Healing the Gut Tribe - June!!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 770 Old 06-04-2006, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
caedmyn,
I know nothing about bloody poop but maybe you should give the goat yogurt a little more time. (?) Maybe ff can help you out - they don't do dairy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 770 Old 06-04-2006, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
I really don't know at this point...I started doing goat yogurt 2 weeks ago. DD's eczema flared up again a week later...but a few days later two teeth popped up, so I don't know if the eczema flare-up is the yogurt or the teething. And now with the bloody poop...

I just remember something else that could be the cause of the bloody poop--I started Candidase in between meals a couple of days ago. I know enzymes can be irritating, so I wonder if that can be causing it. Although I have been doing enzymes with meals for about 6 weeks now and DD was okay with those. So the bloody poop could be goat yogurt intolerance...or the enzymes...or just general causes

I would stop the candidase and see what happens. That is what caused my middle of the night agony last week. DD never seemed to react to the enzymes but I sure do. And it seems like the longer I go the less of a dose it takes to make me react. Tonight I reacted to 1/3 a zyme prime so I'm quitting for good now.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#123 of 770 Old 06-04-2006, 11:37 PM

Didn't someone post something about three months into this being a time for a revisiting to reactions/die off or something like that? We are 3.5 months into this or so and I'm frustrated with our progress lately. I'm also missing potatoes.:

Oh and whoever posted about those Jennies Macoroons! YUM!!! THANK YOU!!! It was such a treat to eat a treat that someone else made. We finished the can of them in like 24 hours. Now I can't get any more cause I'm sure they have too much honey for us but it was fun while it lasted.

our family is <>< and :
#124 of 770 Old 06-04-2006, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
I would stop the candidase and see what happens. That is what caused my middle of the night agony last week. DD never seemed to react to the enzymes but I sure do. And it seems like the longer I go the less of a dose it takes to make me react. Tonight I reacted to 1/3 a zyme prime so I'm quitting for good now.
The problem is (although I guess it's really a good thing???) the bloody poop isn't very consistent. At the worst it was every 3 days. So unless she suddenly starts having bloody poop again every few days, or starts having it every day, stopping something isn't necessarily going to tell me anything. Actually DD reacts to enzymes and I don't. The first time I started enzymes with meals she didn't nap and was cranky until I stopped them. The second time her eczema flared up. So it's like, if I stop enzymes and/or yogurt, and the bloody poop doesn't come back, does that mean one of them caused it, or does it just mean that her gut still was somewhat inflamed in general and it was a more or less isolated incident? That's my problem...
#125 of 770 Old 06-05-2006, 12:07 AM

My die-off reactions came in waves. At first it was never-ending for about two months and then it was every couple of weeks for months.

I can eat grains now without being disabled, but I still feel over-stuffed and not quite right.

nut flour. Dang. That is expensive. I just ate produce and meat. So do you all have a garden or friends with one? I always liked the summer for saving money.

Magnesium: some people get relief in days, for others it takes months. A study of POWs found that it took one year.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#126 of 770 Old 06-05-2006, 04:11 AM

Just wanted to post a link to an interesting article that says that antidepressants can help prevent colitis, which is apparently more common among the depressed. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#127 of 770 Old 06-05-2006, 08:52 AM
EBG

Milk sensitive people, have you tried coconut milk yogurt? I'm thinking about giving it a try. I'll wait till I can find a legal c. milk, add honey and gelatin...
How does that sound?

Cost of diet:
Good quality meat and fish and butter, and fresh veggies (esp. organic) and special items such as tons of nuts, coconut oil, plus the supplements.... I'm spending at least 4 times as much on food as before -when rice,canned beans, vegetable oils and flour is so cheap... The Food giants sure know how to manipulate us into eating white flour, sugar and canola oil....
I don't get the expensive CLO, butter, Bariani olive oil etc etc...- I just can't afford it.
If I started on the raw milk path, it would also add to the budget... but my DH won't let me do that anyway.
#128 of 770 Old 06-05-2006, 08:54 AM
EBG

[QUOTE=Gale Force]My die-off reactions came in waves. At first it was never-ending for about two months and then it was every couple of weeks for months.

My die-off reactions are pretty much constant. I get relief maybe for a few days to a week at a time and then it gets worse again for weeks. It's been going on for 6 months.
#129 of 770 Old 06-05-2006, 10:14 AM

Whoever said die-off last two weeks is lying. At my two week point, I thought it would magically disappear, much like I thought my pregnancy fatigue would magically disappear in the second trimester. Neither happened.

Have you all gotten hooked up with local food co-ops? We have a friend who organizes one so we have been able to go through her. The cost saving is phenomenal. Jane posts about this one which is on the east coast and midwest. And this is the one I go through here in California. You might try calling one based on where you live and ask if there is a co-op near you (or a drop point in the case of United Buying Clubs) and get the contact info for the organizer.

Are any of you part of any other big co-ops like this?

In my co-op we can get just about any food item and organic choices that are often cheaper than conventional items around here. Bulk items are a really great price. So are packaged items it appears. I bet you all would save a lot on nut flours.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#130 of 770 Old 06-05-2006, 10:21 AM

Thanks mamas for the great tips. Annikate, I'll print that off for the Dr. as well, and take the book along.

Gale, my DD is eating well. She has a big appetite, and we only give her healthy food options. The only snack food she has is organic blue corn chips seasoned with sea salt Even that I don't allow her to overdose!

I don't know if this is just a rare incident, but I'm going to keep an eye on her stools, and journal them. I really need to get back in to journaling consistently, because they've helped me tremendously in the past. I don't know why I lack the motivate to do it, when I know how beneficial they are to me.

Re: Cost of diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
...almond flour! And we go through at least 5 pounds a week easy.
Quote:
Also just eating more fruits and veggies is more expensive than being able to fill up on cheap grains. 1 cup of uncooked rice costs me $.50 and could feed my family supper. 1 cup of uncooked zuccini is $2.00 and might make a serving for me. Eggs are cheap protein but when you are eating/using 1 dozen a day it really adds up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
Cost of diet:
Good quality meat and fish and butter, and fresh veggies (esp. organic) and special items such as tons of nuts, coconut oil, plus the supplements.... I'm spending at least 4 times as much on food as before
WOW! 4x the cost Is that consistent with everyone else on SCD?

Because SCD food is very easy to digest (like BM for a child!) I ended up eating a lot more just to stay satisfied. The amount of cooking really got to me as well. So the cost of buying the food is increased, and the cost of preparation is elivated too. Also, I felt I needed more tools to help make preparation easier -- it's not much fun -- not be mention draining -- to manually grate 4 carrots. I think I'll need to get a food processor.

What other tools does everyone here consider essentials on SCD?

I figured out that I wasn't eating enough carbs when I was on SCD intially, which is why I didn't feel enough balance, and my symptoms didn't improve drastically either. I subsisted on very little variety too. I just went with the chepest vegetables, instead o going with variety for more diversified nutrients.

Re: Supplements

I also still have very little supplements in my diet. I really feel the need for Mag. and I'd love to get the Brainchild vitamins and/or minerals for Galen. Given that he almost exclusively drinks mama milk (yes, at 20-months-old!), and mama is so depleted, I don't think he's getting sufficient from me. Any one have any thoughts on this?

Re: Enzymes

I'm nervous to think of enzymes again with all this talk of poor reactions to them. I'll field out the topic with the internist anyway and see where it goes. The toughest part of the appointment is making it clear to him that I'd rather approach healing through diet and supplements, not by treating symptoms through allopathic medicine. Also, the enzymes are expensive, and that's always a concern here, especially if I end up quitting them due to a reaction. Hey may be I could buy them second-hand from mamas here who don't use them any more

GTR!
#131 of 770 Old 06-05-2006, 11:09 AM

RE: co-ops/buying clubs:
I am in the process of starting a buying club through Ozark. Prices are good & they have a HUGE selection & lots of drop points.
#132 of 770 Old 06-05-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
RE: co-ops/buying clubs:
I am in the process of starting a buying club through Ozark. Prices are good & they have a HUGE selection & lots of drop points.
That's awesome! I had not heard of that coop, but I'm far from that area. How many families are you getting together? Have you figured out who is going to pick up the order and sort? In this coop of my friend, they rotate who sorts but one person places the order each time.

Anyone else with another coop?

#133 of 770 Old 06-05-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siana
I don't know if this is just a rare incident, but I'm going to keep an eye on her stools, and journal them. I really need to get back in to journaling consistently, because they've helped me tremendously in the past. I don't know why I lack the motivate to do it, when I know how beneficial they are to me.
Try not to worry too much and just watch. It may be fine and the stress isn't helping your gut. Keep being diligent about her diet in the meantime. My son goes through seasons where I just hold my breath but he has come out of them so far. And he's been so picky lately that it's hard to get any nutrition in him.

My latest trick is a "custard drink" (eggnog). I made custard for him but he wanted to drink it before it was baked, so it's started a new thing. 1/2 c raw milk heated to body temperature, 1 egg yolk (fresh, free range from the yard), a bit of honey and vanilla. Mix honey and yolk then add heated milk and vanilla. I wouldn't do this with a supermarket egg. In that case, I'd bake it. (To bake put in baking dish and set that baking dish in a bigger baking dish that has an inch or so of water. Bake at 350 for about an hour until fork comes out clean. With custard I use about 5 eggs and 2 cups of milk or a milk cream combo depending on what I have.)

After typing that I realize it's not SCD legal. You could use cultured milk. I haven't tried that.

#134 of 770 Old 06-05-2006, 12:09 PM

I just thought of something: if I am taking enzymes with every meal and still having issues with undigested food, does that mean the enzymes aren't working?

I am also spending more money on food now. I bought a lot of produce before, but I think I am buying more expensive stuff now--lots of avocados, for example, and before we ate a fair amount of potatoes and corn. I'm also buying about 6 dzn eggs a week instead of 2 dzn. I try to go easy on the nuts because they are so expensive. Last month I used about 2 lbs of almonds and 1 1/2 lbs of pecans. I'll probably use more this month, though.

I spend a fair amount on supplements, too, although I've actually found cheaper ways of doing a lot of them. I've found Enzymedica Digest Gold enzymes on eBay for 1/2 the price of buying them online, and I found a between-meals yeast killing enzyme that's similar to Candidase but almost 1/3 the price.

I was spending more time cooking in the beginning, although it wasn't so overwhelming for me because I was already used to a whole foods/NT style of eating. The biggest change was pretty much having to make every meal and snack from scratch as opposed to having muffins, bread, etc premade. I'm used to it, now, though. Actually it's kind of nice right now because DH is doing a low carb diet and is pretty much making his own food. Otherwise it would be a lot more work since I'd have to make a separate meal for him.
#135 of 770 Old 06-05-2006, 12:27 PM

I am very lucky and have a local coop here that we recently joined. I have found pretty much everything that I am looking for there, but not any nut flours. And I also go to our local green market. In the summer there is a stand with amazingly cheap produce. (like $1.50 for a huge bunch of carrots)

I switched to a mostly whole foods/very little grains and processed foods last summer, so I guess I got used to things then. Right now my sister is visiting us and I don't think that I have ever seen her eat so much. I am just watching her eat up all my produce, etc and a bit like It is one thing to give it to my DDs and DH doesn't ususally mess with my stuff, and I am just so not used to buying for another very hungry adult. Oh well, trying to take it all in stride.

On a happy note, my yogurt turned out a-ok. Had a big bowl of it this morning, and feeling tummy stuff, which I take to be a good thing.
#136 of 770 Old 06-05-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine
I switched to a mostly whole foods/very little grains and processed foods last summer, so I guess I got used to things then. Right now my sister is visiting us and I don't think that I have ever seen her eat so much. I am just watching her eat up all my produce, etc and a bit like It is one thing to give it to my DDs and DH doesn't ususally mess with my stuff, and I am just so not used to buying for another very hungry adult. Oh well, trying to take it all in stride.
Nice to know I'm not the only one who feels that way! When someone visits it's hard not to be like, "That's MY food!".
#137 of 770 Old 06-05-2006, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
I found a between-meals yeast killing enzyme that's similar to Candidase but almost 1/3 the price.
Would you mind sharing the brand of this. I was thinking that Candidase would be the (one of the) enzymes I would use... still learnin'. I am hoping my BTVC book comes today. Thanks!
#138 of 770 Old 06-05-2006, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencersmom
Would you mind sharing the brand of this. I was thinking that Candidase would be the (one of the) enzymes I would use... still learnin'. I am hoping my BTVC book comes today. Thanks!
It's Candizyme...I found it at www.vitacost.com, but you could check iherb.com and vitaminshoppe.com to see if they have cheaper prices.

I still haven't read the book But I am finally next in line at the library for it, so that should change soon.
#139 of 770 Old 06-05-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
That's awesome! I had not heard of that coop, but I'm far from that area. How many families are you getting together? Have you figured out who is going to pick up the order and sort? In this coop of my friend, they rotate who sorts but one person places the order each time.

Anyone else with another coop?
We do UNFI. Not very happy with them right now. We don't get a lot of what we order. They also don't have nut flour at all and every time I order whole nuts it doesn't come in. I get some stuff that way but it isn't always cheaper than at the store either, esp if it is something that trader Joes carries.

our family is <>< and :
#140 of 770 Old 06-05-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
Yep, we're going to take turns to pick up and sort. I'll be placing the orders but Ozark has software for you to use so it shouldn't be that much work. I'm waiting on the okay and then I can start using the software. We're starting off with about 5 or 6 families. Probably won't want it to get much bigger though.
#141 of 770 Old 06-05-2006, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
We do UNFI. Not very happy with them right now. We don't get a lot of what we order. They also don't have nut flour at all and every time I order whole nuts it doesn't come in. I get some stuff that way but it isn't always cheaper than at the store either, esp if it is something that trader Joes carries.
We use Azure Standard here and have that experience - but then, they only carry what is in season so that's why many times you'll orde something on the website and it won't be available. They don't have nut flours, but TJ's seems to have them fairly cheaply (at least comparatively).
#142 of 770 Old 06-05-2006, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
Milk sensitive people, have you tried coconut milk yogurt? I'm thinking about giving it a try. I'll wait till I can find a legal c. milk, add honey and gelatin...
How does that sound?
I used the coconut milk powder from wildernessfamily.com - it would have worked had it not been the first time i ever made yogurt. i ended up accidentally contaminating it - don't "peek" into the container to check if it is done or you'll risk ruining the batch as i did. i used the whole bag (about 1lb i think) to make 4 c. of yogurt and did get some good consistency. i think i may have let it culture too long too - i was following the cow's milk 24-hour protocol but i guess it doesn't need to culture that long.

i didn't add anything besides the yogourmet starter culture - and it did seem to get quite gelatinous just doing that.

not sure if the wildernessfamily.com coconut milk powder is SCD legal.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#143 of 770 Old 06-05-2006, 04:59 PM

I meant to mention. Did you know that Thai Kitchen makes coconut milk with just coconut and water in it? I ordered some through my co-op for this month. It isn't organic but it also doesn't have any illegals. I also read on their website that supply problems are why some of it has the illegals in it. You will have to check store to store to see what kind they have in right then. I'm sure it will change case by case.

Their web site is www.thaikitchen.com and it is the pure coconut milk. You can order direct from them if you want to.

our family is <>< and :
#144 of 770 Old 06-05-2006, 10:40 PM

Okay all you NT mamas, I know I can post this on the NT thread but am only lurking right now - - I can hardly keep up here!

I just seperated some yogurt & made whey and cream cheese. I did this once before and threw the cc away because it was too plain. What do I need to add to make it taste better? salt? honey?
#145 of 770 Old 06-05-2006, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I just seperated some yogurt & made whey and cream cheese. I did this once before and threw the cc away because it was too plain. What do I need to add to make it taste better? salt? honey?
I do both then make it into a dip. Some honey and cinnamon in it can make a nice fruit dip or spread, although I don't know if it's SCD legal- I'm just starting to learn.

I've got a lot of dip recipes on my website in my sig line. Again, I don't know about if they're SCD legal or not, but I can tell you they're all NT.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#146 of 770 Old 06-06-2006, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Okay all you NT mamas, I know I can post this on the NT thread but am only lurking right now - - I can hardly keep up here!

Add honey, put over a nut crust, let it set up in the fridge, and call it cheese cake.

#147 of 770 Old 06-06-2006, 04:21 AM

Caedmyn, I hope you figure out the bloody poop thing. Is your dd allergic to cow's milk or just intolerant of it? Just wondering. I know that goat's milk is supposed to be easier to digest than cow's milk. But 85-90% of people (I forget the exact statistic) with an IgE mediated allergy to cow's milk will also be allergic to goat's milk.
Since the bloody poop isn't consistent, maybe you could stop one for a week or so and see what happens. Or stop both for a while and then add one back in.
I really hope you find your answers.
#148 of 770 Old 06-06-2006, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I'm actually not noticing much difference with the mag but I'm keeping it up. MT said that it took her a year to fix her mad defiency so I'm not giving up hope any time soon.
About two years ago, I went to a dance class and the warm up exercises nearly killed me with cramp and muscles that went into clench spasms.

I repeated those exercises last night with NOTHING, and I put that down to getting the magnesium right.

Quote:
I have laid off the green glop though in fear that it was contributing to my tummy troubles.
I've laid off too, and my stomach is better, but not completely right. I think that there was something in the green mix that my system didn't like, and suspect it was the spinach. I'll start again shortly, but use a simpler combination first up.

Quote:
I'm feeling off now and my hair is falling out so I think my thyroid is off again. Gonna get that checked tomorrow...
How did that check out?

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#149 of 770 Old 06-06-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:
You really need to avoid suppliments with iron in them. Iron really feeds the bad guys and is really rough on your gut. I'm assuming your prenatal has iron?
Oh Patty! I feel completely inadequate to make risk assessments anymore. I can feel okay about leaving out starches when I can see that they are doing as much (or more) harm as they might theoretically do good. But I'm so frustrated by the things that I do for myself to help keep myself in better health and then there are all of these asterisks that it's doing harm.
I don't know what decision to make about the prenatals - I don't feel confident about supplementing with only B-vitamins because it seems silly to think that that is the only vitamin/mineral that I'm lacking in giving up starches. On the other hand, I second-guess whether a multi can possibly help with all of the interactions.

I ended up deciding to consult with the nurse/Health Coach that I told you all about. I haven't had the chance to talk with her specifically about what tests she did on the samples I sent her, but she did say that I look okay on the yeast issue and the gut flora issue, but that my calcium reserves are low (surprise) and that I have signs of acidosis and slightly acidic pH. Some surprises, some not. I'll be curious to know what she tested for on the yeast, because I had a "medium" yeast reaction with the spit test.

Given all of the above (as well as indication from Aristocat that I did not clean my butter well enough of buttermilk - THANK YOU!) I'm inclined to stay the course I'm on as long as I recover from my relapse and continue to improve.

Sorry to take up space thinking out loud - I've appreciated when you ladies do the same, it helps me to see your thought process
#150 of 770 Old 06-06-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000
Oh Patty! I feel completely inadequate to make risk assessments anymore. I can feel okay about leaving out starches when I can see that they are doing as much (or more) harm as they might theoretically do good. But I'm so frustrated by the things that I do for myself to help keep myself in better health and then there are all of these asterisks that it's doing harm.
I don't know what decision to make about the prenatals - I don't feel confident about supplementing with only B-vitamins because it seems silly to think that that is the only vitamin/mineral that I'm lacking in giving up starches. On the other hand, I second-guess whether a multi can possibly help with all of the interactions.

I ended up deciding to consult with the nurse/Health Coach that I told you all about. I haven't had the chance to talk with her specifically about what tests she did on the samples I sent her, but she did say that I look okay on the yeast issue and the gut flora issue, but that my calcium reserves are low (surprise) and that I have signs of acidosis and slightly acidic pH. Some surprises, some not. I'll be curious to know what she tested for on the yeast, because I had a "medium" yeast reaction with the spit test.

Given all of the above (as well as indication from Aristocat that I did not clean my butter well enough of buttermilk - THANK YOU!) I'm inclined to stay the course I'm on as long as I recover from my relapse and continue to improve.

Sorry to take up space thinking out loud - I've appreciated when you ladies do the same, it helps me to see your thought process
If it helps any, generally the vitamins in prenatals/multi-vitamins are synthetic and probably not doing you a whole lot of good, anyway. I did take a multi-vitamin during my pregnancy but I don't plan on taking one next time, or a prenatal, either. I plan on doing a good quality multi-mineral supplement as well as a super green food, plus bone broths for calcium (assuming I still can't do dairy or can't find a raw milk source). Just my two cents worth to muddy the waters a little further!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page