Healing the Gut Tribe ~ May - Page 23 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#661 of 1002 Old 05-20-2006, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
Oh does anyone know if I make the cream cheese from raw milk ala nt will that be lactose free enough to use for the dccc?

And anyone have any ideas for culturing juice? I'm now feeling like that could be another source of probiotics in our life but i'm not sure how to do it. NT has a lot of recipes assuming you are starting from raw juice. I have pasturized juice and I want to improve it. Any ideas? I have some milk kefir grains, could i use those? What else? Should I post this on the NT thread?
Probably not re: cream cheese according to NT recipe, but what about just dripping yogurt? A lot of steps, I know.

Yes you can convert milk grains to water/juice grains. See Dom's site:
http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/...#Kefir-d-acqua

There is also a water kefir thread right now in Nutrition forum.
#662 of 1002 Old 05-20-2006, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
Kefir is illegal because of the yeasts in it.
Not necessarily, you can culture kefir longer to remove lactose. Elaine said on a couple of occasions that it could be good for advanced folks but she just didn't know enough about the probiotic science. I think she kept faithful to Dr. Haas' diet and did not want to deviate.

The beneficial yeasts in kefir crowd out the bad ones. But people do have reactions to it and maybe the alcohol is not appropriate for those who are producing alcohol like toxins on their own too (depending on the sort of mix they have in their gut).
#663 of 1002 Old 05-20-2006, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles
I started a thread for healing the gut success stories but there were no replies. I know a few of you (JaneS for one) have talked about your success but other than that I haven't heard about a lot. I would really love to hear what is working for you and what you have improved/cured/however you want to put it, lol. This thread is full of lots of informative questions and discussions of particular journeys, but at this point I need to hear/see more evidence of what is working for people. Any stories?
Where is this thread?

I think it would be helpful to tease out the previous stories to put in one place, maybe you can go back and link them in your thread?
#664 of 1002 Old 05-20-2006, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericaz
Subbing (and in lots of pain )
I've been dealing with digestive issues for years. About 4 years ago I had many tests - CDSA and food sensitivity tests. The CDSA showed lots of bad bugs, both bacterial and fungal while the food allergy tests showed I wasn't reacting to many foods I had suspected might have been a cause of my issues (casein and wheat for instance). I started phone consults with Trent Nichols (gastroenterologist who focuses on nutrition) and finally got everything under control. I had been spending oodles of money on supplements and nothing really seemed to make a long term improvement.

It was around this time that I started getting into NT/WAPF and became a chapter leader.

I also suffer from endometriosis which is completely connected to my digestive woes. I'm due any minute for AF and my stomach is a complete wreck.

After getting pg with my daughter I began eating more foods that I know I shouldn't. It was the first time in years that my stomach felt great no matter what I ate so I went hogwild. Obviously it was all because of my immune system being on hold so after I had my daughter my problems came back. I really think there's a hormonal connection (again, all tests have come back normal but I'm guessing it's just not being detected) because I felt great until AF returned when dd was around 1.

My diet is still based on whole foods but I eat just about everything without hesitation. We're heading to France next week and I expect to (and want to) eat without reservation. After I come back I want to start reassessing my health and embark on a short cleanse to get back on track. I'm so tired of feeling like shit all the time. It is affecting every aspect of my life.

ETA: The only supplement I'm currently taking with consistency is Primal Defense. It used to be the one supplement I could count on and now I seem to not be benefiting. I've tried just about every supplement under the sun and am wondering what others think would be my next best choice. Some of the supplements I've tried worked for a while and then didn't and others made me feel worse (enzymes for instance).
I know diet is key so that's where I intend to start but I'm guessing I've got yeast issues to overcome (feeling very yeasty these days - chronic UTIs too) and also REALLY need to heal the lining of my poor, inflammed gut.
Welcome!

Enzymes should be at the top of your list to try again. But go much more slowly.

What are you eating for ferments? Any yogurt/kefir/kombucha/kvass? You might also check out the Health Recovery Diet in EFLF. I cannot do it whole hog right now b/c I just don't have the motivation now that I'm doing better. But it is inspiring me to continue with the bone broths, eat more Coconut oil and milk and try different cultured beverages. And eat liver.

I tend to think now that most hormonal issues are all fat related. Dietary fats. Are you sticking to all traditional fats or are you eating more omega-6's? (which bomb our hormones). How likely is it that you are vit. A deficient? Are you taking CLO?
#665 of 1002 Old 05-20-2006, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmMommy
Hi all,

I've been lurking on these boards for a few weeks just trying to assimilate it all. I was hoping you kind ladies could help.

DS dx with milk allergy @7weeks with blood in his stools. Neocate started. 6m we started solids and he did great. At 9 months he reacted with rashes. We thought it was wheat since Cheerios was the last new food we had given. Took out, but rash still not completely gone. Finally took all solids out for 3 weeks (DS was 10m at this time). Rash went away.

Started one new food a week. Rice first week of March went fine, so did sweet potatoes. Green beans, peas and squash he got a rash on the 6-7 day of trial. Then slowly he started reacting to rice and sweet potatoes with the rash. I knew this because I stopped trialling other foods at the beginning of April.

He RAST neg and skin test negative in February.

Dx with delayed food allergies...non igE allergies.

So now at 12.5m we have pulled the two solids he could eat out. Per the ped/allergists at Stanford we are giving him 6m off solids.

I've been talking to a john's hopkins MD who also does homeopathic medicine. She thinks that DS has leaky gut syndrome. And that while 6m will help, if he eats any of the foods too often or in excess the sensitivities will come back.
She also agreed that don't worry about feeding him for the next few months and to give him gut rest. Which I geuss is what the allergist at Stanford Children's Hospital are saying in just a different way.

She said probiotics often help. I'm afraid that he'll be allergic to those too.

But I feel like the Stanford Doctors who while they acknowledge delayed food allergies say not much is known about them....aren't being pro active enough.

I know IgG testing is not as accurate but isn't it a starting pt? Isn't there something we can do?

I don't want to keep trying new foods b/c he is seeming to become allergic to everything with time. And I think the Stanford Doctors and Homeopathic/MD both think that resting his gut will help. But I am just so confused. Nobody I know has allergies and allergic to everything is blowing my mind!

I want to cry b/c he wants to eat and all I can give him is formula =(

I hope you could help. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

Arati
His intestinal flora never got a chance. And formula doesn't support it's growth or add to it. Therefore the lack of probiotics in his system is causing all this. Yes it definately sounds like leaky gut. His skin/food reactions sound like my DS's story. I don't know if you or he had antibx too?

Reading "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" and one of Karen DeFelice's books on enzymes will give you a better understanding of food "allergies" than any mainstream doctor.
#666 of 1002 Old 05-20-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles
I have a raw milk question. Does it smell and taste a little odd (maybe like it is old milk) even when fresh? I get it at the organic food coop and even the day I buy it it just seems a little off. Is this normal or is it not fresh enough? My ds likes it but nobody else in the family will use it. I tolerate it knowing it is supposed to be good for me. I am not a milk fan anyway.
No, it should be sweet and fresh. If this happens, then it is not being kept consistently cold enough after bottling. However, the type of grass will effect the taste a bit.
#667 of 1002 Old 05-20-2006, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Where is this thread?

I think it would be helpful to tease out the previous stories to put in one place, maybe you can go back and link them in your thread?
Good idea. I went back and found a few and linked them in the thread. Here it is
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=448391
If I missed anyone feel free to lmk and I can link it too.

Thanks for the reply on the milk also. I would really like to find a local source. Our coop gets it from up north so you might be right on about the refrigeration issue

Sybil
#668 of 1002 Old 05-20-2006, 07:57 PM

Does anyone know if a food is any more likely to be tolerated by DD if I only eat a little at first? I'm going to start 24 hr goat yogurt tomorrow and I'm really not sure what to look for as to whether she is tolerating it or not. Should I just eat however much I want and see if she reacts or is it better to ease into it? I'm not really expecting a huge reaction either way--I would guess that either she'll have an eczema flare-up (hers is always pretty mild in any case) or the bloody poop will come back, if she does have a reaction. The only thing she's reacted to thus far are enzymes, no foods (first with major naptime issues, then when I re-started them slower, with eczema flare-ups that went away slowly every time I increased the amount).

I hope this makes sense--I can't seem to type coherently today!
#669 of 1002 Old 05-20-2006, 08:23 PM

Does anyone know if I can eat the dry curd cottage cheese on day four of doing SCD?

Maybe it's just me, but I'm finding the book less than useful for instructions on just how to go about the diet. For instance, I think she says to hold off on introducing the yogurt for a while, but then in another section she lists the SCD cheesecake (which has the yogurt and the DCCC) as being something to use during the intro period.

Anyway, my yogurt maker hasn't arrived yet (I've tried making it using the cooler/heating pad method and it did not work AT ALL) so I'll hold off on that for a while anyway. But there's a custard recipe in the book using DCCC that I'd like to try tomorrow. I need some variety!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#670 of 1002 Old 05-20-2006, 08:38 PM

I have been reading through the cheat sheet and my eyeballs are spinning. Very interesting stuff but major brain overload. If I do the SDC diet will it help my nursing baby heal his gut? Is this the best place to start? I've purchased 3 different probiotics in the last few weeks. He reacts to Baby's Jarro-dophilus and Natures Way Primadophilus Bifidus so I put out over $60 for Kirkman Labs hypoallergenic Super Pro-Bio. Now I read on the cheat sheet links that the Inulin and some of the bacteria might not be OK (at least not SDC legal). Have I wasted my money once again?

Let me give some background:

DS born at 35 weeks due to my preeclampsia. He had three days of IV antibiotics during his two weeks in the NICU. Extremely fussy and uncomfortable baby from the time he came home. Got fussy after every feeding. No sleep for 2 1/2 mo. What seems to have helped most are allergy elimination diet and reflux med. Happier now. Sleeps OK. Still needs carried most of time during day. Just started getting some decent daytime sleep last month when started Zegerid (PPI for reflux). I worry about supressing stomach acid (and also the fact that it is sweetened with sucralose) but it is really nice to have him not be miserable when he tries to eat and actually be able to sleep more than 15 minutes during the day and not be wimpering like he's in pain.

Allergy stuff:

Started with face rashes and bullseye diaper rash in Dec.. All over Eczema in Feb. Very gassy and fussy from beginning. Diareah started in January and Never went away. Mucusy poops started in Feb. and blood spots in March.

Started Dr. Sears allergy elimination diet end of January (had been free of major allergens for a while before this). Found his face and bottom cleared and looked beautiful when I eat only sweet potatoes, brown rice and turkey (pears, millet and squash were a problem). Also much less gas and fussiness. Any attempts to add foods back in bring on rashes, gas fussiness, mucus, blood etc.

Until a few weeks ago it seemed that he only had mucus & blood in his diapers when I trialed a new food and I could control it by eating only those three foods (although it was still runny). Then for easter I tried eating ham with my swt pot & br rice. Major mucusy diapers ever since. Also he now seems to get slightly rashy on his face even though I am only eating those three foods (major rash with new food trials). I started using Kirkman labs zinc cream on his eczema recently and that seems to be helping some.

How do I heal his gut while he's strictly bf in a way that doesn't trigger allergic reactions?

Ped GI said do a month on Neocate. Baby doesn't like it and can't get much down him. Also very reticent to give up bf. How can all those
corn syrup solids be good for him? I've read of it causing constipation and I have a nightmare on my hands with two older kids that have chronic constipation and do not want to repeat this. BTW- his poops have not been quite so runny since starting on pro-biotic. More like paste. See definite change but not normal yet and still seeing mucus. We have dubbed them popcorn poopies because they smell strongly like microwave popcorn but just not quite so pleasant. At least it is not the terrible smell that he has had at times after I've trialed a new food. I dream of seeing (and smelling) normal nursing poopies again but begin to doubt that will ever happen.

I have what I assume are blood sugar issues. The only way I have gotten relief from a lot of problems is by following a very low carb diet. It seems to keep my blood sugar much more stable. Sweet Potatoes and Rice are way too high carb for me and I am dealing with brain fog and often feeling like I want to cry (my low bs signs) as a result.

Thanks for reading all this! Has anyone had success with this kind of problem? What works?

Thanks,

Kara
#671 of 1002 Old 05-20-2006, 09:01 PM

Hi Kara,
Yes, I think this diet can help you and through you help your little one. Actually, this is why I started this diet - - to help dd2. I did not think *I* needed the healing but I worked on me, b'fed her and now am only slowly introducing SCD legal foods to her.

I also did elimination diets (as did lots of other ladies here) and they seemed to make things worse instead of better for both of us.

I started SCD and am so thankful I found it. We've seen major improvement. (A little regression lately, which I want to post about later), but overall the change in dd is remarkable. (Not to mention that I feel great too!)

IMO, I'd stop the probiotics you've bought and try to make some 24 hour yogurt. I'd start taking CLO (I think all b'feeding moms should take it!) and quit the neocate ASAP and go back to b'milk only.

Welcome. You'll learn a TON here!
#672 of 1002 Old 05-20-2006, 09:06 PM

Question on DCCC. The brand name is Friendship? I bought some Friendship cottage cheese (4% milkfat), but it didn't say dry any where. Is this the same thing? I haven't tried it yet because I am still officially waiting to start SCD until my book comes, although I guess I could study the websites a bit more closely.
#673 of 1002 Old 05-20-2006, 09:22 PM

It's called Friendship Farmer's Cheese. It's not the cottage cheese. It comes in a small square package. I don't think it says dry curd on the front which also confused me at first too.
#674 of 1002 Old 05-20-2006, 09:54 PM

Oh drat. What they heck do I do with the darn cottage cheese now. :
#675 of 1002 Old 05-20-2006, 10:26 PM

Kara,

Yes the diet can help your babe--immensely. Is your son having any anaphlyactic reactions to anything? Have you had him tested formally for allergies??

The rice and sweet potatoes you are eating are contraindicated in the SCD. Let's say you have a yeast problem, the grains can ferment in your gut, feeding your yeast and continuing the vicious cycle. IIRC, the sweet potatoes, when broken down, feed the yeast via sugar. Or bacteria.

I would stay away from food he is reacting to if he has an ana reaction. Otherwise I would start the diet and use enzymes. I get mine from Houston, http://216.114.78.114/webcenter/site...438&N=Products I use (all in powder so that my 4 yr can use it), No Fenol, AFP Peptizide (tastes less strong than original Peptizide) and Zyne Prime. If you are going to get capsules, make sure you get the ones that say "SCD" on them. You consume the enzymes before you eat or snack. They sit in your leaky gut and wait 90 min until you eat something. The cool thing about them in regards to leaky gut that while your leaky gut is healing, via the SCD, it breaks the food down so that when it escapes through your gut holes ( ) it is no longer a whole food and, theoretically, shouldn't cause any reactions.

Oh, and I posted a link to my 1st son's story about 7 pages back. Very similar.

In terms of probiotics, I use Garden of Life Primal Defense, which is not SCD legal. I use the powder and lick my finger and stick it in my babe's cheek. For whatever reason, he loves it (he also loves sodium ascorbate and quercetin like that too, so maybe he is just strange ). You also might want to look into quercetin, it can diminish an allergic response. I got mine from Bayro, the brand is Designs for Health.

Oh, and Neocate is crap, but you knew that already.

Okay hope that helps, and hope I didn't misrepresent the diet
Amy
#676 of 1002 Old 05-20-2006, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine
Oh drat. What they heck do I do with the darn cottage cheese now. :
Can you warm it up and ferment it like yogurt??
#677 of 1002 Old 05-20-2006, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dalai_mama
Excuse a newbie to this thread for jumping in with a dumb question.
But, I know I have yeast overgrowth, where do I start? Book, website, thread here, certain post?
And, can yeast kill off be done while nursing a toddler?
Thanks

Did my question get lost or is it just too obvious?
I was just hoping someone might have a starting point its going to take me a bit to sift through 34 pages of this thread looking for the best place to start.
#678 of 1002 Old 05-21-2006, 12:29 AM

Hi Dalai Mama

At the top of the H&H board there is a cheat sheet for Healing the Gut Mamas, or SCD, I don't remember.

Most of us are on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, check out www.pecanbread.com (or .org).

And you can kill yeast while bfing a toddler, I'm nursing a 4yr old and an18m old.

hth
Amy
#679 of 1002 Old 05-21-2006, 12:32 AM

Thanks AmyD!

(I knew I was asking the obvious! Thanks for steering me there )
#680 of 1002 Old 05-21-2006, 12:33 AM

Sorry Dalai Mama!

Probably just got lost... this is a crazy thread, keeps getting more busy every month.

Check out the Cheat Sheet stickied at the top of the H&H forum.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=434071

Many mamas are nursing here, you just might need to go slower on certain things and avoid other strong "killers" like oregano oil for ex. to minimize die off and reactions in your babe.
#681 of 1002 Old 05-21-2006, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks AmyD!

(I knew I was asking the obvious! Thanks for steering me there )
This is a good website for yeast info, too
http://www.ei-resource.org/candida.asp
#682 of 1002 Old 05-21-2006, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violin4
I have been reading through the cheat sheet and my eyeballs are spinning. Very interesting stuff but major brain overload. If I do the SDC diet will it help my nursing baby heal his gut? Is this the best place to start? I've purchased 3 different probiotics in the last few weeks. He reacts to Baby's Jarro-dophilus and Natures Way Primadophilus Bifidus so I put out over $60 for Kirkman Labs hypoallergenic Super Pro-Bio. Now I read on the cheat sheet links that the Inulin and some of the bacteria might not be OK (at least not SDC legal). Have I wasted my money once again?

Let me give some background:

DS born at 35 weeks due to my preeclampsia. He had three days of IV antibiotics during his two weeks in the NICU. Extremely fussy and uncomfortable baby from the time he came home. Got fussy after every feeding. No sleep for 2 1/2 mo. What seems to have helped most are allergy elimination diet and reflux med. Happier now. Sleeps OK. Still needs carried most of time during day. Just started getting some decent daytime sleep last month when started Zegerid (PPI for reflux). I worry about supressing stomach acid (and also the fact that it is sweetened with sucralose) but it is really nice to have him not be miserable when he tries to eat and actually be able to sleep more than 15 minutes during the day and not be wimpering like he's in pain.

Allergy stuff:

Started with face rashes and bullseye diaper rash in Dec.. All over Eczema in Feb. Very gassy and fussy from beginning. Diareah started in January and Never went away. Mucusy poops started in Feb. and blood spots in March.

Started Dr. Sears allergy elimination diet end of January (had been free of major allergens for a while before this). Found his face and bottom cleared and looked beautiful when I eat only sweet potatoes, brown rice and turkey (pears, millet and squash were a problem). Also much less gas and fussiness. Any attempts to add foods back in bring on rashes, gas fussiness, mucus, blood etc.

Until a few weeks ago it seemed that he only had mucus & blood in his diapers when I trialed a new food and I could control it by eating only those three foods (although it was still runny). Then for easter I tried eating ham with my swt pot & br rice. Major mucusy diapers ever since. Also he now seems to get slightly rashy on his face even though I am only eating those three foods (major rash with new food trials). I started using Kirkman labs zinc cream on his eczema recently and that seems to be helping some.

How do I heal his gut while he's strictly bf in a way that doesn't trigger allergic reactions?

Ped GI said do a month on Neocate. Baby doesn't like it and can't get much down him. Also very reticent to give up bf. How can all those
corn syrup solids be good for him? I've read of it causing constipation and I have a nightmare on my hands with two older kids that have chronic constipation and do not want to repeat this. BTW- his poops have not been quite so runny since starting on pro-biotic. More like paste. See definite change but not normal yet and still seeing mucus. We have dubbed them popcorn poopies because they smell strongly like microwave popcorn but just not quite so pleasant. At least it is not the terrible smell that he has had at times after I've trialed a new food. I dream of seeing (and smelling) normal nursing poopies again but begin to doubt that will ever happen.

I have what I assume are blood sugar issues. The only way I have gotten relief from a lot of problems is by following a very low carb diet. It seems to keep my blood sugar much more stable. Sweet Potatoes and Rice are way too high carb for me and I am dealing with brain fog and often feeling like I want to cry (my low bs signs) as a result.

Thanks for reading all this! Has anyone had success with this kind of problem? What works?

Thanks,

Kara
If you go back to post 494 (or maybe 492 can't remember which) on page 25, someone else posted with a babe with very similar issues to yours--allergies to absolutely everything. If you read that and some of the replies to that you may also get some answers (just cuz I'm too lazy to type a long post right now!).
#683 of 1002 Old 05-21-2006, 12:51 AM

I started SCD and am so thankful I found it. We've seen major improvement. (A little regression lately, which I want to post about later), but overall the change in dd is remarkable. (Not to mention that I feel great too!)

How old is DD? What improvements have you seen?

I'd start taking CLO (I think all b'feeding moms should take it!)

what is CLO?

and quit the neocate ASAP and go back to b'milk only.

He is on breastmilk only. We only tried Neocate a couple of times and could never get him to drink much of it.

Thanks for your input!

Kara
#684 of 1002 Old 05-21-2006, 12:59 AM

Kara

I think you are on the right track. It's so obvious from your experience that it's not just what you take out but what you put into a diet/healing plan. That is why elmination diets just don't work.

It's sad that drs only have Neocate to recommend. That is not adequate support for a challenged immune system, yet it's not seen that way at all. BM is liquid gold, I'm telling you. I was stupid to wean my DS, don't anyone ever make my mistake!

CLO is cod liver oil. See here:
http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...fications.html
#685 of 1002 Old 05-21-2006, 01:14 AM

[QUOTE=AmyD]Kara,
Is your son having any anaphlyactic reactions to anything?

No anaphylactic reactions. Just skin, bowel, and scream fests.

Have you had him tested formally for allergies??

NO. He's too young for them to be accurate.

The rice and sweet potatoes you are eating are contraindicated in the SCD. Let's say you have a yeast problem, the grains can ferment in your gut, feeding your yeast and continuing the vicious cycle. IIRC, the sweet potatoes, when broken down, feed the yeast via sugar. Or bacteria.

I just read about the SDC diet for the first time late last night. I understand the theory what I don't understand is how healing MY gut would affect his.

I would stay away from food he is reacting to if he has an ana reaction. Otherwise I would start the diet and use enzymes.

So lets say his skin breaks out and he has blood in his stools. Would you forge ahead to see if it gets better or try to avoid whatever you just ate?

In terms of probiotics, I use Garden of Life Primal Defense, which is not SCD legal.

Just curious why?

thanks for all the info!

Kara
#686 of 1002 Old 05-21-2006, 01:24 AM

Thanks again! I see from the stickie that NT is part of this. Yay! This I have done parts of in the past, which makes me feel much less intimidated about this undertaking. One more question for tonight:

We are moving in a few weeks and things are a wee bit hectic, how much sense does it make to incorporate those parts of NT that I already know well and start the SCD and Candida Kill Off (for lack of knowing the correct term ) mid summer after we are settled and back from our annual trek to visit grandparents ?

Thanks again!
#687 of 1002 Old 05-21-2006, 02:17 AM

Kara,
If you read my blog, the last entry is our story. I jotted it down one night for another new member to this thread (can't remember who now!) It's a bit long and probably doesn't contain ALL of the things we went through, but most of it's there. I've not read it since that night I wrote it in the wee hours of the a.m. while doing an all night nurse fest w/dd so it's not been edited but it will answer some of the questions you just asked.

the_dalai_mama,
If you wait until mid summer you won't see any healing or improvement until then. NT is great, but alone won't help heal you.
#688 of 1002 Old 05-21-2006, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate

the_dalai_mama,
If you wait until mid summer you won't see any healing or improvement until then. NT is great, but alone won't help heal you.

So, how crazy is the idea of trying to start SCD while moving and teaching part time?
#689 of 1002 Old 05-21-2006, 10:03 AM

[QUOTE=violin4]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
Kara,
Is your son having any anaphlyactic reactions to anything?

No anaphylactic reactions. Just skin, bowel, and scream fests.

Have you had him tested formally for allergies??

NO. He's too young for them to be accurate.

I just read about the SDC diet for the first time late last night. I understand the theory what I don't understand is how healing MY gut would affect his.

I would stay away from food he is reacting to if he has an ana reaction. Otherwise I would start the diet and use enzymes.

So lets say his skin breaks out and he has blood in his stools. Would you forge ahead to see if it gets better or try to avoid whatever you just ate?

In terms of probiotics, I use Garden of Life Primal Defense, which is not SCD legal.

Just curious why?

thanks for all the info!

Kara
What happens with leaky gut & BF'ing is that the mother's body isn't properly breaking down food proteins, which causes the baby to react to the improperly broken down proteins. (Babies can also have leaky guts for reasons unrelated to the mom, like antibiotics, but if they are EBF they can be healed through the mother's diet.) The improperly broken down proteins go into the bloodstream, and cause the body to think it is being attacked, so it produces antibodies, which can cause symptoms of food intolerances. If the food that is causing the reaction is eliminated but the leaky gut is not fixed, other foods that are not properly broken down will eventually start making their way into the blood stream, causing more symptoms of food intolerances, which can eventually result in it seeming like the person/baby is allergic to everything.

If you eat foods that are legal on the SCD, your DS's gut will start to heal. It doesn't matter if he's reacted to those foods in the past (as long as he hasn't had anaphylactic reactions) because it isn't really the food per se that's the issue. There is a website, www.pecanbread.com, that gives guidelines for starting the diet and what foods tend to be easiest to digest at first.

My DD started having bloody poops shortly after I started eating a lot more dairy. She also developed some other allergy symptoms. I stopped eating dairy but she still had bloody poops. I started the SCD and within a week her bloody poops got a lot less frequent--since that first week she has had bloody poops 3 times in 5 weeks, instead of 2-3 times a week.

Are you asking why Garden of Life probiotics aren't SCD legal, or why she is taking those particular ones? They are illegal because they contain seaweed and some other ingredients that aren't allowed on the diet.
#690 of 1002 Old 05-21-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
So, how crazy is the idea of trying to start SCD while moving and teaching part time?
It's not easy to start but once you get the hang of it it really becomes second nature.

I started during my serious sleep deprivation when I was averaging 4 hours sleep per night and NO chance to catch up during the day. I was also chasing a very active toddler while trying to heal myself and my baby. I felt I *had* to do it. And I was right.

I know others have started this diet under more difficult circumstances than mine. I guess what it all comes down to is how badly do you want to start healing?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page