Healing the Gut Tribe - June!!! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 770 Old 06-07-2006, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencersmom
First of all, thank you Pattyla, caedmyn and Shanna4000! That was precisely the information I was looking for. A couple more question, do you use raw milk, whole, goats? What kind of starter?

Pattyla, could you elaborate on "thrilled with the results"? Are you talking about texture, thickness, flavor?

Sorry for all the questions and TIA.
I've used pasteurized whole goats milk, and it came out runny but yougurty. I think I remember that I used a low-fat starter though :
I've also used whole raw cows milk and it set up a little bit better, with a whole yogurt starter.

I'm making some tonight with a lot of cream that needs to get used up - wish me luck!
#182 of 770 Old 06-07-2006, 10:35 AM

So Elaine says in BTVC that canned tomato juice is okay, but canned veggies like tomatoes is not. Anyone have any comments on this, such as why we would trust the juice label but not the tomatoes label?
#183 of 770 Old 06-07-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
First of all, thank you Pattyla, caedmyn and Shanna4000! That was precisely the information I was looking for. A couple more question, do you use raw milk, whole, goats? What kind of starter?

Pattyla, could you elaborate on "thrilled with the results"? Are you talking about texture, thickness, flavor?

nak
Raw cow
yogurmet starter
Love the texture thickness and flavor.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#184 of 770 Old 06-07-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:

I use raw goat's--it is very runny though. I've used yogourmet and commercial goat milk yogurt for starters.
#185 of 770 Old 06-07-2006, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000
So Elaine says in BTVC that canned tomato juice is okay, but canned veggies like tomatoes is not. Anyone have any comments on this, such as why we would trust the juice label but not the tomatoes label?
I have this issue with PB--they say not to use peanuts because starch is added during the roasting process, but how do they know starch isn't added during the PB making process? They don't--I asked.

On the juice, supposedly tomato products with the exception of juice need to be canned at a specific Ph so sometimes sugar is added to keep it at that ph.
#186 of 770 Old 06-07-2006, 12:03 PM

How much damage did I do to my yogurt if I forget to turn off the oven and the temp was around 160 all night??? Sigh. Yogurt seems so easy to make in theory. Why do the details always get so dicey?
#187 of 770 Old 06-07-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine
How much damage did I do to my yogurt if I forget to turn off the oven and the temp was around 160 all night??? Sigh. Yogurt seems so easy to make in theory. Why do the details always get so dicey?
You might have custard. Sorry you killed off the yogurt of course at that temp it is unlikely that anything else grew either so you could culture it again if you are feeling brave. (low temp pasturization is 161)

our family is <>< and :
#188 of 770 Old 06-07-2006, 02:21 PM

Very very interesting...apparently my yogurt didn't culture right--after about 18 hrs it was curds & whey! Doesn't matter anyhow cuz I wasn't going to eat it, but I guess I know a quick way to make whey if I ever want some!
#189 of 770 Old 06-07-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
Very very interesting...apparently my yogurt didn't culture right--after about 18 hrs it was curds & whey! Doesn't matter anyhow cuz I wasn't going to eat it, but I guess I know a quick way to make whey if I ever want some!
Thanks so much for the tomato juice advice - I can adhere if there's a reason behind it!

On the yogurt, did it smell like yogurt? I ask because my yogurt is pretty separated when it's done, very liquid on the top and solid on the bottom until I stir it up.
#190 of 770 Old 06-07-2006, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
You might have custard. Sorry you killed off the yogurt of course at that temp it is unlikely that anything else grew either so you could culture it again if you are feeling brave. (low temp pasturization is 161)
The yogurt I made the other day is gone because my sister, who as you may remember was helping me finish my food with unknown zeal, ate some. Well, she is having stomach issues too and I have convinced her of the merrit of cutting out grains. Except for burritos. I still cannot believe how much that girl can eat. I am now guest-free and headed to the store tomorrow to stock up. Maybe maybe my book will be here then too.
#191 of 770 Old 06-07-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
On the yogurt, did it smell like yogurt? I ask because my yogurt is pretty separated when it's done, very liquid on the top and solid on the bottom until I stir it up.
No it's definitely not yogurt. The curds are on top and the whey is on the bottom.
#192 of 770 Old 06-07-2006, 07:59 PM

Hi! Whew, I finally found a current Healing the Gut thread! I hope I can more or less keep up.

I am actually heading off to my first naturopathic doctor's appt this afternoon in Vancouver. Previously I'd seen a great one in CA. It seems I have leaky gut syndrome, but I've had varying digestive problems at least since I was 12. At the moment the worst symptoms are the joint pain, adult acne, and fatigue/lethargy. I don't have any DC's tummies to worry about, but I would like to start TTC in about a year (don't tell my DP yet!) and I would like to make sure my body is a healthy place to grow for a little one before that.

Okay, so I hope to stick around!
#193 of 770 Old 06-07-2006, 09:44 PM

I have a question for you all -- my dad has been having severe stomach pain and has been on a liquid diet for almost a week now. He's having it looked into, but in the meantime my mom has asked me for advice on what to feed him. I suggested smoothies made with a base of yogurt and maybe some protein powder. I'm going to the HFS for her tomorrow and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what to buy.

Thanks!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#194 of 770 Old 06-08-2006, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie
Hi! Whew, I finally found a current Healing the Gut thread! I hope I can more or less keep up.

I am actually heading off to my first naturopathic doctor's appt this afternoon in Vancouver. Previously I'd seen a great one in CA. It seems I have leaky gut syndrome, but I've had varying digestive problems at least since I was 12. At the moment the worst symptoms are the joint pain, adult acne, and fatigue/lethargy. I don't have any DC's tummies to worry about, but I would like to start TTC in about a year (don't tell my DP yet!) and I would like to make sure my body is a healthy place to grow for a little one before that.

Okay, so I hope to stick around!
Oh how I wish I'd done all of this before I wasted over 2 years TTC. Good for you for taking the bull by the horns, as it were.
#195 of 770 Old 06-08-2006, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama
I have a question for you all -- my dad has been having severe stomach pain and has been on a liquid diet for almost a week now. He's having it looked into, but in the meantime my mom has asked me for advice on what to feed him. I suggested smoothies made with a base of yogurt and maybe some protein powder. I'm going to the HFS for her tomorrow and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what to buy.

Thanks!
Bone broths would be really good. Jordan Rubin recommends goat yogurt for people with digestive problems, so you might get goat yogurt instead of cow, or even better, make your own if you have access to raw milk. I personally wouldn't do protein powder--generally when they make a powder out of things it causes a lot of damage and oxidation, plus most protein powders are made of soy which is very hard on your system unless it is properly prepared and fermented.
#196 of 770 Old 06-08-2006, 11:03 AM

Check this out
http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20060608...N5bnN1YmNhdA--

New Mama, I would do bone broths and lots of them.
#197 of 770 Old 06-08-2006, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
Check this out
http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20060608...N5bnN1YmNhdA--

New Mama, I would do bone broths and lots of them.
Hmmm wonder what would have happened if they had studied kids who were introduced to cereal grains after 1 or 2 years of age. And if they used real properly prepared grains instead of processed baby cereal crap.
#198 of 770 Old 06-08-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama

Thanks!
Raw milk. Raw milk fasts were used therapeutically a century ago and some people even lived exclusively on milk for years with good results.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#199 of 770 Old 06-08-2006, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
MT recommended (elsewhere and more than a few times) the book "Sexual Chemistry" by Ellen Grant. For those who are TTC, if you've ever been on the pill, you should absolutely read this book. Actually, if you're even remotely interested in the history of the pill, you should read this book - I can't put it down and have even been sneaking in my reading time at 6am . Dr. Grant presents various anecdotes about women's conditions on the pill and how they rebounded after stopping hormones. She also spells out clearly how exogenous (and endogenous) hormones interact with various minerals and vitamins. It may provide some extra guidance in the vitamin/mineral re-balancing ex-pill users need to (or should) do.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#200 of 770 Old 06-08-2006, 05:17 PM

BTVC says that "If a cheese is not a processed cheese (manufactured) but is a cheese that has had a bacterial culture involved with its production and is aged at least 30 days."

What rule of thumb do y'all use in restaurants? Do you assume manufactured unless proven otherwise? There's no way that a waitress is going to be able to answer my questions about this. But when I look at that definition, I would guess that only the plastic cheeses (velveeta, etc.) are illegal. Though the odds of most cheeses having an illegal anti-caking agent, on the other hand.....
#201 of 770 Old 06-08-2006, 06:06 PM

So I went to the naturopath dr appt yesterday. Have been really tired & down lately, and after an hour with a fast-talking energetic dr, I am wiped out! I mean still, the next day. Was nice to be reminded that low-energy is not just in my head, but is connected to digestion etc.

Meanwhile, I am supposed to cut out eggs & soy (allergic) 100%. Which means I have to home cook completely because one or the other is in almost everything. I think I will just make some lentil soup in the slow cooker and subsist on that & rice & yogurt for the weekend. Which means I need to get some regular yogurt too--love kefir but it goes bad too quick (if it isn't bad when I buy it).

I am also sposed to drink 2litres of water a day. Is this humanly possible? Won't I be engorged and peeing every 10 min? Usually I just get sick of drinking after a certain number of glasses.

Meanwhile I am sposed to be working on wedding organizing :
#202 of 770 Old 06-09-2006, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
Yes--I use a Salton yogurt maker you can get on Amazon. It doesn't have a thermometer but I experimented first with a glass jar of water and a thermometer until I figured out how to keep it in the right temperature range (100-110 degrees). It doesn't have an automatic shut-off, either. I use a glass canning jar instead of the plastic jug it comes with. I do have to keep the lid off to keep it at the right temperature, although others who have the same yogurt maker have said they keep the lid on Oh, and I do sometimes check the temperature of the yogurt after it is done culturing just to make sure everything is still working properly. I'll still eat if it is hotter than I wanted, I just figure it kills the enzymes in the raw milk.
My yogurt is just finishing up today and when I took the temp, it was 118-120F. Enzymes start dying at 118, right? I'll have to experiment to see how to keep it at 100-110. I like the idea of using the glass jar, but using a regular quart mason jar kept the lid on too loosely - is the wide mouth jar uniquely able to fit in the maker? I've thought about using the plastic container and leaving the top off like you do, but I can't imagine it gets up to 100 that way - you've tested it?
On a side note, I used a LOT of cream in this batch of yogurt, and it looks wonderfully yellow and creamy. Thought I'd let it go an extra 4-6 hours to be sure the lactose is all digested, but I wondered if there is any science behind my suspicion that it takes the cream longer to culture. Anyone?
#203 of 770 Old 06-09-2006, 09:53 AM

I showed my family the info on the SCD diet....

my mom lives with us, and she said "you need a food processor to do this diet".

I went out and bought one at BB&B, a 14 cup cusinart..whooohoo...I would have waited to get it for a couple weeks, but I went ahead and bought it....partially because my 12 year old told me I couldn't buy it because it was too expensive, and I guess I don't like being told what I can and can't do..

I made the bacon and cabbage reciepe from pecan bread yesterday and 3 out of 6 people ate it and liked it. (we have 8 in our family, but two weren't there)
#204 of 770 Old 06-09-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
My yogurt is just finishing up today and when I took the temp, it was 118-120F. Enzymes start dying at 118, right? I'll have to experiment to see how to keep it at 100-110. I like the idea of using the glass jar, but using a regular quart mason jar kept the lid on too loosely - is the wide mouth jar uniquely able to fit in the maker? I've thought about using the plastic container and leaving the top off like you do, but I can't imagine it gets up to 100 that way - you've tested it?
On a side note, I used a LOT of cream in this batch of yogurt, and it looks wonderfully yellow and creamy. Thought I'd let it go an extra 4-6 hours to be sure the lactose is all digested, but I wondered if there is any science behind my suspicion that it takes the cream longer to culture. Anyone?
I just used a regular mason jar. It seems like the lid fit but maybe I'd already done away with the lid at that point. If it's too hot with the lid on you're probably going to have to at least crack the lid, anyway, so it doesn't really matter if it doesn't fit right. You can experiment with a jar of water--just put 100-110 degree hot water in the jar and then check the temperature every hour or so for a few hours to see what temperature it stays at with the lid off/cracked or whatever. I don't know about the cream, but I'm pretty sure cream doesn't have much lactose in it anyway.
#205 of 770 Old 06-09-2006, 10:21 AM

I am so glad to see that there are other women out there that are going through the same thing that I am. I am new to this discussion board and posted my story elsewhere and was sent here. Here is my first post:
Has anyone ever had an overgrowth of Candida (yeast) in their GI tract? It can occur during or after pregnancy due to the flux in hormones. Unfortunately I am going through it right now. An overgrowth of yeast in the GI tract results in difficulty digesting properly. In order to stabilize my digestion and get everything back to normal I have to refrain from eating refined sugars, white flour and rice, non organic meat, fruit, and a few others.
I'd really like to know if anyone out there has ever gone through this. At times I feel like I am going crazy because I hate being on such a restricted diet.

I talked to my chiropractor about my symptoms because I thought that my digestive troubles were due to the fact that I broke my tailbone while pushing during labor. My chiropractor has started studying natural medicine and knows several other people that had an overgrowth of candida. The way to find out if you have it is to do a spit test in the morning. Before you drink or eating anything spit into a glass of water. If your spit floats, you are fine, if not then there is a yeast overgrowth. Sounds a little crazy I know. After I started taking a couple supplements to help my digestion, kill the bad yeast, and add the good yeast and changed my diet I felt like a new person.
I can pretty much handle the diet aside from the fact that I feel like I eat the same thing all of the time. The hard part is saying no to the foods I love. I always break down even though I feel like crap afterwards. Does anyone have any insight or advice?

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#206 of 770 Old 06-09-2006, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Yes the wide mouth fits and the regular does not.

At least one recipe for yogurt cream says to culture it for 30 hours. I have 3 scd cookbooks.

our family is <>< and :
#207 of 770 Old 06-09-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestbirths
I made the bacon and cabbage reciepe from pecan bread yesterday and 3 out of 6 people ate it and liked it. (we have 8 in our family, but two weren't there)
Okay, so now I'm craving this. Where did you find SCD legal bacon?
#208 of 770 Old 06-09-2006, 11:03 AM

I am so bad.: I cheated and am paying the price. I didnt have any nuts to grind to make bread with so I had some that was left over. Man did my stomach cramp after eating it. So did dds later that night. Gotta get back on track.

Do any of you use a yogurt maker for making your 24 hr yogurt? If so what one do you use? I dont want to spend too much.

Pattyla-what other SCD cookbooks do you have? Im always looking out for more cookbooks to add to my collection
#209 of 770 Old 06-09-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker
Do any of you use a yogurt maker for making your 24 hr yogurt? If so what one do you use? I dont want to spend too much.
There's a Salton one at Amazon.com for under $20. Several of us use it.
#210 of 770 Old 06-09-2006, 01:17 PM

Does that one have a temp guage on it? How do you know it stays at 95?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page