Strep throat-do I have to take antibiotics? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-07-2006, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I suspect that I have strep throat but it runs in my mind that I can treat it safely at home. I'm 5 weeks pregnant and really don't want to go and get antibiotics.

I've been gargeling with salt water and sucking on throat losenges and staying hydrated. Is there anything else? Do you suggest I go to the doctor? It has only been 2-3 days since it started.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

#2 of 10 Old 05-07-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Danielle~*
I suspect that I have strep throat but it runs in my mind that I can treat it safely at home. I'm 5 weeks pregnant and really don't want to go and get antibiotics.

I've been gargeling with salt water and sucking on throat losenges and staying hydrated. Is there anything else? Do you suggest I go to the doctor? It has only been 2-3 days since it started.
... Careful with the Standard Name Brand Lozenges, Those can cause More problems.
Take: Garlic, Echinacea/Propolis Throat spray. Lots of Vitamin C and Hydrate!
No You do not need Synthetic Antibiotics!
Peace~*
#3 of 10 Old 05-07-2006, 05:06 PM

Look, I am not really up on natural and holistic healing -- so I would never presume to know whether there is an alternative remedy that might help. And I am someone who is very slow to go to the doc and usually let things run their course -- especially if it seems to be a viral infection [since antibiotics are useless against viruses].

BUT - strep can be a very nasty and persistant bacteria. And it can thrive in many places in the body. I have always sought medical treatment for strep infections in myself and my children. There are certain infections that antibiotics is really the appropriate response to and I believe that strep is one of them.

I just did a brief google on natural remedies for strep and found this article in a 1998 issue of Vegeterian Times that had this quote in it:
"If you are diagnosed with strep, antibiotics are the first line of defense--in this case, even holistic health workers prefer drugs to herbal remedies. "Echinacea and goldenseal are good immune system stimulants, but we don't know for sure if they prevent rheumatic heart disease," says Boren. "We've done studies over 20 years that show anti-streptococcus antibiotics prevent the development of rheumatic heart disease. With something like strep, where you know the potential consequence is open heart surgery 20 years down the road, antibiotics have potential for benefit and little potential for harm." Just my .02
#4 of 10 Old 05-07-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibex67
There are certain infections that antibiotics is really the appropriate response to and I believe that strep is one of them.
Just my .02
.... Let's not get paraniod!
... i've had great success in using this combo as well as others i have passed it on to &
Garlic is a Natural AntiBiotc
#5 of 10 Old 05-08-2006, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace~*
.... Let's not get paraniod!
... i've had great success in using this combo as well as others i have passed it on to &
Garlic is a Natural AntiBiotc
paranoid is one thing. The chance secondary cardiac damage is another. I take this pretty personally. My heart is forever damaged from strep. Be careful with it. OP, get a culture done so at least you KNOW if it is strep or not, then you can make an informed decision. Cardiomyopathy plus pregnancy SUCKS. call me paranoid I guess, but I have been there. Strep is the only "everyday" type illness I really suggest ppl think about using atbx for.
#6 of 10 Old 05-08-2006, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dove
....get a culture done so at least you KNOW if it is strep or not, then you can make an informed decision...

A Great Place to Start!

Peace~*
#7 of 10 Old 05-24-2006, 02:04 PM

I never had synthetic antibiotics for strep as a child. But I wonder if strep has changed in the past 3 decades. It's going around right now and I do not want to resort to synthetic antibiotics, but I do wonder if it's more virulent nowadays?

I'd be interested in hearing more from those who don't use synthetic antibiotics than those who do.

There are natural antibiotics and am wondering if anyone has used colloidal silver for strep?
#8 of 10 Old 05-24-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyWild
There are natural antibiotics and am wondering if anyone has used colloidal silver for strep?

Yes this is a wonderful remedy and not majorly hard opn the body. Very mild in taste also, so children can easily take it.

Peace~*
#9 of 10 Old 05-26-2006, 04:53 PM

Strep is a bacteria and bacteria are constanly changing to become more resistant to antibiotics- therefore more virulent. This is because for a long time antibiotics were overprescribed and also the people who were prescribed antibiotics DID NOT take them as they were prescribed. So yes, get a culture for starters and if given a prescription take it ALL.
Best wishes.
#10 of 10 Old 06-12-2006, 05:20 PM

I'm bumping this, because I just found out that I have strep (had the culture done...dr. was surprised that it WAS strep since they do hundreds of cultures a year and have 5-6 come back positive).

I don't take antibiotics for every little thing, but my philosophy is to blend Western and alternative medicine. So, I'm going to take the antibiotics.

Here's my q: my doc told me to call my ped and tell him I have it, because she said I don't want to end up in the ER in the middle of the night with a screaming babe. So, what I want to know is how dangerous is this for a babe? Would I just "end up in the ER" b/c he was yelling and upset and I would, presumably, freak out or is there an actual danger? I don't want to take ds to the doc and waste time and have him prescribe antibiotics that I won't give ds unless he had a pos culture for strep.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page