Fluid in ears for 1 year old son - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-09-2006, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
My son started going to day care two months back. and he had 3 ear infcetions and three rounds of antibiotics. Yesteday he had his followup appointment and his ped told us that infection is cleared up but uninfected fluid is still there and there is risk of getting infection if he gets cold before fluid clears up. I read about the garlic and mullein oil drops for EI in this site.
Is there anything I can do to prevent another infection?

Any advices on this?. How can i use the oil drops?. Should I use them only if infection is there or otherwise also can I use them? And dosage for 1 year old?

Sorry for too many questions.

Thanks
May11Mom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-09-2006, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From what I've read, the best way to avoid future infections is to avoid antibiotics. I don't have all the information to pass along on that, but about the fluid in the ears: It's normal to have that fluid up to 12 weeks after an ear infection, but usually it clears up in 2 weeks. Warm oil is good for this because it helps open the eustachian tube to allow it to drain. Also, light massaging below the ear along where the canal can help. Some have said ear candling helps. My chiropractor said an adjustment and/or sweep of the finger at the back of the throat where the tube comes out can sometimes help.

The main thing, though, is it takes some time because the Eustachian tube is mostly collapsed closed and opens mostly when we swallow, and then just a tiny bit for a second or so. Draining can take a while.
#3 of 3 Old 05-09-2006, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I second the chiropractor. We just spent the morning at the doctors for ear pain in my 5 mo son. He's not infected yet but the ear is definitely not normal - red & painful. The chiropractor we were to see is not available. I'm a little panicy because I really would like to avoid an actual infection and definitely antibiotics.

We did repeated ear infections with my first when she was in daycare for about 6 months. I think they are almost unavoidable in those situations. Lots of hand washing to avoid illness was the most prominent advice I received. Hopefully others will be able to give us additional ideas!

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page