Healing the Gut Tribe - June!!! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#421 of 770 Old 06-16-2006, 07:19 PM
 
Pattyla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So apparently cranberry is good for your liver. I'm drinking all my water with cranberry juice (the good stuff) in it. (4 oz juice 28 oz water) I'm peeing a ton more w/o really significantly increasing my fluid intake so I hope that means I'm doing something. I think my joint swelling is somewhat better than it was. Time will tell. It is super hot here today so that contributes.

Nathan- I'm not sure what to tell you but : I hope you get some answers soon.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Pattyla is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#422 of 770 Old 06-16-2006, 08:20 PM
 
Kundalini-Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LOVING LIFE and oh, so thankful!!!
Posts: 2,723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is so good to know about the cranberry juice--I'll pick some up. I have a feeling that my liver is in need of some kind of clense.

I hope you get answers too Nathan.
Kundalini-Mama is offline  
#423 of 770 Old 06-16-2006, 08:21 PM
 
Kundalini-Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LOVING LIFE and oh, so thankful!!!
Posts: 2,723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Jane, about the NAET treatments. That really cracked me up. I don't know a lot about it but have a friend who brought her son and has many success stories to tell.

I know what you mean about trying anything. I just tried CST w/dd on MOnday and the lady is coming back again this MOnday. She's a lymph specialist. I will ask her if she thinks CST could help your ds and get her opinon on it. She trained at the Upledger institute & really seems to know her stuff and came highly recommended. (I had her come for dd mainly for her sleep issues.) CST has been known to help TONS of things.

AND . . . guess what??? DD took a 2 hour nap on TUesday and slept for 4 and a half hours straight last night.

Did everybody hear me!!!????? This is unheard of. DD has only two or three times in her life taken that long of a nap and has only slept that long at night maybe five times.
Annikate!!!

That is so wonderful! And has prompted me to call my CST to take my lil' guy back....hmmmm....maybe I'll take my 4yr old too. Its quite affordable, a lot less than I thought it would be ($10/visit for the lil' guys).
Kundalini-Mama is offline  
#424 of 770 Old 06-16-2006, 08:30 PM
 
Annikate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 4,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
Annikate!!!

That is so wonderful! And has prompted me to call my CST to take my lil' guy back....hmmmm....maybe I'll take my 4yr old too. Its quite affordable, a lot less than I thought it would be ($10/visit for the lil' guys).

I paid $65 but she came to the house. Would've been $40 for office visit (an hour away.) I figured I'd pay about 20 bucks in gas anyway.

I'm sold on CST & am going to have her see dd1 - - maybe it'll help her bouts of constipation.
Annikate is offline  
#425 of 770 Old 06-16-2006, 09:33 PM
 
chlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got my digestive enzyme book so I haven't read it. Just so I know what i'm headed for are there different enzymes for different foods. For example, DD doesn't seem to digest most foods fully (always some in her poop). Will she need multiple enzymes or is there one "general" enzyme?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
chlobo is offline  
#426 of 770 Old 06-16-2006, 11:26 PM
 
Annikate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 4,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jane, Gale Force and firefaery:

(And anyone else who has had success healing so far . . .)

I'm at the point where I'm thinking, *how* healed do I have to be? I am really really getting tired of eating the same things over and over. I have been little by little incorporating some *illegals* into my diet and so far the only think I can say that's causing me problems is my mag citrate. (But I don't want to give that up.)

I really am amazed that I'm at this point already after only 4 1/2 months. I am anxious to try out some brown rice (brown rice pasta specifically) and other non-gluten grains. BUT . . . I also don't want to un-do all the healing that's taken place yk?

I'm really curious to know: How did you mamas do it? How did you know you were ready? Did you introduce illegals slowly and watch for reactions? What do you eat first?

BTW, I gave dd some buckwheat last night. I soaked it in yogurt first and then cooked it and added butter. She loved it!
Annikate is offline  
#427 of 770 Old 06-16-2006, 11:29 PM
 
Annikate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 4,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo
I just got my digestive enzyme book so I haven't read it. Just so I know what i'm headed for are there different enzymes for different foods. For example, DD doesn't seem to digest most foods fully (always some in her poop). Will she need multiple enzymes or is there one "general" enzyme?
chlobo, I think on the cheat sheet sticky at the top of H&H Jane addresses this more in depth.
Short answer: yes, there are different enzymes that target different things. I'd start w/an overall enzyme like Houston's Zyme Prime.
There's a ton of information here.
Annikate is offline  
#428 of 770 Old 06-17-2006, 12:21 AM
 
Chinese Pistache's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Under a shady tree, you and me
Posts: 5,854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nak

please tell me this is normal! please??

We are on day 9 of an elimination diet (wheat, dairy, soy), but for the past 3 days have been doing SCD also. For the past 2 days, we've been doing probiotics, as well as the enzymes, and CLO. I'll start the Candex (?) enzyme tonight.

DD's eczema (underarms, behind knees) seems to be better--a little drier, less weepy. I did notice a few yeasty bumps under one arm, though, which haven't been there for a couple weeks. The yeast bumps on her diaper area are much better though.

She also has this rough rash all over her body. It seems kind of like eczema, but it began when we went swimming 3 days ago and I assumed it was from the sun and chlorine. The worst of it is on one cheek, and it looks the most like eczema. I've been rubbing EPO on it and it seems to soothe it.

She's developed dark circles under her eyes (not black-eye dark, but more apparent than I've ever noticed). Behavior-wise, she is her usual happy self. Oh, and her poop today smelled like yogurt, but wasn't really firm (toothpaste consistency and dark green).

Is this all normal? Is the "worse before it gets better" part? I feel so lost, and I'm so sad for dd that she has this problem.

Any words of wisdom?
Chinese Pistache is offline  
#429 of 770 Old 06-17-2006, 05:29 AM
 
cobluegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: New Castle, Colorado
Posts: 3,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know but wonder if she is detoxing...poor little thing (((HUGS))) poor mama too.
cobluegirl is offline  
#430 of 770 Old 06-17-2006, 11:08 AM
 
Spencersmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chinese Pistache

I am very new to this whole SCD thing myself but it sounds to me like you have done a lot of things all at once, the diet itself, probiotics, and enzymes. Some advice that I got while researching this diet was that I should start slow - that means do the intro diet and get into that, then add a small amount of probiotics (for me and ds, yogurt) and then in a month or so, add the enzymes. I think the intention is two-fold. One, you want to ease your body into it and not cause too much die off too quickly. Two, if you add a lot of things at once, you are not sure which of things might be causing your problems.

It does sound to me like your dd is detoxing. I am on day 5 and I definitely feel worse than when I started, bms are not normal for me and I just added yogurt this morning, still no enzymes. And, ds? . His behavior is all over the place. And whiney? Phew!

Maybe you could ease off on something, like stop the enzymes for now, decrease the probiotic... whatever you feel comfortable doing. Then reintroduce these things more slowly, or give your gut a little time to heal before adding one or the other back in.

This is a hard road. I keep reminding myself that I feel so bad because the diet is working! I imagine those bad little bugs screaming NOOOOO and that helps a little.
Spencersmom is offline  
#431 of 770 Old 06-17-2006, 11:38 AM
 
caedmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache
nak

please tell me this is normal! please??

We are on day 9 of an elimination diet (wheat, dairy, soy), but for the past 3 days have been doing SCD also. For the past 2 days, we've been doing probiotics, as well as the enzymes, and CLO. I'll start the Candex (?) enzyme tonight.

DD's eczema (underarms, behind knees) seems to be better--a little drier, less weepy. I did notice a few yeasty bumps under one arm, though, which haven't been there for a couple weeks. The yeast bumps on her diaper area are much better though.

She also has this rough rash all over her body. It seems kind of like eczema, but it began when we went swimming 3 days ago and I assumed it was from the sun and chlorine. The worst of it is on one cheek, and it looks the most like eczema. I've been rubbing EPO on it and it seems to soothe it.

She's developed dark circles under her eyes (not black-eye dark, but more apparent than I've ever noticed). Behavior-wise, she is her usual happy self. Oh, and her poop today smelled like yogurt, but wasn't really firm (toothpaste consistency and dark green).

Is this all normal? Is the "worse before it gets better" part? I feel so lost, and I'm so sad for dd that she has this problem.

Any words of wisdom?
Yes, definitely go slowly. I've found that my DD reacts to new things far more than I do. I had to stop all supplements after starting the diet and add things back in one at a time, and add the enzymes very very slowly (it took me a week to get up to 1/4 capsule per meal/snack, and two more weeks to get up to a full capsule per meal/snack).

You might want to stay away from chlorinated swimming pools--a couple of people here have had problems after their kids have been swimming. Apparently chlorine is very hard on damaged guts.
caedmyn is offline  
#432 of 770 Old 06-17-2006, 11:52 AM
 
caedmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Don't waste your $ right now because b'feeding skews the results & they won't be accurate. Andy Cutler's recommendation is to wait and use hair that is grown for "several months" after weaning has taken place. I've been over this for almost a year until I finally decided to email hin & ask him personally.
That makes no sense to me. I can see how maybe continuing to BF would increase the levels of mercury or stopping might decrease them, but I don't see how it wouldn't show DD's current levels of mercury. Am I missing something?
caedmyn is offline  
#433 of 770 Old 06-17-2006, 11:59 AM
 
Annikate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 4,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
He did say that dd's results would be more accurate than mine. It's totally frustrating & I found him to be quite vague about the whole thing. Plus, I'm a little : that I spent another $25 or $30 on another one of his books which supposedly had info re. this.
Annikate is offline  
#434 of 770 Old 06-17-2006, 12:04 PM
 
~Shanna~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Stumbling from knowing to doing
Posts: 2,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Jane, Gale Force and firefaery:

(And anyone else who has had success healing so far . . .)

I'm at the point where I'm thinking, *how* healed do I have to be? I am really really getting tired of eating the same things over and over. I have been little by little incorporating some *illegals* into my diet and so far the only think I can say that's causing me problems is my mag citrate. (But I don't want to give that up.)

I really am amazed that I'm at this point already after only 4 1/2 months. I am anxious to try out some brown rice (brown rice pasta specifically) and other non-gluten grains. BUT . . . I also don't want to un-do all the healing that's taken place yk?

I'm really curious to know: How did you mamas do it? How did you know you were ready? Did you introduce illegals slowly and watch for reactions? What do you eat first?

BTW, I gave dd some buckwheat last night. I soaked it in yogurt first and then cooked it and added butter. She loved it!
I've had some healing success, but I've only been doing this for going on 6 weeks. But I did want to chime in that, when I dream about starting to intro illegal foods <sigh!>, I think it's important to stick with the stuff that is most easily properly-prepared. Any kind of pasta is likely not have been properly soaked, plus it's extruded and can't be cooked for long enough, NT-wise. I've wondered if pasta is ever a good idea to eat, for the reasons above. The buckwheat that you made your daughter would be a good first step, since you do such a good job of prepping it, and it's gluten-free if I remember correctly. But I can't speak much to how you know if you're ready - I hope to be asking that question myself in a year or so
~Shanna~ is offline  
#435 of 770 Old 06-17-2006, 02:08 PM
 
Gale Force's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nestled in the Sierras
Posts: 4,950
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Annikate -- I think the only thing you can do is a trial run and see how you feel. I didn't eat grains at all in the beginning and then I tested millet and reacted so I didn't eat grains for several more months. Now I can go to a restaurant and eat without any major discomfort, just the usual bloating or over-stuffed feeling I associate with grains.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Gale Force is offline  
#436 of 770 Old 06-17-2006, 06:33 PM
 
Annikate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 4,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
You might want to stay away from chlorinated swimming pools--a couple of people here have had problems after their kids have been swimming. Apparently chlorine is very hard on damaged guts.
Yup, that was dd. She regressed big time after we started swim lessons - - spitting up again (her old reflux came back), not sleeping at all, all the old symptoms she had before we started SCD. I pulled her out and won't bring her back or let her in our pool until (maybe) next summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
Annikate -- I think the only thing you can do is a trial run and see how you feel. I didn't eat grains at all in the beginning and then I tested millet and reacted so I didn't eat grains for several more months. Now I can go to a restaurant and eat without any major discomfort, just the usual bloating or over-stuffed feeling I associate with grains.
I'm a little afraid to try yk? I definitely won't do potatoes (probably ever again) but I may try brown rice. (Totally forgot about soaking - - thanks Shanna!)
Funny thing, I'm feeling so *heavy* from all the protein. I'm over it.
Annikate is offline  
#437 of 770 Old 06-17-2006, 09:15 PM
 
moonshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: finding my way back to the Dingos
Posts: 2,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On intro Day 4 and added banana 2 days ago and green beans last night. Right after eating the beans yesterday, I had a bit of tummy ache, but nothing too severe. But it is the first stomach ache since starting (even not after eating meat!). I did have a normal-size stool this morning though, first time since starting. (sorry TMI!) I just had some more green beans now and stomach is again a bit off again. Should I move on to another green item, or just proceed? I would really love to eat something other than meat, broth, eggs, yogurt, dccc and bananas. I know you all can relate. Well, I am drinking some water kefir, but not too much. I just started brewing some of Gale Force's grains, and the rest of the family isn't drinking it so much. I still don't think that yeast is precisely my problem, although who knows, maybe I am kidding myself. (spit test was neg! )
moonshine is offline  
#438 of 770 Old 06-17-2006, 10:51 PM
 
Spencersmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am hoping for some insight or advice here. Today is day 5 of scd. We have introduced applesauce, pearsauce and spinach. This morning for breakfast we had 24 hour yogurt made with cow's milk, which I test IgG allergic to (ds has not been tested) and a banana (both new additions). Ds has not really eaten well the last three days. He is saying no to all the food. Today he ate the yogurt and banana, scrambled eggs, pearsauce, cooked carrots with a couple of small pieces of chicken, more pearsauce, the intro cheesecake and that's all. I worried all day that he was not getting enough protein although he is nursing like a newborn - every two hours. When should I begin to worry that he is not getting enough food? He is eating much less than he did before we started and he does seem hungry, just not interested in THIS food.

Also, tonight he has a fever of 102. Is this related to die off because of the yogurt? Coincidence? Response of his immune system to the diet? He has no other symptoms of cold or anything else.

After eating the yogurt I have two huge "lesions" on my tongue. I have been told before that I have geographic tongue for any of you that know what that is. The spots are the biggest spots I think I have ever had. I do get them when I eat things I am not supposed to. And I feel mildly achey all over. I might be tired from all the damn cooking I have been doing. Does the tongue thing sound like die-off or maybe a reaction to eating cow's milk yogurt, which I have not had for months? Do I put up with the reaction because the yogurt is supposed to help so much?

And one last thing. What is die off supposed to feel like? I am assuming that it is different for each person. I should add that last night I started taking pascalite clay to help with die off. If it's helping, I am glad that it is but for the last three days I feel pretty much normal. At least if I felt worse I would know that all of this is working

TIA. For those of you on the pecanbread forum, you may see this twice because I am going to post this there as well.
Spencersmom is offline  
#439 of 770 Old 06-17-2006, 11:13 PM
 
Chinese Pistache's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Under a shady tree, you and me
Posts: 5,854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Spencersmom and Caedmyn, thank you for your replies. I'm know I'm just impatient about this. I wish we were all well. Sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Yup, that was dd. She regressed big time after we started swim lessons - - spitting up again (her old reflux came back), not sleeping at all, all the old symptoms she had before we started SCD. I pulled her out and won't bring her back or let her in our pool until (maybe) next summer.
Annikate, this is just what's happened with dd! Even with our diets being totally legal, the pool seems to have thrown us for a loop.

Did your dd have skin problems, too?

Thanks everyone.
Chinese Pistache is offline  
#440 of 770 Old 06-18-2006, 12:01 AM
 
Chinese Pistache's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Under a shady tree, you and me
Posts: 5,854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just doing some reading at breakingtheviciouscycle.com and read about the need to prepare beans/lentils a particular way. It said I could find instructions in the book, so if someone's read it, would you mind elaborating on the preparation of legumes? Thanks!

Also, Jane (or anyone else), I wanted to ask if you were doing SCD in order to rid your ds of eczema and for how long. Since you're still following the diet, what other symptoms does he currently have that lead to you to continue "healing his gut"?

I'd love to hear from any one else on that point, particularly if your babies had/have skin problems or food sensitivities. I guess I'm wondering when/how you knew the diet was making a difference and at what point you felt your dd/ds was "healed." Not sure if many on this thread are there yet, but if you know of examples, I'd love to hear them. The testimonials of parents of asd kids on pecanbread.com were truly inspiring.
Chinese Pistache is offline  
#441 of 770 Old 06-18-2006, 12:05 AM
 
Annikate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 4,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chinese Pistache,
DD2 (who totally regressed after swim lessons began) does not have any skin problems. DD1 on the other hand, does have excema and has since she was a baby. The chlorine makes her excema much worse. It actually took about 2 weeks to clear up after her lessons were over. Now I don't want either one of them to get in our pool!

As far as the dark circles, etc. I think that your babe is probably going through some pretty significant die-off. Epsom salt baths help a lot. I'd back off on the probiotics for now. I forget how old your dd is or if she's nursing but go slowly on the enzymes. Have you made any 24 hour yogurt yet?
Annikate is offline  
#442 of 770 Old 06-18-2006, 12:06 AM
 
Annikate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 4,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BTW, legumes are for much later on SCD.
Annikate is offline  
#443 of 770 Old 06-18-2006, 12:15 AM
 
Kundalini-Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LOVING LIFE and oh, so thankful!!!
Posts: 2,723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
spencer's mom,

I can't do cow dairy in any form either, but I tolerate goat's yogurt, cheese, butter, w/o complaint. Is that an option for you?
Kundalini-Mama is offline  
#444 of 770 Old 06-18-2006, 03:15 AM
 
greencat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a mom of two kids, age DS 2 and DD 4. We have been on SCD since last July (my kids suffer from chronic eczema.) Their eczema is food induced and we have a list of foods that we avoid eating. The list of foods that causes their itchy eczema is long (was longer before SCD), and some of the foods we avoid are grain/gluten, sugar, yeast, some spices, cuke family, berries, apples, grapes, beets, and most dairy.

I am looking for other people who are on SCD, fighting to control over growth of yeast/Leaky Gut Syndrome, or making SCD yogurt to increase colon friendly bacteria/probiotic, taking digestive enzyme(s) or have tried some form of detoxification.

Currently, I am personalizing the SCD with other anti-yeast diet (within SCD legal foods), Food Combination and body's acid-alkaline balance.
greencat is offline  
#445 of 770 Old 06-18-2006, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
 
chasmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Beautiful British Columbia
Posts: 2,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine
On intro Day 4 and added banana 2 days ago and green beans last night. Right after eating the beans yesterday, I had a bit of tummy ache, but nothing too severe. But it is the first stomach ache since starting (even not after eating meat!). I did have a normal-size stool this morning though, first time since starting. (sorry TMI!) I just had some more green beans now and stomach is again a bit off again. Should I move on to another green item, or just proceed? I would really love to eat something other than meat, broth, eggs, yogurt, dccc and bananas. I know you all can relate. Well, I am drinking some water kefir, but not too much. I just started brewing some of Gale Force's grains, and the rest of the family isn't drinking it so much. I still don't think that yeast is precisely my problem, although who knows, maybe I am kidding myself. (spit test was neg! )
I had issues with green beans, too. I found spinach to be easily digestable, and asparagus. I moved on to a different veggie - maybe will again try green beans when I'm further into the diet (6 weeks now). So far I can eat, veggie-wise: spinach, asparagus, artichokes, broccoli (I think), zucchini, chard and bok choy. But not green beans. Lots of times it seems people can eat some things and not others and the stages seem to be irrelevant. Remember to make sure everything is WELL-cooked, too. I'm wondering if part of my mistake with the green beans was one - not cooking them enough and two, not using french cut (without seeds). But because of the stomach ache I got I'm hesitant to try them again for awhile.
chasmyn is offline  
#446 of 770 Old 06-18-2006, 08:19 PM
 
Chinese Pistache's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Under a shady tree, you and me
Posts: 5,854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have a link to info about the effects of scd on a bf'd baby? I'm following the SCD diet, but what kind of effect is that having on dd? She hardly eats any solids now (just mashed or pureed fruits and vegetables), I've cut back on the probiotics I was giving her, and she hasn't been too keen on taking CLO. I'm the one taking the supplements and eating the food (we're not doing yogurt because I won't be able to make my own [goat] for another 3-4 wks when we move into our house).

Rambling and thinking aloud to follow:

I guess I'm just wondering because I think *my* gut flora is fine. I've always eaten very healthy, have never had allergies or gastro problems. We ate a lot of Indian food with yogurt (I only stopped for several months when dd showed a sensitivity to dairy) and saurkraut and other fermented foods. I even passed the spit test

But I do think dd's system is messed up, because, like I said before, she had the antibiotics, showed a dairy (and I think, soy) sensitivity, then, got a yeast overgrowth from consuming too many processed starches, which was the tipping point for her eczema to show up.

I've just been reading pecanbread and btvc and I'm not seeing much info about the effects of a mother's diet on helping to eradicate bad bacteria and establish good bacteria in her baby's gut. I know bm is amazing, but does it actually *deposit* good bacteria in a baby's gut if the mother is consuming it? Or am I thinking about this all wrong?
Chinese Pistache is offline  
#447 of 770 Old 06-19-2006, 12:17 AM
 
Pattyla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache
Does anyone have a link to info about the effects of scd on a bf'd baby? I'm following the SCD diet, but what kind of effect is that having on dd? She hardly eats any solids now (just mashed or pureed fruits and vegetables), I've cut back on the probiotics I was giving her, and she hasn't been too keen on taking CLO. I'm the one taking the supplements and eating the food (we're not doing yogurt because I won't be able to make my own [goat] for another 3-4 wks when we move into our house).

Rambling and thinking aloud to follow:

I guess I'm just wondering because I think *my* gut flora is fine. I've always eaten very healthy, have never had allergies or gastro problems. We ate a lot of Indian food with yogurt (I only stopped for several months when dd showed a sensitivity to dairy) and saurkraut and other fermented foods. I even passed the spit test

But I do think dd's system is messed up, because, like I said before, she had the antibiotics, showed a dairy (and I think, soy) sensitivity, then, got a yeast overgrowth from consuming too many processed starches, which was the tipping point for her eczema to show up.

I've just been reading pecanbread and btvc and I'm not seeing much info about the effects of a mother's diet on helping to eradicate bad bacteria and establish good bacteria in her baby's gut. I know bm is amazing, but does it actually *deposit* good bacteria in a baby's gut if the mother is consuming it? Or am I thinking about this all wrong?
I'm not sure what to tell you about most of this. Do you know that there is a source for 30 hour goat yogurt? http://www.whiteegretfarm.com/ I know you can order it. I'm sure it isn't cheap but if you think it is worth it, that is a source of premade scd legal goat yogurt.

Did your dd ever have formula or abx? What about vax? Any of those can mess up her gut. If your gut really is fine then after following scd for a month you will be able to add in illegals w/o any reaction. My dh has been shocked at how much he reacts to illegals now. Of course he also thinks that most people would probably benefit from at least some time on scd to clean out their systems. This from the guy who used to buy a bucket of kfc to live on for a week at a time. He's come a long way.

As far as if probiotics go through your bm that is the million dollar question. No one knows for sure. Lots assume it does but (unless I am mistaken) it hasn't been proven either way.

I'm not 100% convinced that all proteins should be completely broken down in your gut. I think that even if you have a healthy gut there are things that will get through that may make your dd react. I don't know that it will be everything that she would react to if she ate it straight but part of what makes bm a good first food is that it tastes a bit like the food that mom eats so baby gets introduced to the flavors of her culture. It doesn't make sense to me that no bits of that food are in that flavored bm. KWIM?

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Pattyla is offline  
#448 of 770 Old 06-19-2006, 12:24 AM
 
moonshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: finding my way back to the Dingos
Posts: 2,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just had spinach and now my stomach hurts. All I used to eat was vegetables and fruit, and now I get a stomach ache from them???? : Well, I did have cooked apples and beans today, and think I was ok from that. (and I made them french cut beans myself : )

I am actually scared to eat veggies. Sigh. I think I need to get more enzymes. I just have Zyme Prime and Wobenzyme.

I have been cheating with coffee with milk. : That does not make my stomach hurt (I don't think that I ever had issues tolerating cow's milk), but it might be adding to the bloat.

How much yogurt do you eat per day? I have to hold myself back so I don't run out. Been going through half a gallon a week. Or something like that. Since it is one of the few foods I can eat!
moonshine is offline  
#449 of 770 Old 06-19-2006, 12:24 AM
 
Pattyla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So after one night, 2 weeks ago, of dd sleeping 6 hours straight (and no idea why) we are back to waking every 1-2 hours or just staying latched on all night. Last night she did her going back to her own bed between nursings that she has done on occasion. I know that is a step in the right direction of her sleeping alone all night (her bed is pushed up against our bed, just lower) but it means I got less sleep than usual. I'm thinking about backing up to all cooked stage 1 foods for a few days and quitting the enzymes to see what happens. I might even do the intro again for she and I. If that clears it up I'll know it is what she is eating. If not, I'll chalk it up to being 2. She is just a whiny, clingy wreck and I can't get anything done durring the day cause she needs to nurse constantly. It makes no sense to me that it would be her molars (my usual scape goat) because this is way worse than it has been and those are a millimeter or two from being completely in (fully through the gums for weeks).

We see a new Dr on Tues. When they called to rearrange my time to give someone else a longer appointment I got some doubts about her being able to help us. The Dr is a family practitioner and a chiro. Not sure if she does cranial. I'll be asking if she does or can recomend someone who does it for toddlers. Of course dd freaks if a stranger or someone she doesn't see often wants to touch her lately unless she gets a long time to warm up to them so I'm not sure how that will work anyhow. I just want freaken sleep!

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Pattyla is offline  
#450 of 770 Old 06-19-2006, 12:46 AM
 
bluets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 3,141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
As far as if probiotics go through your bm that is the million dollar question. No one knows for sure. Lots assume it does but (unless I am mistaken) it hasn't been proven either way.
i thought i had read that the mammary glands harbor a thriving population of lactic acid bacteria - probably derived from mama's gut population at some point. i doubt it is clear if the mammary gland population exchanges individuals with the gut population.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

bluets is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off