Healing the Gut Tribe ~ May - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For garlic, I just mince it and put it on my salad. I like it.

My dad is visiting and he brought along a cake he made, which he pretty much always does when he comes. Sigh, they are so good, but of course, with not doing any grains and sugar. I did have a few bites of the crust (which I always thought was the best part) and while it was good, it didn't taste as good as it used to. Hmmm, taste buds are changing.

Interestingly, he told me that he has a similar stomach thing as I do (huge bloating after eating), and that he has had it for the last few years. I am not sure what this means, but I thought it significant.

I have ordered BTVC and the Maker's Diet -- am curious to put more of this to practice.
#362 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 09:04 AM
EBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommiska
EBG - thanks so much for your suggestions! A couple of questions - what kind of coconut milk can you use? The only kind I seem to find here (I live in the UK) is canned - will that work?

As for the dairy and the nuts - I don't have any issues (that i know of!) with either dairy (anymore - I outgrew them as a toddler) or nuts. I just stopped eating peanuts and tree nuts when I started having kids to reduce the chances of them developing a nut allergy. I'm afraid if I do the nut flour thing, I'll expose dd to nuts and she'll develop an allergy to them, you know?

Does soaking them and dry roasting them make them less allergenic?

Has anyone else worried about this issue as well?

The dairy - I'm just guessing that dd is allergic to dairy, since it's such a common allergen and she's had such bad eczema. I'm thinking I'll try the homemade yoghurt and see how it goes...

Thanks again!

Coconut milk - try to get a brand that doesn't have any additives (preservatives of emulsifiers), it's hard. I'm sure you can find it online, but it might be more expensive. I just get Thai Kitchen it has coconut milk and guar gum. Gum is not too good but I use sparingly. For yogurt you might try to find a better one online and buy it in bulk. Wilderness family Naturals carry a good one but it's US based.

I also have eczema and so does my DD (2 and a half). I'm following the SCD and NT, loosely for her (DH doesn't let me put her on any diet). I give her CLO and sugar-free vitamins, try to minimize sugar and grain intake which is hard with this family. Needless to say everybody is fat and sick. She is eczema-free as of March. Sunshine helps (vitamin D) but you need cholesterol to form D. So bring on the fat!
Westonaprice.org lots of good info there.

I found that nuts make me itchy so I didn't do nuts for a few months. Since then I've discovered The Weston A Price Foundtaion and Nourishing Traditions and have tried soaked and roasted walnuts which were OK. NT says tat by soaking in salt water you neutralize the enzyme inhibitors that are in nuts grains and seeds and make it more digestable. But , some nuts are still not too good. Walnuts go rancid very quickly as they are high in omega 3 so only freshly shelled ones should be used and refrigerated. The best bet is Macademia nuts, the omega 3 and 6 ratio is 1:1.
Pine nuts and almonds are also low in n 6. Pecans are high in manganese which is great. Brazil nuts are high in selenium, one a day provides all the selenium you need.
Worst: cashews and peanuts -bad oils and mouldy.
If you try the flour, try the blanched almonds as the skins will irritate the gut. However, I'm not sure how they are blanched commercially.
So You can just do it yourself. I have some pine nuts roasting right now.
But if someody is allergic to nuts soaking them won't eliminate that issue, only the digestability problem. Allergy test can reveal true nut allergies. However, they don't detect intolerances and gut issues.
#363 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 09:11 AM
EBG

Garlic- I've read that supplements don't work as well. Fresh and raw is the key. I just chop them up and mix it in my food 3 times a day if I stay home.
I tried to swallow them witha spoonful of water but a minute later I got so sick I felt like I was gonna puke. Every time I swallowed a chopped up bulb. Especially on an empty stomach-bad idea. So I make sure I eat something with it.
#364 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 02:23 PM

AHHHH I hate hate hate nap time. I just spend 2 hours putting DD down for a nap...and it's only her 2nd nap of the day so I can look forward to potentially doing this 2 or 3 more times today. I HOPE THIS DIET STARTS WORKING SOON!!!!
#365 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
I just get Thai Kitchen it has coconut milk and guar gum. Gum is not too good but I use sparingly.
Thai Kitchen Organic Coconut Milk has recently changed their formulation. It now contains soy lecitin as well. The old cans have the black lid w/the words "Thai Kitchen" on it. The new formulation has gold lids.

I use Native Forest's Organic Coconut Milk--coconut, water and guar.
#366 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 02:50 PM
EBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
Thai Kitchen Organic Coconut Milk has recently changed their formulation. It now contains soy lecitin as well. The old cans have the black lid w/the words "Thai Kitchen" on it. The new formulation has gold lids.

I use Native Forest's Organic Coconut Milk--coconut, water and guar.
Thanks, good to know. I'm still using the black ones but will be careful not to buy the gold ones...
#367 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 02:50 PM

to nap time. I remember it so well when my 4 yr old was a babe. It sucked so much. Have you done allergy testing? Mine were useless, but, it might work for you, esp if you have a true allergy, & not just leaky gut crap.

I got my quercetin powder today to help w/allergies by Designs for Health. I ordered it through Bayro & didn't have to sign off w/a Dr (so silly). Very palatable, reminds we a tad of tumeric Adult doage is 1/4 t, so shouldn't be hard to get less than that into my guys.

My 4 yr old is done vomiting, I think. He has huge dark circles under his eyes. Trying to get enzymes & EVCO into him.

Okay, off for a walk.
#368 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 04:23 PM

Can I talk about CLO?

I've been taking the Carlson;s capsules all this time but since they aren't high vitamin I decided to get the Garden of Life liquid (no caps available). It's lemon mint. Can I just say?

Oh my Goddess it is DISGUSTING!!!

I took it alone yesterday with a 24 hour yogurt chaser but the taste!!! I cannot get it out of my mouth. So I thought maybe if I made a sort of smoothie?

So today I did that and the whole smoothie tasted like that ucky CLO!!! How am I ever going to get this whole bottle down my gullet? It's so icky!!!
#369 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn
Can I talk about CLO?

I've been taking the Carlson;s capsules all this time but since they aren't high vitamin I decided to get the Garden of Life liquid (no caps available). It's lemon mint. Can I just say?

I took it alone yesterday with a 24 hour yogurt chaser but the taste!!! I cannot get it out of my mouth. So I thought maybe if I made a sort of smoothie?

So today I did that and the whole smoothie tasted like that ucky CLO!!! How am I ever going to get this whole bottle down my gullet? It's so icky!!!
No ideas for you, but I can commiserate. I bought the Nordic Naturals and it was HORRIBLE. Same thing. I put it in some OJ and the OJ was just one big oily fishy slimey glass of nasty. I then bought some Spectrum CLO and I don't mind it straight at all. It's really light-tasting. However, I haven't seen Spectrum recommended here at all, and I was about to order the Blue Ice brand for the higher amounts of Vitamins A & D. I'm afraid I'll run into the same problem, though!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#370 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 04:41 PM

Question for you all: I've been doing supplements only for about two weeks now, mostly to see if I can clear up my mild acne (which I've had to different degrees my whole life) and hopefully help my 9-month old stop spitting up (it's a LOT less than it used to be, but it still happens a little, so I feel like that's an indication of something).

I'm taking enzymes, probiotics, CLO and CO. I haven't noticed a difference in either me or my son as far as the problems I mentioned, but this past week I cut wayyyyyyyyy back on everything but the CLO because my son was having MAJOR sleep issues. He's back to normal sleeping now, and I'm going to work my way back up to the regular amounts of enzymes, probiotics, and CO.

I just got the SCD book from the library and will read it through, but I'm wondering if just the supplements alone will heal me and my son. I did several elimination diets when my son was smaller to try to find the source of his spitting up (and it seems like dairy and soy were major problems, but he still spits up anyway, just worse with the dairy and soy), and I just don't want to have to do a diet again if I don't have to!

FWIW I eat a vegan diet now, with very little junk, though I'm obviously doing CLO and would consider the butter if I thought my son wouldn't react to it. I also just bought some kefir grains and plan on trying them with almond milk and coconut milk.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? You guys are all so helpful.

#371 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 04:44 PM

Can I just use commercial goat yogurt for my yogurt starter? The price on the SCD dairy free starter is ridiculous! $30 plus $15 for shipping, and with my luck DD won't even be able to tolerate it! Or what about using regular yogurt and then using a bit of the resulting batch to culture another batch (and throwing the 1st batch out), which I would think would have only a very very tiny bit of cow dairy in it. I know you're not supposed to do that but could I at least do it for a trial before I go blow $45 on this yogurt starter?

I really don't know what good allergy testing would do--the only common allergens I'm eating are eggs and nuts...actually I just started nuts up today after a 5 day break so I suppose that could be the cause of today's issues, or it could just be the fact that she's decided she only needs 9 hours of sleep at night and her 1 1/2 hours of daytime naps are not enough so she's overtired. I guess if tomorrow sucks again I will have to take out the nuts and see if that helps.
#372 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama
No ideas for you, but I can commiserate. I bought the Nordic Naturals and it was HORRIBLE. Same thing. I put it in some OJ and the OJ was just one big oily fishy slimey glass of nasty. I then bought some Spectrum CLO and I don't mind it straight at all. It's really light-tasting. However, I haven't seen Spectrum recommended here at all, and I was about to order the Blue Ice brand for the higher amounts of Vitamins A & D. I'm afraid I'll run into the same problem, though!
I've got orange flavored Blue Ice and it isn't bad. Not great but not terrible, either. I've heard that the orange is the worst of their flavors, though, and the mint and cinnamon are better. I'm going to order some (mint and cinnamon both) today so I can post an update on one of the flavors in a week or so.
#373 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Question for you all: I've been doing supplements only for about two weeks now, mostly to see if I can clear up my mild acne (which I've had to different degrees my whole life) and hopefully help my 9-month old stop spitting up (it's a LOT less than it used to be, but it still happens a little, so I feel like that's an indication of something).

I'm taking enzymes, probiotics, CLO and CO. I haven't noticed a difference in either me or my son as far as the problems I mentioned, but this past week I cut wayyyyyyyyy back on everything but the CLO because my son was having MAJOR sleep issues. He's back to normal sleeping now, and I'm going to work my way back up to the regular amounts of enzymes, probiotics, and CO.

I just got the SCD book from the library and will read it through, but I'm wondering if just the supplements alone will heal me and my son. I did several elimination diets when my son was smaller to try to find the source of his spitting up (and it seems like dairy and soy were major problems, but he still spits up anyway, just worse with the dairy and soy), and I just don't want to have to do a diet again if I don't have to!

FWIW I eat a vegan diet now, with very little junk, though I'm obviously doing CLO and would consider the butter if I thought my son wouldn't react to it. I also just bought some kefir grains and plan on trying them with almond milk and coconut milk.

Enzymes alone might work, at least according to the book "Enzymes for Autism"...the author says that a lot of kids with autism apparently have leaky guts and the enzymes heal them. www.enzymestuff.com is the website that goes with the book.
#374 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hey New Mama,
It sounds like our situations are really different (my acne is pretty severe) but I found that I had to go through the SCD diet to get any results - right now it looks like things are pointing towards all grains (including corn and potatoes ) I'm doing 90,000 units Vit A/9,000 units Vit D CLO, as well as probiotics, zinc and glutamine. I imagine this will only help you if you think the acne and spitting up are related to the same thing. The other mamas here will have much more info if your babe's issues are more likely to be GI on their own.
#375 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Can I talk about CLO?

Uh, I know. I'm on day 3 of taking that nastiness, and it casts a palor over my entire day, knowing I have to take it. I have figured out though that if I mix it with apple cider and stir constantly between gulps (to keep it suspended) it goes down easier. I swear, the cup that I take it in has been designated my clo cup because even after washing it smells like fish!
Thanks for the advice about not doing the smoothie - I was sure that was going to be my ace up my sleeve Glad I didn't waste a smoothie.
#376 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000
Uh, I know. I'm on day 3 of taking that nastiness, and it casts a palor over my entire day, knowing I have to take it. I have figured out though that if I mix it with apple cider and stir constantly between gulps (to keep it suspended) it goes down easier. I swear, the cup that I take it in has been designated my clo cup because even after washing it smells like fish!
Thanks for the advice about not doing the smoothie - I was sure that was going to be my ace up my sleeve Glad I didn't waste a smoothie.
Here's a thought then: ACV and CLO mixed? With smoothie chaser?

Can we take ACV on SCD?

"All acronyms all the time!"
#377 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
Can I just use commercial goat yogurt for my yogurt starter? The price on the SCD dairy free starter is ridiculous! $30 plus $15 for shipping, and with my luck DD won't even be able to tolerate it! Or what about using regular yogurt and then using a bit of the resulting batch to culture another batch (and throwing the 1st batch out), which I would think would have only a very very tiny bit of cow dairy in it. I know you're not supposed to do that but could I at least do it for a trial before I go blow $45 on this yogurt starter?

I really don't know what good allergy testing would do--the only common allergens I'm eating are eggs and nuts...actually I just started nuts up today after a 5 day break so I suppose that could be the cause of today's issues, or it could just be the fact that she's decided she only needs 9 hours of sleep at night and her 1 1/2 hours of daytime naps are not enough so she's overtired. I guess if tomorrow sucks again I will have to take out the nuts and see if that helps.
All the goat yougarts I have seen have additives. I used the sheep yougart as a starter for my goat milk. It is expensive. You could also do yougormet. It has milk in the starter but again would be a trace ammount compared to starting it w/yogurt.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#378 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I find the blue ice plain to be very lightly flavored. We took a lot of clo as children and my mother tried some flavored a couple of times to see if that would make it go down easier. It was always worse. I hear that the flavors are much better these days but I'll stick with the plain. Oh and never put it in a smoothie. I made that mistake once. No ammount of fruit flavor will completely cover up fish oil.

our family is <>< and :
#379 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 07:16 PM
EBG

Quote:
Can I talk about CLO?

Same here.... first I tried Carlsons and then switched to GOL and was surprised how yuckie it was. But I think it's because they don't remove the taste only try to mask it with the lemon and mint which doesn't really work. I was thinking how am I going to finish that bottle, was it rancid etc etc. It's not rancid CLO should taste slightly fishy but not too fishy. Anyway the more you take the less disgusting it is. So I finished it...However, I went back to Carlson's. I just can't afford the other brands.
#380 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 07:25 PM

Ok lets talk poop for a minuite. DD and I are having pale softish poops for the past few days. I'm still really feeling die off from the CO. Could this be related? I know pale poop is a celiac thing but we haven't had any grains for 10+ weeks.

I've completely stopped taking enzymes. I just can't take the daily stomach ache from them. I was really hopeful that they would be part of the key to healing us but if I can't eat them...

I am making keifer, beet Kvass, and creme fresch to make into cultured butter right now. Go me! (and of course yogurt)

I made up a batch of yogurt the other day and it came out all whey. Anyone know why??? It is all this yellow liquid. Almost nothing white/solid at all. How could this happen?

Jane, do you know how long I should finish my keifer? Is 24 extra hours enough? Do I have to make it for 24 hours with the grains first? I checked out Dom's site last night but couldn't figure it out from there.

DD and I woke up at 4ish am in a puddle. After trying to get her back to sleep for a while I decided to change us both. Never did get us back to sleep and we got up for the day when DH's alarm went off at 6. (usually get up at 8). We then took a nap from 12 to 3. It is amazing how unrestful a 3 hour nap is when you are sleeping with a toddler who shrieks everytime the nipple comes out of her mouth. I'm thinking her teeth are moving again. Man this kid teethes like a glaicer...

our family is <>< and :
#381 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
All the goat yougarts I have seen have additives. I used the sheep yougart as a starter for my goat milk. It is expensive. You could also do yougormet. It has milk in the starter but again would be a trace ammount compared to starting it w/yogurt.
Hmmm...where did you get the sheep yogurt?
#382 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
Jane, do you know how long I should finish my keifer? Is 24 extra hours enough? Do I have to make it for 24 hours with the grains first? I checked out Dom's site last night but couldn't figure it out from there.
Not that I'm an expert...but I read somewhere you are supposed to do kefir for 24 hrs with the grains in and then another 24 in the frig.

Do you mind if I ask why you're doing kefir? Are you feeling like you're not making enough progress? I've thought about doing kefir, either goat milk (if DD can tolerate it) or juice kefir. I know it's illegal, but I feel like we're not making any progress as is so what can it hurt?
#383 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I made up a batch of yogurt the other day and it came out all whey. Anyone know why??? It is all this yellow liquid. Almost nothing white/solid at all. How could this happen?
this just happened to me too, patty. maybe it was too hot? it smelled yeasty. ick.

need to go but want to respond to more!

i couldn't do the enzymes either. i wish i could. i think.

and i'm still attached at the nipples for naps too. i'm sorry!
#384 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 09:53 PM

i'm thinking about kefir too (i give it to dh each morning) as i, too, am feeling crappier than when i started. feeling no progress. sigh. encourage me!
#385 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 09:55 PM

i'm insane; i just added "i think it's working" to my sig, and now i'm doubting the whole thing again.
#386 of 1002 Old 05-12-2006, 10:55 PM

Two reasons to try keifer right now.
To make more progress and my cooler yogurt maker broke and all I can make at once right now is 1 qt and we are going through a gallon or more a week so I have 3/4 of a gallon not fermented yet for this week and I'm getting more tomorrow (it is a once a week pick up thing for raw milk). Keifer ferments at room temp so I can do a bunch of that at once. Plus I knew that my neighbor had grains she could give me so that makes it super easy to do.

Who knows but I have become convinced that I shouldn't be so frightened of the yeasts in the keifer. We'll see if I'm right.

And I've been reading that imunology thread. WOW!!! I've learned some stuff that hopefully will help me get even better.

our family is <>< and :
#387 of 1002 Old 05-13-2006, 01:26 AM

hugs to all you mamas! I just wanted to point out (and I know you'll love me for this!) that it doesn't matter what "common" allergens you are eating. If you have a leaky gut you can have allergies to anything. I personally know someone who was blood tested and had allergies to almost every veggie including lettuce. We had allergies to peas, carrots avacados, bananas, plums etc. It's not really about finding the allergies, it's about healing the gut to prevent the leakage. The allergies aren't really an issue-the damaged gut is. The SCD is really amazing for this!
#388 of 1002 Old 05-13-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
Enzymes alone might work, at least according to the book "Enzymes for Autism"...the author says that a lot of kids with autism apparently have leaky guts and the enzymes heal them. www.enzymestuff.com is the website that goes with the book.
I perused the site (thank you for the link) but I'm unclear...if doing all these supplements seems to clear up my skin and/or help my son stop spitting up, do I need to continue taking the enzymes forever? Or is the thought that I'll be getting my gut back to a healthy state and it will continue to be re-balanced on its own?

I will continue the zinc, CLO, CO and probiotics (either in pill form -- expensive! -- or kefir/yogurt) but it would be nice if I could drop the enzymes eventually.

Am I getting ahead of myself, lol?

#389 of 1002 Old 05-13-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
If you only have lactose intolerance, you can eat the yogurt and the cheeses. You could also be allergic to casein-in this case even the yogurt won't help. However, you can make yogurt with coconut milk, you just need to add honey for the bacteria to eat. You can also try an SCD recommended probiotic first. As the gut heals many people are able add dairy in later stages. Or try goat's milk as the milk proteins consist of smaller globules that are easier to digest.
Yes, DS is pretty allergic to cow casein... like I said even the butter oil he can't do. And goat's is fine, he drinks at least 2 cups/day of goat yogurt. I learned yesterday why the proteins and fats are smaller, it's b/c goats have one stomach like us, and cows have 3! So their milk is more like human milk.
#390 of 1002 Old 05-13-2006, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles
That looks like a good one. Do you mean the amount of omega 3 in this one is not good or the Blue Ice?
The one you linked to looks pretty cost effective too.
Sorry I meant that a very high amount of omega 3 to consume in low vitamin CLO is not good for the body. If you need to take like 10 tablespoons of Nordic Naturals to get 20,000IU of recommended vitamin A.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page