Healing the Gut Tribe ~ May - Page 34 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#991 of 1002 Old 06-01-2006, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamama
Have you tried raw organic, virgin coconut oil ON the eczema? It helped my dry skin and made dh's eczema much less inflamed. He couldn't use it consistently though since it is greasy and his work shirt covers the eczema.

Pat
I use EVOO on it. I've tried coconut oil before and it doesn't seem to help. I guess I could try it again, though.
#992 of 1002 Old 06-01-2006, 11:54 AM

#993 of 1002 Old 06-01-2006, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Anybody do kombucha here?
This sitesays pg or nursing mamas should not drink it. I have some but haven't tried it yet. Should I not?
There was just a discussion about this, perhaps on the NT site......
One of the ladies there had said that the contraindication comes from the strong deotoxifying effect of kombucha. Most conventional advice says stay away from it for this reason, but logic says that if you've been taking it all along before you get pregnant, you shouldn't suffer a really strong detox when you're pg, the idea being that you've already gone through the initial strong detox. I take it daily, and I'm considering taking it during pregnancy as well because it's such a great source of B vitamins.

On that note: Is there any reason to suspect that my very delayed ovulation is related to my new way of eating? I'm about 4 days late, which is unprecedented. I never did get the last hcg quant after my miscarriage 2 months ago - and I haven't given it a second thought until now because my cycles got regular again, and it just seemed so hysterically unnecessary. But I'm suspecting stress or the diet before I"m suspecting an incomplete MC anyway. Any thoughts? I've been slightly paranoid about inadequate B-Vitamins with having a grain and starch-free diet, but I haven't been taking a B-supplement.
#994 of 1002 Old 06-01-2006, 02:30 PM

well we are on day one here. It has been really easy for me so far. I do need to go to the HFS later and get some nuts.

for breakfast I had fruit salad and 2 eggs
for lunch I am having chicken, various veggies and fruits
Dont know for dinner yet
#995 of 1002 Old 06-01-2006, 03:33 PM

Whee! I started the June thread here!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...40#post5252140
#996 of 1002 Old 06-01-2006, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000
I'm suspecting stress or the diet before I"m suspecting an incomplete MC anyway. Any thoughts? I've been slightly paranoid about inadequate B-Vitamins with having a grain and starch-free diet, but I haven't been taking a B-supplement.
I don't know about your specific situation; but I would not try to get pregnant on a diet low in folic acid, without supplementation: http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/476.html I don't know if you know of this information, but wanted to be certain. My understanding was that supplementing for at least three months in advance was preferable. I believe that I remember that birth control pills deplete folic acid. This link suggests that birth control (hormones) might interfere with absorption of folic acid. I speculate that a pregnancy (miscarriage) could do the same. http://parenting.ivillage.com/ttc/tt...,,3p5r,00.html

B- vitamins are very relevant to the immune system and stress too.

Pat

I have a blog.
#997 of 1002 Old 06-01-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000
There was just a discussion about this, perhaps on the NT site......
One of the ladies there had said that the contraindication comes from the strong deotoxifying effect of kombucha. Most conventional advice says stay away from it for this reason, but logic says that if you've been taking it all along before you get pregnant, you shouldn't suffer a really strong detox when you're pg, the idea being that you've already gone through the initial strong detox. I take it daily, and I'm considering taking it during pregnancy as well because it's such a great source of B vitamins.
Yup, that would be me.

If you're aleady on it, no reason not to continue- it will support your liver through the pregnancy and will lessen the morning sickness.

if you'd like to start it, start with a very low dose and worrk your way up very slowly to avoid the detox reaction. This will assist your liver in filtering the hormones and toxins you come in contact with.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#998 of 1002 Old 06-01-2006, 08:51 PM

Replying here even though the June thread is started . . .
I asked about the komucha - - I'm not pg but am b'feeding. Still go slowly?
#999 of 1002 Old 06-01-2006, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Replying here even though the June thread is started . . .
I asked about the komucha - - I'm not pg but am b'feeding. Still go slowly?
Yes, go slowly. You want to avoid a detox reaction. If you build up slowly, it won't happen.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#1000 of 1002 Old 06-01-2006, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbandj
Hi everyone, I've been absent from this thread for a while but I thought I would pop back in and see how you are all doing. Dd is 15 mo now and doing great. She has regular stools and no rashes on her body whatsoever. Such a different baby compared to 6 months ago. I attribute her skin health to a careful watch over her diet--it mostly consists now of soups, vegetables, fruits, meat, cheese, and a few soy foods like tofu and fermented beans, and tahini. Now that she is older my family and nosey friends and strangers are asking when I will give her rice and other grains. She has not had any at all, I fail to see the nutritional value in a cup of white rice, or a hunk of white bread. I am doing okay, right? There's no need for her to eat grains because she is getting enough fiber and carbs from vegetables and fruits-- I feel like I am doing preventive care, but everyone just thinks I am being dumb. And what is the point of eating cherrioes and crackers?
This is so wonderful Liane!!! I've been wondering how y'all have been doing and I'm so glad to hear from you.

Your proof is in your child, there is absolutely no reason to eat Cheerios and crackers except for laziness! All boxed cereal is not at all healthy... the high heat damages the fats and proteins and also creates acrylmides.
#1001 of 1002 Old 06-01-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo
I was just reading the enzyme thread wondering how you know if you need enzymes?

I'm thinking we are suffering from leaky gut and/or food sensitivities but how do I know? Did everyone here just diagnose themselves or is there a practitioner you can go to to get a diagnosis?

DDs main symptoms are eczema, poor sleep & undigested food in her stool.

I'm so confused.
Self diagnosis as I read more and more about it. Unless you have 1-3 firm brown stools a day with no discernable food and no gas/bloating, you have digestive problems.

How old is DD? Sometimes undigested food is common and normal in younger babes.
#1002 of 1002 Old 06-01-2006, 10:23 PM

Ooops, sorry! Moving to June thread...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page