Healing the Gut Tribe ~ May - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#541 of 1002 Old 05-17-2006, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
The rasberry mousse recipe in btvc is really really yummy. For making jello just follow the recipe on the gelitan. I omit the suggested sugar/honey. I also put it in anything I am making with broth to give the broth a boost.
Great to know!! I've been over that recipe for some time. And I'm all over those sliced apples in yogurt and egg custard thing
#542 of 1002 Old 05-17-2006, 07:40 PM

Oh, and that was my story that I posted a couple of pages back. Well, my DS's story. I haven't read it in awhile, so not sure if I posted about my depression, but I was depressed for some time. Coincidentally, I was also on birth control pills--coinky dink, I think not But after the depression cleared after lots of drugs helped minimally (finally stopped the BC pills due to $, ended up pregnant w/my son ) BUT the depression cleared, only to be greeted w/anxiety---which is so awful. I personally prefered the depression, b/c the anxiety was all encompassing and painful. At least w/the depression I was too tired and depressed to care, but the anxiety was debilitating, at least for me of course. Nightmares, anxious thoughts CONSTANTLY, anywho it was a freakin' nightmare in itself.

I saw my homeopath, and after the one visit, and a couple of tune-ups after some time, I'm totally anxiety free. And after my 2nd son's birth I ate a good portion of my placenta (raw) and I really think that helped even me out.

hth
Amy
#543 of 1002 Old 05-17-2006, 07:43 PM

Ladies with depression and gut problems --

The first thing I would look at is B vitamins since deficiencies in those are associated with both conditions. An indicator of B6 deficiency is an inability to recall your dreams at night. B12 and folic acid don't usually have signs until you're really low. Other Bs are important. Since you post on this thread, you've got digestive problems so you really need a B supplement that's easily absorbed -- sublingual or liquid. You won't find a liquid without sugar and I'm not sure I know of one that's SCD legal. Perhaps firefaery has found something.

Omega 3s are the other thing that pretty much everyone is low in and it's associated with depression. Huge doses are being used in research -- anywhere from 1 to 20 grams of EPA a day. Stoll in The Omega Connection (on depression) recommends 4 grams of EPA a day. Best to find a low vitamin cod liver oil if you are going to take high doses. I like Nordic Naturals liquid. Vitacost.com has good prices.

Minerals. You aren't absorbing those well either if you are on this thread. Magnesium and zinc are the biggest issues. Low magnesium is associated with muscle spasms, jerking, and twitching. Low zinc with slow growing nails and hair and white spots on nails. Vegetarians tend to be a bit lower in zinc than omnis. Chelated amino acid forms of the minerals are probably your best bet in terms of absorbability -- mag citrate, malate, glycinate, etc.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#544 of 1002 Old 05-17-2006, 08:18 PM

Today my dd had the first formed, good poop she's had in months! She's been through some pretty significant die-off the last couple of days; sweating profusely while napping, and she had the tantrum to beat all tantrums yesterday. But . . . payoff today! yipee. I never expected to see results this quick. I'm so excited!

She had been pooping on the potty months ago and then went through another bout of severe constipation (and then months of mushy poops) so I'm hoping that once this is settled, she'll be willing to try the potty again.
#545 of 1002 Old 05-17-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
I stay away from tuna b/c of the mercury. When we eat fish we mainly eat wild salmon, sockeye if possible. Unfortunately the sugar free smoked salmon that is local is farmed. We have to drive out to NH to get some goat milk butter and pick up their wild smoked salmon that is sugar free the next time we are that way. My 4 yr old devours the stuff

How do you make jello? I just picked up the unorganic stuff, thanks scubamom. I'm bummed b/c it is not the chemicals in the unorganic stuff that bothers me as much as the factory farming that it represents. Sigh.

But would love a jello recipe I'm sure my kids would love it
The ahi tuna steaks are supposed to be wild caught, so I was hoping this made them less toxic. Anyone know for sure? I like salmon too so I could buy that next time.

I have never actually made jello, but I was going to follow the directions on the box!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#546 of 1002 Old 05-17-2006, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn
I highly recommend some kind of stock - very nourishing. I never ate gelatin before SCD but now I find it to be a great snack.

If you can't get DCCC you can always make the 24-hour yogurt and drain out the whey. Are you not eating chicken?
I'm not eating chicken because I'm going from being a vegetarian for 11 years and a vegan for over 3...so eggs and fish are a big enough leap for me!

#547 of 1002 Old 05-17-2006, 08:23 PM

Does anyone know where I could find a source of raw goat's milk? Our HFS has pasteurized goat's milk, but from what I'm reading it sounds like raw is healthier.

#548 of 1002 Old 05-17-2006, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama
The ahi tuna steaks are supposed to be wild caught, so I was hoping this made them less toxic. Anyone know for sure?
Yes, wild fish has fewer toxins than their farmed equivalent. I don't have any #s right here on ahi tuna.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#549 of 1002 Old 05-17-2006, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
The first thing I would look at is B vitamins since deficiencies in those are associated with both conditions. An indicator of B6 deficiency is an inability to recall your dreams at night. B12 and folic acid don't usually have signs until you're really low. Other Bs are important. Since you post on this thread, you've got digestive problems so you really need a B supplement that's easily absorbed -- sublingual or liquid. You won't find a liquid without sugar and I'm not sure I know of one that's SCD legal. Perhaps firefaery has found something.

Omega 3s are the other thing that pretty much everyone is low in and it's associated with depression. Huge doses are being used in research -- anywhere from 1 to 20 grams of EPA a day. Stoll in The Omega Connection (on depression) recommends 4 grams of EPA a day. Best to find a low vitamin cod liver oil if you are going to take high doses. I like Nordic Naturals liquid. Vitacost.com has good prices.

Minerals. You aren't absorbing those well either if you are on this thread. Magnesium and zinc are the biggest issues. Low magnesium is associated with muscle spasms, jerking, and twitching. Low zinc with slow growing nails and hair and white spots on nails. Vegetarians tend to be a bit lower in zinc than omnis. Chelated amino acid forms of the minerals are probably your best bet in terms of absorbability -- mag citrate, malate, glycinate, etc.
Amanda, thanks for all that info. No wonder I'm feeling better! I've been doing all of those things. I've often wondered if I could be getting too much Omega 3s. Guess not.
#550 of 1002 Old 05-17-2006, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama
Does anyone know where I could find a source of raw goat's milk? Our HFS has pasteurized goat's milk, but from what I'm reading it sounds like raw is healthier.
http://www.realmilk.com

Should be able to help you locate sources.

I thought you had said that about being veg, but I couldn't remember...I believe you can still make stock from veggies though, just take out the celery and onion after it is made.
#551 of 1002 Old 05-17-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Amanda, thanks for all that info. No wonder I'm feeling better! I've been doing all of those things. I've often wondered if I could be getting too much Omega 3s. Guess not.
It's hardly possible.

#552 of 1002 Old 05-17-2006, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
Ladies with depression and gut problems --

Do you just dose per bottle instructions, or higher?

Quote:
Hmmm, I just ordered Blue Ice. Maybe I will just try to give that to the kids and order some NN. If I take a high enough dose of NN for dealing with depression, will I be getting enough vit A&D by default?

Quote:
If I do not have any of these symtoms, would this mean that I am not deficient?
#553 of 1002 Old 05-17-2006, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine
Do you just dose per bottle instructions, or higher?

Hmmm, I just ordered Blue Ice. Maybe I will just try to give that to the kids and order some NN. If I take a high enough dose of NN for dealing with depression, will I be getting enough vit A&D by default?
To take enough of the NN to get the recomended minimum of 20,000 iu of vitamin A daily for healing it is like an entire box every day. Better bet would be to take both together. Some of the high vitamin stuff and some of the high efa stuff every day.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#554 of 1002 Old 05-17-2006, 09:47 PM

moonshine--
Let's see if firefaery has a rec on a SCD-friendly B and look at the dose. (no pressure on firefaery. we can all search for something otherwise and I'll have to learn more about SCD)

On the CLO, it depends on how much you take. Watch the A and D. Some people use a combination of a regular CLO and a lower vitamin like NN, some people take such large amounts that NN would give them plenty. Start adding up the cost of the CLO at these large doses and that might tell you where your limit is.

On the minerals, dollars-to-dougnuts you are low in magnesium because the western diet is these days. But with a lot of fresh vegetables, you probably get enough magnesium. If you eat meat you probably are getting enough zinc. But in both of these cases, you might benefit from some supplementation, it's hard to say. I wouldn't over-do it on any minerals. Both metametrix.com and doctorsdata.com offer red blood cell tests for minerals that would be really good to get for anyone with serious health or mental health issues.

How bad is your depression? If you are struggling a lot, you might consider amino acid therapy as well. Here's my amino acid thread.

#555 of 1002 Old 05-17-2006, 10:01 PM

I need a new calcium rec.

I just ordered some natural calm mag last night so now what's a good calcium to get?

I was taking Kirkman's cal/mag liquid and it really made a difference in how I feel.
#556 of 1002 Old 05-17-2006, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
To take enough of the NN to get the recomended minimum of 20,000 iu of vitamin A daily for healing it is like an entire box every day. Better bet would be to take both together. Some of the high vitamin stuff and some of the high efa stuff every day.
And best to get the liquid for the sake of cost at these high doses.

#557 of 1002 Old 05-17-2006, 10:07 PM

Amanda,
Thank you so much for sharing that thread. All you ladies here are awesome.
#558 of 1002 Old 05-17-2006, 10:16 PM

this afternoon DD had a firmish poopie. In it were the undigested raisins & dried cranberries she ate this morning. They were whole & somewhat plumped up. Besides indicating that she didn't chew them does this mean there is something else going on with her digestion that she not digesting the raisins.

She's 2.5 yrs old.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#559 of 1002 Old 05-17-2006, 10:54 PM

i did lots of omega threes while pregnant for depression--i think it's the only thing that helped these girls. i posted at the beginning of the april thread about my depression/anxiety. taking all these supplements is awfully familiar--i used to take so many pills! but i'm convinced my depression is nutritional. i've felt better since i started NT in january, and i think i'd be feeling great if i could just find my balance on SCD. i think i've been giving the best food to the girls and not paying enough attention to the fact that i am still nursing them and that is their best and main source of food still (i think--it must be, right?). so i need to figure a way to eat better. made deviled eggs today--that's helping. but i think i have yeast. i did the spit test tonight, and there weren't strands, but heavy bits that slowly sank a little. so i'll see what the morning shows. but i'm guessing that's it and i am CLUELESS as to what to do if i have yeast. the girls had yeasty rashes, which is what really started me on this diet, and their bms used to fit the yeast description.....

so dda has been really sick. the kind of sick that i would have gotten antibiotics for a few months ago. she seems on the mend, but behavior has reverted--not all the way, but it's really upsetting me. it's so hard to tell what's normal and what's caused by something not being right with them. and i have to say, i think if a behavior disturbs me, then it's not "normal," kwim? my 17 m.o. shouldn't be hitting me and trying to hurt me. right? these past few days have sucked. and i think it's partially the rememdies i've been using--lactose based. sigh. so they're out for a while. and only honey on the morning yogurt and in the ketchup. no fruit. i really don't know how/how long to do this. and we're going on a trip next week. it will not be easy. at all.

pookietooth--how long have you been at this? my dh says the same thing about the kitchen. two weeks ago we had a pretty big fight about it. i asked mhim to come to the kitchen with me. he does sometimes now. but we had a year of therapy before the girls were born. otherwise we wouldn't be surviving all this. it's so tough. i hope it gets better for you. dh just started reading sugar blues for me. i think the key for us is getting him to really understand why we're doing this. it's a slow process, but it's starting.

yep--so i've done a cal/mag/zinc, a b complex, and omega 3s (tho i've backed off and may now up it again), in addition to a really good multivitamin (i think it's good anyway), plus the clo and vit c, and i think it's worked really well for my depression and anxiety. i used to have 5 panic attacks a day. that was on conventional medication--i was to sue the @ssholes who told me i needed more more more. i also found a better therapist, but she still medicated me. i haven't seen a therapist for over a year (she failed to identify ppd in me--gah), but, like i said, since i started NT and really focusing on getting nutrition into me, i'm pretty good. i used to FREAK OUT if the girls missed a nap/woke early or if my plans changed. but the other day my sister called saying she had a flat and couldn't come over, and for the first time i didn't freak. i thought, ok, we'll just hang out. it was fine. i hope it's not a fluke because we're getting ready to move to providence, in with my mom while dh starts a new job and we look for a house somewhere in rhode island. i'm a little tense.

sorry for the journal--just so much to respond to!

to any new mamas--try SCD. it can't hurt (i don't think), and it has taught me so much about food. tho i have so much more to learn!

tell me about yeast!

(chlobo--my girls can't digest them either, so, sadly, i'm waiting to give them to them--their former fave snacks!--because supposedly whatever you can't digest is hurting you.)
#560 of 1002 Old 05-17-2006, 11:45 PM

nicolena -- I could go on and on about the stuff that used to bother me that doesn't any more. We can get pretty crazy it seems.

I'll be gone for the weekend starting in the morning, so if I don't respond it's not because I'm ignoring you all.

#561 of 1002 Old 05-17-2006, 11:50 PM

I have what is probably a silly question: When going to the next phase of eating, does one need to make sure they tolerate ALL foods on the previous phase before moving on?

As in, in phase 1, bananas are included, but I find they make my stool loose again (at least when I eat more than half of one). Do I have to wait until I can tolerate bananas before moving to phase 2, or can I just skip the bananas and move on? I never really ate them much before SCD, and I'm anxious to have an avacado :
#562 of 1002 Old 05-18-2006, 12:12 AM

I use Designs for Health B Supreme. IT's not a liquid, but it's the one I really felt made the biggest difference for me. I also take a sublingual B-12 in addition-the B-12 in the B Supreme isn't the best form.
#563 of 1002 Old 05-18-2006, 12:19 AM

Just to make addendums: I just realized that it is cocoa powder that is high in magnesium, rather than chocolate bars. :

We have had excellent emotional support with classical homeopathy. Dh was very depressed and is a new man. I highly recommend seeing a classical homeopath for professional evaluation and proscribing.

We use Sambucol for Kids for colds and any illness. It has echinecea, elderberry extract and propolis to support the immune system, congestion and coughs. I give it at the first sign of sniffles with large doses of Vit. C and we don't get sick. There is Sambucol for Adults also.

Btw, 17 month olds hit. It is an exploratory phase to evaluate the large motor movement. It is fascinating the more effect (ie. reaction) you provide. The key is not to react. Here is a link about this: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...hlight=hitting

Here is a brief list of mercury in fish: http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...h?OpenDocument

Pat

I have a blog.
#564 of 1002 Old 05-18-2006, 12:23 AM

I know we've talked about this before, but for the sake of being repetative...
Depression, as far as I am concerned, is always a nutritional issue. This clicked for me once and for all when I read that all of neurotransmitters found in the brain (think seratonin, dopamine, epinephrine etc.) are manufactured in the gut. If you have gut damage, you may not be making them at all! In which case you NEED to supplement them with SSRI's MAOI's or a natural form of the amino acids responsible for making them. A leaky gut is the quickest way to depression. Also, think about how many studies are being done with schizophrenia being "cured" with a change in diet (usually GF) or even autism being treated this way. It all makes so much sense. One more reason to stay on the healing path.

I just read this last year, and man did it change my perspective on everything! Amanda was already well on her way into this research and was posting many of the things I was just coming across. Just goes to show you once more how everything is interconnected. IT all starts in the gut!
#565 of 1002 Old 05-18-2006, 12:33 AM

I use both the nibs and the beans for different reasons...if I were only getting one it would be the nibs.
Another bonus is that since it's unprocessed there is no chance of lead contamination!
#566 of 1002 Old 05-18-2006, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Sorry I meant that a very high amount of omega 3 to consume in low vitamin CLO is not good for the body. If you need to take like 10 tablespoons of Nordic Naturals to get 20,000IU of recommended vitamin A.
I am confused about this post by JaneS in relation to the current discussion of Omega 3's, CLO, and vitamin A as they relate to depression. Maybe I am not putting this all together properly but I think it was suggested to use a low vitamin CLO such as NN in high doses to get higher Omega 3's to help depression. Is JaneS's info above contradictory to this? I am not trying to doubt anyone, just clarify . I don't know how to quote twice in a post so don't have the quote about the CLO and depression. Amanda-I think you were posting about it? Can you clarify for my feeble and exhausted little brain
#567 of 1002 Old 05-18-2006, 02:17 AM

so, I can't afford the tests for amino acids. Which ones should I experiment with for depression and anxiety, and how much should I start with? Does it matter the brand? If I get frequent migraines, how would that be affected. I know prozac made them worse. Cow's milk makes them worse, even as 24 hour yogurt.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#568 of 1002 Old 05-18-2006, 02:23 AM

Well, Jane's point was more about the vitamin aspect and NOBODY wants to be taking 10 Tbs of CLO a day. Right, people? I take high doses of CLO for depression and it amounts to about two Tbs. of one low vitamin and 2 tsp. of another high vitamin (as I am pregnant and nursing) The only "side effect" you will get from that much CLO is an unhappy bowel. So, it's a matter of finding the right combo.
#569 of 1002 Old 05-18-2006, 02:25 AM

Pookietooth-what you need depends on your specific symptoms. Amanda will be more helpful here. I'm curious to see her response...my gut reaction is that you don't need seratonin. Wondering if she'll agree...

On the website for the Mood Cure there is a test for amino acid deficiencies. Not exactly a gold standard, but a starting point nonetheless. I think it only covers four -but it will give you an idea. I think the site is www.moodcure.com/Questionnaire.html
#570 of 1002 Old 05-18-2006, 02:31 AM

After you take the quiz, go to the side bar and cross reference with the four false mood types for your answers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page