Bad Bad Bad Pms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-04-2003, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's really bad. I've never really experienced anything like this before. It starts about seven days before my period. It's like a switch that flips and I feel half insane with anger. I'm literally seething for a good week or so. The only time my DH and I fight is during this week. Then just as my period starts the feelings shift to sadness. I spend a good ten days each month feeling anxious, angry, sad, puffy and tired. I even actually contemplated wasting $10 to go to the Dr. before I realized she's probably just going to recommend Zoloft, or some other such toxic "remedy". I'm desperatley hoping that someone here will know of something natural, supplements or something that i can take and that are safe while nursing (another reason I dont want to go to the Dr. She always acts like I should stop BFing and just gobble up whatever drug she sees fit). Any ideas? I'm desperate!
#2 of 8 Old 03-04-2003, 09:32 PM

Supplement with B vitamins, Evening primrose oil (or flaxseed oil) and extra folic acid. I find if I don't supplement I suffer with cramps, anger and all the rest. If I do it's clear sailing, I don't even crave chocolate. Your milage may vary though, everyone has their individual nutritional weaknesses.
#3 of 8 Old 03-05-2003, 02:37 AM

Evening primrose oil is amazingly effective for cramps especially. When I use it regularly (you need to get it going in your system for about a month before it starts working, or at least I did, but thereafter just start taking it about a week before your period) I don't even notice my period is coming. And I normally would get really bad cramps without it. I've even been fooled into thinking I was pregnant because I didn't feel my period coming on at all! Good luck.
#4 of 8 Old 03-05-2003, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both so much for the replys! I've been planning on taking a trip to the health food store for a while now so I'll add these supplements to my list. Thanks again!
#5 of 8 Old 03-05-2003, 06:30 PM

Of course homeopathy is very helpful with this

YOu can see if any of these fit and try, but may need a homeopath to help sort this out

http://www.fredmeyer.com/HN_Homeo/Me...roblems_hm.htm

good luck
#6 of 8 Old 03-05-2003, 08:15 PM

I drink red-raspberry leaf tea. It strenthen the femal system. I don't have pms...
#7 of 8 Old 03-06-2003, 01:52 PM

I also would recommend the Red Raspberry. I take the Red Raspberry Leaf in capsule form. I originally took it to lesson my period since I have really heavy periods. Not only has it made my period much lighter and sometimes two days shorter, but I've noticed my cramps have gone away and my mood is a lot better. I usually don't even know AF is coming!

By the way, for me, it took a few months to notice any changes. I almost gave up but stuck with it. It takes a while for these herbs to get in and start doing some real healing.
#8 of 8 Old 03-06-2003, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
It's also important to get enough calcium and enough water.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page