Forum Jump: 

#721 of 1002 Old 05-22-2006, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn
Milk Thistle, got it. Thanks so much!

I can do CO??? I'm all over it then, I didn't realize I can do it already.
Mountain Rose Herbs has the best price I've found for coconut oil--$35/gallon including shipping.

I also have major low blood sugar issues, and I've found that eating a lot of fat is key to avoiding low blood sugar. I also eat 4-5 mini meals (actually they're more like regular meals!) a day and that helps. Juice is bad bad bad for low blood sugar--it'll help you feel better for a bit but then you'll crash again from all the sugar in it.

Oh, and you want virgin or extra virgin coconut oil (same thing).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#722 of 1002 Old 05-22-2006, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
For those who've taken enzymes between meals: what did/do you take, and how often? How long did you take them between meals? I have Candidase and it says the intensive course is 2 caps 3x day for 14 days (1 bottle worth). Would that be enough along with my other yeast-killing things (raw garlic and hopefully goat yogurt)? And if I need to continue taking them in between meals, can I do a reduced dosage?
I was taking Candidase plus virastop 3 or 4 times a day for 3 weeks, I only take them once a day now (mainly because of the budget ) It did really help, but I am far from being done. If I could afford to, I would go back to full force for at least another month. Probably 2 months. I also saw my improvement get a lot quicker with raw garlic.
#723 of 1002 Old 05-22-2006, 07:29 PM

Whoa! I got my Natural Calm today and took 3 tsp. a couple of hours ago and I feel like I'm drunk! I can totally see how this stuff will *calm* you. I was going to take another 3 tsp. to get my 1200 like MT suggests on the Nutrition/Immunology thread. Guess I'll wait another time to do that.
#724 of 1002 Old 05-22-2006, 08:09 PM

Ok, how do I know if my goat yogurt turned out? I made 2 batches of goat yogurt--the first batch I used yogourmet powdered starter, and although it is quite thin, it smells yogurty...does it sound like it worked? With the second batch I used 1/4 cup of the first batch for a starter, and this batch is also thin, but it has bubbles at the top and doesn't smell yogurty, so I wonder if it just soured, which makes me wonder if the first batch is any good or not if it didn't culture another batch??? I had them in a salton yogurt maker for 24 hours and I think the temperature stays between 100 & 110 in there.
#725 of 1002 Old 05-22-2006, 08:19 PM

Hi,

I ordered the diet book and have been trying to get a handle on what you can eat to start this program. Assuming no yogurt at first because of milk allergies in bf babe...Is it really just chk & beef, broth & carrots, gelatin and grape juice? I know I can't do juice because it sends my blood sugar plummiting and I know I can't do just meat because I get totally constipated (I need a few veggies too to avoid it). Any suggestions?

Also here's two other of my kids with problems I could use suggestions for:

DS3-age 14- Chronic constipation, massively flakey scalp, eczema, molluscum for over a year, attention problems (though not hyper), chunky, very picky eater, craves carbs. Doing any kind of diet with him would be very difficult. He's always had texture issues and huge issues over any diet or suppliment control. Did the spit test for yeast and came up negative for him.

DD (our one and only)- age 6- chronic constipation. Impossible to get to sleep at night. Hasn't gone to sleep well for over a year. Used to be a good sleeper. Huge dark circles under her eyes. Last few months huge mood issues. Very sweet in past. (could be new baby but maybe not?). More recent attention problems too. A little eczema at times (like right now). She spit tested positive for yeast. Not surprising considering she was born at 29 weeks weighing 1#10oz. Had bunches of antibiotics and steroids with a round of pneumonia at 10 days old.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Kara
#726 of 1002 Old 05-22-2006, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Ok, how do I know if my goat yogurt turned out? I made 2 batches of goat yogurt--the first batch I used yogourmet powdered starter, and although it is quite thin, it smells yogurty...does it sound like it worked? With the second batch I used 1/4 cup of the first batch for a starter, and this batch is also thin, but it has bubbles at the top and doesn't smell yogurty, so I wonder if it just soured, which makes me wonder if the first batch is any good or not if it didn't culture another batch??? I had them in a salton yogurt maker for 24 hours and I think the temperature stays between 100 & 110 in there.
I wouldn't worry about the first batch. Just store the second and when it sets up (if it hasn't already) taste it. The taste and texture will tell you. Trust me, if it's a bad batch you will know.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#727 of 1002 Old 05-23-2006, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Mountain Rose Herbs has the best price I've found for coconut oil--$35/gallon including shipping.

I also have major low blood sugar issues, and I've found that eating a lot of fat is key to avoiding low blood sugar. I also eat 4-5 mini meals (actually they're more like regular meals!) a day and that helps. Juice is bad bad bad for low blood sugar--it'll help you feel better for a bit but then you'll crash again from all the sugar in it.

Oh, and you want virgin or extra virgin coconut oil (same thing).
This makes total sense! I always feel so much better after eating a beef patty than after eating chicken. I wondered why - both protein, shouldn't make a difference...but the beef has fat! Of course!

And I NEVER drank juice before SCD because of my blood sugar. Another - I just followed with 'fanatical adherence' despite my hesitation about the juice. I'm going to cut WAY down on the juice and use stevia instead of honey. And add the CO back in!

Sadly, I had 2 Tbs of almond butter last night and today, loose stool - I so want to add nut butter!

Is there any reason anyone can think of that the acne seems to be getting worse? (before the nut butter even)
#728 of 1002 Old 05-23-2006, 02:47 AM

Chasmyn, just wanted to suggest you try cashew butter, or even homemade pecan butter (organic if you can afford it), because almond butter still gives ds the runs every time, even though he can handle other nut butters just fine. Almonds aren't really a true nut, anyway, they're the pit of a fruit. As far as the acne getting worse, I would think maybe the juice might do it, all that sugar stimulating your adrenals. But I'm not an expert by any means. Just cut down on the juices and see how that helps. Any chance you can switch to vegetable juice like tomato juice? Fresh pressed would be best, of course, but if you don't have access to a juicer, it can be hard to get and very expensive!

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#729 of 1002 Old 05-23-2006, 10:44 AM

Quote:
This makes total sense! I always feel so much better after eating a beef patty than after eating chicken. I wondered why - both protein, shouldn't make a difference...but the beef has fat! Of course!

And I NEVER drank juice before SCD because of my blood sugar. Another - I just followed with 'fanatical adherence' despite my hesitation about the juice. I'm going to cut WAY down on the juice and use stevia instead of honey. And add the CO back in!

Sadly, I had 2 Tbs of almond butter last night and today, loose stool - I so want to add nut butter!

Is there any reason anyone can think of that the acne seems to be getting worse? (before the nut butter even)
I second the pecan butter (almond and pecan are supposed to be easiest to digest). As for honey, I've found I can use a couple of tablespoons a day and it doesn't seem to affect my blood sugar issues. Acne--it might be a die off reaction, since the skin is one of the first places where toxins are eliminated.

Well I ended up eating some of the first batch of goat yogurt...we'll see if DD reacts to the powdered milk in it or not. I tasted both batches--the first batch tasted like yogurt, not as sour as I'd expected though. The second batch wasn't as sour and I wanted a drink as soon as I ate a bite, so I figure it went bad. I'm not sure why.
#730 of 1002 Old 05-23-2006, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My acne had a really bad flare up the day before it got better - so bad that I cried that it "wasn't working", and my husband had to aggressively stop me from going to the mall to buy Proactive again. I've also found that the SCD stages are organized much differently than what I have reactions to - there is stuff in stage 4 and 5 that I can eat no problem, whereas stuff in stage 2 will give me problems (apparently winter squash, and still trying to determine the nut butter thing)It's so frustrating for us, when it takes 3-4 days for us to have a "reaction" Is your acne more cystic, or more surface/whitehead? I've started to hit a balance where I know that I can do all pure meats, fish, eggs, veggies and fruits, but I suspect that anything remotely starchy (like winter squash), nut butter and possibly dry white wine and coconut oil are no-goes. All of these things I introduced within 1 week (one each day) so now I'm not positive what I reacted poorly to. I'm starting to introduce new foods only once every 3-4 days or so, makes it easier than backtracking so hugely. CO made some of the mamas here break out, but I've continued to use that consistently and I think I've ruled it out as the irritant
#731 of 1002 Old 05-23-2006, 11:24 AM
EBG

Quote:
For those who've taken enzymes between meals: what did/do you take, and how often? How long did you take them between meals? I have Candidase and it says the intensive course is 2 caps 3x day for 14 days (1 bottle worth). Would that be enough along with my other yeast-killing things (raw garlic and hopefully goat yogurt)? And if I need to continue taking them in between meals, can I do a reduced dosage?
I just finished a 7-day course of Candidase. I didn't buy the 84 pills because it's so expensive; I wanted to see if it works, first. well it didn't do anything for my candida issues. It did give my bf dd a rash which might be a virus kill-off as Jane suggested. It makes sense because my other dd who is not bf was sick all week with a nasty flu/cold thing but my bf dd didn't get sick, so I think the enzymes were killing off the virus that gave her a rash. I don't know why it didn't work on my yeast issues (No die-off or any improvement) So I'm not going to continue. I decided to try a different enzyme formula later after her rash is gone, or maybe saccharomyces bouldarii, I hear it works on yeast?
#732 of 1002 Old 05-23-2006, 11:31 AM

Annikate- I know I'm probablly missing something obvious but where do I find your blog?

Kara
#733 of 1002 Old 05-23-2006, 11:33 AM
EBG

Quote:
I have an SCD/yeasties question:

So if one is prone to the yeasties, what does one do on SCD? Just skip the juices and fruits? And then when in the first stages if skipping juices and fruits, does one eat more frequently so that one doesn't crash?

I'm a wee bit into Stage 2 and am finding that all of that fruit juice and fruit juice gelatin is making the yeasties go a bit crazy - last night my ears were so itchy it actually kept me awake - woke me up a few times. (For me a sure sign that the yeasties are invading.)

Honestly though I find that the juice keeps me from crashing...I'm hypoglycemic, so without frequent fuel sources, my blood sugar plummets and I crash HARD. And I find it difficult enough to make my three meals a day with a 9 month old who refuses to be put down long enough for me to cook.

Does anyone have any practical advice or been there or...what do I do? I'm finding this to be all so difficult - more than once lately I've not eaten in enogh time and had horrible, horrible days - fighting with DH to the point of feeling like I want a divorce - crazy stuff.

I'm introducing new foods so slowly and also having such a hard time makig any progress with things I can eat - I mean what's good at all about zucchini that's been peeled and de-seeded? Sorry for my typos, my DS needs me...

My ears get itcy too when I feed the yeast. I don't do the juices, nor the honey and very minimal fruit.
Since I don't do fruit juice and still want my jello, I make it with coconut milk and stevia. I know stevia is not legal but not because of the gut.
I'm also finding it hard to get rid of the yeast on SCD even with fruit restriction and enzymes. I'm at a loss because I can't take harsh herbs and I've been eating SCD yogurt, CO and garlic like crazy for months. I don't know what else to try.
#734 of 1002 Old 05-23-2006, 11:40 AM
EBG

Quote:

Be careful with nut butters and nuts. They can throw off your omega balance. NT says macademias have the perfect ratio, so try them. You can buy mac nut butter on Netrition.com. Or do your NT thing. I know nuts will aggrevate acne, I get pimples from them, and also from too much CO. What I do is that whenever I eat nuts/butter I take an extra spoonful of CLO. You can take flax oil if you tolerate it.
#735 of 1002 Old 05-23-2006, 11:50 AM
EBG

Where can you get Bernard Jensen gelatin outside radiant life catalog? Also, is the NOW brand gelatin powder any good, or should I just stick to what is certain?
#736 of 1002 Old 05-23-2006, 11:54 AM

I am going to be joining you with the SCD starting june 1. We have noticed that dd2 who is almost 7 months has really mucusy stools when she eats baby food. I noticed in the super baby food book that she says that can be a sign of not digesting the food properly. She has done bananas, avacados, and sweet potatoes. She loves eating baby food (although its only 1 tablespoon daily) Do you agree that I should hold off on them and just do BM until we get our guts healed? Can I give her the 24 hr yogurt now that she is 7 months to give her some good bacterias?
#737 of 1002 Old 05-23-2006, 12:54 PM

Just working through this month's thread, but I wanted to link you all to my post from last September wrt EFLF Healthy Recovery http://www.mothering.com/discussions...8&postcount=72
Quote:
Update on us: Well, first of all, I haven't had the chance to read through the thread yet, but I hope to be able to soon. Just wanted to let you all know how the Healthy Recovery diet from Eat Fat Lose Fat went.
First of all, it was wonderful not having to think about what I was going to make every night for supper! But more than that, we've noticed some definite improvement - of course, dd's also under homeopathic care and I've been going for Body Talk sessions, so that might be related. The very first thing I noticed is that on the plan, dd wasn't constantly after me for food all day. She ate three meals and two or three snacks and that was enough. Her mood significantly improved. Towards the end of the plan, her poop started to take on a better consistency, and I could tell she was digesting her food a lot better. Pretty much everything I've said for her goes for me too.
Unfortunately, we had a houseguest the week after doing the plan, and wound up eating restaurant food for a week, then we caught colds and while we're better now, our meals are just getting back up to standard. Even with that, however, dd's still digesting things better than she did before the plan.
So, in case you're interested, the basic principles are: high fat meals, increased dosages of cod liver oil, rose hip tea (they actually suggest acerola powder for vit C, but I can't get it here, so I subbed rose hip tea), all grains soaked-only sourdough bread, soaked crackers or rice crackers actually appeared on the plan, and only about 2 servings/day of the grains, all veggies cooked (except one day had a baby lettuce salad with high-fat dressing for easier digestion), lots of bone broths (for minerals - they're very easy to digest), organ meats and fish, and the biggest one - lactofermented veggies or drinks at every meal impart digestive enzymes and bacteria to help digest meals.
Anyway, the plan is to jump right back on the wagon, I just have to get my butt in gear and plan some meals here
For a number of reasons (mostly crazy pregnancy donut cravings) we never really got back to it . . . but we're getting our new house Friday and I hope to start a plan shortly after we move in.
We went gluten free over the weekend, and that alone seemed to make a difference in dd's behaviour. We had wheat at supper last nigh and there was a noticable difference.
#738 of 1002 Old 05-23-2006, 03:25 PM

H2O2 breaks down into water and oxygen - for those who were wondering (2H2O2---->2H2O + O2)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide
#739 of 1002 Old 05-23-2006, 03:51 PM

I've finally finished reading the thread, and there sure is a lot to "digest" ()

One thing that really doesn't resonate with me is the idea of taking so many supplements . . . I think I'll have to reread Fourfold Path to Healing, NT, BTVC, EFLF and Garden of Eating and come up with a gameplan based on all of those. Right now dd's sleeping problems, hyperactivity, loose stools, yeast rash and brand new yeast infection are my top priority. My own issues are fatigue, depression, abdominal pain, loose stools, major irritablity and numbness of my baby toe.
Off to read some books!
#740 of 1002 Old 05-23-2006, 05:09 PM

Aha, it was you HerthElde! I thought I remembered someone doing HR from EFLF.

But geez I got sick of coconut milk/oil real fast, I never got fully on the program, but have tried to just up CO and bone broths plus kefir/kombucha. I recently went back on grains.

The kombucha is fabulous, I'm totally loving it.
#741 of 1002 Old 05-23-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker
I am going to be joining you with the SCD starting june 1. We have noticed that dd2 who is almost 7 months has really mucusy stools when she eats baby food. I noticed in the super baby food book that she says that can be a sign of not digesting the food properly. She has done bananas, avacados, and sweet potatoes. She loves eating baby food (although its only 1 tablespoon daily) Do you agree that I should hold off on them and just do BM until we get our guts healed? Can I give her the 24 hr yogurt now that she is 7 months to give her some good bacterias?
I wouldn't give her dairy until after a year if you suspect gut issues. Do her stools go back to normal with ebf? Do that until they do and then if you stick with SCD legal solids for her, she will have a better chance of digesting them: bananas with black spots, avocados are good, no sweet potatoes, try butternut squash. Go really slowly, wait several days b/f introducing a food.

Upping your probiotics will pass thru your BM to her.
#742 of 1002 Old 05-23-2006, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
Where can you get Bernard Jensen gelatin outside radiant life catalog? Also, is the NOW brand gelatin powder any good, or should I just stick to what is certain?
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...jsp?id=BJ-1024
#743 of 1002 Old 05-23-2006, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violin4
I ordered the diet book and have been trying to get a handle on what you can eat to start this program. Assuming no yogurt at first because of milk allergies in bf babe...Is it really just chk & beef, broth & carrots, gelatin and grape juice? I know I can't do juice because it sends my blood sugar plummiting and I know I can't do just meat because I get totally constipated (I need a few veggies too to avoid it). Any suggestions?

Also here's two other of my kids with problems I could use suggestions for:
The gelatin in the juice will slow down absorption, give it a try b/c that and the carrots will be the only carbs you have. It's only for a few days.

Try goat's milk, my DS is really sensitive to cow's and does fine on goat.

For your kids, you can start with a high vitamin CLO and 24 hr. yogurt smoothies. What do they usually eat? Cut sugar/white flour/processed food, etc. Constipation is an intestinal flora issue too. You might want to check out making water kefir sodas too for alternative forms of probiotics for them, link in Cheat Sheet.
#744 of 1002 Old 05-23-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dalai_mama
Our local Whole Foods has refined and unrefined coconut oil. What is the difference?
Spectrum is

Nutiva or Garden of Life is good, the former is cheaper.
#745 of 1002 Old 05-23-2006, 05:22 PM

Quote:
How much is Candidase? I used No Fenol and Peptizyde from Houston between meals, I don't know if they are comparable or what. But Pept. is really strong I can tell you that.
#746 of 1002 Old 05-23-2006, 05:23 PM

OK I'm confused about diets. I started doing Kefier, 0 carbs, raw nuts , ect. per some sites on diets I found. Now I'm finding I shouldent do ANY dairy no matter what but can do some fruits blah blah. This is for candidaisis. Can any lead me to sites that are not confusing?
#747 of 1002 Old 05-23-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1gg1e
Hi Ive been lerking off and on for a while.

I've had candida overgrowth in my tummy scince Nov. but the antibiotics I had with the brith of my daughter got me here in the forst place.

I've eliminated yeast, wheat,gluten , caffine, ect from my diet and am working with a MND in town.

My biigest frustration is that I'm still nursing and it keeps me from taking alot of herbs. Ive been takeing an acidophious with 15 strains for months now a t high doses, its called Iflora. any take it before? know of anything better?

All was intersted in info on Raw Milk.

See info on where to find raw milk here:
www.realmilk.com

Homemade yogurt cultured for 24 hrs. is way way stronger than capsules.
http://www.healingcrow.com/ferfun/co...onspiracy.html

Also can try kefir, kombucha, sauerkraut for other food sources of probiotics, again these are stronger than capsules and more likely to colonize gut IME.
#748 of 1002 Old 05-23-2006, 05:25 PM

Speaking of Sacc. boulardii, that is in Kombucha tea.
#749 of 1002 Old 05-23-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
This might be a silly question, but how many times a day do you all eat yogurt? Can too much be a bad thing?
I think Elaine said a certain amount, maybe 2 cups, but personally I think it's individually based. If you like it and don't see any reactions, go for it.

Edit: whoops, sorry she said 3 cups
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...urt_amount.htm
#750 of 1002 Old 05-23-2006, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyofPunkiePie
Am I kidding myself that this scalp is *not* yeast related?
Maybe it's that the chlorine in the water is more ... and killing the beneficial bacteria on surface of scalp exacerbates the problem.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page