Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does organic unflavored gelatin exist?
#422 of 1002 Old 05-13-2006, 09:56 PM

chasmyn--i'd freeze the beef for 14 days because i am cheap. (well, i'm not really cheap, but seeing as i spend all my money on food and still feel i can't affrd all we need....) i think i read in eflf that pathogens in beef are killed after it's been frozen for 14 days. not that what happens when you leave it out for a few hours is necessarily the same thing--but it's what i would do. hypothetically. so maybe not really.

ff--thanks for this info and support.
Quote:
Ideally the cells in the gut regenerate every 3-7 days depending on the individual. So a steady gut healing regime employing everything you have at your disposal (enzymes, nutrition and supplements) could really heal you very quickly. There are no concrete answers and so many variables. You could potentially heal the gut lining, but not rid your body entirely of a fungal overgrowth, or a parasitic infection or have something else going on... It is trial and error but it CAN be done. It's just a matter of really paying attention to your body and modifying accordingly. That's what we're all here for!
i'm thinking that something that's going wrong with us is due to the nuts. and i'm not sure how to do this diet without nuts. without going nuts. haha.

i've thought about gse but got scared, particularly bc i'm nursing. i've had the stuff in my basket twice and put it back.

i haven't really had enzymes for almost two months, i guess, since i've had no raw foods. so maybe that's what's so messed up with me. maybe the girls get enzymes whenever they nurse? is that true? they still have faint scars from their diaper rash when i took the enzymes (less than 1/4 capsule per meal). i'm planning to try again when the pascalite clay comes. i also just checked out the radiant life site and am thinking about their enzymes too.... i'm going to get their clo and see if the girls will take it, tho they're fine with the garden of life lemon mint usually. i'd like to get more vitamins in less oil, of course. and should i be taking it at the same time i take the activator x? gah. so many expensive mistakes! let's write a book when we're all healed!

tips--i put roe in the fish casserole. i call them fish balls and the girls search for them.

gotta run
#423 of 1002 Old 05-13-2006, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine
I made yogurt, and while 24 hours aren't quite up, I just checked it and it is rather runny. And a bit yellow on top. What went wrong?
It is runny untill you put it in the fridge and let it cool for 8 hours. I have found that letting it go for 36 hours makes is much firmer.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#424 of 1002 Old 05-13-2006, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
Does organic unflavored gelatin exist?
I couldn't find it when I googled. From what I understand, pesticides are stored in the fat of plants and animals. So, my priority is to buy organic fats (olive oil, canola, and butter) and organic meats. And I buy organic vegetables if they are conventionally high in pesticides: http://www.foodnews.org/reportcard.php This link explains which produce are highest and lowest in pesticide residue. Organic fats are very expensive, so I don't worry as much about ingredients which are not organic, such as gelatin.

HTH, Pat

I have a blog.
#425 of 1002 Old 05-14-2006, 11:26 AM

We have had great success with the diet. My kids and I all had significant allergies and they each had very different behavioral and neurological issues. After a couple months on the diet there was a huge change. Dd's teeth are also much better (they came in without enamel) Still working on the teeth thing, but you can see a distinct line where the enamel has started to form. Really bizarre.

I got rid of horribly systemic yeast, acne, depression, fatigue, irritability and eczema. I stopped losing hair and slept better. I got diagnosed with celiac disease (finally) and I lost a ton of weight.

Ds is no longer on the autism spectrum, dd isn't but hasn't been diagnosed off of it yet. She is a very different kid. She never slept (neither did) and now they do. Their terrible rashes are gone. Cradle cap is gone. Hyperactivity-gone. They now listen. Dd started speaking and developing new skills as soon as the diet was introduced. SHe is no longer a cranky nightmare child. Ds can sit and read. Our lives are completely different. I am very lucky because I can in to this last year with practitioners who totally got it. I had alot of info off the bat about supplements and things. I had already been doing CLO, L glutamine, Pascalite, zinc, MSM, and probiotics. I had been doing enzymes, but once I tried the Houston's it was a different world. Major dietary changes happened with this diet though, as we were vegan and couldn't possibly believe (and neither did my care providers with the exception of my herbalist/nutritionist) that diet had anything to do with it. I/we ate SO well. Ah well, live and learn!

We are still ona modified version, but getting more strict to see if we can really heal celiac disease-my DhT, MD thinks we can.
#426 of 1002 Old 05-14-2006, 11:27 AM

We have had great success with the diet. My kids and I all had significant allergies and they each had very different behavioral and neurological issues. Dd was failure to thrive from birth and going down hill fast. After a couple months on the diet there was a huge change. Dd's teeth are also much better (they came in without enamel) Still working on the teeth thing, but you can see a distinct line where the enamel has started to form. Really bizarre.

I got rid of horribly systemic yeast, acne, depression, fatigue, irritability and eczema. I stopped losing hair and slept better. I got diagnosed with celiac disease (finally) and I lost a ton of weight.

Ds is no longer on the autism spectrum, dd isn't but hasn't been diagnosed off of it yet. She is a very different kid. She never slept (neither did) and now they do. Their terrible rashes are gone. Cradle cap is gone. Hyperactivity-gone. They now listen. Dd started speaking and developing new skills as soon as the diet was introduced. SHe is no longer a cranky nightmare child. Ds can sit and read. Our lives are completely different. I am very lucky because I can in to this last year with practitioners who totally got it. I had alot of info off the bat about supplements and things. I had already been doing CLO, L glutamine, Pascalite, zinc, MSM, and probiotics. I had been doing enzymes, but once I tried the Houston's it was a different world. Major dietary changes happened with this diet though, as we were vegan and couldn't possibly believe (and neither did my care providers with the exception of my herbalist/nutritionist) that diet had anything to do with it. I/we ate SO well. Ah well, live and learn!

We are still ona modified version, but getting more strict to see if we can really heal celiac disease-my DhT, MD thinks we can.
#427 of 1002 Old 05-14-2006, 11:53 AM

firefaery--what enzymes were you using before Houston's? Do you think it was the amount of enzymes in Houston's that were effective or the specific combinations? I compared Houston's to the Digest Gold and it seems like they pretty much have the same enzymes with the Digest Gold usually having more of each particular enzymes, so it seems like Digest Gold is a better deal than doing at least 2 different Houston's per meal/snack. Of course they each have a couple of enzymes that the other didn't have, so it's hard to say for sure. So I wonder if Houston's would be more effective sometimes...it's so hard to know if one particular thing will make that big of a difference, KWIM?
#428 of 1002 Old 05-14-2006, 01:07 PM

I put the yogurt in the frig. Guess it got a bit firmer. I am eating some now and under the top layer, which was the firmest, it was quite runny. Lumpy. It tasted ok, but not the homemade yogurt taste I remember.

I used pasteurized but not homogenized organic whole milk and yogurt.
#429 of 1002 Old 05-14-2006, 02:23 PM

I had used the Garden of Life enzymes (for me, not the kiddos) and had tried the wobenzyme.

I really think Houston's are awesome because of the way you give them in different combinations. IT really worked for us. I believe they work quicker for healing purposes (at least in our case) because of it. I also found that they were stronger...though I only tried the digest gold once, and only because I was waiting for my Houston shipment.
#430 of 1002 Old 05-14-2006, 03:17 PM

Just returned from vacation. Went to Cayman Brac and drank coconut milk straight from the coconuts. OMG it was soooo good. (I hadn't had real coconut milk since I was a child.) What a HUGE difference from the nasty canned stuff. I even smuggled 2 through customs to bring home.

I've read what I've missed and have to say that we've been on SCD for 4 months now and have made tremendous progress. I even had a tiny bit of lunch meat , a small small piece of chocolate (which didn't taste nearly as good as I expected it to), and hmmmm. . . one other SCD illegal thing this last week with NO adverse affects.

I am not going to do anymore SCD illegals for a while (other than the few supplements we do) 'cause I really want to do this right and be able to have some grains SOON!
#431 of 1002 Old 05-14-2006, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
I LOVE peanut butter, but it is soooo bad for you for so many reasons. I just allow a jar every couple of weeks in my home and put my head in the sand. They are really moldy (as are cashews) and can aggravate a mold allergy/issue. They are also not truly a nut and many people have issues with legumes.
I've started having a minor, minor relapse on my acne - could be my period starting in a few days, but I've decided to cut out peanut butter just in case. Thanks for your input on the PB - maybe I'll start with almond butter if I reintroduce. Your point on legumes was interesting - I'm really hoping that I respond well to them when I introduce them in a month or so - I really would like some variety in my protein sources. Meat is a pain in the rear to prepare for every freaking meal!

Quote:
Ideally the cells in the gut regenerate every 3-7 days depending on the individual. So a steady gut healing regime employing everything you have at your disposal (enzymes, nutrition and supplements) could really heal you very quickly. There are no concrete answers and so many variables. You could potentially heal the gut lining, but not rid your body entirely of a fungal overgrowth, or a parasitic infection or have something else going on... It is trial and error but it CAN be done. It's just a matter of really paying attention to your body and modifying accordingly. That's what we're all here for!
FF, you're taking glutamine while pregnant - Did you have any concerns or precautions you took about it? The mainstream info advises against, but I think they'd advise against lettuce if they had the chance I want to start weeding out the supplements that I think aren't doing much or could be a bit risky during pg (evening primrose, enzymes, kombucha, zinc, fake probiotics) and only concentrate on the ones I have a lot of faith in what they're doing (glutamine, real-food probiotics, CLO). Would love your opinion!
#432 of 1002 Old 05-14-2006, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn
Oh, also? How bad do you think it might be if say hypothetically 3 lbs of ground beef (organic! grassfed!) were left out (wrapped, unopened) for about 9 or 10 hours? Would you (hypothetically) still cook it and eat it?
My take is a little different (but don't tell my employer - this is not sanctioned by the health department!)
The big concern with the meat is going to be spoilage. There aren't even any laws governing how long restaurants can keep raw meat around because everyone knows that it spoils way before you would be concerned about it making someone sick, especially when you're going to cook it. The freezing step will help with parasites, but only nominally with bacteria and viruses. Freezing is how they preserve those cultures in a lab, so it doesn't have the destructive force that you might think.
With 9-10 hours though, it's possible that it did spoil. Make sure you smell carefully - if it smells the slightest bit off, I wouldn't serve it.
#433 of 1002 Old 05-14-2006, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Just returned from vacation. Went to Cayman Brac and drank coconut milk straight from the coconuts. OMG it was soooo good. (I hadn't had real coconut milk since I was a child.) What a HUGE difference from the nasty canned stuff. I even smuggled 2 through customs to bring home.
Can you buy coconuts at an Asian store? I bought them here when preg to drink yhe milk for my bp.

Thanks for sharing some success stories!
#434 of 1002 Old 05-14-2006, 10:20 PM

Okay, I think I may be ready to move past the bargaining stage regarding SCD.

But I have some questions...can it be done without eating meat? I think I'd be okay with eggs and other dairy products.

My one concern with dairy, though, is that it seems like dairy is one of the things that makes my son's spitting up worse. (I eat a mostly vegan diet, but I used to cheat at the local custard stand and have a grilled cheese sandwich and a dish of custard...and when ds was a tiny baby he would be sick all evening spitting up and moaning after that.)

So is there any hope for my doing SCD without meat, and maybe without dairy (I'm assuming I'd have to avoid dairy)?

My other question is that my son is super healthy besides the spitting up (until six months of age or so he was off the charts for height and weight, only had one cold, etc.) -- does that mean anything? (I guess that's still bargaining, lol.) He is still spitting up, though, even if it's just in his own mouth. Poor baby!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#435 of 1002 Old 05-14-2006, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama
I am still trying to discern what all is legal on the SCD. So, take my opinion with a grain of salt (if that is allowed).

Quote:
So is there any hope for my doing SCD without meat, and maybe without dairy (I'm assuming I'd have to avoid dairy)?
Our son spit up and screamed with gas pains, until I eliminated corn, soy, broccoli, cabbage, onions, garlic, wheat, cinnamon, and many other foods. But then he never even burped or was gassy. I really think there are many foods that are hard on the gut; so even if you tried, it couldn't hurt. I found getting enough protein is very hard though without meat or dairy. Is fish legal? I ate a ton of salmon (not on SCD, just the elimination diet for food intolerances) and it is high in good fats.

I hope something in there helps.

Pat

I have a blog.
#436 of 1002 Old 05-14-2006, 11:31 PM

Pat- On scd you are eliminating all but monosacharides. So grains, sugar, starches, lactose for example are all avoided. Meats are fine, as are fruits and veggies and dairy that you have removed all the lactose from (not lactaid though) and honey and nuts. Legumes are eventually fine once you have been on the diet for a while. The idea is that gi problems come from an imbalance of gut microbes and this diet is an attempt to kill off the bad guys (yeast or bacteria or others) and give the gut a chance to heal from the damage done to it so that it can keep itself healthy in the future. Since monosacharides are digested very quickly and absorbed they don't hang arround in the gut to feed the bad guys and so they die off. Many of us have added some other things to this basic diet in hopes that it will help us get better faster. Both foods/suppliments that kill off the bad guys as well as foods/suppliments that heal the gut from the damage done to it. In addition we are taking probiotics to populate our guts with the good guys that should have been there the whole time but for whatever reason aren't.

our family is <>< and :
#437 of 1002 Old 05-14-2006, 11:37 PM

Quote:

But I have some questions...can it be done without eating meat? I think I'd be okay with eggs and other dairy products.

My one concern with dairy, though, is that it seems like dairy is one of the things that makes my son's spitting up worse. (I eat a mostly vegan diet, but I used to cheat at the local custard stand and have a grilled cheese sandwich and a dish of custard...and when ds was a tiny baby he would be sick all evening spitting up and moaning after that.)

My other question is that my son is super healthy besides the spitting up (until six months of age or so he was off the charts for height and weight, only had one cold, etc.) -- does that mean anything? (I guess that's still bargaining, lol.) He is still spitting up, though, even if it's just in his own mouth. Poor baby!
Have you tried goat diary? There are lots of products out there. Milk, cheese, butter. It doesn't taste just like cows milk but some of them are pretty darn close.

It would be difficult to do scd w/o any meat or dairy at all. You will eat lots and lots of eggs. The three of us go through 4 or more dozen a week and we eat meat and DH doesn't eat breakfast at home. DD and I eat eggs for breakfast nearly every day. Most of the recipes call for lots of eggs because they are a good binding agent since there is no gluten or gums allowed on this diet. You can't eat beans or legumes untill 6 months into the diet. You can't ever eat soy. I'm not trying to tell you to not do this diet. I think it has been a great thing for our family. I'm just trying to be really honest with you about it.

Good luck to you figuring this all out.

our family is <>< and :
#438 of 1002 Old 05-14-2006, 11:59 PM

Shanna-I deferred to my health care providers on the supplements. They are extremely knowledgable and very cautious. THey gave me the go-ahead for the glutamine...it's only an amino acid.

Enzymes are really safe during pregnancy, and zinc is absolutely essential-it's one if the top minerals women are deficient in during pregnancy. Absolutely essential for building new cells. Just get a really good brand. CLO-clearly a great choice! I also take MSM and several other things that I never questioned just because I knew they were fine. But all my care providers (midwives, herbalist, nutritionist, chiro, homeopath, MD (who is also an herbalist) etc.) know what I take. I research things to death, but the things I questioned were all okayed without a second thought.
#439 of 1002 Old 05-15-2006, 12:43 AM

Quote:

I think you could do it without meat but it would certainly be easier with meat. I would definitely second the recommendation for trying goat dairy. And you will probably go through tons of eggs--I eat a lot of meat (probably average 1/2 lb/day) and I still manage to go through almost a dozen eggs a day by myself, though I don't do dairy.
#440 of 1002 Old 05-15-2006, 12:45 AM

How exactly do you take the Houston enzymes? Do you have to take 1 of each of the three types with each meal, or does it depend on what you are eating? It would get awfully pricey to take 1 of each per meal/snack... (Maybe someone who uses them can give me a days worth of meals and say which enzymes they take with each?)
#441 of 1002 Old 05-15-2006, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
You can't eat beans or legumes untill 6 months into the diet.
Oh my. Six months?!? I am still waiting on the book, but in my mind had decided to read it and try the diet. I guess I was thinking it wouldn't be THAT different than what I am doing, since I already cut out the grains and mostly all sugar. But I am starting to think that I am kidding myself.

I am pretty much where you are at, New Mama. I can do dairy and eggs, but still wondering about the meat. Does the intro diet just do chicken? I remember reading that on the website. The only meat I can really get interested in eating again is beef. Don't know if I can ever eat chicken again.
#442 of 1002 Old 05-15-2006, 12:58 AM

Moonshine-I'm with you. Chicken grosses me out. I can't really do much fish either. When I started doing animal products I thought I was going to die, but now I really am liking beef, duck and lamb.

For the enzymes I just match them to what I'm eating for the most part. In between meals I only do No Fenol and Peptizyde.
#443 of 1002 Old 05-15-2006, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
Pat- On scd you are eliminating all but monosacharides.
Thank you so much for the Cliff's Notes version. Wow. Only monosacharides. Aren't you all hungry? Monosacharides don't seem to hold my hunger at bay. They are digested so quickly. I see that this is the point. Are you eating a lot of fats? I know that a high protein diet will help to keep you from feeling hungry.

And I would suspect that without a lot of fiber that there are consitpation issues? Just trying to comprehend the challenges. Imposing this on a 5 year old sounds much harder than having limited options for a younger child. Hmmmm....no grains. Like no rice milk, no Rice Dream ice cream? He'd never go for that. I am intrigued by the idea though, I thought the goal of a healthy diet was to *increase* complex carbohydrates. Why are ALL grains eliminated, not just gluten? And what is the issue with legumes? Is it because they break down to sugars that feed the yeast? What about potatoes? This would be very hard for a vegetarian.

I think I need a tutorial on probiotics. What makes some yeast good and some bad? I understand that some types of bacteria in the gut are beneficial.

What about vitamins and minerals lost during the elimination periods of the diet? It sounds like these could get out of whack. Is everyone taking supplements? I saw that the bioavailibilty of the supplements is critical (and expensive).

Thanks again for the explanation.

Pat

I have a blog.
#444 of 1002 Old 05-15-2006, 01:15 AM

Fats and protein are what keep you full...increasing the fats will help a bunch.

Grains take a long time to digest, and therefore feed the yeast/bacteria/parasites. Gluten is a problem for many because of the protein, but all grains will feed yeast-which is why they aren't allowed on any anti-candida diet.

Complex carbs are there! Just not in the form of grains. You get to eat all the veggies you want with the exception of certain starchy veggies like potatoes.

There are plenty of great alternatives to ice cream that are perfectly legal on this diet. Some simple, some more complex.

We never had any constipation issues with the diet. You can eat cooked fruit and veggies so you do get fiber. They are introduced slowly, but they are there.

Bacteria is only "bad" when it's out of balance. We all have it, we all need it. When certain strains grow out of control then things become probelmatic. Candida doesn't exist in a healthy gut. A tyoe of bacteria that is similar does, but it only becomes the rampant strain of candida once it rages out of control and becomes destructive.

There are some supplements that are beneficial. Understand though, with a damaged gut even if you are eating a "healthy" diet you aren't absorbing nutrients the way you need to be. So eliminating these particular foods for brief times isn't really as bad as you may think if in the long run it means utliizing more of the nutrients you are taking in. HTH.
#445 of 1002 Old 05-15-2006, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the clarification and details.

Pat

I have a blog.
#446 of 1002 Old 05-15-2006, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Shanna-I deferred to my health care providers on the supplements. They are extremely knowledgable and very cautious. THey gave me the go-ahead for the glutamine...it's only an amino acid.

Enzymes are really safe during pregnancy, and zinc is absolutely essential-it's one if the top minerals women are deficient in during pregnancy. Absolutely essential for building new cells. Just get a really good brand. CLO-clearly a great choice! I also take MSM and several other things that I never questioned just because I knew they were fine. But all my care providers (midwives, herbalist, nutritionist, chiro, homeopath, MD (who is also an herbalist) etc.) know what I take. I research things to death, but the things I questioned were all okayed without a second thought.
I thought the same thing about the glutamine - can't figure out why conventional medical info cautions against. I would hate to stop taking it because I feel so confident that it's helping my healing.

I've been thinking a lot about your opinion against the multi-vits, and I think it's a really interesting point. I just feel a little lost about what to focus on. Without doing the grains, I'm leaning towards a B-Vit supplment and probably folate. I'm going to look more into the zinc, but I think I'm currently taking 50mg, which seems a little high...... The enzymes I'm torn on, since I'm really cutting out foods my body isn't doing well on (and, PS, I'm ecstatic tha I'm seeing correlations!). I'm strictly on meat and veggies right now, and I really would like to do away with anything that isn't necessary......
#447 of 1002 Old 05-15-2006, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Understand though, with a damaged gut even if you are eating a "healthy" diet you aren't absorbing nutrients the way you need to be. So eliminating these particular foods for brief times isn't really as bad as you may think if in the long run it means utliizing more of the nutrients you are taking in. HTH.
YES! This is finally what got me out of denial and onto the diet
And......don't tell the fates, but I think it's working!
#448 of 1002 Old 05-15-2006, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000
I'm going to look more into the zinc, but I think I'm currently taking 50mg, which seems a little high......
Shanna, I was looking into zinc supplements for our son. I read that very high doses of zinc interferes with cooper absorption, and calcium absorption. Interestingly, I also noted that the nursing mother's stores of zinc can be depleted during lactation, and the suggestion was for supplementation with zinc for infants as young as 7 months. (And mothers.) http://dietary-supplements.info.nih....s/cc/zinc.html

Pat

I have a blog.
#449 of 1002 Old 05-15-2006, 10:33 AM
EBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamama
Shanna, I was looking into zinc supplements for our son. I read that very high doses of zinc interferes with cooper absorption, and calcium absorption. Interestingly, I also noted that the nursing mother's stores of zinc can be depleted during lactation, and the suggestion was for supplementation with zinc for infants as young as 7 months. (And mothers.) http://dietary-supplements.info.nih....s/cc/zinc.html

Pat
I was also wondering about zinc and if you guys are taking copper with it. I suppose most of you take a cal-mag.

Also about glutamine, can it cause headaches? I took 500 mg 3 times for a few days and I would get these splitting sharp headaches. I cut back to once a day and the headaches seems to be gone.
#450 of 1002 Old 05-15-2006, 11:19 AM

I have a question about supplements -- how much of l-glutamine, msm & zinc are you all taking, and can you reccomend brands? Thanks!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page