Healing the Gut Tribe - June!!! - Page 25 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#721 of 770 Old 06-29-2006, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yeah i was kind of thinking that too....
#722 of 770 Old 06-29-2006, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine
However, I don't believe that either water or milk kefir is SCD legal.
Elaine did not say ILLEGAL but she said to use with caution, especially if yeast is a problem for you. Read here http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...e/kb/kefir.htm
#723 of 770 Old 06-29-2006, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
Are you sure almond milk isn't allowed on the SCD for 6 months? If almond butter is allowed pretty much right away I don't see why almond milk wouldn't be allowed.
Just checking pecanbread to see what I can try next, and read that nut butters and nut milk are both in Stage 2. But I would assume that you need to make your own milk, as commercial stuff has lots more in it than just almonds and water.
#724 of 770 Old 06-29-2006, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Mine are water kefir grains.

I just remembered someone told me I could make them like this, which would mean no sugar:
The kefir is super easy. 1/2 grape juice 1/2 water only fill the bottle 2/3 or less full. Let it sit out for 12 or more hours in a warm place. Strain out the grains and make more kefir with them. Put the juice in the fridge and drink it or let it sit to build up fizz.

If no one sees a problem with that, I'll just do that. Now I just have to find some grape juice that's legal. I looked at Welch's (which is supposedly good) and it was from concentrate and had all kinds of not good stuff in it

Or maybe I could get some milk kefir grains and use goat's milk (I can have that...)
I don't think I have really strong symptoms of yeast, but suppose I shouldn't drink too much at first...

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#725 of 770 Old 06-29-2006, 07:11 PM

Took dd to her 2nd cst treatment today. I'm feeling much more hopeful! She was much more cooperative and she got a lot done. She thinks that she may not need to do as many sessions as she first thought. Also she gave me a stool test kit for dd. It will be $85 for them to test for yeast and bacteria. She didn't think that the whole comprehensive test was necessary for dd. She however does think it is a good idea for me so I think I'm gonna do that too. I've gotta get someone to order it. It is nice going to a naturopath who works with a Dr. She can get him to sign off on any tests she wants to run. My test will be $175. (just in case anyone is looking into this and wants to know prices) It is through Genova (used to be Great Smokies).

She also has a suppliment, only available to Dr's that she wants dd to take. She actually plans for me to take it and get it to her that way. I'll post more when I know more. She is supposed to e-mail me details tomorrow. I'm so excited and hopeful, finally. Of course she didn't nap today and that left me a little cranky.: But typing this update has reminded me of why I was in a pretty good mood before that.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#726 of 770 Old 06-29-2006, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose_lee
How did you know that you/your children had some sort of yeast/bacteria/leaky gut problem? Did you take a test? Were there certain symptoms you paid attention to? Did you just KNOW?
I had IBS since getting a bunch of mercury fillings in my teeth and several rounds of antibiotics due to a root canal from hell. Gas, bloating, insomnia, anxiety.

More antibiotics including 2 weeks of Cipro due to incompentent GP. Symptoms got worse.

Thrush off and on while breastfeeding. DS red face at birth and very unsettled. He could not tolerate cereal as first food, reacted with full body eczema and a horrible diaper rash.

Did an Elmination Diet and symptoms got better so thought it was food allergies. Nope, symptoms came back. Roller coaster up and down. Till I started drinking raw milk kefir, that was a substantial change. SCD was even more fantastic.

As far as DS goes, his stools tend to be mushy and really stinky. He has sleeping problems similar to what I used to have, difficulty calming down. In the past, during certain bad times when his digestion was particularly bad we've had classic autistic symptoms such as hand flapping, toe walking and other sensory issues like needing deep pressure. Disappeared when gut got better. We've had stool tests done on him twice showing bacterial problems. And a hair test showing mineral problems and high metals.
#727 of 770 Old 06-29-2006, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth
Question for JaneS (or anyone else who knows the answer): when culturing L. reuteri, do you mix it with the other probiotics, or do it by itself?
I mix it with DS's regular yogurt culture right now b/c I want the consistency of it. Culturing Reuteri by itself produces a thin cultured milk, it won't gel.
#728 of 770 Old 06-29-2006, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
I'm so excited and hopeful, finally. Of course she didn't nap today and that left me a little cranky.: But typing this update has reminded me of why I was in a pretty good mood before that.
I'm so sorry but I have to giggle at this b/c it's just EXACTLY what I would say!!! I've so been there

Post about your new treatment when you know.
#729 of 770 Old 06-29-2006, 11:11 PM

Our CST is causing a rollercoaster ride for dd2 this week. She's been up every 2 hours at night all week long. DD1 is back to constipated again and I (stupidly) tried brown rice without cooking it NT style and am in rough shape myself. It sucks. : (At least I think it's the CST - - it could be any number of things that I still cannot figure out.

Ironically, I sent off for a stool test for dd1 last night. All she wants to eat this week is fruit. (Another sign of yeast right?)

I go back and forth between thinking dd1 is *worse* than dd2 and then the next day I'm more worried about dd2 than dd1. Thank God dd1 is a relatively good sleeper otherwise they'd have to put me away somewhere and I"m not kidding.

I'm sick of trying to fix everybody.
#730 of 770 Old 06-29-2006, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Our CST is causing a rollercoaster ride for dd2 this week. She's been up every 2 hours at night all week long. DD1 is back to constipated again and I (stupidly) tried brown rice without cooking it NT style and am in rough shape myself. It sucks. : (At least I think it's the CST - - it could be any number of things that I still cannot figure out.

Ironically, I sent off for a stool test for dd1 last night. All she wants to eat this week is fruit. (Another sign of yeast right?)

I go back and forth between thinking dd1 is *worse* than dd2 and then the next day I'm more worried about dd2 than dd1. Thank God dd1 is a relatively good sleeper otherwise they'd have to put me away somewhere and I"m not kidding.

DD just woke up after being asleep for 1.5 hours. It is gonna be a long night. At least when she doesn't get a nap the initial going to sleep is quick and easy. (it is the couple of hours leading up to it that are hell)

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#731 of 770 Old 06-30-2006, 12:36 AM

Quote:
The kefir is super easy. 1/2 grape juice 1/2 water only fill the bottle 2/3 or less full. Let it sit out for 12 or more hours in a warm place. Strain out the grains and make more kefir with them. Put the juice in the fridge and drink it or let it sit to build up fizz.
I just posted on your other thread. But this proportion sounds fine. You can play with it a bit and see what works. You can also use any fruit juice, not just grape.

Quote:
Or maybe I could get some milk kefir grains and use goat's milk (I can have that...)
I posted about this too with moonshine's question -- is kefir SCD legal? My problem was candida and I actually found that both yogurt and kefir worked well for me but I did let my kefir stew until it was basically vinegar.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#732 of 770 Old 06-30-2006, 09:22 AM

Has anyone found a pecan butter brand that is SCD legal? I need some relief from all of this cooking and food prep!

Pattyla, I wanted to send you a Baby steps, baby steps......
#733 of 770 Old 06-30-2006, 11:16 AM

I've been buying nut butters & other stuff here.
#734 of 770 Old 06-30-2006, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Is this a coincidence?

Well, I have only been doing SCD for about 4 days or so but for the last two nights ds (5 months) slept better! He slept four hours in a row, nursed, slept another four hours before waking every hour until morning. He did this two nights in a row! This is GOOOOOD! He never sleeps that long in a row!

Then yesterday I had two pieces of millet bread b/c I was worried about having too much die-off too quickly (don't know if that's what I was supposed to do....?) And last night he slept horribly! HORRIBLE! We are both exhausted.

Just seems like some people have been mentioning how their children are sleeping better or worse etc. Does this really effect how they sleep? Maybe it was just a coincidence, but those long four hour sleeps were nice No more millet bread for me!

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#735 of 770 Old 06-30-2006, 01:24 PM

We're day 17 now. My ds had NOT been sleeping as well as usual in the first several days of this diet. Then we discovered Epsom salt. We have taken a 20 minute soak with 1 1/2 cups of Epsom salt in our bath for the last 4 nights, just before our bedtime routine. We are both sleeping like a rock. I feel great when I wake up but that goes away about noon time. Then I feel pretty crappy. I keep chalking it up to die off but who knows. Only time will tell I guess.
#736 of 770 Old 06-30-2006, 02:44 PM
EBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
Next morning-DD is still not eating, I even tried mashed bananas, egg yolks, squash, even the NT recommended commercial formula. She doesn't want to eat. As for nursing, the sleep-nursing didn't work this time. She sucks once or twice then pushes away, and cries. Will see ped to rule out infections... I'll check the bf thread for nursing strikes... thanks for your help. I'm just a nervous wreck right now.
Update: It's been 6 days since DD hasn't been nursing. It turned out she has hand, foot and mouth disease (virus) and she has sores on her tongue and throat. Poor thing, it must have hurt her so bad to give it up... She is eating some solids now and water but still refuses to nurse. I think she already made the association between breast and pain, so I don't know if she'll go back to nursing when her mouth is healed. I hope my milk will come back if she does. I wasn't planning on weaning her at 1 yr.
#737 of 770 Old 06-30-2006, 03:13 PM
EBG

Somebody was asking about vitamin E. There is something called Unique E. by A.C. Grace company. It's soy free. Most if not all other brands are made from soy and in soybean oil...
#738 of 770 Old 06-30-2006, 03:30 PM

Update: We drained the whey out of our yogurt and it was less tart. We use the same drained yogurt for both dccc and yogurt just fine except for dh reacted negatively.
Dh has migraine, diarrea, and intestinal pain...and thinks the yogurt is playing a role. Although it could be dieoff, correct?

I was thinking it is the starter he is reacting to, and not the yogurt. We used yogourmet. I needed to use a d-lactate free starter for ds anyway, and was going to try custom probiotics, but dh muscle tested that the custom probiotics starter wouldn't work for him but the progest would work for both of them. I don't know why this is, does anyone have ideas.

Is the pro gest starter a d-lactate free starter? What are all of the yogurt starter options? Does anyone have the link to the starter called pro jest or pro gest. I can't find it.

The lady that sells us our goat milk believes strongly in a product called threelac. Does anyone have experience with this product? Seems different than houstons enzymes in that it is three different strains of bacteria that feed on yeast.
#739 of 770 Old 06-30-2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate

I hear you!

DS cannot really tolerate any fruit well except bananas and cooked pears. I cannot even tell you how devasting that is in summertime. If something doesn't change fast on that front I'm going to be committed myself.
#740 of 770 Old 06-30-2006, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla

DD just woke up after being asleep for 1.5 hours. It is gonna be a long night. At least when she doesn't get a nap the initial going to sleep is quick and easy. (it is the couple of hours leading up to it that are hell)
It's really quite amazing how our babes are so similar. I know exactly how you feel, exactly. Hang in there. .
#741 of 770 Old 06-30-2006, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
I posted about this too with moonshine's question -- is kefir SCD legal? My problem was candida and I actually found that both yogurt and kefir worked well for me but I did let my kefir stew until it was basically vinegar.
Kefir is sort of legal, link further up to info on BTVC site. Dairy needs to be cultured for 48hrs is my understanding.

Although that link says Sacc. Boulardii is illegal and it's not, Elaine changed her mind on this beneficial yeast due to studies with HIV/AIDS patients.
#742 of 770 Old 06-30-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Just seems like some people have been mentioning how their children are sleeping better or worse etc. Does this really effect how they sleep? Maybe it was just a coincidence, but those long four hour sleeps were nice No more millet bread for me!
Absolutely and my experience was exactly the same. I had anxiety and insomnia and nightwaking coinciding with when digestive problems were the worst (and when I had thrush while bf'ing so I know positively it was all connected).

The explanations for this may be several:

-Neurotoxins excreted by bad bacteria/yeast.

-Nutritional deficiencies caused by inability to absorb or break down specific nutrients (b vits, magnesium, amino acids for ex. )

-Interference by both of the above with production of neurotransmitters in the gut that the brain runs off of. The gut manufacturers all of them for the brain.
#743 of 770 Old 06-30-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
Update: It's been 6 days since DD hasn't been nursing. It turned out she has hand, foot and mouth disease (virus) and she has sores on her tongue and throat. Poor thing, it must have hurt her so bad to give it up... She is eating some solids now and water but still refuses to nurse. I think she already made the association between breast and pain, so I don't know if she'll go back to nursing when her mouth is healed. I hope my milk will come back if she does. I wasn't planning on weaning her at 1 yr.
Wow, at least you figured it out, the poor bunny!!! Give her vit. A and C if you can. I'm sure your milk will come back and I hope she will be interested again when she's better, have you tried pumping?
#744 of 770 Old 06-30-2006, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestbirths
Update: We drained the whey out of our yogurt and it was less tart. We use the same drained yogurt for both dccc and yogurt just fine except for dh reacted negatively.
Dh has migraine, diarrea, and intestinal pain...and thinks the yogurt is playing a role. Although it could be dieoff, correct?

I was thinking it is the starter he is reacting to, and not the yogurt. We used yogourmet. I needed to use a d-lactate free starter for ds anyway, and was going to try custom probiotics, but dh muscle tested that the custom probiotics starter wouldn't work for him but the progest would work for both of them. I don't know why this is, does anyone have ideas.

Is the pro gest starter a d-lactate free starter? What are all of the yogurt starter options? Does anyone have the link to the starter called pro jest or pro gest. I can't find it.

The lady that sells us our goat milk believes strongly in a product called threelac. Does anyone have experience with this product? Seems different than houstons enzymes in that it is three different strains of bacteria that feed on yeast.
Progurt is the dairy free starter:
http://www.giprohealth.com/Merchant2...y_Code=ProGurt

I have no clue what this d-lactate free thing is all about. What I had read is that the issue is the toxins from bad bacteria, not the good ones.

Threelac is an MLM and way expensive so that always made me wary of people saying they loved it. I just don't know what to think about it. It's over $1/packet with shipping and suggested beginning use is 5 packets a day for a month!

Quote:
Threelac
Ingredients: Spore Forming Lactic Acid Bacteria (Lactobacillus Sporogenes), Lemon Juice Powder, Refined Yeast Powder, Castor Oil, Spore Forming Bacteria (Bacillus Subtilis), Lactic Acid Bacteria (Streptococcus Faecalis).
#745 of 770 Old 06-30-2006, 04:23 PM

BB,

Yes intestinal problems with yogurt can indeed by die off. It's suggested that one goes very slowly, since one teaspoon can contain more probiotics than a store bought capsule.

Speaking of Threelac, VSL#3 is another one I don't know what to make of.
http://www.vsl3.com/VSL3/default.asp
#746 of 770 Old 06-30-2006, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

So JaneS, are you going to be writing a book about this process? Because I'm thinking that like MT, with the amount of research you've done and what you've amassed, it wouldn't be a bad idea
#747 of 770 Old 06-30-2006, 04:25 PM

Whoever was mentioning that candida diet with fermented cabbage juice, could you please post link?

I was calling a cabbage juice slurpie in Allergies forum....
#748 of 770 Old 06-30-2006, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn
So JaneS, are you going to be writing a book about this process? Because I'm thinking that like MT, with the amount of research you've done and what you've amassed, it wouldn't be a bad idea
Thanks, maybe when my DS heals but that's not looking likely anytime soon. Until then, I don't know enough IMO.

Also many things like leaky gut and especially it's connection to bf'ing that is so theoretical at this point. Hard to claim a connection in print based on "gut feeling" and reading between the lines.
#749 of 770 Old 06-30-2006, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Also many things like leaky gut and especially it's connection to bf'ing that is so theoretical at this point. Hard to claim a connection in print based on "gut feeling" and reading between the lines.
True, but you could include this as a disclaimer up front and just not focus on the link to b'feeding. (For now anyway!) Maybe it'd spark some research in that area!
#750 of 770 Old 06-30-2006, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Whoever was mentioning that candida diet with fermented cabbage juice, could you please post link?

I was calling a cabbage juice slurpie in Allergies forum....
That was me...I can't post a link because the info is on a yahoo group. It's the candidasupport group. There is a ton of information in their files, though, on many different subjects. I can post the cabbage juice recipe, if you're interested, though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page