Healing the Gut Tribe ~ May - Page 27 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2006, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stevia is still very natural...I don't use it because I don't like the taste but it isn't harmful like aspartame or splenda. Who different ball game. I don't use flavored NaturalCalm, but magnesium in and of itself is REALLY relaxing. My dh joked for awhile that it made him feel tipsy until his body balanced out. It is very nourishing and relaxing to the muscles. If you reacted that strongly I would definitely keep it up. Also, you are supposed to work up to the recommended dose. I believe the package tells you to start at one tsp and work up to three.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2006, 01:19 PM

Well, it's official. : Dh, ds (5yo), and I did the spit test this morning and we all have yeast overgrowth. I'm going to take baby steps until after we move however, just so I don't burn out and throw the towel in. Does the length of the string and the time it takes for them to form indicate anything? Mine were short and slow to form, ds's were really long and super fast and dh was somewhere in the middle.
We already drink a lot of kombucha and a comercially prepared kefir, and the kids take a modrately spendy powered probiotic, which I guess is useless. I'm going to up the start my own kefir and komucha (as soon as I get a scoby), and look for some water grains. the rest of the diet will have to wait until the move is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo
Annikate,

what didn't you like about the natural calm?
I want to know too, as ours is on the way and I have such high hopes!
Old 05-24-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
Stevia is still very natural...I don't use it because I don't like the taste but it isn't harmful like aspartame or splenda. Who different ball game. I don't use flavored NaturalCalm, but magnesium in and of itself is REALLY relaxing. My dh joked for awhile that it made him feel tipsy until his body balanced out. It is very nourishing and relaxing to the muscles. If you reacted that strongly I would definitely keep it up. Also, you are supposed to work up to the recommended dose. I believe the package tells you to start at one tsp and work up to three.
Yeah, I tried the 3 tsp. 'cause I had been taking mag in capsule form for a long time. I suspected the capsules were not doing much for me. Guess I was right.

I ordered some regular NC today just to see if it was the mag or the stevia that I reacted to. Probably the mag - - wow! I must've really been deficient!
Old 05-24-2006, 02:40 PM

I actually DO like the Natural Calm but when I found out about the stevia I decided not to use it anymore. I should have done some reading before ordering but I was so anxious to try it to see if helped dd2 sleep better. I ordered some unflavored NC today though.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000
Hoping for some advice....
I'm in the process of interviewing a naturopath for some guidance with the health issues that I'm dealing with - I found her on the local WAPF site. She's very big on Juice Plus, a whole foods fruits and vegetables supplement. I'm feeling a little skittish about a health practicioner being so focused on one (multi-level marketing) product. Anyone have any comments or experience about this product specifically, or in general about practicioners that recommend a product like this? My gut feeling is that there's something not quite right, but I also don't want to limit healing just based on my pre-concieve allopathic biases (which is the whole reason why I called her in the first place). TIA, I'm totally not in Kansas anymore.
Especially strange that a WAPF member would push supplements. WAPF is all about food first and then natural supplements only. I've never seen them recommend Juice Plus.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:39 PM

definitely seeing a reaction to the wobenzymes i've been taking... i'm so glad enzymes dont' make my 8mo ebf ds hyper. after about a week on the wobenymes, ds had a few spit ups and a some diarrhea (sp?) for a couple days, but now that it's over he has been waking up only once a night to nurse for the past 3 nights! before he was an every 3 hours around the clock eater. the first week on wobenzymes he woke up twice as much - though not because of wanting to eat but because he was SO hot and sweaty, which i thought was because the weather heating up but now the temp is the same but he's ok - it was so tiring, makes me really feel for you mama's that have babes who wake up every hour or so all night! he also seems to have switched to eating every 4 hours instead of 3 during the day too.

fingers crossed that there was some good healing going on, and that my baby is on his way to perfect health! (funny that i now think of him as sick, when i considered him perticularly healthy for months -his only problem was an allergic reaction to milk consumed by me) i've been feeling some intestanal rumblings too as those yeasties sing their death shanty...

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
Old 05-24-2006, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita
i've been feeling some intestanal rumblings too as those yeasties sing their death shanty...
:
Old 05-24-2006, 10:41 PM

Tell me about these wobenzymes

Where do you get them? What are they? I googled real quick and am not finding much.

I have discovered two things with enzymes. I can handle 1/4 a capsul of zyme prime right now. And Beet Kvass makes my tummy feel much better. It is so strange because for a at least a month I was tolerating 2 digest golds with every meal and one with every snack w/o any issues at all. Sigh. This just isn't easy to figure out.

Oh and I think my yeast flare up could be death throes. I forgot that it majorly flared when I first started the diet. My itchy ears, nips and nether regions aren't much fun but hopefully they are because this CO is doing something, not a bad sign like i was first thinking.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Old 05-25-2006, 12:18 AM

Hi mamas,

I lurk here and have posted a couple of times...we think my DS (9) is showing signs of asthma and allergies...I am going to take him to my doc (nutritionist/chiro and WAPF chapter leader) soon but in the meantime am reading up on healing a leaky gut, as I'm sure he's got one.

Anyway, I'm wanting to try enzymes for him...based on what I read at Karen DeFelice's site, I ordered some Mucostop, but I looked at the bottle and it says "do not remove contents from capsule." I was planning to mix the enzymes with food and start with less than a capsule, but I'm not sure now. My bottle of Digest Gold doesn't have a statement like this. Does anyone know why they would say that with this particular one or whether I can do it anyway?

TIA!
Old 05-25-2006, 12:28 AM

Wobenzyme is a very strong multiple protease...so you aren't getting all the enzymes but it is pretty darn effective.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:40 AM

So I also googled Wobenzymes. From a quick read, it sounds good, but took many sites until I could find one that sold them. Then I found this one and was blown away by the price!!! Then I saw that was the price for 800. But they also sell it in 200.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:51 AM

What are your thoughts on the chewable enzymes from Houstons. Could the benefit outweigh the illegals? I gave up on trying to get enzymes into dd a few months ago but as long as these taste decent I know she would happily eat them before every single meal. I just want for her (and us) to be better. I guess really I just need to try them out...

our family is <>< and :
Old 05-25-2006, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine
So I also googled Wobenzymes. From a quick read, it sounds good, but took many sites until I could find one that sold them. Then I found this one and was blown away by the price!!! Then I saw that was the price for 800. But they also sell it in 200.
You might want to get them at vitacost.com instead--they're significantly cheaper there (like 2/3 of the price!).
Old 05-25-2006, 12:57 AM

we use them. I kind of figured that whatever was in the enzymes was being broken down by the enzymes-I just always took zyme prime with them. Zyme Prime breaks down sugars-so even between meals I took all three if doing the chewables. I initially got them for on the road usage, but we converted full time.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:11 AM

Ok I ordered them.

I also wanted to mention that the hustons magnesium is good. Legal and I tolerate it well, even in high doses. Not so much the fizz stuff. It is a pill though so it won't go into a little one easily and each pill is just 100 mg so if you are trying to get the 1200 mg recomended by mt on the other thread that is 12 pills to swallow.

That said, after taking 5 with lunch today I napped quite well.

our family is <>< and :
Old 05-25-2006, 01:40 AM

Thank you, caedmyn, you just saved me a bunch of money. So I just went ahead and got them. Figured I can keep waiting and trying to figure out this stuff to see what is best for me, or I can just try something.

Pattlya, I see you got some too. We can compare notes.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:27 AM

I'm on day eight of doing SCD, and I woke up again this morning feeling very weak and light-headed. I've moved onto eating cheese, and I had thought that eating a decent amount of that would help with the weakness. (To recap, I'm normally vegan...so I've done some fish on this diet and lots of eggs and now cheese...but can't bring myself to do anything beyond that.)

I just really don't feel good on this diet. Do I just need to stick it out? Or could I be low in iron? Or is there something I else I could be doing?

It seems like my son is doing better (rashy pimples on cheeks and upper arms seem to be clearing up, and he seems to be spitting up a lot less) but I'm not sure that my skin (which is one of the major reasons I started SCD) is a whole lot better. Definitely not worse, but not majorly better, I don't think.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama
I'm on day eight of doing SCD, and I woke up again this morning feeling very weak and light-headed. I've moved onto eating cheese, and I had thought that eating a decent amount of that would help with the weakness. (To recap, I'm normally vegan...so I've done some fish on this diet and lots of eggs and now cheese...but can't bring myself to do anything beyond that.)

I just really don't feel good on this diet. Do I just need to stick it out? Or could I be low in iron? Or is there something I else I could be doing?

It seems like my son is doing better (rashy pimples on cheeks and upper arms seem to be clearing up, and he seems to be spitting up a lot less) but I'm not sure that my skin (which is one of the major reasons I started SCD) is a whole lot better. Definitely not worse, but not majorly better, I don't think.

Any thoughts/ideas?
It could be die off if you aren't feeling well. I didn't feel too good for the first couple of weeks, although I think it was because I just wasn't eating enough and was losing some weight I didn't have to lose. Are you eating a lot of fat? That really seems to help me feel better throughout the day.

As far as the acne goes, for me it always take at least a couple of weeks if I try something new before I see positive results. I know, it's hard to be patient on this
Old 05-25-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
Ok I ordered them.

I also wanted to mention that the hustons magnesium is good. Legal and I tolerate it well, even in high doses. Not so much the fizz stuff. It is a pill though so it won't go into a little one easily and each pill is just 100 mg so if you are trying to get the 1200 mg recomended by mt on the other thread that is 12 pills to swallow.

That said, after taking 5 with lunch today I napped quite well.
You might be careful with taking all of it at once, a huge dose can be too much. This link seems informative and objective: http://www.krispin.com/magnes.html It appears that one should divide the dose, no more than 300mg a dose, and no later than 5pm.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:16 PM

Okay, so I did the spit test. Yeast. Definitely a yeast problem. Of course, I knew that.

So if enzymes are proteins that act as catalysts, is it not possible that overdoing enzymes could contribute to further gut damage? Anyone done any research in that area?
Old 05-25-2006, 12:23 PM

Hey Mamas

I saw this thread on MDC, and wanted to discuss our experiences w/food & children and setting limits. I didn't want to post on that thread as my experiences are vastly different (TED and now SCD).

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=454111

Thoughts?

Oh, and I hope I'm not violating the UA, I'm not bashing the thread or anything, just using it as a springboard for a conversation for us.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Any thoughts/ideas?
New Mama, It sounds like you probably are dehydrated or have a low blood pressure. Are you eating salt liberally? Eat lots, unless you have high blood pressure. I am assuming that you don't. And drink at least 8 full glasses of liquid, preferably water every day. (Enough so that you are peeing like you are pregnant. ) Also, are you getting enough potassium? This is tricky and very important if you are having loose stools. Weakness and muscle tiredness is associated with low potassium, especially if you are lifting and carrying a heavy baby all day. Use of large muscle groups depletes potassium. As you add sodium you also need to add potassium. Magnesium can make blood pressure low in large quantities. But, magnesium is important. Are you eating foods high in magnesium? It is all interconnected.

Just be cautious with supplements and know how they effect each other and how to notice signs of too much/too little.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamama
New Mama, It sounds like you probably are dehydrated or have a low blood pressure. Are you eating salt liberally? Eat lots, unless you have high blood pressure. I am assuming that you don't. And drink at least 8 full glasses of liquid, preferably water every day. (Enough so that you are peeing like you are pregnant. ) Also, are you getting enough potassium? This is tricky and very important if you are having loose stools. Weakness and muscle tiredness is associated with low potassium, especially if you are lifting and carrying a heavy baby all day. Use of large muscle groups depletes potassium. As you add sodium you also need to add potassium. Magnesium can make blood pressure low in large quantities. But, magnesium is important. Are you eating foods high in magnesium? It is all interconnected.

Just be cautious with supplements and know how they effect each other and how to notice signs of too much/too little.

Pat
I do have very low blood sugar.

Do you think I''m getting enough potassium if I'm eating a few bananas each day? FWIW I'm almost constipated...and I never had any problems in this area before starting this diet.

I just started a magnesium supplement -- what foods are high in magnesium?

Thanks!

Old 05-25-2006, 01:21 PM

strawberries and mushrooms are higher in poatssium than bananas if I remember correctly. Magnesium-nuts are a great source!

I felt awful for about a week on the diet. Mine started almost immediately, and some people have it start later. I would stick it out at this point for sure. Try adding more fat, it may help, it may not.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
strawberries and mushrooms are higher in poatssium than bananas if I remember correctly. Magnesium-nuts are a great source!

I felt awful for about a week on the diet. Mine started almost immediately, and some people have it start later. I would stick it out at this point for sure. Try adding more fat, it may help, it may not.
Thanks for the encouragement -- I had a horrible incident of hot flashes and weakness one day after starting the diet, then I've just felt kind of weak and light-headed off and on, and then this morning again I felt just awful.

I bought some cashew butter and have already this morning had a few spoonfuls. I was thinking I'd stay away from nuts for a while but maybe this is okay? I hope so, because I found I LOVE cashew butter! Better than almond butter or natural PB. Yum!

I also have my first batch of 24-hour yogurt cooking right now. Would it be okay to add blueberries to it -- maybe if I cooked them? (Not that I have the faintest idea how to cook fruit...and what do I do about the skins?)

I know I could do this diet if I could just get to the point of baking with nut flour, cooking with beans, and making smoothies.

And it doesn't help that there's half a HFS chocolate birthday cake in the fridge...

Old 05-25-2006, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I do have very low blood sugar.

Do you think I''m getting enough potassium if I'm eating a few bananas each day? FWIW I'm almost constipated...and I never had any problems in this area before starting this diet.

I just started a magnesium supplement -- what foods are high in magnesium?

Thanks!
See post #514 for a link to foods high in Magnesium. It is on page 26.
See post #578 for a link to foods high in Potassium. It is on page 29.

See post #582 regarding a caution about using potassium supplements. It can cause heart irregualarities if too much at once is taken.

The "BRAT" diet causes constipation: bananas, rice, apples, toast. This is helpful when one has diarrhea. Drinking plenty of fluids will help decrease constipation too. And the Magnesium will probably "help", ie might *cause* diarrhea.

Low blood sugar and low blood pressure are different. Eating simple sugars in large amounts at one time could cause an insulin dump and the subsequent jittery, hungry, weak, lightheadedness of a low blood sugar level. Eating fats and proteins with the monosaccharides will help avoid the crash.

HTH, Pat

I have a blog.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Low blood sugar and low blood pressure are different.
I meant pressure, not sugar. Oops!

Old 05-25-2006, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I meant pressure, not sugar. Oops!
So do I, usually in the 77-85/50 range. I HAVE to eat salt on everything. Lots of it. And drink lots of water. This makes a big difference in how lightheaded I feel, especially moving from sitting or lying to standing.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine
Thank you, caedmyn, you just saved me a bunch of money. So I just went ahead and got them. Figured I can keep waiting and trying to figure out this stuff to see what is best for me, or I can just try something.

Pattlya, I see you got some too. We can compare notes.
I got the houston's chewables. And I have renewed my resolve to get yeast fighting enzymes into me no matter how lousy it makes me feel. Two days of it and my yeast is improving already

our family is <>< and :
Old 05-25-2006, 05:29 PM

Quote:
You might be careful with taking all of it at once, a huge dose can be too much. This link seems informative and objective: http://www.krispin.com/magnes.html It appears that one should divide the dose, no more than 300mg a dose, and no later than 5pm.

Pat
I'm not finding that link...

our family is <>< and :

User Tag List