Healing the Gut Tribe ~ May - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 1002 Old 05-04-2006, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmmm it has a bunch of illegals in it so no good on scd.

Quote:
Organic coconut milk (organic coconut, water, cornstarch, carrageenan, xanthan gum, citric acid).
I'm not finding one that is scd legal :

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#182 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Avocado Pudding

1 avocado
1 T. almond or other nut butter
1-2 T. honey
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Whirl in fp 'til smooth. Devour.
Add some frozen berries (I did raspberries yesterday) and it is super yum.
#183 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 12:50 AM

i'm so delayed in replying here--but i did vax. thank god i stopped before the mmr. but i swear i'm seeing reactions in them like they're healing from each vax i gave them. you probably think i'm insane. the last vax they had was the chicken pox, and then the first illness they got on scd was a roseola-like virus, but the dr said it was NOT roseola (it was important to her for some reason)--i think it was a pox hybrid because some of those spots were blisters and they were in weird places all over the body and face. anyway, they've had various minor things that i really think are related to healing the damage vaxxes did, all since we've started the diet. thank god i'm nursing. thank god i didn't listen to my first pedi (altho i did start them on solids too sooon because of her; my poor babes.

and i hear you on marrying into a wapf family. i've told people it's like i've joined a cult. i think all disease is sugar-related; ie, related to foods that have been stripped of their nutrients/processed. i told my best friend about NT, and she's hooked. i knew i loved her!

sorry for the diversionary rambling..........

oh--and butteruit squash chips are better than you think they'll be. my girls love them. i buy every single organic butternut squash i see. (sorry, i can't remember who was asking for snack ideas.) and caedmyn, i just started doing nut cookies, testing on self first, and i made zucchini muffins today. the girls wouldn't take a nap or go to bed tho. it was the muffin or cheese. i got excited and added too much today.... and one more thing--i did too much juice for a few days there too; i never did juice before, and i realized one day i'd gotten carried away. with honey too. sigh.

A MONTH ON THE DIET, PRETTY FANATICALLY, ADDING COCONUT OIL TO MY GREAT DELIGHT
#184 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 01:47 AM

Yeah! DD hasn't had bloody poop for a week...of course it will probably start up again tomorrow, but it seems that progress is being made--although I don't know if it is the diet or finally having dairy eliminated for long enough. Now if only her other "allergy" symptoms would go away (dark circles under eyes, sometimes greenish poop, rashes). And her eczema--somebody commented on her "rosy" cheeks last night and it made me kind of sad since they are eczema related.

Oh, and my goat share contact person called me today and said they have a share available So hopefully in a couple of weeks I can start in with 24 hr goat yogurt. I've also ordered 2 weeks worth of really strong probiotics so I will use those first before I start the yogurt. I sure hope killing the yeast with probiotics and raw garlic is the answer as thus far I haven't seen any concrete results from the diet.
#185 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 08:54 AM
EBG

I sure hope killing the yeast with probiotics and raw garlic is the answer as thus far I haven't seen any concrete results from the diet.[/QUOTE]

Me too! I'm having no luck with SCD even though I cut out honey and fruits (except avocadoes and blueberries). How much garlic are you eating?

JaneS, thanks so much for posting the article on vaccines, I'll have something to stick on the refrigerator...

Also, if you can't give Tylenol or Ibuprophen, what do you do when they have a fever?
My DD2 had fever all night. First I did nothing because it's a good thing, but she was so miserable, couldn't sleep, so I tried cold compresses, didn't work so I gave up and gace her a half dose Tylenol which did the trick. It's the lesser of the two evils, right?
#186 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Yes absolutely, but won't have minerals or gelatin of those "b" broths to New Mama!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#187 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Also, if you can't give Tylenol or Ibuprophen, what do you do when they have a fever?
My DD2 had fever all night. First I did nothing because it's a good thing, but she was so miserable, couldn't sleep, so I tried cold compresses, didn't work so I gave up and gace her a half dose Tylenol which did the trick. It's the lesser of the two evils, right?

Here is a thread about this question. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...hlight=tylenol

And here is one about the benefits of a fever: http://www.jrussellshealth.com/fever.html

One issue is that Tylenol wears off abruptly and Motrin wears off more slowly. Ferver spikes are more common when Tylenol wears off abruptly. Febrile seizures are more common with fever spikes. We never use Tylenol. There are potential issues with liver toxicity too. Motrin has risks associated with taking it with viruses. And masking illness and vaccine reactions is a whole 'nuther issue.

Pat

I have a blog.
#188 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 10:20 AM

ebg- are the blueberries cooked? Are you cooking and deseeding everything you eat? Did you do the intro diet? Have you tried enzymes?

our family is <>< and :
#189 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 11:09 AM

Quote:
My DH was going along with my "wait until 2 to vax" decision until he finally read Barbara Loe Fisher's article a while back in Mothering.
Yep, this helped here, too . Also the picture of her son looked like our DS, so it became easier since then.
#190 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla

That's so strange. My Native Forest contains, organic coconut, water & guar gum. And IIRC from this thread 6 months or so back, the level of guar gum was legal. I get mine from a buying club for $1.23/can. Now that Thai Kitchen adds soy lecitin to theirs, this is the only one I've found. Plus, its tastier than Thai Kitchen

It's funny I keep searching online to get the ingredients & I keep coming up w/the same ingredients you posted. The can is also different. The can I have looks like the Light can, but it is the full fat one. Looks like I'll have to call the company & find out if they are changing their formulations, or if this website is out of date

http://www.nextag.com/Native-Forest-...tzB10z5---html

See post 15 too. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=124579

I have the Tropical traditions concentrate too. I was trying to make milk w/it. Took like 1/2c to make 16 oz--not the 2T or whatever they stated. It is also reaslly hard & not creamy--must be too cold

This one is accurate, plus they sell it in a 3.15 quart size
http://shop.deliciousorganics.com/in...ategory_ID=211
#191 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
Me too! I'm having no luck with SCD even though I cut out honey and fruits (except avocadoes and blueberries). How much garlic are you eating?
One clove a day, chopped up fine and put into gelatin capsules.
#192 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 01:19 PM

Okay, just called Edward & Sons, the distributor of the coconut milk. The woman I spoke w/said that to her knowledge, the website was out of date and that the ingredients in the can I had in my hand were accurate and she knows of no change to the ingredients you mentioned. In fact she said that since she has been w/the company the ingredients have only been coconut, water and guar, so the website must be terribly out of date.

Whew.
#193 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 01:34 PM

AmyD I really suggest you try making the banana carrot cake (Linda's or something on one of the SCD sites) and then make a frosting with the coconut cream. I warmed it up in the toaster oven., Then whipped it with some butter, honey, and vanilla. Then spread it on the cake. It is really thick and not smooth and creamy like frosting but tastes oh so good. It will harden up a little, but not like it is in the jar. Then I sprinkle the apricots and almonds on that. This cake tastes so much like regular cake even my dad liked it and he is a major sugar guy.

And if you ever try making some SCD legal graham crackers, I bet it would go great on that. Or even the breads, but I haven't tried any of those yet. My sister-in-law also said it sucked for making milk--too gritty.
#194 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 01:52 PM

So I want to order my supplements today. I can't remember if anyone recommended a good brand of selenium or not? What kind do you all take? Also what do you take for your B vitamins?

Ok and one more Question!! JaneS DId you ever find a good natural C that was SCD legal?

I want to order the natural Calm mag, some selenium, B vitamins, and some natural C. Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks
#195 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 02:06 PM
EBG

Quote:
ebg- are the blueberries cooked? Are you cooking and deseeding everything you eat? Did you do the intro diet? Have you tried enzymes?
Kind of... I use frozen ones and warm them up on the stove, and mix it in my yogurt. I cook my veggies except tomatoes. I should probably skin them, huh? Maybe I'll go back to the intro for a few days with my daughter. I just made the chicken soup again.... However, it's kind of boring without the fruit juice and honey. (candida likes fructose, too). I started the enzymes last week and they did help with digestion but are causing a worsening of eczema. I don't do high proteases yet, wanted a broad-spectrum one first. Maybe I'll add some bromelain, it's supoosed to help with inflammation... I was very careful about choosing supplements and I'm pretty sure I don't have any suppl. with illegals in them.
Don't do nut flour/butter or legumes. So I don't know why there's no progress....... oh, maybe spices? I use sea salt, sometimes potassiom chloride, pepper, paprika, chili and cumin. Oh and lots of raw garlic and onions.
Anyway, no progress in 3 months.... my daughter is doing great although my DH and MIL feed her all kinds of junk but it's not working for me. I'm thinking the SCD is not aggressive enough for yeast.
#196 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 02:39 PM

Blueberries have tough skins. My dd just recently started digesting them instead of passing them right through. You really should try cooking them, not just heating them. You want to break down the fiber. Also the tomatos need to both be peeled and deseeded as well as cooked.

Have you though about trying the coconut oil? Also what are you doing to help with die off? The pascalite clay is really helping me (when I remember to take it ) I give dd an epsom salt bath daily. Something that will give you liver support too will help with detox. Milk thistle is a classic liver support herb. My guess about the excema getting worse is that it is die off.

Our main issue is candidia and we have seen big improvements (and major die off esp at first) on scd.

our family is <>< and :
#197 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 02:56 PM

Me again, with an update and some questions:

What I'm doing: digestive enzymes before every meal, l-glutamine & MSM powders, zinc, probiotics twice a day, CLO -- started one week ago.

Why I'm doing it: moderate (but annoying, especially after 25 years!) acne and my 9-month-old son's spitting up (which has tapered off a lot, but still seems in reaction to my eating soy/dairy)

What I've noticed: My skin doesn't seem any worse, so that's good, and I know it can take a while to clear up, so I'm giving it at least a month until I make any judgements. However, my tongue, which has always had a white coating, doesn't seem to have the coating anymore. Why would that be?

Also, my son seems a lot hungrier than usual in the past few days/nights. He's EBF, and I'm thinking of adding in some solids now that he seems hungrier. Any thoughts on that? Is it coincident with my starting this program or because of it?

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#198 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 03:18 PM

Quote:
However, my tongue, which has always had a white coating, doesn't seem to have the coating anymore. Why would that be?
In Chinese Medicine, a white coated tongue indicates excess mucous!! If its gone....GREAT! You ARE healing!
#199 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 03:21 PM

I'm really wanting to make yogurt, but I have some questions I hope someone can help me with. First of all, I know there's the oven method and the heating pad method. Are there any other methods? I don't have a yogurt maker.

I know with the oven method you generally have to use a 60 watt bulb. Everything I've read says that's a fire hazard--using a higher watt bulb than you're supposed to. Any thoughts on that? What about the heating pad in the cooler? Isn't that a safety hazard, too?

Ok, more questions...do you put a top on the container when making yogurt? And when checking the temperature, do you check the actual yogurt or just the oven/cooler? It just seems like it would be hard to keep a stable temperature if I'm opening the oven, taking of the lid of the yogurt, and waiting for my thermometer to read the temp.

Thanks.
#200 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:

There are a couple of brands listed in EFLF that are in Asian grocery stores with no additives, but they do have preservatives.
#201 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine
Add some frozen berries (I did raspberries yesterday) and it is super yum.
Oooooo... good idea. I also make one with coconut oil and fresh lemon juice, that would be awesome with raspberries!
#202 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 03:51 PM
EBG

Quote:
Blueberries have tough skins. My dd just recently started digesting them instead of passing them right through. You really should try cooking them, not just heating them. You want to break down the fiber. Also the tomatos need to both be peeled and deseeded as well as cooked.

Have you though about trying the coconut oil? Also what are you doing to help with die off? The pascalite clay is really helping me (when I remember to take it ) I give dd an epsom salt bath daily. Something that will give you liver support too will help with detox. Milk thistle is a classic liver support herb. My guess about the excema getting worse is that it is die off.

Our main issue is candidia and we have seen big improvements (and major die off esp at first) on scd.
Actually I've been off blueberries for about 3 weeks, I just had a little today. I do take coconut oil and also apply it to my skin. This is the most bearable form of topical treatment. I'm taking vitamin C with Quercetin for the histamine reaction. What is pascalite clay, where do you get it? is it mentioned on the WAPF or the enzymestuff website, I remember reading about it somewhere?
I will definitely try the epsom salts. I think milk thistle is illegal. It's been worse since I addeed enzymes but I also had some ezekiel bread, it turns out it has soy!: So I don't know if it's die-off from the enzymes or candida loves soy and grains. But before I started the enzymes I was plateauing for like 2 months.
So you saw improvements even with all the juice and honey? I thought they all feed candida...I'm happy for you and hope I'll get rid of it, too.
I just made the avocado pudding. Hope the almond butter and honey won't make things worse...
#203 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 03:55 PM
EBG

JaneS,

How long did it take you guys to get rid of the eczema problem, did you follow only SCD? What enzymes helped the most?
I'm tired of only getting die-off and no improvement... (3 months SCD, 5 months low-carb)
#204 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
Actually I've been off blueberries for about 3 weeks, I just had a little today. I do take coconut oil and also apply it to my skin. This is the most bearable form of topical treatment. I'm taking vitamin C with Quercetin for the histamine reaction. What is pascalite clay, where do you get it? is it mentioned on the WAPF or the enzymestuff website, I remember reading about it somewhere?
I will definitely try the epsom salts. I think milk thistle is illegal. It's been worse since I addeed enzymes but I also had some ezekiel bread, it turns out it has soy!: So I don't know if it's die-off from the enzymes or candida loves soy and grains. But before I started the enzymes I was plateauing for like 2 months.
So you saw improvements even with all the juice and honey? I thought they all feed candida...I'm happy for you and hope I'll get rid of it, too.
I just made the avocado pudding. Hope the almond butter and honey won't make things worse...
I'm not sure who here first mentioned the Pascalite. Google it to find where ti buy it. The stuff is awesome!
If milk thistle is illegal I'm getting some illegals then. I'm on something to support my liver and another suppliment to support my gal bladder. My chiro, who is familiar with scd, put me on them to help me detox. They sure helped me cope with die off.
You do realize that ezekiel bread is illegal right?
I try to take it easy on the juice and honey but I also need to make stuff I can stand to eat (and can get into my dd). Her bottom had a constant yeast diaper rash for a year before starting scd. It has been clear for about a month now I would guess (10 weeks on scd I think).
Now that I have started the coconut oil I'm constipated again. I'm sure it is die off again. I have used coconut oil and honey to wash my face for about a year. I have the best looking skin of my life right now although I currently have a ton of clogged pores. I think that is another detox thing for me though. I'm really excited about co and the possibilities.

our family is <>< and :
#205 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticat
So I want to order my supplements today. I can't remember if anyone recommended a good brand of selenium or not? What kind do you all take? Also what do you take for your B vitamins?

Ok and one more Question!! JaneS DId you ever find a good natural C that was SCD legal?

I want to order the natural Calm mag, some selenium, B vitamins, and some natural C. Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks
Yes, Amla C, which also has plant tannins I was happy to see. They are one of the things the nasty bacteria that showed up on DS's stool test is sensitive to:
http://www.papanature.com/store/Prod...&pid=PAR-77745

However, check on the tannins. Some people might be sensitive to them. There is also Himalya Amla which I don't know anything about but I do believe there are no fillers added.
http://www.papanature.com/store/Prod...&pid=HIM-40201

I've never found an additive free acerola powder.

Selenium http://www.papanature.com/store/Prod...&pid=SNS-00923
V. imp. to get the selenomethionine one that is yeast free.

I don't use B's. I wonder if Amanda does, she would have a good rec. There is a better kind of B12 but I forget what it is.

You have CLO of course?

I think I might order desiccated liver tablets. Carlson's or Solgar is recommended in EFLF.
#206 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
JaneS,

How long did it take you guys to get rid of the eczema problem, did you follow only SCD? What enzymes helped the most?
I'm tired of only getting die-off and no improvement... (3 months SCD, 5 months low-carb)
Cod liver oil, flax and then evening primrose oil, quercitin and an Elmination Diet before SCD.

I think the type of fats you eat are crucial, have you seen The Eczema Tribe thread?
#207 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
Anyway, no progress in 3 months.... my daughter is doing great although my DH and MIL feed her all kinds of junk but it's not working for me. I'm thinking the SCD is not aggressive enough for yeast.
Work up on the enzymes and start taking them in between meals.

Revisit the nutrition needed for healing the gut on Cheat Sheet.

I just came across again that vitamin A is essential for the integrity of the epithelial structures of the body (skin and gut lining). Could be something like this too. If you are A deficient just a couple thousand IU is not going to rebuild your stores, go for a couple T. of high vitamin CLO.

Or it could be bacterial like my DS. He's had not much progress on the whole since last Sept. In that case, try a stool test to see exactly what you have and consider herbs or similar type of "killer" treatment.
#208 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 04:27 PM

Also, consider that SCD is not working and try something else like EFLF plan with coconut oil. Or Jordan Rubin's Maker's Diet with HSOs. Or kefir and kombucha and lacto fermented veggies (also on EFLF).

Believe me I know how frustrating it is! At least you can do more than a child can.
#209 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 04:53 PM

Hmm. They are out but I can get it at vitacost.com. But they don't have the slelnium. So what about this selenium?

http://www.vitacost.com/NSISelenium/cas-1
#210 of 1002 Old 05-05-2006, 05:01 PM
EBG

Thank you guys....

As for the types of fat, I've been using only butter, coconut oil and some EVOO, no omega 6 oils since December when I went on an LC diet. Then I found SCD in January. Some bad oils are legal, I wonder why... I'm also taking 2 tablespoons of Carlsons CLO, the high vitamin ones don't have enough EFA-s for the price. I did the EPO for about a week but my babe got hives from it. At least I think that was the problem because that was the only thing I added that week and when I stopped, her bumps went away, too. Has anyone had reactions to Evening primrose oil?
I also tried, months ago, the flax/borage combo, which gave ME full body hives. I guess I can't convert the ALA? So I'm only taking CLO for now...

I'll try the enzymes in between-meals. Can I take the same broad spec or should I get the special ones like Candidase?

I'm pretty sure it's Candida as I have other symtoms too embarrassing to discuss

OK, so it looks like I have to be stricter, no sprouted bread (I know it's illegal on SCD but I'm new to NT and just had to have some
and go back to the basics. Plus I'll try the pascalite clay, epsom salts and enzymes...

Baby steps...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page