Jaw pain, TMJ, new fillings and stress... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-01-2003, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think I have seen a thread about this before.....

I have developed pain in one side of my jaw over the last week. I do have TMJ, but it has not troubled me in 20 years or so. It hurts now when I bite down, when I close my teeth together, it hurts in the joint itself (the joint that does NOT click).

I also recently (january) had a molar (on the side that now hurts) undergo major filling recunstruction and it did somewhat alter my bite. I am just wondering if such a thing could account for the pain I am having now... wondering if it's dental related.

I have also been under a lot of stress and tend to clench my teeth in my sleep.. could this contribute to TMJ/jaw pain ?

Thanks, I really appreciate any info/opinions/ideas.
#2 of 8 Old 03-04-2003, 06:13 PM

What does TMJ mean?

Years ago, when I did the types of drugs that make you dance and clench your teeth all night , I often had jaw pain. So it could be from that, I guess.

Otherwise, I wouldn't know... Sorry
#3 of 8 Old 03-05-2003, 04:14 AM

TMJ is temporomandibular joint... here's a website that explains it a bit:
http://www.tmj.org/basics.asp

Took me awhile to find one not written in total medical-ese.

From how *I* understand it, the muscle that should ride smoothly over the ball and socket joint in your jaw rides forward too far, past the ball, and *pops* back in place.

I've got TMJ too. Both sides pretty bad (lots of popping and pain if I'm not careful)... I had a big flare up when I had **FOUR** root canals done at once The new crowns changed my bite, and now the pain has settled down to its pre dental-work days... but it did make my right side start popping when previously it was only my left.

I have NO idea how to treat it. No insurance carriers seem to help with TMJ. I was looking into a lot of carriers for my own dental and medical coverage awhile ago, and I couldn't find ANY that didn't exclude TMJ.

I just wanted to let you know that it has gotten better. Took a few months but the pain did decrease. I hope the thought that hopefully your flare up will go back down will be helpful for you.

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#4 of 8 Old 03-05-2003, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

From what I've read the best you can do with TMJ is baby it and hope it goes away. And it usually does, and many people have it (clicking jaw).

My current flare up comes and goes, but reading about it has helped me understand that if it is just the TMJ there is not much to do and it will probably resolve itself. But I wondered if it were caused by the dental work and if I should try to go back to the dentist to adjust my bite.

I had the dental work then like 6 weeks later over a period of a week the jaw pain developed. Unrelated ? Can dental work cause tmj by changing your bite ? I am especially suspicious cause the last dentist who worked on me wasn't that great IMO. He was not my type of guy, would be a nice way to put it. anyways...

thanks for your responses
#5 of 8 Old 03-05-2003, 06:35 PM

Well I know I got tmj from dental work. Specifically having TWENTY teeth pulled (mostly baby teeth, they weren't falling out quick enough for them... was done in two sessions... a year or so apart?) and getting braces. My jaw was fine before that. I really think the dentist and orthadontist rushed way too quickly on everything, they were yanking teeth out when I was 8 or so... the couple of teeth where the adult ones popped out over them, yeah those made sence to pull... but not all my molars that the adult teeth weren't coming in yet...

Ok sorry didn't mean to go off topic there But yes I totally think its can be caused by dental work.

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#6 of 8 Old 03-06-2003, 01:24 AM

#7 of 8 Old 03-06-2003, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

:LOL well demmit I DO have TMJ right ?

I knew this about it really being TMD but I just can't help it, too ingrained. Plus if I say TMD no one knows what I am talking about but they do if I say TMJ.

Thank you so much for your help ! I am calling today to get in, hopefully in the next few days. and really hopefully with a different dentist (it is a group and you get whoever is available). It would be so nice if a simple readjustment could fix this, I have been in pain
#8 of 8 Old 03-10-2003, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Hey everyone thanks again for your input, especially you Smilemomma. I finally got in to the dentist today after much red tape. My insurance no longer covers dental, but since this was from a previous visit which WAS covered they eventually agreed... it was quite difficult and if I hadn't been armed with the knowledge that this could indeed be the problem I may have given up.

The dentist said yup the teeth weren't hitting right and adjusted it several times till it was right. I am hoping this does the trick. yay yay yay !!!!

Thanks again SSSSOOOOOOOO much. Once again you (all of you) have saved my dental butt Thanks

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page