Forum Jump: 

#61 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate

ahem . . . she is a godess
My Puritanical roots are showing. I need to see my hairdresser.

Actually, I believe that our compartmentalizing is associated with our Western philosophy of good and evil. Have I mentioned my favorite book today? Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintance? It is about the Western cultural process of seeing everything as discrete *parts*, rather than as a wholebeing. It isn't unique to advertisers. It is our cultural need to define everything with myopic (read "scientific") examination of *parts* as that which defines the whole.

Pat, (it doesn't take much to get me started on this subject )

I am supposed to be cleaning the garage. :

I have a blog.
#62 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Goat yogurt is quite thin due to the casein protein molecules being smaller than cow's. They just cannot support a thick gel matrix that the probiotics make. However, it should be very tart to eliminate all lactose. Which starter are you using? I had a lot of problems with Progurt.

Orange veggies only effect stool color if you are not digesting them properly.
Great...so I shouldn't be eating squash, either? I've been making stir frys but had some carrots show up this morning so apparently I can't handle stir fried veggies, either--I stir fried them for like 15-20 minutes to soften them up, too. And if I'm not digesting squash, what are the chances I'm not digesting the well-cooked strawberries and rhubarb I use in a smoothie? They don't show up but they're pureed so they wouldn't.

I really don't think the goat yogurt is any tarter than plain commercial yogurt (I've only tried Stoneybrook Farm organic yogurt, though). I've used yogourmet starter and a commercial goat yogurt for starters.

If uncooked greens can irritate the gut, what about super green food powders? I was thinking about getting the GoL one eventually.
#63 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 03:44 PM

In the most recent issue of Science magazine, some scientists sequenced for microbes found in human feces (neither of the study individuals had been on antibiotics for at least a year). The human intestinal microbiota contains 10 to 100 trillion miocrorganisms and their collective genome contains at least 100 times as many genes as the human genome. They found an amazing array of microbe. They weren't sequencing the genomes of the microbes - they were, however, looking to see what genes are present, which microbial species/strains they might come from, and then mapping functions to those genes. Our gut flora contains genes for metabolism of glycans, amino acids and xenobiotics in addition to gene for methanogenesis and for the MEP pathway (the latter was better represented that previously known). They researchers plan to continue their work to look at the effect of age, diet and pathologic states on the gut microbiome of humans living in different locations. I wonder if they want volunteers?

Read with caution - it is filled with lots of "what's that?" terminology and it is really only preliminary data to a bigger broader study down the road (I find *that* particularly maddening).

Layperson news piece: http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...1-ArticlePage3

Link to abstract at Science magazine: http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten.../312/5778/1355

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#64 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 03:48 PM

Getting ready to go out of town for the weekend, so don't talk about anything exciting, m'K?

<sigh> I long for the days when a weekend getaway meant eating in restaurants all weekend and trying new foods. Today I have a cooler packed with plain grilled chicken, cod liver oil, my parade of supplements, fruit, veggies, roasted turkey, and.....salad dressing. So that I can behave like a normal person and order something in a restaurant without worrying about what crap is in it, I am bringing my own salad dressing. I have leaky gut, hear me roar!!!

Started thinking more about my little relapse - I wonder if it's related to my homemade butter not being drained well enough. It's awfully wet and the things I have cooked in it have stuck more than I would expect, indicating some very illegal buttermilk. I really hope it's not the cow yogurt......or the SCD illegal prenatals I'm taking that I would hate to give up because I love them :
#65 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
Ummm... Actually I've been having issues with blood in my stool for a while now. Always bright red so I assumed hemoriods and I've been too chicken to go to the GI Dr my internist refered me to. : My other idea was that it is my endometriosis invading my bowels since it is usually just at af time that I get it. In fact it happened the other day before af for the first time ever. Usually it is right after af leaves the building.
I guess that would certainly suggest a hormonal connection. But whether the pain and the blood and inflammation is all connected is the issue to try to find out about. Wouldn't you know if it was hemmoroids?
#66 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000
Getting ready to go out of town for the weekend, so don't talk about anything exciting, m'K?

<sigh> I long for the days when a weekend getaway meant eating in restaurants all weekend and trying new foods. Today I have a cooler packed with plain grilled chicken, cod liver oil, my parade of supplements, fruit, veggies, roasted turkey, and.....salad dressing. So that I can behave like a normal person and order something in a restaurant without worrying about what crap is in it, I am bringing my own salad dressing. I have leaky gut, hear me roar!!!

Started thinking more about my little relapse - I wonder if it's related to my homemade butter not being drained well enough. It's awfully wet and the things I have cooked in it have stuck more than I would expect, indicating some very illegal buttermilk. I really hope it's not the cow yogurt......or the SCD illegal prenatals I'm taking that I would hate to give up because I love them :
You really need to avoid suppliments with iron in them. Iron really feeds the bad guys and is really rough on your gut. I'm assuming your prenatal has iron?

I take a b-complex with extra folic acid instead of a prenatal. I take other stuff too but that is to keep those bases covered. I'm also trying to get up the courage to start putting my raw liver into my morning smoothie. When it first arrived I had to freeze it for the 14 days. It has now been about a month. Guess it is time to try it...

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#67 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I guess that would certainly suggest a hormonal connection. But whether the pain and the blood and inflammation is all connected is the issue to try to find out about. Wouldn't you know if it was hemmoroids?
Well my Dr looked and didn't see anything but she said it could be further inside. Also I tend to be itchy there but assumed that is the yeast.

our family is <>< and :
#68 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets
In the most recent issue of Science magazine, some scientists sequenced for microbes found in human feces ...

Layperson news piece: http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...1-ArticlePage3
Great find Jennifer! That is worth quoting here to save and to emphasize.

Quote:
Bacteria are so important to key functions such as digestion and the immune system that we may be truly symbiotic organisms -- relying on one another for life itself, the scientists write in Friday's issue of the journal Science.

Their findings suggest that studying bacteria native to our bodies may provide important clues to disease, nutrition, obesity and how well drugs will work in individuals, said the team at The Institute for Genomic Research, commonly known as TIGR, in Maryland.

"We are somehow like an amalgam, a mix of bacteria and human cells. There are some estimates that say 90 percent of the cells on our body are actually bacteria," Steven Gill, a molecular biologist formerly at TIGR and now at the State University of New York in Buffalo, said in a telephone interview.

"We're entirely dependent on this microbial population for our well-being. A shift within this population, often leading to the absence or presence of beneficial microbes, can trigger defects in metabolism and development of diseases such as inflammatory bowel disease."

Scientists have long known that at least 50 percent of human feces, and often more, is made up of bacteria from the gut. Bacteria start to colonize the intestines and colon shortly after birth, and adults carry up to 100 trillion microbes, representing more than 1,000 different species.

They are not just freeloading. They help humans to digest much of what we eat, including some vitamins, sugars, and fiber. They also synthesize vitamins that people cannot.
I often think that our gut bacteria has a lot to do with metabolism and why certain people can eat a lot and not gain weight and others can't.
#69 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
Great...so I shouldn't be eating squash, either? I've been making stir frys but had some carrots show up this morning so apparently I can't handle stir fried veggies, either--I stir fried them for like 15-20 minutes to soften them up, too. And if I'm not digesting squash, what are the chances I'm not digesting the well-cooked strawberries and rhubarb I use in a smoothie? They don't show up but they're pureed so they wouldn't.

I really don't think the goat yogurt is any tarter than plain commercial yogurt (I've only tried Stoneybrook Farm organic yogurt, though). I've used yogourmet starter and a commercial goat yogurt for starters.

If uncooked greens can irritate the gut, what about super green food powders? I was thinking about getting the GoL one eventually.
Really you don't need to avoid a food you aren't digesting. Just know it isn't doing much for you nutrient wise. If it is bothering you, then avoid it, if not and you like it and it makes your life easier, keep eating it and figure your gut will figure it out sooner or later. Mircomanaging on this diet will drive you nuts. The issue isn't the foods, it is your gut. This diet is giving your gut the break it needs to heal but healing doesn't happen overnight.

At least that is my take on this.

our family is <>< and :
#70 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000

You guys are cracking me up today!
#71 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 05:17 PM

Can someone please post the custard recipe (with DCCC) from BTVC? Just reordered the book since the first one got lost in the mail or some such thing, so hopefully will have it soon. But I do have some farmers cheese that I would like to do something with.

Actually, what else do you do with your DCCC?
#72 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamama
Mometezuma, your sig line is too long.
Tis not. It comes to one and three quarter lines on my screen.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#73 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 05:57 PM

I use DCCC in spinach pie - yum! And if I make my own dripped yogurt, I spread it on toast like cream cheese.

Here's the custard recipe:
2 eggs
1 c DCCC
2 tsp vanilla
8 tsp honey
dash nutmeg
pinch of salt
Beat uncreamed DCCC and eggs in blender or food processor until smooth.
Add honey, vanilla and salt and beat thoroughly.
Pour mixture into custard cups.
Sprinkle nutmeg on top of each cup.
Place custard cups in a pan 1/2 filled w/water.
Bake 350 for 20 min. Increase to 375 for another ten minutes until browned on top.

I did not use custard cups, but used a shallow ceramic pan and it turned out great.
#74 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 06:00 PM

having one problem...chocolate. any way to make it legal?
#75 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamama
Mometezuma, are you taking any anti-inflamatory drugs for pain?
I never take anything for pain. I put up with the pain.

Quote:
They can cause irritation of the bowel. Grapes are supposed to be high in natural anti-inflamatory properties. I know that they are very high in salicylates and we avoid them on the Feingold diet. Perhaps there is a correllation. I am assuming the blood is red, not old black tarry.
It was red. But I've not had it since. I've had it before though, and its always accompanies by acute pain, then gas in a big way.

Quote:
I hate to say it but the cure-all for gut pain is Pepto-Bismaul, on an acute basis only.
Which isn't something we have here, but I'd be reluctant to take it.

Quote:
I had Montezuma's Revenge in Cancun and thought I would die for the abdominal pain, gas, etc. The Pepto cured it with one or two doses.

Pepto does have some salicylates in it though and that can cause its own issues if taken regularly. But there is something in it that addressed my gas pains. It sounds like the mechanical fiber, or perhaps the pesticides are irritating the bowel, imnsho. Chilean grapes are very, very high in pesticides. So, we do not eat them from December to May when US grapes are unavailable. I'd quit the grapes and see if things improve.
Well, it was the grapes I fingered, so I stopped eating them, and though the issues are better ,there is still low-grade chronic pain.

Quote:
Another consideration is that fish oil does thin the blood (more free bleeding from irritated "wounds") and I don't know the doses that you are taking, or if that has changed recently.
I've not taken fish oil for a while now, because I was upping the raw...

The issues started not with the gut, but with huge pain last September, down the long bones of the thigh and upper arms, with pain in the muscles near those bones. Also I wake up with a very sore stiff back. And at times have pressure heads and feel as if my balance isn't right. I went to the doc then, and they ran every test they could think and it only came back with post menopause hormone levels (though my periods came back and are still regular). There was a lull comparative, then it came back again, and this time I think there is lymph involvement, as I have thickening under the right armpit, sensitivity on the inside of the right arm with a feeling of a "block" there, and a sense of fullness under the right jaw. Sometimes the nodes on the back of the neck feel the same way, as do the ones under the bra line.
Just to make things more interesting, I suspect I have a groin hernia.

Quote:
Oh, and you might try some "Gripe Water" which is just fennel and ginger. It is the best natural cure all for gut/stomach issues. Or, try adding feenel and/or ginger to the Green Glop. There are issues if you eat tons of ginger, I believe, but I don't think most people could stomach too much.
I can't eat much ginger, because my blood pressure crashes and its low enough as it is...

Quote:
You might also try massaging lavender in a clockwise direction onto the abdomen. I don't know if it is the lavender oil topically or the aromatherapy that has a positive effect on abdominal discomfort. I don't know acute homeopathy, but I am a big fan of that route too. It helps one to heal yourself.

I think it is the pesticides.

Pat
I think you could be right about the pesticides.

I've upped my vitamin C a bit, so we'll see what happens now...

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#76 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 06:14 PM

subbing

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#77 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 06:18 PM

Quote:

As much as it pains me to say to any woman, but I think your DH is right. (However, you have an exceptional one.)
I really hope so. However, I think there are other issues as well...

Quote:
I don't think a dr. would connect it with your green glop but I certainly would. The oxalic acid in raw beet greens, chard and spinach is very irritating to the digestive tract. I think it's indeed possible that you have eaten so much as to cause inflammation.

I would pull all those greens out and even the raw fruit for a while and stick to some foods that will be soothing to your gut and easy to digest. And some raw fats and cod liver oil to help heal. Let me know if you want to figure out some more foods that will help.
Okay, will do...

Quote:
I forget what your glop recipe consists of, but also greens in the Brassica family are best cooked or fermented to reduce goitrogens too.
For the last two nights I've wilted the spinach and whacked them into pumpkin soup made on a potassium broth... that doesn't seem to be too bad.

Quote:
I guess that would certainly suggest a hormonal connection.
What is the hormonal connection to the gut? I've not found that in the books I have... but being the nutrition expert, I'm sure you can tell me

#78 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 06:22 PM

Re the science article.
Quote:
"We're entirely dependent on this microbial population for our well-being. A shift within this population, often leading to the absence or presence of beneficial microbes, can trigger defects in metabolism and development of diseases such as inflammatory bowel disease."
Why is it, do you think, that doctors feel so blithely about prescribing antibiotics when so many of them trash the very thing your lives are dependant on

#79 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 06:24 PM

Just to show my ignorance, what does DCCC in the custard stand for?

#80 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara
Re the science article. Why is it, do you think, that doctors feel so blithely about prescribing antibiotics when so many of them trash the very thing your lives are dependant on
And don't you just love it... some of the microbes contain genes in the MEP pathway - one that they are now looking as a potential drug target for antibiotics. Moreover, the authors imply that one benefit of the future expanded study is yet more drug targets for antibiotics. Go figure.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#81 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Dry curd cottage cheese. AKA farmer's cheese or dripped yogurt.
#82 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Dry curd cottage cheese. AKA farmer's cheese or dripped yogurt.
Oh right. We call that Quark.

#83 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets
And don't you just love it... some of the microbes contain genes in the MEP pathway - one that they are now looking as a potential drug target for antibiotics. Moreover, the authors imply that one benefit of the future expanded study is yet more drug targets for antibiotics. Go figure.
And knowing so little about the FUNCTION of any of them, they plough on with dollar signs in their eyes?

#84 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 11:43 PM

Quote:
What is the hormonal connection to the gut? I've not found that in the books I have... but being the nutrition expert, I'm sure you can tell me
Oh geez... that's the thing about being called a god-dess... I'm now beholden to produce! :

I meant a hormonal connection with Patty's endrometriosis and gut pain. Endo can invade the intestines.
#85 of 770 Old 06-02-2006, 11:47 PM

And God-desses don't screw up as much as I have in the last 24 hours...

I'm running around like a nutcase trying to pack and cook food for vacation. And in the process have ruined a gallon and a half of goat yogurt and 4 very expensive cups of macadamia nuts.

Why can't I just learn to slooooooow down already.
#86 of 770 Old 06-03-2006, 12:14 AM

#87 of 770 Old 06-03-2006, 01:24 AM

Oh man, I hate it when Jane goes away.
#88 of 770 Old 06-03-2006, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Oh right. We call that Quark.
Hmmm, does that mean I can buy quark instead of dccc? I know that they sell quark at my coop, which seems to be much more in stock than the dccc.

And thanks for the custard recipe. Course, I see I don't have enough dccc to make it and the last 3 times I was at the coop then didn't have any more. :
#89 of 770 Old 06-03-2006, 03:00 AM

Alright, all of this enzyme stuff has me beyond confused and probably sad.
Background info. About 4 years ago I had NAET done for some excema that was related to an egg allergy (according to muscle testing). Excema cleared up, and I no longer had an egg intolerance. As far as I could tell, anyhow.
The last few months, I started into healing the gut, but not really hard core. I was using candidase and virastop for about 6 weeks, I did see an improvement, but couldn't really afford to keep up. Plus DD was really acting strange (hyper, sleeping issues), but that isn't really new for her
As I cut back on the enzymes, I started getting HORRIBLE stomach pains that would last 5 hours. It was gas, but really severe, like my stomach was completely rejecting the food I ate. Particularly first thing in the morning. I would vomit and that would cut the pain back to about 3 hours, but certainly would not get rid of it. As far as I can figure, it was all egg related. Since I have removed the egg from my diet, no pain.

SOOO, my question in point or whatever
is that did the NAET just make my body ignore the reaction to egg?? Then the healing re-activated it? Or did the enzymes damage my gut? Or am I just so messed up that there are no real answers?
I completely quit the enzymes last week, once the pain became a regular part of my day. I am scared to start on them again. I am also scared to eat anything new. And I am not eating SCD at all, more NT without meat now.
Sorry this is so long of a post/rant/question/breakdown! Any ideas????
#90 of 770 Old 06-03-2006, 09:33 AM

Mamajessica,

I just read on this thread I usually dont post but when i seen your post I had to respond cause I to have the same issues with my stomach that you have. I feel as if My food is rejected or just sits there and ferments. The amt of gas I get is unbeleiveable and hte pain from the gas and bloating is enough to make me NOT eat at all. I joked wiht my kids the other day when it was real bad that I was Baruka from Charlie and hte Chocolate facotry and was soon gonna blow up into a big HUGE ball. My stomach was rock hard at this point. I really dont kow where to start what to do. I cant do to the Dr cause I dont have insurance and cant afford for all the test they wasnt to run me through and worse I wouldnt take the MEDS any way so whats the point. I see a wonderful Chiro who is very very knowledgeable so he helps where he can I seen him yesterday and said my stomach and intestines felt inflammed and yesterday was a good day . I also have a problem with my illiosacral valve (sp). I just wanted to chime in and let you know you are not alone at all and I know how painful and frustrating it is.

Hugs
amy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page