Healing the Gut Tribe ~ May - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1002 Old 05-02-2006, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nicolena- You are pasturizing your raw milk yougart when you heat it that much. you are fine. True raw milk yougart, you never heat the milk past 110 or so.

I'm really intrigued by the coconut oil. Hmmmm..... Might have to put that book on my wishlist....

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#62 of 1002 Old 05-02-2006, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS

The "Health Recovery" diet in the book is not for weight loss. It is for healing a number of autoimmune conditions including serious or not so serious digestive disorders:

The HR diet is based on a lot of coconut oil and coconut milk, lacto-fermented foods and beverages (kefir sodas and yogurt), and lots of homemade bone broth. They recommend raw milk and kefir/yogurt but there is a high calcium milk alternative made from coconut milk and KAL dolomite powder if you are allergic to dairy. And the fermented foods and kefir sodas are great dairy free sources of probiotics.

Also includes eggs, meat, liver (or just dessicated liver tablets), fish, cod liver oil, high vitamin butter oil, animal fats, vegetables, natural vitamin C from amla or acerola powder and only one serving of soaked grains/day. Swedish bitters or apple cider vinegar for liver and digestive support.
Do you think it would be beneficial to combine this with SCD (add in kefir sodas & do lacto-fermented foods early) or would it be better to just stick to the SCD?
#63 of 1002 Old 05-02-2006, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolena
oh--and seeds. iread somewhere not to add seeds til 3 months, but is that sunflower seeds vs seeds in zucchini? when can i stop deseeding the zucchini? again, i know it's trial and error; i just hate not to deseed and go back to diarrhea again.
Somebody posted on the pecanbread forum that you don't have to de-seed small zucchini...not sure if that's accurate or not.
#64 of 1002 Old 05-02-2006, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
Nicolena- You are pasturizing your raw milk yougart when you heat it that much. you are fine. True raw milk yougart, you never heat the milk past 110 or so.

I'm really intrigued by the coconut oil. Hmmmm..... Might have to put that book on my wishlist....
Does anyone do raw milk yogurt? Why is it illegal? I plan to do raw milk yogurt if I can ever do dairy again...I do raw honey too even if that is not legal. It just seems like it is better to get the benefits of the enzymes that are in the raw forms.
#65 of 1002 Old 05-02-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Welcome!

Gas and distention means you are not digesting your food properly. Like I said above, I think a vegan diet can contribute to this. Unsoaked whole grains and soy have huge amounts of digestive enzyme inhibitors.

IBS means nothing to most doctors. It means they don't know what you have. However, there is actually some mainstream research showing it is SIBO, Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth... an intestinal flora issue. I posted several months back an interesting article on this at Medscape I think. This can definately be the cause of the inflammation you feel in the upper part of your intestine. I had this too, feeling like you have a bit of a shelf right?

However, again, modern medicine mostly denies the intestinal flora role in digestive health and doesn't know what to do with it, despite the fact that it is the cornerstone of our immune and digestive system, weighs over 3 lbs in a normal adult and acts like another organ in its function.... we would die if our gi tract was sterilized.

Yes I think pasteurized milk yogurt is indeed helpful. That is what the SCD is based on, they strictly forbid raw milk yogurt. However, Baby Jarrow is just bifidobacterium I think, for the large intestine and evidence is that lactobacillus for the small intestine is what's needed for the digestive issues that you are experiencing.

Re: coconut
While reading my new favorite book Eat Fat, Lose Fat I think the major reasons why Firefaery and I have gotten well rather more quickly than SCD says, is liberal use of coconut oil. Will be posting more about this in a bit.

The curious thing is that my "problem" (outrageously distended stomach and constipation) happened AFTER I cut out a lot of grains and almost all soy. Years ago I found out enough about the dangers of soy and cut way back. I did discover that I had less gas. Since doing Eat to Live, I cut way back on grains, although didn't cut them out completely. My current GI stuff came about 7 months into doing E2L.

Like New Mama, I am also hesitant start eating meat. I won't say never, but I am really torn about it. I read everyone's posts and believe you when you say you are healing, but I do struggle with the thought of eating meat. Even as a child and growing up, I was a reluctant meat eater. Except for beef. I liked that rare. I did love dairy and would never have believed that I would ever give up cheese. I never did completely. Interestingly, we did have raw milk during my teenage years.

The point where I feel that there could be inflammation, as in it hurts upon palpation, is where the large intestine starts, so my lower right abdomin. I just got Mothering today, and one of the letters discusses ileocecal valve syndrome, which from reading it sounds very possibly my problem. To be fixed with chiropractic care or taking liquid chlorophyll every day. Here is the link, if anyone is interested. I haven't checked it out yet. I am headed there next. I am not sure if it addresses the fact that my stomach distends without my feeling it immediately upon eating. Sure I have the physical body feeling that my stomach is way larger than it should be, but I don't have any cramping, gas pains, nothing.

I did buy dairy kefir today -- the recommended brand from the BED website. I was reminded how I don't really care for the taste. I only have the powder starter right now which I used for the coconut and need to get some grains.

That is excellent news about the coconut, as I will happily consume more fat. I made a rockin coconut curry sauce tonight. Even DD ate it, despite it being a bit spicy. She has also been drinking the kefir with me. I don't think that she has real issues other than at almost 4.5 still not sleeping through the night and a tendency towards circles under her eyes.
#66 of 1002 Old 05-02-2006, 11:40 PM

WOW-go away for a day and you miss so much!
An interesting thought...
At an ACTLC lecture a naturopath (who worked for Great Smokies for 7 years) stated that immune cells during pregnancy migrate from the gut to the breast tissue. So clearly the mother's gut health has alot to do with baby's gut health. Infants should have leaky gut, as Jane said, but the mother's milk SHOULD be working to heal that. It won't do it's job if mama has a damaged gut. IT's one of the reason's we know that if a baby is reacting to a food, it's really mama that is reacting-just probably compensating in a different way.

Jane:
I don't eat the oil from MRH, jsut use it for body care and other things that are external...making lotions and things. I eat the Nutiva. ANd yes, I easily go through about five pounds a month. A 9 pound tub will last almost 2 months. YUM. I use it for so many things, but about five TBS. end up in our smoothies each morning. I also make fudge (almond "fudge" and other freezer treats) and raw dehydrated macaroons with it.

I saw a difference in my skin immerdiately, but by 4-6 weeks I had no more breakouts at all.
#67 of 1002 Old 05-03-2006, 12:47 AM

This is totally OT, but...I got a PM from somebody saying they adopted a baby and were searching for donor BM and asking if I would be interested in donating (I posted in the breast feeding forum that I thought I have an oversupply issue). But the PM'er has 0 posts and under her user name it says she is banned. Should I email her or do you think it is somebody weird, for lack of a better description.
#68 of 1002 Old 05-03-2006, 01:03 AM

i'd stay far away from that. I have low supply but dd wasn't eating-so when I started producing I had far more than she was able to eat. I have donated (and assisted donations) to mamas on this board-but not banned mamas with no posts.
#69 of 1002 Old 05-03-2006, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I also make fudge (almond "fudge" and other freezer treats) and raw dehydrated macaroons with it.
ff, will you post this recipe over in SCD chefs? It sounds yummy.

Here's the link for all the new people.
#70 of 1002 Old 05-03-2006, 09:18 AM

food, exercise, supplements, and feelings log- i have created one in excel- how do i attach?
#71 of 1002 Old 05-03-2006, 09:30 AM

thanks for the reassurance about the milk. and, woohoo, zuchhini seed containing muffins here we come!

coconut oil--i LOVE grated zuchhini or squash ("grated" in the food processor) cooked in a couple tbsps of co. i save the leftovers and eat it cold. it has the best slightly sweet flavor and tastes "cold"--my mom had a bite and couldn't believe how good it was.

my girls can't tolerate the coconut macaroons yet (ala eflf).

(and i'd stay away from zero-posters asking for stuff too.) gotta run
#72 of 1002 Old 05-03-2006, 10:08 AM

:
#73 of 1002 Old 05-03-2006, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
This is totally OT, but...I got a PM from somebody saying they adopted a baby and were searching for donor BM and asking if I would be interested in donating (I posted in the breast feeding forum that I thought I have an oversupply issue). But the PM'er has 0 posts and under her user name it says she is banned. Should I email her or do you think it is somebody weird, for lack of a better description.
Keep your nutrients right now unless you just have extra in the freezer or something. When you're better, that might be a different story.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#74 of 1002 Old 05-03-2006, 10:37 AM

ambercrystal--can you copy and paste? or does the formatting get messed up?
#75 of 1002 Old 05-03-2006, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, forgive me if you've kicked this dead horse before:
I just finished reading Nourishing Traditions (LOVED it!). Has anyone else questioned the "6-8 glasses of water per day" mantra? In my mind, it seems so destructive to digestion, yet obviously water is necessary for so many of our balances. Has anyone figured out a practical way to handle the paradox?

I've definately made a change to when I drink water - no water a half hour before or within 2 hours after eating. But it doesn't leave much time to get in much water. I remember reading over at the Support for Mamas with Bad Skin tribe, a suggestion to drink your water warm with a squeeze of lemon. Seems like a good idea now that I understand a little bit better.
#76 of 1002 Old 05-03-2006, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Do you think it would be beneficial to combine this with SCD (add in kefir sodas & do lacto-fermented foods early) or would it be better to just stick to the SCD?

i want to add kefir sodas for myself, but right now i'm only gving kefir to dh. he's about to change jobs (We're pretty sure), so i'm going to start him on scd when he'll have to interact with the fewest people. it is going to suck to be around him during die-off!

i'm thinking i may add kefir to the girls and me after we've been on scd for 2 monre months. (we've had it before and i think it gave the girls a rash, but now i think that's because i hgave them storebought with sugar in it.) i also want to buy some bottles to make soda--i already bought the ginger and the lime juice.

my face has been breaking out since the diet started almost. i thought it was because i stopped using some product that bliss labs convinced me i needed. then i thought perhaps it was stress. i don't know what it is, but i put a little coconut oil on this am and am interested in buying some big tubs noW!

i'm working on the water thing too, but i forget all the time. i used to drink SO much! now i'm afraid i drink too little. finding your own balance is such a hard job! but hopefully my girls won't have to go thru this themselves. i really wish i had somebody to tell me what to do every step of the way. i appreciate your guys being here.

now i need to stop a fight and the imminent destruction of a book.
#77 of 1002 Old 05-03-2006, 11:10 AM

Can someone give me a synopsis of what NT says about water? I am guessing it goes along the lines that we don't need 6-8 glasses of water?? I know in Germany, where half my family is, they are not so fanatical about drinking water. And they wouldn't dream of putting ice in it. There you drink mineral water, not tap.

That all said, I do drink to thirst, but that can mean that I still drink alot. Sometimes I think that drinking water just makes me thirstier. Last night I put lemon in my water and it helped.
#78 of 1002 Old 05-03-2006, 11:16 AM

I made the monstor cookies last night and ate 2. I also tried the co in hot water thing. I had the worst stomach ache overnight. Felt like I was gonna puke for a while. Any guesses as to which one it was? I'm now scared to try either again.

Also, my co is refined. I had heard that is best for cooking with and has the mildest taste. DH still hates things fried in it. I can't really taste it but I do agree that eggs fried in ghee are better.

Jane how long did you do scd? You were saying that you healed really quickly. I'm looking for any ideas to heal us that exist. I wanna get better!!!

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#79 of 1002 Old 05-03-2006, 11:31 AM

Hmmm, it may have been aggravating to just have oil in water before bed. I tend to combine the coconut oil with something else and find that it digests much better that way. One of the easier things it to mix almond butter, honey and coconut oil and freeze in balls...you can roll them in coconut or crushed nuts if you want to. I also put a ton into my smoothies.
#80 of 1002 Old 05-03-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
At an ACTLC lecture a naturopath (who worked for Great Smokies for 7 years) stated that immune cells during pregnancy migrate from the gut to the breast tissue. So clearly the mother's gut health has alot to do with baby's gut health. Infants should have leaky gut, as Jane said, but the mother's milk SHOULD be working to heal that. It won't do it's job if mama has a damaged gut. IT's one of the reason's we know that if a baby is reacting to a food, it's really mama that is reacting-just probably compensating in a different way.
So if you're saying that it's a natural process that a baby starts out with a leaky gut and his mother's milk heals that...is it because she passes digestive enzymes to the baby through her milk? Or is there some other process involved?

Also, stupid question, but what is the difference between digestive enzymes and probiotics?

So sorry to be asking all these newbie questions. But this is fascinating and you mams are all so helpful.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#81 of 1002 Old 05-03-2006, 11:50 AM

Can enzymes aggravate DD's eczema? Her eczema flared up (not too bad, though) after I started enzymes again, even going slowly, and now her cheeks have what look like eczema on them, which has never happened before.
#82 of 1002 Old 05-03-2006, 12:00 PM

Mother's milk has far too many components to list! Everything in it basically works to heal up the porous gut. It's not just enzymes, mamas milk has probiotics, immunoglobulins etc.

Enzymes are very different from probiotics. Dietary enzymes work to break down food and other debris. THey are found in the saliva, manufactured in several organs, and can be taken as a supplement. Probiotics are the beneficial bacteria that reside in the gut. Both are necessary for health!
#83 of 1002 Old 05-03-2006, 12:01 PM

Caedmyn-what you are seeing may be a part of a healing crisis-the body pushing toxins out of the skin. Things often get a bit worse before getting better.
#84 of 1002 Old 05-03-2006, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
Caedmyn-what you are seeing may be a part of a healing crisis-the body pushing toxins out of the skin. Things often get a bit worse before getting better.
I hope that's what it is! I'm sure not seeing any other signs of improvement. Do you think it would make things worse to slowly increase the dose on the enzymes? Or would it be better just to maintain my current dose for a while?
#85 of 1002 Old 05-03-2006, 12:11 PM

I wouldn't push it. If it were my kid I'd just maintain at this point. You don't want to make her too uncomfortable.
#86 of 1002 Old 05-03-2006, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

I'm on day 3 of the intro SCD diet.....and I'm not feeling any different. I know, I know, the healing takes time. But specifically, I'm not feeling like crap like everyone else seems to be on this part of the diet. No symptoms of die-off whatsoever. Should I be concerned? I'm not (knowlingly) taking any food that is illegal, but my supplements are probably not SCD-legal (OmegaZyme, L-Glutamine, Calcium, Fish oil, Zinc, Evening Primrose), but there was absolutely NO room in the budget for me to buy different supplements. I've also been leaning heavily on the fruit juices and fruit juice gelatin that's allowed.

I need a boost of confidence.....
#87 of 1002 Old 05-03-2006, 01:07 PM

Shanna, Just MO, but I'd stick w/ water for the bulk of your beverage consumption. Also, die-off is different for everyone. Glad you're feeling good!
#88 of 1002 Old 05-03-2006, 02:08 PM

You probably went through a bit of withdrawal already when you eliminated dairy and gluten. You may see more yet! Oh, and I agree that you should really stick with the water. Juice around here was a treat. I never did the jello.
#89 of 1002 Old 05-03-2006, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
Does anyone do raw milk yogurt? Why is it illegal? I plan to do raw milk yogurt if I can ever do dairy again...I do raw honey too even if that is not legal. It just seems like it is better to get the benefits of the enzymes that are in the raw forms.
I have no idea why it is illegial. And, IMHO, there is no reason it should be. This is why I'm a huge Rubin fan b/c he actually 'gets' nutrition. Raw milk yogurt, preferably goat, raw honey, etc. No saccharin, of course.

Can you do goat dairy? I absolutely cannot do anything that has anything to do w/cow dairy. I get ill, headaches, snotty nose, cramping--wicked fun. The goat yogurt, I have no problem w/at all.

Oh, and since a lot of us are recovering vegans/vegetarians, I was a vegetarian for 10 yrs and vegan for some of that. All for ethical reasons. I now eat meat. My 4 yr old has been confused, but I explained to him that I still do not like killing animals, it makes me sad and it something I never thought I would have to do. But our bodies aren't getting better and we are suffering, and if eating animals will help us heal, then it is something we need to do--even if we really don't want to. And I was lurking on this thread since---last August maybe--never taking the plunge until the beginning of April as I didn't want to do meat, nor dairy.

I'm feeling great now though--and I never thought I was feeling off.
#90 of 1002 Old 05-03-2006, 02:24 PM

Elaine was actually ultra-conservative in alot of her views. The raw milk thing included. I think she would have flipped about the prospect of introducing more "germs" into the system. Jordan Rubin gets nutrition more-mainly because he is a follower of WAP.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page