) I've left burners on for hours, sometimes under empty pots or teakettle (electric stove, can't tell the stupid thing is on half the time). Interesting how metal starts clicking when it heats red hot...

I also tend to leave the house w/o my wallet lately so I'm driving around with no money or license!! (but hey, I've got lots of legal snacks for me and DS and usually lunch for him too if we are gone for entire AM b/c he has to eat in car on way home.)

I've run red lights ... I saw them just fine but somehow my brain just didn't tell me to stop that time! Put food that is supposed to be in the fridge in the pantry next to it instead. The list goes on. I've scared myself so much I think I'm developing OCD to combat it. Such as sometimes repeating to myself while driving: "Pay attention, stop at red lights, look at what cars are doing around you." Double check stove, door locks, etc etc several times before leaving house. Now I gotta add wallet to list... and actually I'm considering putting a checklist next to door. It's really pathetic!!

Gotta run, busy day tom.
DS going to dentist (an hr away but soooo worth it) and I forgot to get him his presents beforehand, so we have to leave early and go to store for 'Happy Dentist Day'
JaneS is offline  
#314 of 1002 Old 05-10-2006, 12:08 AM
 
moonshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: finding my way back to the Dingos
Posts: 2,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, my acupuncturist doesn't think that it is ileocecal valve syndrome, since the pain I have moves. He thinks it is allergy/enzyme related. So does this mean the SCD is the way to go?

Also, how should I take enzymes and probiotics? Not at the same time, right?
moonshine is offline  
#315 of 1002 Old 05-10-2006, 05:14 AM
 
mlleoiseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Polk County, Florida
Posts: 321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
Oh and how many of those Nordic Natural strawberry balls should my kiddos be eating? The bottle says 4, and for 3 yrs & up. So how many should my 17m old and 4 yr old get?
I recently ran out of the NN Berry Keen so I'm using the strawberry balls right now. I've been giving dd 10 of them on the days I remember to give them to her at all.

Let's see... The Children's DHA contains Vitamin A: 200–400 IU andVitamin D: 1–4 IU per 4 softgels. So, each one has 50-10 IU of vitamin A and .25-1 IU of vitamin D. The Price website recommends 5000 IU of vitamin A and 500 IU of vitamin D. So that would be what, 50 of the balls daily? Wow. I may have to try some of the Blue Ice.
mlleoiseau is offline  
#316 of 1002 Old 05-10-2006, 09:57 AM
EBG
 
EBG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The papanature.com deal expeired march 31, 2006.
I could have used some $$ back...
EBG is offline  
#317 of 1002 Old 05-10-2006, 10:02 AM
 
Ambercrystal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ambercrystal is offline  
#318 of 1002 Old 05-10-2006, 11:01 AM
 
caedmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine
Well, my acupuncturist doesn't think that it is ileocecal valve syndrome, since the pain I have moves. He thinks it is allergy/enzyme related. So does this mean the SCD is the way to go?

Also, how should I take enzymes and probiotics? Not at the same time, right?
You're supposed to take enzymes at the beginning of a meal, so you would take probiotics at the end (unless they're natural ones in yogurt or whatever, then you can take them whenever). You can also take enzymes in between meals.
caedmyn is offline  
#319 of 1002 Old 05-10-2006, 11:07 AM
EBG
 
EBG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So if I take Candidase between meals do I keep taking the broad spec. enzymes with the meals? I'm gonna go broke because of this "lousy" candida. Couldn't find a more family friendly word...
EBG is offline  
#320 of 1002 Old 05-10-2006, 11:08 AM
 
caedmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolena
oh, 2 things i meant to add. i don't know if odwalla is legal--i wouldn't trust it bc they're owned by cocacola. (no offense--i just hate cocacola).

where do you get pascalite? should i take that? can someone explain why it would make it possible for me to take more co and possibly enzymes if i took the clay?

also--i swear i'm not eating enough but i'm not losing weight like it seems i normally would if i ate this little. what do you think that means? and it's not hidden calories from nuts bc i hardly have anything with them. in fact, how do you have nut butter if you can't have raw food yet? twice i've just had a spoonful of peanut or almond butter with honey. amazing how that satisfied, but there's got to be a better way, right?
Well Odwalla says they're not from concentrate and if I remember right that's the criteria for juices, so I guess they're okay. I don't know if they're any worse than any other big juice company, and at least they're not ultra pasturized and shelf stable! I drink juice once in a blue moon anyway, though, so it's not like it's a huge deal.

I got pascalite clay off ebay. I think it was like $8-9 for a pound of it and then $5 for shipping. There were 2 sellers when I looked--one had 8 oz and 20 lb! packages and one had 1 lb packages which were roughly the same price as the 8 oz ones. It's supposed to help with die off so you might be able to take more co and enzymes with it.

Apparently nut butter doesn't fall into the raw food category. I always cook mine into pancakes, though, just because I like it that way. I either do 2 Tbsp of nut butter with 1 egg and a bit of baking soda (makes a really thin batter but it works) or do 1 banana, 2 eggs, 1/4 c. of almond butter, baking soda, and cinnamon (the recipe calls for PB but I use almond and add cinnamon). Then I fry them in coconut oil

I also stopped losing weight after about the first week, in spite of eating pretty much the same amount as I had for the first week.
caedmyn is offline  
#321 of 1002 Old 05-10-2006, 12:24 PM
 
caedmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
Ok so I'm reading the Imunology thread and it has me really freaked out about getting minerals now. So today I was re-reading in NT (amazing how much I missed in the first time through!) She talks about lacto fermented beverages helping with mineral absorbtion. Soooo... Has anyone made any of them??? Are they any good??? Obviously many of them aren't scd legal but some of them are. I'm thinking about starting with the almond beverage since that takes the least effort. I'm intrigued by the grape cooler but don't have a juicer or access to a case of organic grapes. This book is making me want a juicer though...

What else have you made??? Our sourkraut ran out and dh hasn't made more yet. I'm thinking about just getting some of the Bubbies... One less thing to do.
I haven't made any of the beverages because they all call for whey and since I'm not doing dairy...but hopefully DD will be okay with goat and I can do goat milk whey and then I'll try some.

I have made ginger carrots, those weren't bad (and I don't like pickled foods, so that's saying something). Actually I don't like fresh ginger, either, so I just used powdered ginger and it worked fine
caedmyn is offline  
#322 of 1002 Old 05-10-2006, 12:27 PM
 
caedmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
So if I take Candidase between meals do I keep taking the broad spec. enzymes with the meals? I'm gonna go broke because of this "lousy" candida. Couldn't find a more family friendly word...
Yes, it's supposed to work best if you do both. Are you taking a yeast kiiller, too? That's supposed to be much more effective than just taking enzymes between meals (according to enzymestuff.com). Raw garlic, oil of oregano (if not preg or nursing), grapefruit seed extract...
caedmyn is offline  
#323 of 1002 Old 05-10-2006, 02:21 PM
 
tedescokid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Joining in -

I am currently doing an elimination diet (no sugars including fruit, wheat, dairy) to try and deal with a yeast overgrowth - I think. I am feeling better. I am considering doing something with the rest of my family's diet. Quick history - both kids (ages almost 5 and 2) have had a history of mucousy stools. Had stool tests done on 5 yo when she was under 1 - normal. Allergy tests (RAST) for 2 yo twice both normal. Now, ds still has lots of mucous in stool. Ped is not concerned!! as he is a big kid for his age so feels he is growing. However, I do not think mucous in the stool is NORMAL?!?!? Not sure about dd as she uses the toilet and I don't feel like fishing it out to check.

So I am reading this with interest and the cheat sheet and now feel as though my head is going to EXPLODE! Between my diet issues right now (which I have adjusted to) and needing to try and figure out theirs!!!

My questions for you -

1) There seems to be some contradicitons between the different approaches advocated - NT, BTVC, etc. Does everyone just do trial and error between the different things to figure it out?

2) What does WAP stand for? I have figured out most of the others but not that one.

3) My ped has agreed to stool tests for both kids. Here is what I have asked for - celiac, malabsorbtion, blood in stool. Anything else I should ask for? Not that he will do it but at least I want to try and cover my bases.

4) With regard to supplements (I am currently following the Diet Cure so I am taking a crazy amount of them), how do you figure out doses for kids? I am specifically wondering about helping them deal with die off. The diet cure author feels her recomemended supplements help mitigate die off symptoms and I really have not had terrible symptoms as I expected.

Sorry if this is old news for you but I am really feeling like this is beyond my skill set

Tonya
tedescokid is offline  
#324 of 1002 Old 05-10-2006, 03:30 PM
EBG
 
EBG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
Yes, it's supposed to work best if you do both. Are you taking a yeast kiiller, too? That's supposed to be much more effective than just taking enzymes between meals (according to enzymestuff.com). Raw garlic, oil of oregano (if not preg or nursing), grapefruit seed extract...
I'm eating 4-6 cloves of raw garlic/day to no avail (several weeks) so I'm hoping Candidase will give me a boost. so far all I got from garlic is a garlic BO. Why can't we take OOO (bf-ing)? What about olive leaf? I'm also taking coconut oil. What else kills Candida? And of course I'm on the SCD with no honey and minimal fruits.

More questions for anyone who knows:
How much glutamine to take. I have 500 mg pills, is 3 a day enough?
How much epsom salts are you putting in the tub, I put 1 cup and had no salt residue on my skin and felt no difference.
EBG is offline  
#325 of 1002 Old 05-10-2006, 04:47 PM
 
caedmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedescokid
Joining in -

I am currently doing an elimination diet (no sugars including fruit, wheat, dairy) to try and deal with a yeast overgrowth - I think. I am feeling better. I am considering doing something with the rest of my family's diet. Quick history - both kids (ages almost 5 and 2) have had a history of mucousy stools. Had stool tests done on 5 yo when she was under 1 - normal. Allergy tests (RAST) for 2 yo twice both normal. Now, ds still has lots of mucous in stool. Ped is not concerned!! as he is a big kid for his age so feels he is growing. However, I do not think mucous in the stool is NORMAL?!?!? Not sure about dd as she uses the toilet and I don't feel like fishing it out to check.

So I am reading this with interest and the cheat sheet and now feel as though my head is going to EXPLODE! Between my diet issues right now (which I have adjusted to) and needing to try and figure out theirs!!!

My questions for you -

1) There seems to be some contradicitons between the different approaches advocated - NT, BTVC, etc. Does everyone just do trial and error between the different things to figure it out?

2) What does WAP stand for? I have figured out most of the others but not that one.

3) My ped has agreed to stool tests for both kids. Here is what I have asked for - celiac, malabsorbtion, blood in stool. Anything else I should ask for? Not that he will do it but at least I want to try and cover my bases.

4) With regard to supplements (I am currently following the Diet Cure so I am taking a crazy amount of them), how do you figure out doses for kids? I am specifically wondering about helping them deal with die off. The diet cure author feels her recomemended supplements help mitigate die off symptoms and I really have not had terrible symptoms as I expected.

Sorry if this is old news for you but I am really feeling like this is beyond my skill set

Tonya
Welcome to the exploding head club! Mine felt like when I first started reading, too...sometimes it still does.

BTVC/SCD is a diet specifically for gut healing. NT is more an overall way of life (not that some people don't make SCD a permanent way of life). Most people here do both--follow the SCD but use NT principles, like soaking nuts overnight to make them more digestible and using natural/free range/grass fed meats and eggs, along with homemade broth/stock. Other diets mentioned are Eat Fat Lose Fat (EFLF) which follows NT principles...I don't know if anyone is doing that primarily for gut healing, though. Also the Maker's Diet, which follows some of the SCD principles but progresses much faster as far as adding foods--this one also follows NT principles.

WAP stands for Weston A Price...he was a dentist who did a bunch of research on isolated native populations eating non-processed foods, and he learned that they had almost no disease of any kind as long as they ate their native diet. NT is based on his ideas. There is also a WAP Foundation.

I have read that the supplement dose for kids is 1/3-1/4 of the adult dose. Things you can do for die off include epsom salt baths and taking pascalite clay.

Oh, and the SCD is also supposed to help with yeast issues, so that might be something you could do, also, if you wanted...just so you aren't trying to prepare two separate time-consuming meals all the time...you could still do it without fruits if you wanted.

HTH!
caedmyn is offline  
#326 of 1002 Old 05-10-2006, 04:58 PM
 
moonshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: finding my way back to the Dingos
Posts: 2,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
Welcome to the exploding head club! Mine felt like when I first started reading, too...sometimes it still does.

BTVC/SCD is a diet specifically for gut healing. NT is more an overall way of life (not that some people don't make SCD a permanent way of life). Most people here do both--follow the SCD but use NT principles, like soaking nuts overnight to make them more digestible and using natural/free range/grass fed meats and eggs, along with homemade broth/stock. Other diets mentioned are Eat Fat Lose Fat (EFLF) which follows NT principles...I don't know if anyone is doing that primarily for gut healing, though. Also the Maker's Diet, which follows some of the SCD principles but progresses much faster as far as adding foods--this one also follows NT principles.

WAP stands for Weston A Price...he was a dentist who did a bunch of research on isolated native populations eating non-processed foods, and he learned that they had almost no disease of any kind as long as they ate their native diet. NT is based on his ideas. There is also a WAP Foundation.

I have read that the supplement dose for kids is 1/3-1/4 of the adult dose. Things you can do for die off include epsom salt baths and taking pascalite clay.

Oh, and the SCD is also supposed to help with yeast issues, so that might be something you could do, also, if you wanted...just so you aren't trying to prepare two separate time-consuming meals all the time...you could still do it without fruits if you wanted.

HTH!
Wow, that is really helpful. I have been reading the various threads for a while now, and still didn't completely have a handle on it. One last question: is BTVC also deal with allergies? Part of me resists going that way since it seems restrictive and I am not dealing with yeast, but then I wonder if it isn't what I need.
moonshine is offline  
#327 of 1002 Old 05-10-2006, 05:52 PM
 
caedmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine
Wow, that is really helpful. I have been reading the various threads for a while now, and still didn't completely have a handle on it. One last question: is BTVC also deal with allergies? Part of me resists going that way since it seems restrictive and I am not dealing with yeast, but then I wonder if it isn't what I need.
Yes it is also for allergies (I assume you are talking about food allergies). The theory being that leaky gut/holes in the gut allow improperly digested food particles into the bloodstream which causes symptoms of food allergies. So if the leaky gut is healed, the food allergies should go away (except in the case of anaphylactic allergies and true celiac disease).
caedmyn is offline  
#328 of 1002 Old 05-10-2006, 06:54 PM
 
quelindo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: On the road to find out
Posts: 3,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone who is taking Blue Ice CLO recommend a flavor for me? I was about to order it but thought I'd better check here first!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
quelindo is offline  
#329 of 1002 Old 05-10-2006, 08:52 PM
 
Pattyla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama
Can anyone who is taking Blue Ice CLO recommend a flavor for me? I was about to order it but thought I'd better check here first!
I always take plain. I've had too many bad experiences as a child with flavored clo. I've heard some can be quite good but I stay away. I find that it is a pretty mild fish flavor as clo's go.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Pattyla is offline  
#330 of 1002 Old 05-10-2006, 08:55 PM
 
Kundalini-Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LOVING LIFE and oh, so thankful!!!
Posts: 2,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama
Can anyone who is taking Blue Ice CLO recommend a flavor for me? I was about to order it but thought I'd better check here first!
Yes please!! My friend and I are going to split a half-case and we don't want to get a dud flavor, or worse a :Puke flavor I really can't afford 50 strawberry balls a day, per child, either
Kundalini-Mama is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off