what do you do for severe period cramps? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-15-2006, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you do for period cramps? Mine have been awful for 2-3 days each month. They've been worse and worse since I got off bc pills 2 years ago. I don't want to get back on the pill but don't want to be totally debilitated either during my period. Would love to hear about any tried and tested natural remedies, magnets etc. My cramps are generally much more severe than most people's.
#2 of 12 Old 05-15-2006, 05:57 PM

If you're using tampons, I'd quit that and try a cup or pads. My cramps all but disappeared when I stopped using tampons.
#3 of 12 Old 05-15-2006, 06:13 PM

I have horrible cramps from endometriosis. First lots of hotb aths, kinda numbs the pain. Tylenol 3 with codein, if its that severe. I have had to take this occasionally not every month, just when I could barely walk. Thos therma care heat pads work great too. Use pads. Sit as much as possible. And remember it will pass.
#4 of 12 Old 05-15-2006, 06:43 PM

If you're pretty regular and don't have any allergies/sensitivities to anti-inflammatory meds, you could try taking 200-400 mg of ibuprofen every 6-8 hours for a couple of days before your period starts, then for the first couple of days of bleeding. This will inhibit the production of prostaglandins, which cause much of the pain associated with the cramping. Good luck - I know how painful that can be!
#5 of 12 Old 05-15-2006, 06:47 PM

I stopped eating as much soy as I was previously consuming and it made a lot of difference.
#6 of 12 Old 05-15-2006, 06:53 PM

Red raspberry tea or extract really helps me, not only during your period but all month long. It's just a super tonic for all of those parts involved
#7 of 12 Old 05-15-2006, 08:29 PM

Strawberry tea also works well.
#8 of 12 Old 05-15-2006, 08:33 PM

Magnesium helps muscles relax.
#9 of 12 Old 05-15-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinzoo
Magnesium helps muscles relax.
I was going to say magnesium too. The other thing is, are you bleeding more heavily than you used to? Your hormones might be slightly out of balance, in which case you could try vitex/chasteberry. I took it after coming off bc pills and it evened everything out.
#10 of 12 Old 05-16-2006, 12:15 PM

For me nothing has really eliminated the painful cramps, but the following has helped.
Heating pads/hotbaths, a calcium and magnesium supplement, cutting out caffiene, sugar and salty foods. I also try to use pads whenever possible, to let the blood flow out naturally.
The ibuprofen works well too, but it's best to start taking it right before the cramps arrive, to inhibit the prostaglandins. Once they're there, it isn't as effective. I am allergic to it so I use tylenol sparingly. A cocktail or glass of wine before bed and a hot bath is just as effective.
#11 of 12 Old 05-16-2006, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I will try the red raspberry leaf tea and look into magnesium. I don't use tampons, only cloth pads, which are really comfy but don't seem to help much with the pain. I have prescription pain killers but don't want to get too used to them.
Heating pads do help when I'm at home but I can't really use them to school when I take classes or teach.

I've heard about a British magnetic pain reliever that seems to have received good press reviews. its a bit pricey – $44, but maybe I'll try it.

http://www.ladycarehealth.com/
#12 of 12 Old 05-16-2006, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Oh and I don't drink caffeine either and don't eat refined sugars except during holidays at other people's homes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page