Healing the Gut Tribe ~ May - Page 21 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2006, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just bought some high vitamin Blue Ice clo. Can someone please help me with the dosage for me and my family?

1) I'm pregnant and want to take clo to help with acne and depression.
2) My ds is 3, and he has many signs of leaky gut--eczema, allergies, etc.
3) My dd is almost 2, she doesn't seem to have leaky gut problems, so she probably doesn't need a healing dose.
4) My dh--I don't really think he has leaky gut problems, although he does have allergies.

Anyway, can someone please help me figure out how much clo each of us should take?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2006, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roses1001
I just bought some high vitamin Blue Ice clo. Can someone please help me with the dosage for me and my family?

3) My dd is almost 2, she doesn't seem to have leaky gut problems, so she probably doesn't need a healing dose.
4) My dh--I don't really think he has leaky gut problems, although he does have allergies.

Anyway, can someone please help me figure out how much clo each of us should take?

Thanks.
Roses, here is the link to the WAPF site for CLO dosing:
http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...fications.html

I'm healing a leaky gut for acne as well, and I've been surprised to see just how much healing I probably need.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlleoiseau
Wow. I must really be in bad shape. I could answer yes to almost every single question. So, how would I go about supplementing amino acids? Any recommendations?

I am really depressed, too and feeling lack of support from dh. I've been in counseling for a year and dh and I have been doing joint counseling for a month. The counselor suggested to me last night to take classes or something giving me job skills so that I have some confidence in myself if I decide to leave dh. And that I need to decide what level of happiness I am willing to live with. Not encouraging.

I'm having lots of trouble sleeping, too. I bought some melatonin last night and tried it. It did make me feel really sleepy, but I still had lots of trouble getting to sleep and I woke up countless times during the night. I am so tired during the day and feel as if I'd been crying all night.

Sorry to whine. Anyway, any suggestions on sleep aids? I am thinking of buying magnesium and trying that.

I haven't started scd yet. I have redcued my consumption of grains, but can't seem to wean dd from them. We are moving in a month and I am putting off the diet until after we get settled. But if I leave dh, I won't be able to afford doing the diet with dd.
Sweetie, I'm so sorry
I definately sympathize with how one has to arrive at the drastic measures in their own time. I really hope that you find the answers that you seek, both on this thread and (it sounds like) in many, many other areas.This thread has tons of info, especially lately, on the depression connection.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine
Did any of you have to slowly adjust to taking CLO? I had a bottle of capsules (Carlson's) and I didn't notice anything in particular. I just got Blue Ice and took 2 Tbsp (well, I think a bit less, as our soup spoons are smaller than 1 Tbsp) just before lunch and now I fell a bit
The most likely reason for this is that Carlson's isn't as nutrient dense as Blue Ice so you're getting more of a powerful product this time. Good for you for switching...Carlson's has soy:
Old 05-18-2006, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
I have endo too. I have done many things over the years to get it under control. It was getting really bad again and I was afraid I was going to need more surgery but since starting scd I have noticed a big change in my cycles. I can tell my hormones are sorting themselves out in a way that they never have w/o suppliments and acupuncture. I'm just feeding my body what it needs and it is getting itself healthy again.
So glad to hear that you found something that seems to be working! I know I need to do what I did before - go on a short cleansing fast (I used to fast a lot) and then eliminate all dairy and grains. After I note significant improvements I'll probably do a modified scd.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Seems like I read about a natural remedy for constipation here a while back. (?) Anybody have suggestions?
DD1 is sooo constipated today. Dh gave her milk last night and she's already had 2 sippy cups of prune juice and nothing. I hate to do a suppository again as it throws everything off afterward.
epsom salts...it says on the carton they can be taken orally, or maybe you could try lots of baths?
Old 05-18-2006, 08:43 PM

Thank you caedmyn!
Old 05-18-2006, 08:46 PM

I’m pretty much starting from scratch here again in an attempt to heal dd1 this time. We’ve spent the last 4 months focusing on myself and dd2 with amazing results. I really need some help with what to do w/my big dd now.

A little background: She was vaccinated, received 2 flu shots, has had antibiotics for UTI and probably some other things that I cannot remember. She has had pooping issues for as long as I can remember starting w/green poopies as a baby. When I eliminated dairy she did much better.

She’s had chronic and severe constipation for more than half her little life and our ped prescribed a stool softener a year ago which she was on for many, many months. She alternates between having *regular* poopies (which are always mushy and stinky) to being severely constipated. I’ve given her more glycerin suppositories than I want to think about and it’s affected her emotionally and psychologically as well. She hasn’t had a suppository in several weeks, yet every day she tells me; “I don’t need poopy medicine!” The mention of the word suppository sends her crying and running. She’s obsessed with poopy (beyond the normal toddler obsession.) I totally downplay it but her history has made her this way.

For a short while her poopies were normal (I don’t know why as I was not tuned in to all this then) and while they were good, formed poops, she actually used the potty. Well, one bout of constipation ended that.

When she does finally go after being constipated it’s like she’s in labor. No joke; sweating, moaning, crying.

While my intentions were to have her on SCD w/fanatical adherence, I just could not focus on both dds at the same time.

She also has yeast issues. Recurring yeast rashes last summer, had a UTI, and so I thought this was her major issue. Now I’m seeing that she needs SO MUCH more than I thought.

I’m going to defer to you ladies on what to do next. What tests? What course of treatment? This poor little 2 ½ year old needs a break!
Old 05-18-2006, 09:10 PM

Mlleoiseau, don't make any rash decisions about leaving a husband while moving. Moving is about the most stressful thing behind birthing and building a house. Always give everything at least 90 days (preferably a year!) after major life changes to do anything permanent, imo. If you could focus on helping *yourself* to feel better, dh's issues or actions will feel less powerful of an influence over your life and happiness. I had to choose to find ways to make *me* happy, rather than relying on dh, or anyone else to 'quit making me feel bad'. The book "The Dance of Intimacy" really helped to empower me. It explains how to identify my "bottom line" and set personal boundaries about how I would allow myself to be treated. (This was in reference to my father's emotionally abusive relationship with me, not dh.) As you feel more confidence in your own self-worth, other's opinions really don't hurt and effect you as much. But, obviously don't stay in an abusive relationship.

A couple of things have helped our sleep. The CLO seems to have helped; and the Magnesium seems to have helped. We also avoid dairy; but many here swear by raw, unprocessed milk (is that correct?). Dairy really disturbs ds and me. We are also following The Feingold Diet, which eliminates artificial colors and flavors (and a bunch of other ingredients). It appears that all processed food is illegal on the SCD, so that might help your sleep too. We have tried the Melatonin and had the most success at 2mg. We had to up the dose from 1mg to be effective. I have heard of some people needing more. BUT, I read that Melatonin is a natural hormone and is important to the immune system function, the pituitary gland, iirc, and I decided I didn't want to be messing with these things willy-nilly. So, we only use the Melatonin on a rare, rare occasion. Some people, especially children with ADHD produce low levels and need it nightly.

I hope things settle down after the move. It sounds like your family is majorly stressed. I will send peaceful energy for you all.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Seems like I read about a natural remedy for constipation here a while back. (?) Anybody have suggestions?
DD1 is sooo constipated today. Dh gave her milk last night and she's already had 2 sippy cups of prune juice and nothing. I hate to do a suppository again as it throws everything off afterward.
Prune juice usually does it. There are glycerin suppositories without laxatives. The CLO can do it too. And high doses of Vit. C cause diarrhea. Avoid the BRAT foods: bananas, rice, apples, toast. Wow, two cups of prune juice is a HUGE amount for an adult even. I'd be watching for any abdominal tenderness. Is it possible that she swallowed something that could cause an obstruction in the bowel?

Raisins are another laxative, if you eat enough.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:21 PM

Annikate, would you consider homeopathy? I really think with the multiple physical issues: vaccination, constipation with significant discomfort, food intolerances, UTIs, etc. that a constitutional remedy could make a big difference.

I am not suggesting not to do all of the nutritional support, but helping the body to heal itself by strengthening the immune system through homeopathy has helped dh with major bowel issues and severe allergies, and depression. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubamama
Prune juice usually does it. There are glycerin suppositories without laxatives. The CLO can do it too. And high doses of Vit. C cause diarrhea. Avoid the BRAT foods: bananas, rice, apples, toast. Wow, two cups of prune juice is a HUGE amount for an adult even. I'd be watching for any abdominal tenderness. Is it possible that she swallowed something that could cause an obstruction in the bowel?

Raisins are another laxative, if you eat enough.
Actually the prune juice was diluted and was only about 4 oz. total. Maybe less. (One of the little cans.) Dh is with her now and I'm praying the prune juice, extra vit. c, and epsom salt bath will do the trick.

I know about the BRAT foods. She clearly has something more going on and no, it's not an obstruction. Is it a wonder I'm addicted to this thread?
Old 05-18-2006, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamama
Annikate, would you consider homeopathy? I really think with the multiple physical issues: vaccination, constipation with significant discomfort, food intolerances, UTIs, etc. that a constitutional remedy could make a big difference.

I am not suggesting not to do all of the nutritional support, but helping the body to heal itself by strengthening the immune system through homeopathy has helped dh with major bowel issues and severe allergies, and depression. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Yes, I need to find a good one. We have a chiro/natuopath I guess. Or, maybe he's a homeopath? Don't know. He's actually the one that gave dd2 her first jar of enzymes but doesn't believe in leaky gut. So . . . I'm not inclined really to use him for this issue, though we do go fto him for little sniffles and such.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:24 PM

I am finishing up day one of doing SCD -- I ate scrambled eggs, juice, fish, cooked carrots, and half a pan of jello. :

I did okay, not too hungry although I thought about food a lot and had a few cravings for something bready and sweet. But I am soooooo tired. Bone tired. That may have something to do with my son waking me up all night long, but then that's nothing new, and I don't usually feel this wiped out. I'm actually going to start getting us ready for bed now (it's not even 6:30pm here!), We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Wish I could write more but ds won't let me.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Magnesium will help. I would also encourage you to wait it out if possible. Something about the body finding it's own equalibrium and not throwing it off. It will happen. epsom salt baths can help too. Increase her fiber.

Oh and elaine suggests prune juice in orange juice at breakfast time followed by a hot drink and then going to the bathroom and waiting till it happens.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Old 05-18-2006, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roses1001

Thanks.
1. at least 1 tbsp daily
2 (probably) 1 tsp daily
3. 1/2 tsp daily
4. 1 tsp daily

I personally am not afraid of large doses of natural vitamin A. Many cultures recomend pg women eat liver many times a week. A maintanence dose of liver is 1 serving a week. Also eggs are high in vitamin A. The Chineese have pg women eat 10 or more eggs daily if they can afford it!

our family is <>< and :
Old 05-18-2006, 10:20 PM
EBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericaz
The most likely reason for this is that Carlson's isn't as nutrient dense as Blue Ice so you're getting more of a powerful product this time. Good for you for switching...Carlson's has soy:
Most brands have Vitamin E added, which is derived from soy. I contacted Carlsons a while ago about the vitamins and they said yes E comes from soy but it's purified so the end product is virtually soy-free.
Also, in the lemon flavored one the A and D is naturally occuring, they don't add synthetic vitamins. The lemon flavor is lemon oil. So if your cod liver oil has vitamin E-there's your soy.
I use Carlson's because I need high doses of omega 3-s.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:22 PM

Quote:
When she does finally go after being constipated it’s like she’s in labor. No joke; sweating, moaning, crying.
your poor dd. That's how my dd was when I was trying her on solids. I took her to a naturopath who suggested giving her a tsp of slippery elm bark powder daily, along with probiotics. And she wanted me on digestive enzymes and fish oil cause I was nursing. The slippery elm bark powder did help. I finally realized that for dd, it was all about fiber. She still needs lots of fiber.

I know that slippery elm bark is probably not scd legal. Here's hoping the other mamas here will have advice for you.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:40 PM

Well, dd got out of the tub a little while ago and she is like a drunken little banchee. How's that for a visual? She's very tired as she didn't have much of a nap today and she's totally hyped up from the epsom salts. Poor dh. She told me that her "poopy tummy ache" felt better though she didn't go. My yogurt seems to help a lot. Thankfully, a new batch was ready about an hour or so ago so she drank a whole cup. Guess we'll see what the morning brings. Or should I say the overnight? (Dh is co-sleeping w/her in her room.) That's okay 'cause I'm still up every 1 1/2-2 1/2 hours all night long w/dd2.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:43 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, Pat. When I do make the decision, it won't have been rashly made. It will have been 9.5 years in the making, with having been in counseling and marriage counseling.
Thanks for the book suggestion. I will look for that at the library. I know that it's up to me to decide to be happy and to set boundaries.
I take clo, although not regularly lately. I take the carlson's capsules. Magnesium I will try. I don't really like the idea of taking melatonin, either, because of the hormone thing. But I am so tired it is worth a try.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:43 PM

AK- epsom salt baths, oral magnesium (like natural calm-not epsom salts) and a castor oil pack on her belly to reduce the inflammation from the back-up. Poor peanut! Stay away from juices (as the sugar, even though it's natural can disrupt the bacterial imbalance that causes the constipation...) and push fluids-lots of water.

My sister had awful endometriosis and multile surgeries until I MADE her go to my homeopath. She never had pain again and was pregnant within three months (had been trying for years.) IT workd wonders for so many things!

I'll go back and see what else I have to reply to...I've missed so much in a day!
Old 05-18-2006, 11:53 PM

Thanks ff - I'll have to wean her off of the o.j. now.
I can hear her still playing and talking. hyper, hyper, hyper.. . .
Glad I ordered that natural calm! Maybe it'll come tomorrow.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:14 AM

For everyone who's been asking about yeast lately...I found a good website today. http://www.ei-resource.org/candida.asp

And also this for treatments: http://www.ei-resource.org/anti-fungal.asp

Now if I could just get my own yeast problems under control!
Old 05-19-2006, 12:20 AM

I took the quiz, and the only one I scored above the cutoff was the first one, the dark cloud one. The other three, I was at the number for the cutoff -- e.g., I scored four on the one that if you're over four, you need that amino acid. So I guess I'm low in serotonin. Which is what amino acid? L-tryptophan?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Old 05-19-2006, 12:28 AM

Hmmm Took the quiz.

Apparently I need gaba and endorphins and possibly Serotonin (just one over the cut off on that one.)

I can't imagine that anyone doing this diet wouldn't have depression issues. It is extremely stressful to keep up with and yet better than keeping up with life before the diet (if more purposeful which has it's own stress.)

our family is <>< and :
Old 05-19-2006, 12:35 AM

Oh and has anyone heard of hydrogen peroxide for yeast? A woman at my LLL that I was telling about scd said this is what she thinks she will do for dealing with her systemic yeast.

our family is <>< and :
Old 05-19-2006, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Oh and has anyone heard of hydrogen peroxide for yeast? A woman at my LLL that I was telling about scd said this is what she thinks she will do for dealing with her systemic yeast.
Hydrogen peroxide kills new cell rejuvenation. We used to use it on wounds, but they determined that it impaired healing. Not sure if this effect would be bad on yeast though. I have used lavender essential oil on Athlete's foot and it is a natural anti-microbial, iirc. You might try that.

Lavender is also good for upset stomachs/gassy/abdominal pain. Rub a couple drops on the abdomen in a clockwise direction. It may be the physical touch or the aromatherapy affect, I don't know.

Off to bed, Pat

I have a blog.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Oh, have you opened a capsule of probiotics onto the yeast infected body part? That is supposed to help too.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:40 AM

Wow, thanks for all the replies. Sad to say milk powder is ALL we can have. We don't have proper refrigeration and every bottle of milk has spoiled before we could get any of it (the 15 minute walk from the store in 85 degree weather can't help it either).

On the happy note we get TONS of coconut and coconut oil and do eat eggs pretty regularily (though they usually don't sit well with me). Cheese here is hard to come by and even most of that is just processed stuff. We don't cook if we can help it as our "kitchen" is the home to millions of ants, a few dozen cockroaches, and one EXTREMALY large spider (his picture will be online soon). When we do cook we use red rice and we only wash it if it's dirty (which is about 50% of the time). Rice is the national mainstay here. Every meal involves rice. Without rice it isn't considered a meal, merely a snack. The next most common food is potatoes. If we take those away, we starve!! I would SO be game to try the diet but I honestly don't know what we'd eat without rice and potatoes.

I'd never seen fake meat without wheat before coming here. It's hard to find but occassionaly we find pumpkin or carrot sausages. They are made of ground pumpkin/carrot, rice, potato, soy, and some spices...supposedly. You never really know for 100% sure.

I don't think I'm a celiac too. I usually stay off it with DH but when I do have something I don't notice any difference at all. I also kinda doubt hormone problems. I chart and everything has stayed consistant for seven months now! I used to have an ovarian cyst that occassionally screwed up the hormones but it went away when I went vegetarian (coincidence or not?).

Today my hair loss after shower was down by half !!! On the sad note, DH got bad water (he's been drinking it at the food stalls) but he knows better so don't feel too bad for him. It'll pass in a couple days.

Traveling mama to DS (2) my nature boy :
Old 05-19-2006, 10:14 AM
EBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by arelyn
Wow, thanks for all the replies. Sad to say milk powder is ALL we can have. We don't have proper refrigeration and every bottle of milk has spoiled before we could get any of it (the 15 walk from the store in 85 degree weather can't help it either).

On the happy note we get TONS of coconut and coconut oil and do eat eggs pretty regularily (though they usually don't sit well with me). Cheese here is hard to come by and even most of that is just processed stuff. We don't cook if we can help it as our "kitchen" is the home to millions of ants, a few dozen cockroaches, and one EXTREMALY large spider (his picture will be online soon). When we do cook we use red rice and we only wash it if it's dirty (which is about 50% of the time). Rice is the national mainstay here. Every meal involves rice. Without rice it isn't considered a meal, merely a snack. The next most common food is potatoes. If we take those away, we starve!! I would SO be game to try the diet but I honestly don't know what we'd eat without rice and potatoes.

I'd never seen fake meat without wheat before coming here. It's hard to find but occassionaly we find pumpkin or carrot sausages. They are made of ground pumpkin/carrot, rice, potato, soy, and some spices...supposedly. You never really know for 100% sure.

I don't think I'm a celiac too. I usually stay off it with DH but when I do have something I don't notice any difference at all. I also kinda doubt hormone problems. I chart and everything has stayed consistant for seven months now! I used to have an ovarian cyst that occassionally screwed up the hormones but it went away when I went vegetarian (coincidence or not?).

Today my hair loss after shower was down by half !!! On the sad note, DH got bad water (he's been drinking it at the food stalls) but he knows better so don't feel too bad for him. It'll pass in a couple days.

If you must eat rice try to get brown and soak it for about 7 hours before cooking. Eat it combined with beans or lentils soaked overnight. If bugs are a concern cover the bowls with lids or a dishcloth. If you just add some meat (like canned fish-they should be safe) or eggs, that's almost good nutrition.
In my opinion no milk at all is better than powdered.

Also spices like cloves, cinnamon, turmeric, cayenne and cumin are mild antifungals too.
Try to get 3 tbs coconut oil a day, drink c. milk, c. water. Coconut oil is also a good antifungal. And you also need a lot of fat, CO is a very good kind of fat.

If you are unable to change your diet try to have someone ship you some digestive enzymes from the States. Houston's and Enzymedica have been recommended on this forum. Enzymes will help you guys digest the food and reduce reactions, get one with high amylese for carbs. Also they will help with yeast (high protease and cellulase).

I'm pretty sure my 5 years(college plus one year living on my own before marriage) of being a near-vegetarian and living on high-carb processed foods (cheap and need no refrig-I was really poor) and hardly any meat and zero eggs contributed to the deterioration of my health.

User Tag List