Healing the Gut Tribe - June!!! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 770 Old 06-20-2006, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nak

Went to the new Dr today. I had a 1 pg history of dd's health to start us off. Dr asked a few clarifying questions then told me that it is "time to wean". That weaning will fix everything. : :

She went on about it for a time but when I calmly but firmly told her that we would not be weaning now and that I knew it isn't a behavorial defect she backed off.

She ordered allergy blood tests (including for celiacs even though we have been gluten free for nearly 5 months) and wants to do a stool test. She also told me that dd has a heart murmur. I had no idea. Not feeling so great about our other Dr right now that he has missed this for 2.5 years.

I'm torn about doing the allergy testing. DD has had one blood draw, 2 weeks ago, and it was extremely traumatic. She is still processing it daily. I also know that the test isn't necessarily accurate. However I also want to meet this Dr half way too because she may be able to help us and I am very interested in the results of the stool test. Thoughts? She seemed like a reasonable competent Dr. She respected our family choices (for the most part). The info she handed out about nutrition etc came mostly from Dr Sears.

She also gave me a cd about glyconutrients. I haven't been able to listen to it yet.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#482 of 770 Old 06-20-2006, 06:17 PM

EBG: Thanks for the tip. I did not know the complexed process of making the sourdough bread. As may of you may know, the Maker's Diet allows sourdough bread without yeast. However, you have to pay to join their web page to see its recipe (?). I enjoyed reading "The Maker's Diet" and the personal story on "Patient Heal Thyself" which is astonishing, but I have a personal-ethical issue to buy his products, books etc. Yet, I was still curious about the yeast free sourdough bread. Well, based on your experinece, I am going to stay with SCD breads for now.
#483 of 770 Old 06-20-2006, 06:19 PM

How long is it safe to stay on the basic intro diet? I feel like I am consuming so few foods. Beef (ground and stock), tons of eggs, dccc, bananas, cooked apples, yogurt, raw honey, CLO, CO, chlorophyll (when I remember) and B complex are my daily staples. I have tried green beans, spinach and zucchini with various stomach ailments to follow. The zucchini last night was ok, but felt more bloated than usual. This morning, constipated. It will a week tomorrow since I started.

I started weaning off the coffee and only had 3/4 cup today (instead of 2-4 : ). And no kefir. Some apple cider because I needed a quick fix.

I am bfing a 2.5 yr old. She eats plenty of food, but still nurses a few times a day. I guess I am just wondering how long I can keep going this slow. Think I will try cooked pears next. The fruit seems to be better than veggies. Ordered all the Houstons yesterday, so hopefully can start the No Fenol this week and maybe that will help with the veggies. Don't know why I didn't think that I needed it.
#484 of 770 Old 06-20-2006, 06:20 PM

there is a sourdough thread going on so someone there might be able to give pointers: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=438763

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#485 of 770 Old 06-20-2006, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine
How long is it safe to stay on the basic intro diet? I feel like I am consuming so few foods. Beef (ground and stock), tons of eggs, dccc, bananas, cooked apples, yogurt, raw honey, CLO, CO, chlorophyll (when I remember) and B complex are my daily staples. I have tried green beans, spinach and zucchini with various stomach ailments to follow. The zucchini last night was ok, but felt more bloated than usual. This morning, constipated. It will a week tomorrow since I started.

I started weaning off the coffee and only had 3/4 cup today (instead of 2-4 : ). And no kefir. Some apple cider because I needed a quick fix.

I am bfing a 2.5 yr old. She eats plenty of food, but still nurses a few times a day. I guess I am just wondering how long I can keep going this slow. Think I will try cooked pears next. The fruit seems to be better than veggies. Ordered all the Houstons yesterday, so hopefully can start the No Fenol this week and maybe that will help with the veggies. Don't know why I didn't think that I needed it.
Are you remembering to peel and deseed all veggies and fruit and cook it well?

our family is <>< and :
#486 of 770 Old 06-20-2006, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
Are you remembering to peel and deseed all veggies and fruit and cook it well?
Yes, ma'am. Well, not the zucchini because I was following the recipe from BTVC and it didn't sound like I should/needed to???

Just had some avocado with my 2 burgers. :
#487 of 770 Old 06-20-2006, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Yes, ma'am. Well, not the zucchini because I was following the recipe from BTVC and it didn't sound like I should/needed to???

Just had some avocado with my 2 burgers. :
It is important that you modify all recipes to fit your stage of the diet so if it calls for Zucc and you are still in the peeled and deseeded stage be sure to do that. I couldn't tolerate peel or seeds on zucc for quite a while but now I can no problem. I think we went almost 2 months on the diet before I could handle anything uncooked and it was nearly that long before we could eat anything with the skin on or seeds in.

our family is <>< and :
#488 of 770 Old 06-20-2006, 09:26 PM

Patty,
I may be in the minority here but I am sooo glad I had dd bloodtested for food allergies. Yes, there is a high rate of false positives, but I was looking for a guideline and at that point anything would've helped us! TUrns out, dd's all seem to be right on so far. EVerything that tested negative she IS able to tolerate so far.

Having the blood drawn really, really su**s. I hated doing it and our idiotic lab techs didn't get enough the first time so I had to go back w/dd a week later and do it all again. (And they take quite a bit of blood.) I would hate to think about dd1 having to go! Yikes.

But . .. just remember, it'll be worth it to get the results. AND if you get a good tech it will only last less than a minute.

Wanted to tell you (and the rest of the mamas) too that dd1 actually enjoyed her CST appointment yesterday. It was AMAZING. I watched dd's eyes and could actually see something happening inside of her. It really was something to witness. Her therapist said that she did a lot of releasing from her lower abdomen and thought she may not need another session! We're having her come again next week and then we'll see. She has not poopied today though and I don't really like that.

And dd2 has been wired for sound since her appointment yesterday. I actually gave her some Rescue REmemdy for the first time tonight. (Didn't really want to do that either but she sobbed and sobbed each time she felt herself drifting off to sleep & she was at the nipple too.
#489 of 770 Old 06-20-2006, 09:31 PM

[QUOTE=JaneS]Chlorine kills off the good bacteria... if we are working so hard to increase it, pools should be off limits IMO. It's hard I know.
QUOTE]

Hi all, just reading along here. , but I've only just started reading, so sorry if this question is a basic one... I filter our drinking water and we don't go swimming, but my kids have a tendency to drink bath water : is there a way to get rid of the chlorine naturally or by adding something? Also, when I boil my kettle I don't filter, does boiling rid the water of chlorine?

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#490 of 770 Old 06-20-2006, 09:36 PM

Nikki,
I don't know about boiling but this is what we have (the shower heads and the tablets.) The tablets are awesome and you only need to use a tiny piece in the tub.
http://www.ronin-online.com/
#491 of 770 Old 06-20-2006, 10:01 PM

Good to know on the zuccs. They actually seemed ok, compared to the spinach the night before. And all seems good with the avocado!!! Oh, that does open some doors.

Annikate, that is great about the CST. It is amazing to see such mimimal movement of treatment have such great results. I had some CS training. Unfortunately I could not have disliked my instructor more. Plus I was 8 months pregnant and just wanting to get done.
#492 of 770 Old 06-20-2006, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Nikki,
I don't know about boiling but this is what we have (the shower heads and the tablets.) The tablets are awesome and you only need to use a tiny piece in the tub.
http://www.ronin-online.com/
Really, only a tiny piece? I've been putting a whole tablet in! You mean I've been wasting them? How much do you generally put in?
#493 of 770 Old 06-20-2006, 10:07 PM

I just break it in half and then try to break the halves into 3 pieces each. (Going by what dh said, he's the engineer in the family.) Apparently one tablet can take care of a LOT of water.
#494 of 770 Old 06-20-2006, 10:53 PM

double post

our family is <>< and :
#495 of 770 Old 06-20-2006, 11:16 PM

I have http://www.realgoods.com/shop/shop2....205/ts/1042881this bath ball. I'm working on getting a filter for the shower. We have a strange shower so most don't work with it. I found one and this just reminded me that I never ordered it. I'll have to do that.

our family is <>< and :
#496 of 770 Old 06-21-2006, 04:04 AM

Quote:
I did the baking soda test some weeks ago, and didn't pass. In the last few days, I have had a similar sensation as I did after drinking the baking soda.
Did I miss this? What is the baking soda test?

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
#497 of 770 Old 06-21-2006, 09:59 AM

#498 of 770 Old 06-21-2006, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
Nak

Went to the new Dr today. I had a 1 pg history of dd's health to start us off. Dr asked a few clarifying questions then told me that it is "time to wean". That weaning will fix everything. : :

Quote:
She also told me that dd has a heart murmur. I had no idea. Not feeling so great about our other Dr right now that he has missed this for 2.5 years.
Apparently, children (up to 80%) have an innocent murmur at some time in their childhood. Here is a link about it: http://www.bhsoc.org/bhf_factfiles/b...e_oct_2001.pdf

Quote:
I'm torn about doing the allergy testing. DD has had one blood draw, 2 weeks ago, and it was extremely traumatic. She is still processing it daily. I also know that the test isn't necessarily accurate. However I also want to meet this Dr half way too because she may be able to help us and I am very interested in the results of the stool test. Thoughts? She seemed like a reasonable competent Dr. She respected our family choices (for the most part). The info she handed out about nutrition etc came mostly from Dr Sears.

She also gave me a cd about glyconutrients. I haven't been able to listen to it yet.
***I don't know as much about allergy blood testing as Jane, but I'd certainly consider the saliva, stool and hair analysis first since your daughter has been so traumatized by this already. Or insist that you have a prescription for the EMLA creme for numbing her arm before a venapuncture.: http://www.skinsite.com/info_emla_cream.htm

Pat

I have a blog.
#499 of 770 Old 06-21-2006, 12:10 PM

Now that I've finally figured out I have to log in for the forums to show any posts...

If I'm not producing enough stomach acid, will the enzymes not work properly? I did the baking soda test and apparently am not producing enough stomach acid, so I wonder if that affects how the enzymes work.

EBG--you have yeast problems, right? I'm going to start a different diet Friday (the yahoo group candidasupport has the info on it) because the SCD hasn't helped me, and I've love to have some company if you're up for trying something new

Well I cheated royally on the diet the last couple of days--DH's sister and her family were visiting and we went out for dinner twice. I figured the SCD isn't helping anyway so I might as well enjoy myself for a couple of days before starting the new diet. So I had eggrolls, potstickers, bread, prime rib sandwhich w/au jus, mashed potatoes and gravy, and cheesecake. I think I covered all the illegals in those two meals! And I felt absolutely no different than normal--yet another sign that the SCD isn't working for me, I guess.

Plus we went to a waterpark and I went swimming, although I wasn't in the water too much (mostly went down the water slides a few times), so who knows what effect the chlorine had on any good gut bacteria I've managed to acquire. I did keep DD out of the water, though, although DH's sister didn't think too much of that. But oh well, she is my kid and they can think what they want.

Kind of OT...is okay to give a 6 month old a little bit of water? We were outside a lot the last two days and I was teaching DD to drink out of my water bottle. She generally won't nurse more than every 3 hours and has trouble concentrating on nursing when it's noisy, so I wanted to make sure she wasn't getting dehydrated (especially after she held her pee for 4 1/2 hours! Sad that a 6 month old can hold it for longer than I can!).
#500 of 770 Old 06-21-2006, 01:19 PM

I do believe that brain fog is indicitive of die-off? Oh my goodness, I just stood in my kitchen retracing all my steps making banana, yogurt, dccc, CO and raw honey that is my lunch because I was still hungry and there is nothing else I can eat quickly, so thought I would make some more, but I couldn't find the DCCC!!!! I finally found it in the freezer (where I keep extra, but not where I got it from moments ago!).

And this morning I was so tired I felt drugged. Just slept for an hour and only got up because I have to go to work.

No idea about the low HCl and enzymes. I would suspect they still work, but maybe not as well? I have been taking the HCl since 2 nights ago, and am wondering if what I am feeling is in part from that. That and now being completely SCD legel (no coffee or kefir).
#501 of 770 Old 06-21-2006, 02:06 PM

caedmyn, I'm going to check out your new diet, since I definitely have candida issues and the SCD hasn't worked for me -- unless I'm going to try going back to the intro diet, which did seem to help (I think, it's been so long though).

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#502 of 770 Old 06-21-2006, 03:28 PM
EBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
Now that I've finally figured out I have to log in for the forums to show any posts...

If I'm not producing enough stomach acid, will the enzymes not work properly? I did the baking soda test and apparently am not producing enough stomach acid, so I wonder if that affects how the enzymes work.

EBG--you have yeast problems, right? I'm going to start a different diet Friday (the yahoo group candidasupport has the info on it) because the SCD hasn't helped me, and I've love to have some company if you're up for trying something new

Well I cheated royally on the diet the last couple of days--DH's sister and her family were visiting and we went out for dinner twice. I figured the SCD isn't helping anyway so I might as well enjoy myself for a couple of days before starting the new diet. So I had eggrolls, potstickers, bread, prime rib sandwhich w/au jus, mashed potatoes and gravy, and cheesecake. I think I covered all the illegals in those two meals! And I felt absolutely no different than normal--yet another sign that the SCD isn't working for me, I guess.

Plus we went to a waterpark and I went swimming, although I wasn't in the water too much (mostly went down the water slides a few times), so who knows what effect the chlorine had on any good gut bacteria I've managed to acquire. I did keep DD out of the water, though, although DH's sister didn't think too much of that. But oh well, she is my kid and they can think what they want.

Kind of OT...is okay to give a 6 month old a little bit of water? We were outside a lot the last two days and I was teaching DD to drink out of my water bottle. She generally won't nurse more than every 3 hours and has trouble concentrating on nursing when it's noisy, so I wanted to make sure she wasn't getting dehydrated (especially after she held her pee for 4 1/2 hours! Sad that a 6 month old can hold it for longer than I can!).

Filtered water is OK or bottled. I only trust Deer Park. Once I read a repost on AOL, I thnk that most bottled water is just municipal water and the spring waters are often contaminated with bacteria. Deer Part was on eof the few that tested excellent for purity.

Caedmyn, I tried the Candida diet before SCD. I was sugar/grain/cheese/vinegar/mushroom free and did garlic and Culturelle. I had a bad die-off for two weeks but after it passed, everything did get better but my eczema didn't clear, my itchy issues are still here and my tongue is worse than before. So when I found somebody on the lowcarber forum who got rid off their eczema by eating the SCD yogurt, I thought I'll give it a try and I've been doing it since February, but no change whatsoever. i also added coconut oil, CLO back then. Still doing garlic... and added kefir about 2 weeks ago. More die-off...
Now my hope is that strong enzymes will help. I'll try Digest Gold first and then add the yeast killers. I did a round of Candidase a few weeks ago which did nothing. I probably need to do a double dose or a different formulation...
If enzymes don't help along with the diet, I don't know what will...

I remember somebody posting something negative about GSE... what was it again?
Karen De Felice says that people have success using No-Fenol and GSE for yeast. I really want to try that combo. I couldn't find anything on the net about GSE being harmful during lactation...
#503 of 770 Old 06-21-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
I remember somebody posting something negative about GSE... what was it again?
Karen De Felice says that people have success using No-Fenol and GSE for yeast. I really want to try that combo. I couldn't find anything on the net about GSE being harmful during lactation...
GSE might contain synthetic microbiocides which are endocrine disruptors. It isn't clear if these are contaminants or byproducts or what. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...?p=5227981#907

#504 of 770 Old 06-21-2006, 03:57 PM
EBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets
GSE might contain synthetic microbiocides which are endocrine disruptors. It isn't clear if these are contaminants or byproducts or what. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...?p=5227981#907
I read through the articles... it's sad that most commercial GSE is contaminated, but not all of them. I wonder which ones are not. I don't think chewing on seeds is the same, but who knows?

I'm just so desperate to find something that works and is also safe.
#505 of 770 Old 06-21-2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
I read through the articles... it's sad that most commercial GSE is contaminated, but not all of them. I wonder which ones are not. I don't think chewing on seeds is the same, but who knows?

I'm just so desperate to find something that works and is also safe.
I've used both nystatin and diflucan in the past. Diflucan (aka fluconazole) knocks out some key components of the fungal cell wall so that it somehow cannot reproduce - hence the 24-hour delay before you notice any effect. Diflucan is a systemic drug and does have some interactions with other drugs. Nystatin (oral) is said to be not systemic but I've read that the oral form can be used to treat a plethora of candida infections (digestive tract and elsewhere). It apparently binds to cell membranes of fungi causing their cell contents to then leak out.

Lactobacillus plantarum (if it is possible to get in some form) might be useful - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&term=16701514

#506 of 770 Old 06-21-2006, 04:25 PM
EBG

Just found an interesting article on GSE:
http://www.jr2.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/band73/b73-1.html

Apparently the antimicrobial element in GSE is the contaminant synthetic preservative. The one pure GSE had no antimicrobial affect on Candida.
#507 of 770 Old 06-21-2006, 04:30 PM
EBG

Here's a source, a little pricey but may worth it:

http://www.enzymeessentials.com/HTML...adophilus.html
#508 of 770 Old 06-21-2006, 04:40 PM

I found something on why oil of oregano isn't good to use while breastfeeding--it can decrease your supply. I still don't know why it's not recommended during pregnancy, though.
#509 of 770 Old 06-21-2006, 04:40 PM

My dh is now being treated for leaky gut - the ND is just assuming that he is "leaky" and has recommended a few things, including the probiotic "PB 8". Curiously, the "PB 8" website doesn't have information but another wite does (http://www.internatural-alternative-...ingr576108.cfm) and this produce DOES have L. plantarum.

(And it took a visit to the ND for dh to be convinced that perhaps dw was right as usual. Bah.)

#510 of 770 Old 06-21-2006, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
I found something on why oil of oregano isn't good to use while breastfeeding--it can decrease your supply. I still don't know why it's not recommended during pregnancy, though.
from kellymom.com - oregano stimulates menstruation and may cause miscarriage. http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/oregano_oil.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page