Healing the Gut Tribe - June!!! - Page 23 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#661 of 770 Old 06-26-2006, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama
I started taking 2 Tbsp. of the Blue Ice CLO -- does anyone know if high doses are okay for nursing? I may go to 3 Tbsp. for a week or so if it's okay. And if it is okay, should I also give ds some? Or would he be getting enough of it through my BM (he's almost EBF)? (I'm hoping to clear up acne and those pesky red bumps on the back of my arms in me, and a pimply rash on ds's cheeks and upper arms.)
Here are some CLO guidelinesfrom the WAP Foundation.
#662 of 770 Old 06-26-2006, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_in_Maine
Hey all,
First of all I just want to add that since joining the Mothering forum I have learned tons and feel more empowered in helping my daughter and keeping my children healthy! Thanks to those ladies that have helped me find my answers and helped me to feel welcome!
My daughter has Autism and will be 3 in August. She is on GFCF diet (has been since August '05 except when we went off at Thanksgiving to see how she would react..a week later we were back on it!) She has eczema off and on and right now it is pretty bad on her legs and arms. I suspect yeast and really want to start to clean out her system..what are my steps and what are the products I need?
Also I am breastfeeding newborn twin boys. If I have yeast in my system I could possibly be passing it to them. How can eliminate yeast in my breastmilk and if they already have yeast, get rid of theirs as well?
One of the twins has pretty wet BM's, and the other burps a rotten egg smell. Could these be signs of Yeast? I'm thinking yes and as you can imagine I am severely paranoid my two boys will develop Autism as well and want to do everything I can...
Thanks for your help!
Mama did you read through this sticky?
#663 of 770 Old 06-26-2006, 09:49 PM

Is it possible to have very few physical symptoms but have mental symptoms from food intolerances? I don't have a lot of physical symptoms (but I do have some) but I have been having an awful time mentally. I keep having these episodes of extreme anger & I have trouble controlling myself around DD (yelling at her and stuff). It occurred to me today that it might be related to some of the foods I'm eating but I'm not sure yet.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Off to read more about the enzymes.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#664 of 770 Old 06-26-2006, 10:09 PM

I posted a separate thread about this but I think it got burried.

Anybody that's had a colonoscopy and/or done a colon cleansing and/or used go-lytely get their electrolytes all messed up? I've felt really spacey and dizzy lately and eating and drinking doesn't seem to help. They've said my iron is fine and it doesn't seem like anxiety, although the nurse today said "if it happens when you're not at home it could be..." D'oh! I don't have social phobias!
#665 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 08:55 AM

moonshine, I think if it doesn't say they add extra milk solids, that should be ok, but call them just to be sure. What's the problem with just using this yogurt as starter, anyway?

This may be slightly OT: Lately, DS has been having nosebleeds almost every day, and often his nose bleeds more than once in a day, and pretty profusely. He eats a lot of raw fruit -- could this be the problem? I know salicylates can increase nosebleeds. He doesn't eat much of any green veggies either -- should I buy some vitamin K to give him? Should I call our ND? Buy and give him no fenol?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#666 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo
Is it possible to have very few physical symptoms but have mental symptoms from food intolerances? I don't have a lot of physical symptoms (but I do have some) but I have been having an awful time mentally. I keep having these episodes of extreme anger & I have trouble controlling myself around DD (yelling at her and stuff). It occurred to me today that it might be related to some of the foods I'm eating but I'm not sure yet.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Off to read more about the enzymes.
This is my 4 yr old son to a tee. We are presently trying to keep him from killing the cats. Sigh.

In a homeopathy book, I read somewhere that the skin was the first organ to show a reaction. If it is ignored, it spreads somewhere else, like the brain, affecting his behavior.
#667 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 12:02 PM

Help me, wise experienced SCD Mamas.

I am now almost 2 weeks on SCD. After giving up my last illegals (coffee and water kefir) a few days into it, I got massively constipated, which has yet to subside. Basically it has been almost a week w/o a "normal" stool. I have added in a few foods (cooked apples and pears, asparagus, avocado, banana, cooked strawberries, cooked carrots, green beans, spinach --although not all of them agreed with me), but I really feel like I am on a protein diet, to the exclusion of most everything else. I have had an awful taste in my mouth for a while (since starting) and now my nursling also has awful breath since last night.

I am taking Zyme Prime with meals and Wobenzyme in between. I have ordered Pepizyde and No Fenol, although I am still waiting on them. Oh, and I started eating cooked prunes in the evening to see if that would help. I did try orange juice one morning, but it didn't make me feel great.

I pulled out the book again today to see if I could find more information about how to proceed. I read that the marker to continue with more and different foods is diarreha, and that raw fruits and veggies can have a laxative effect, therefore they need to be cooked. So what about someone like me, who pretty much never has loose stool? I did add a few black currants that I have from my garden to my yogurt today, just to see how that would go.

I am despairing a bit.
#668 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 01:51 PM

moonshine, are you getting enough magnesium? A magnesium deficiency can cause constipation. But so can die-off, unfortunately. Have you tried an enema?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#669 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn
Oh beautiful Gut-Healing Mama Gurus, might I pick your brains yet again?

I am trying to decide which enzymes DH ought to take. Zyme Prime of Peptizyde, or both? His symptoms are: dermatitis or something like it, rashy red stuff, flaky skin, all over his head, chest, even face at times. Responds well to toxic ick and not much else (coal tar and the like ). He MIGHT have a dairy sensitivity - we know he cannot do any sort of pasteurized dairy, he does not digest it well. His stools are good, though - firm, sink, he says good color (I haven't seen them personally . He was recently on a mostly vegetarian diet and was eating eggs and raw milk with that, and some fish. Now has gone back to meat but is trying to eliminate allergenic foods except the 24 hour yogurt. We've seen no difference but it's only been a few days now. He says his stools are harder though, and he isn't goin g as often.

So which would you say he needs? One, the other, both?
Reposting because I think it got lost in the thread? And am hoping for help :
#670 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine
Help me, wise experienced SCD Mamas.

I am now almost 2 weeks on SCD. After giving up my last illegals (coffee and water kefir) a few days into it, I got massively constipated, which has yet to subside. Basically it has been almost a week w/o a "normal" stool. I have added in a few foods (cooked apples and pears, asparagus, avocado, banana, cooked strawberries, cooked carrots, green beans, spinach --although not all of them agreed with me), but I really feel like I am on a protein diet, to the exclusion of most everything else. I have had an awful taste in my mouth for a while (since starting) and now my nursling also has awful breath since last night.

I am taking Zyme Prime with meals and Wobenzyme in between. I have ordered Pepizyde and No Fenol, although I am still waiting on them. Oh, and I started eating cooked prunes in the evening to see if that would help. I did try orange juice one morning, but it didn't make me feel great.

I pulled out the book again today to see if I could find more information about how to proceed. I read that the marker to continue with more and different foods is diarreha, and that raw fruits and veggies can have a laxative effect, therefore they need to be cooked. So what about someone like me, who pretty much never has loose stool? I did add a few black currants that I have from my garden to my yogurt today, just to see how that would go.

I am despairing a bit.
Moonshine, I've battled constipation for the entire 7-8 weeks I've been on the diet. The only way I've been able to keep it under control (a BM every 2-3 days) is to have a little bit of celery every day, which is less than helpful for you if you aren't yet tolerating celery. I'll be curious to hear how the prunes do for you, becaues I could could use some help with this myself.

I have a question of my own: I've determined pretty definatively that cow yogurt is not going well. I've bought some goat's milk to make goat yogurt, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the starter. Any commercial goat yogurt for starter has tapioca in it (SCD illegal). I would just go with the freeze-dried Yogourmet starter, but I'm so confused about the ingredients in it: for one, it has sucrose in it. Is this starter legal because of the assumption that the disaccharide will get digested during the culturing?
And what I'm really confused about is the starter also has powdered Skim Milk, presumably from cow dairy. Those of you who have only done well on goat yogurt, did you do well in spite of using a starter like this? I can't help but think that I won't do well on this yogurt because it still has cow protein in it. I'm so frustrated.....I'm taking bone broth every day, but it's such a leap of faith that this liquid that I made myself from bones is giving me the calcium that I only associated with yummy, white dairy products.......:
Sorry to ask this when I'm certain that this has been discussed before - when will they bring back the search function? :-(
#671 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 03:54 PM

Yea, I have been taking magnesium. Maybe not enough. Enema? No, haven't gotten there yet. :

I just found out today that I can get raw milk for something like $4.50 a 1/2 gallon. This seems like a reasonable price. There is a bit of driving involved, but I guess that figures. They have other products -- pastured eggs, other raw milk products. Worth it for the healing properties? Right now I am using pasturized non-homogenized organic milk (which I get for a little less than $4.00 a half gallon, incidentally).
#672 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000
Sorry to ask this when I'm certain that this has been discussed before - when will they bring back the search function? :-(
It's going to be disabled until MDC moves to a new server. It is rumored that this will be around the 4th of July.
#673 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 04:35 PM

We just ate some of our yogurt. It is runny, and a little bit curd and whey ish, but very tart. We used raw goat.

In order to get it so they would eat it, dd thought up putting a TON of honey and cinnamon, peach juice, and peaches in it....but it was still tart. We blended it with ice to make it less runny.

What other things work well to turn the tartness down?
#674 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Yea, I have been taking magnesium. Maybe not enough. Enema? No, haven't gotten there yet. :

I just found out today that I can get raw milk for something like $4.50 a 1/2 gallon. This seems like a reasonable price. There is a bit of driving involved, but I guess that figures. They have other products -- pastured eggs, other raw milk products. Worth it for the healing properties? Right now I am using pasturized non-homogenized organic milk (which I get for a little less than $4.00 a half gallon, incidentally).
Definitely worth it! You might want to get the pastured eggs, too, if possible--I so wish I could get pastured eggs but I can't find any around here.
#675 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000
I have a question of my own: I've determined pretty definatively that cow yogurt is not going well. I've bought some goat's milk to make goat yogurt, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the starter. Any commercial goat yogurt for starter has tapioca in it (SCD illegal). I would just go with the freeze-dried Yogourmet starter, but I'm so confused about the ingredients in it: for one, it has sucrose in it. Is this starter legal because of the assumption that the disaccharide will get digested during the culturing?
And what I'm really confused about is the starter also has powdered Skim Milk, presumably from cow dairy. Those of you who have only done well on goat yogurt, did you do well in spite of using a starter like this? I can't help but think that I won't do well on this yogurt because it still has cow protein in it. I'm so frustrated.....I'm taking bone broth every day, but it's such a leap of faith that this liquid that I made myself from bones is giving me the calcium that I only associated with yummy, white dairy products.......:
My best suggestion is to go ahead and use commercial goat yogurt as a starter--at least you know it's all goat, and the little bit of tapioca isn't going to kill the diet, IMO. Then if you tolerate it okay after awhile you can go ahead and buy the expensive non-dairy yogurt starter. Or you could try using probiotic caplets to start your yogurt...there's more info on that on the priobiotic thread that's somewhere in this forum.
#676 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestbirths
We just ate some of our yogurt. It is runny, and a little bit curd and whey ish, but very tart. We used raw goat.

In order to get it so they would eat it, dd thought up putting a TON of honey and cinnamon, peach juice, and peaches in it....but it was still tart. We blended it with ice to make it less runny.

What other things work well to turn the tartness down?
For cow yogurt when it's too tart I drain out the whey. The creamy yogurt that's left seems much less tart to me.
#677 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 05:42 PM

Quote:
For cow yogurt when it's too tart I drain out the whey. The creamy yogurt that's left seems much less tart to me.
Same here. I LOVE all the new things I'm learning to do with my whey though!
#678 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 06:04 PM

Constipation

When I did the candida diet, I had terrible constipation. My chiropracter directed me to drink a gallon of water a day for a week. That took care of it. After that I drank normal amounts (probably 10 cups or so a day).

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#679 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Same here. I LOVE all the new things I'm learning to do with my whey though!
Like what?

ETA: This brilliant post was my 1000th. :
#680 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 08:29 PM

Anyone know what the carbohydrate amount in yogurt prepared the SCD way is? Would it be the same or similar to store-bought yogurt or different?
#681 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 08:39 PM

Quote:
ETA: This brilliant post was my 1000th. :
Woohoo!!!!!!!!

Any senior title ideas?

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#682 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 08:40 PM

Oh man, I just hit 3,000 and missed it. Without the search feature, I don't think I can figure out which one it was. Probably something ridiculous.

#683 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 08:54 PM

haha. How about this for a senior title: "huh?"

I'm learning to make fermented stuff NT style using my whey. Just a newbie.
#684 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
haha. How about this for a senior title: "huh?"
What are you saying, I don't have a clue??
#685 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 11:03 PM

I'm sure my 1000th had one of these words in it:
gas
bloating
poopy

Oh, and I'm sure it was a question related to one of the above.

Couldn't have been some profound knowledge I was passing along on, say, the GD thread or anything . . .
#686 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_in_Maine
Hey all,
First of all I just want to add that since joining the Mothering forum I have learned tons and feel more empowered in helping my daughter and keeping my children healthy! Thanks to those ladies that have helped me find my answers and helped me to feel welcome!
My daughter has Autism and will be 3 in August. She is on GFCF diet (has been since August '05 except when we went off at Thanksgiving to see how she would react..a week later we were back on it!) She has eczema off and on and right now it is pretty bad on her legs and arms. I suspect yeast and really want to start to clean out her system..what are my steps and what are the products I need?
Also I am breastfeeding newborn twin boys. If I have yeast in my system I could possibly be passing it to them. How can eliminate yeast in my breastmilk and if they already have yeast, get rid of theirs as well?
One of the twins has pretty wet BM's, and the other burps a rotten egg smell. Could these be signs of Yeast? I'm thinking yes and as you can imagine I am severely paranoid my two boys will develop Autism as well and want to do everything I can...
Thanks for your help!
Welcome and !

It could not just be yeast but also bad bacteria. In any even, a gut flora imbalance. Very, very common in ASD kids. Is she vaxed? Are you vaxing your boys?

The thing with the GFCF diet is that there is still a lot of carbs that the yeast/bacteria can be feeding off of. This is the ASD info on the SCD, see what you think:

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...ism/autism.htm
(the links are green kind of hard to see)
www.pecanbread.com a CF version of SCD for ASD kids

Have you tried any biomedical approaches with your DD?
This might be a good place to start reading there are sooo many links, although with twins you really have your hands full!!
http://www.danasview.net/index.htm
What do you think about chelation?

Do you have yeast symptoms? You can do SCD as well certainly. There are only a few things bf'ing mamas can take. The other issue to think about is optimal nutrition re: protecting your sons. There are a couple very interesting threads in the Vaccinations forum "Causes of Autism" and "Nutrition/Immunology 101".
#687 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose_lee
Hi! I'm new to this, but I'm already on a super restricted diet due to lots of food sensitivities in ds (five months). I figure I might as well knock out the few things I had left My question is...is there a way to tell if I TRULY TRULY have either a leaky gut or yeast problems? I think I have some of the symptoms but I'm not sure? If I do, I'm wondering if it was what caused ds to be sensitive to so many things I've been going through the thread and some mamas are talking about their kids having these problems and it breaks my heart! Will ds have issues when he starts solids!? It's one thing if it's me, but ds..... : Have I ruined his system? I am, of course, willing to do the diet even if I can't find out for sure...just in case. But is there some way to tell? Someone told me about spitting in a cup of water to tell if it's yeasties....I'll try that in the morning. Any other more "official" way or do I just have to try the diet? I've been taking some probiotics for the past couple of days and ds and I have some gas for sure (he's so funny!) Is that die-off? Does that prove something?

Hello Kombucha question mama

Now that I see this I wouldn't do it if I were you. It can be quite strong.

Well coming from someone who wrecked their DS's digestion I can say I've certainly learned a lot in the process!

Fruits, veggies, meats, eggs and fats for first year only, with dairy towards the end of the year, yogurt butter first and go carefully with it if suspect intolerance. NO horrid cereal. They don't have the enzymes to digest it and it ends up feeding the bad gut bugs.

The most "official" way to tell what is going on with your gut is stool testing or the OAT which is a urine test ...reportedly more accurate than stool but hard to do with kids. You could do the OAT. See the Healing the Gut Tribe sticky for more info. It will show if there are yeast and bacteria issues.

Or just go by your other symptoms and stools.

Yes die off can cause gas, it could indeed be significant.
#688 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Right, encopresis. I just got to that part of the book where she talks about that possibility. Is it possible that at 10 months old - this has been happening since around 6 months - he could have this? He is still primarily BF for nutrition, too.

And what is the best thing to do for it? I hate relying on senna like we are. I've tried pear juice and it seems not to make much difference.
Yes I absolutely think all constipation is a gut flora issue and its likely that the senna is doing something to his flora as well, I don't know much about it though.

Have you tried magnesium? Natural Calm makes "Baby Calm" but I don't know how it's different. Mag. is fantastic for constipation.
#689 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
JaneS (or anyone who knows)...can you address this:

This drift toward a high-protein diet further drives the effect of a decrease in tryptophan and net result of increased hyperness. Diets high in animal meats tend to create more toxins in the gut and some of those toxins are phenols. So the total phenolic load is increased. You are also removed a major source of magnesium which promotes calming. Thus, this correlates with the effect some people see of going on a GFCF diet and after awhile the person "becomes" reactive to phenols and "regresses". So you start removing phenols, probably more meats are introduced, and the cycle continues. By adding in enzymes and returning to a more balanced diet that includes whole-grains and possibly milk, you are correcting a magneisum deficiency, reducing the total phenolic load and favoring more serotonin production...all of these promote calming.

It's a quote Annikate posted on the Nutrition & Immunology thread in Vaxes (quote is from www.enzymestuff.com).

It seems logical to me that the toxins that are referred to come from feedlot animals, not pastured/natural/organic animals, but I'd like to get some more information on this as the diet I'm doing now is very high in protein and very low in carbs.
No the toxins she refers to are the byproducts by not digesting the protein fully.

I completely believe this is DS's issue. His meat intake went up, he couldn't digest it all fully. Presto, bacterial problems. He's always had sleeping issues so that's nothing new.

We are having some luck now. Second week of L. Reuteri cultured in yogurt and sometimes taking the capsules. Started Biocidin for his bacterial issues with a big noticable change in current sleeping problems.
#690 of 770 Old 06-27-2006, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
Does heartburn mean I have enough stomach acid? I have been wondering if low stomach acid is why I can't tolerate the enzymes. I've had heartburn badly yesterday and today.
It's more complicated than that. It's definately related to gut flora and die off as I had a transition phase where I had this all the time and then it resolved. I know I've read more about it but I forget where ... it might come to me later.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page