Cytotec vs. Pitocin?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2006, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We found out about two weeks ago that our baby, (I am pregnant) has anencephaly and we have had hard weeks to make the right decision and we have decided to induce our baby, Elijah this week. Does anyone have any suggestions, or know of any procedures I should avoid or anything else I should keep in mind? I know a lot of this hospital visit/procedure will be very medical and I am trying to see if there is anything I should be aware of or any other healthier options out there that I should be aware of.

I have heard lots of negative vibes for Cytotec, but then what am I supposed to do to induce? What are the side effects of Pitocin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2006, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Also, I Just found out about Cervadil, any thoughts on that one?
Old 05-15-2006, 11:01 PM

I was induced with my 1st son with cervadil at almost 42 weeks. They put the cervadil in at about 10:30 am...I started having contractions right away but were not really painfull and not very regular. That kept up until 7 pm. At 7 the nurse checked me and I was still 1 cm dilated. I got up and went for a walk, and the pain hit me like a ton of bricks. I couldnt stand, could barely breathe. Nurse checked me at 7:20 and I was 9 cm's dilated. The nurse tried to get the cervadil out and she couldn't so it was in until my son was born at 9:20 that evening.

Are you dilated at all because with cervadil you need to be dilated a little bit so they can put it in the cervix.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Well I talked to the doctor, they don't have Cervadil!!!!!! This is what our conversation was:

So I explained to my doctor the concerns I have about Cyotec and she said, yes, I admit it is not approved by FDA for inducing labor but it is approved for patients with ulcers and it is because they don't have enough lobbyist to push it through to make it FDA approved. I was like okay, then can I take Cervadil which I reserached that can do the same thing.She said that Cervadil can do the same thing like Cytotec does, but it does not make your uterus contract to have contractions. And that Cytotec is used in the hospital all the time and they cut back on the dosages so that it never leads to your uterus rupturing. They have never had this happening because they monitor it very carefully. Plus she said that the hospital does not carry Cervadil!!!! Augh! So I am just praying that God will allow me to contract like after the first 3 dosages of that med. Because they said it can take up to 10 dosages given every 3 hours to make your contractions come! And she said Pitocin can be used later after my uterus is ripe with the dosages of Cyotec.

Now what? I go in tomrorow night at 8pm (May 17th)
Old 05-16-2006, 11:59 PM

I can't answer your question, but just wanted to say I'm so sorry.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:22 AM

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Despite the circumstances I would never, ever, ever use Cytotec to induce labor. What your doctor did not to tell you is that Cytotec carries a specific warning against using it to induce labor.

Quote:
Cytotec may cause the uterus to rupture during pregnancy if it is used to bring on labor." The insert goes on to say that uterine rupture may lead to "severe bleeding, hospitalization, surgery, infertility, or death.
http://www.mothering.com/articles/pr.../cytotech.html

The FDA has also issued an alert against using Cytotec to induce labor:
http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopag...ol/default.htm

It's not just the crunchies that are warning against the risks of using Cytotec, the mainstream media has deen doing so for years:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in658388.shtml
http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...3324-4991r.htm
http://cbs4boston.com/iteam/local_story_190190152.html

I cannot even begin to imagine what this has been like for you but if your current provider is not willing to offer you a safer method of induction which is more likely to preserve your uterus and future chances of carrying a baby I would be on the phone first thing in the morning to find a new provider. I am not exactly sure how these things work but I do not think that it would be very difficult to order some cervadil.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishy

I cannot even begin to imagine what this has been like for you but if your current provider is not willing to offer you a safer method of induction which is more likely to preserve your uterus and future chances of carrying a baby I would be on the phone first thing in the morning to find a new provider. I am not exactly sure how these things work but I do not think that it would be very difficult to order some cervadil.
Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Elijah. My heart goes out to you.

And I wanted to second the above. I would never in a million years go near Cytotec.

I wish a very gentle birth for both of you,
Amy
Old 05-17-2006, 04:14 PM

Old 05-18-2006, 10:55 PM

Cytotec is BAD BAD BAD life threatening dangerous drug being used improperly using woman and thier babes as guienni pigs (sorry I spelled that wrong) I have heard horrible heart wrenching stories and signed many petitions to make this use of this drug illegal. Pitocin or Cervidal are both much better choices.

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

Old 05-19-2006, 10:32 PM

Jesus, one would think a hopsital could order any medication!

I would not do it, in addition to the fact that your experience will be very hard on you anyway you'll have the valid fear or your uterus rupturing. I am so sorry

User Tag List